View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:13

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Site Suggestions 
Captain
Captain

Hey everyone!

As you may or may not know, we may or may not be having some site updates in the next few months. As such, it would be really helpful to hear what people have to say about the site, and what they would like to see in the future.

Anything would be helpful, and don't feel restricted to what the current site is based on or how it looks right now. The sky is the limit here.

09 Nov 2011, 00:15
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
It seams like people showing up here have a little trouble finding the active topics. It would be nice if we had an old matress type user to keep the front door decorated.
:borg:

09 Nov 2011, 01:58
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Matress's work is complete. I've moved this thread to the Announcements section, i've stickied it, and i've posted a new item on our site portal. Actually it's almost a copy of Nemitor's post above hehe.

Anyways, on with the suggestions! If you have any ideas for us guys, please post them here. Nemitor means it when he says the sky is the limit. :)

12 Nov 2011, 14:30
Profile WWW
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
So Nemitor, do you have time to do this now? To that I say :clap:

12 Nov 2011, 15:04
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

less answers to Nemitor's call...

did I understand it right? Make a new appearance to http://star-trek-games.com/ ? Or more?

My understanding (at Birth of the Empires) is:

- Homepage: "business card" with Download, Screenshots and less content -> generally ok atm, but could be updated (content, style)
what's still alive: Excalibur alive?, adding TrekWar?

- Wiki: compendium of supremacy with many details -> use actual software of mediawiki and throw away old wikis (maybe already done)

- Forum: ideas, questions, discussion and project working -> no changings necessary
In BotE-Wiki I'm doing links to forum threads example: Shields -> Thread 1, thread 2 and so on (problem of forum especially for newbies is that there's so much content but too much to read all the threads or to find anything in spite of "search"). Of course inside Wiki there's a building up content too...

Some Games might have own sites for Homepage/Wiki/Forum -> star-trek-games.com should give a short introduction to the game and then link to these own sites.

http://star-trek-games.com: Should this stay a site for BotF2 or can other non-commercial star trek games/projects be added for example a link to Freeorion or Trekwar...should star-trek-games.com get to "BotF2 and similar"?

by the way: I like trekwar.org-appearance - it's Homepage and Wiki in one site I believe

26 Nov 2011, 09:05

I would also second Kenneth's comment about an organization to the site that makes it easier to find things. Perhaps some automatic indexing system. Not sure how that would be done. You also said something about every user having their own "blog." There could also be a section where users could take it upon themselves to keep up an accurate summary of what is going on. A single source page for a summary of music progress, art progress, programming status etc. It isn't added to like the forums, but it is updated and replaced.

What we have already on this site needs some indexing.

30 Nov 2011, 14:08
Captain
Captain

Thank you everyone for your ideas! Before I respond to each individually, I thought I should put out a help wanted post:

I'm looking for a theme designer. The site will use the twig template engine, so all you need to know is HTML and CSS. I'll also post a request in the help wanted forum. If I don't find anyone we'll be left to my own devices :neutral:

Okay, here we go...

---------

Captain Bashir wrote:
So Nemitor, do you have time to do this now? To that I say :clap:

8-10 hours of statistics a day means no. I luckily got a short internship project this winter, and when I'm not working on that I'll be working on this.

Captain Bashir wrote:
I would also second Kenneth's comment about an organization to the site that makes it easier to find things. Perhaps some automatic indexing system. Not sure how that would be done. You also said something about every user having their own "blog." There could also be a section where users could take it upon themselves to keep up an accurate summary of what is going on. A single source page for a summary of music progress, art progress, programming status etc. It isn't added to like the forums, but it is updated and replaced.

What we have already on this site needs some indexing.

I can probably add a moderated wiki-like page for each section of a game. User blogs will exist, though maybe not in the first iteration. Features will be added over time.

reg wrote:
did I understand it right? Make a new appearance to http://star-trek-games.com/ ? Or more?

It will look very different, but have some of the same features.

reg wrote:
My understanding (at Birth of the Empires) is:

- Homepage: "business card" with Download, Screenshots and less content -> generally ok atm, but could be updated (content, style)
what's still alive: Excalibur alive?, adding TrekWar?

The site itself will be pretty simple. It will only have a couple menu options, which will make content not only easy to find, but also modify.

We'll have to go through and decide which projects get their own pages. I'd say those that are active and still under development will, but those like Allegiance, which is quite dead, will not.

reg wrote:
- Wiki: compendium of supremacy with many details -> use actual software of mediawiki and throw away old wikis (maybe already done)

I'll probably integrate a wiki. Like above, not at first, but eventually.

reg wrote:
- Forum: ideas, questions, discussion and project working -> no changings necessary

Yup, forum will be exactly the same as it is now. Probably a new theme though, which'll fit into the overall site.

reg wrote:
Some Games might have own sites for Homepage/Wiki/Forum -> star-trek-games.com should give a short introduction to the game and then link to these own sites.

Yup, that's happening. Games can have their own sites if they prefer to be hosted externally.

reg wrote:
http://star-trek-games.com: Should this stay a site for BotF2 or can other non-commercial star trek games/projects be added for example a link to Freeorion or Trekwar...should star-trek-games.com get to "BotF2 and similar"?

Gotta ask Jig. He owns the site and therefore would have to decide that. I'm just working on the software :). Though the way I'm building it, it could easly be more than just BOTF2.

reg wrote:
by the way: I like trekwar.org-appearance - it's Homepage and Wiki in one site I believe

I think its nice for a development site. The new site is pretty much completely the opposite though :/

01 Dec 2011, 16:15
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
So all you need to know is HTML and CSS? Too bad all I know at this point is some blender.
:redface:

01 Dec 2011, 18:22

I don't know HTML but have software that will output HTML code. I could design an idea or ideas with that.

02 Dec 2011, 19:25
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]