View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 18 May 2024, 20:15

Reply to topic  [ 856 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
 INGAME MUSIC - MUSICIANS WANTED! 
Crewman

Very good music and it was a pleasure to listen to it.

24 Sep 2006, 07:25
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Would there be any problem in using Holst's The Planets Suite for music in some parts of the game as well? It is not good for Holst that he is dead but that means we can use the music as far as the composer. The orchestra that recorded it just wants you to give them credit for it if you do use the recording. Here is a link to download it including MIDI format. Take a listen. The Jupiter for the Federation, Mars for the Klingon, Neptune for the Romulan.....

http://www.aquarianage.org/lore/holst.html

There is some "world class" music here!

Last edited by Kenneth_of_Borg on 24 Feb 2007, 13:18, edited 2 times in total.

29 Sep 2006, 14:11
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Just because he's dead doesn't mean there won't be problems. Elvis's family are millionaires and are still making millions in royalties! :(

Still, it would be worth it to have a real mixture of music. I like what i'm hearing of the midi's but we'll have to get some "real" copies of it - if we use it.

I personally don't gice a damn about taking stuff off the internet, but as Jig said himself, we've GOT to be whiter than white to ensure the project isn't closed down. :(

If there's any risk that we're breaking copyright etc. in any way that we won't be able to get away with, we're not gonna touch it.

*Edit - wasn't the music for Mars used in Super Mario Bros. 3? :?

God i'm sad that I know that. :lol:

29 Sep 2006, 23:21
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Good point. Here is what you can do. (That is if you can use this file type)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Planets

Down the page at this link is another listing of the individual section of the suite in ogg file type. If you click on the info link for each file you will see it was recorded by the US Air Force Band. All they ask is a listing of credit for the recording. That takes care of rights to the performer. As the composer is dead he does not collect for the score. As Holst is not recorded here performing the planets he does not hold rights as a performer, as would a recording of Elvis singing. Jail House Rock with Elvis singing will be a problem regarding copyrights in BOTF 2. If you cannot use this file type I will have to look harder. Just ripping someone’s CD would be a problem with the performers rights. The recording of The Planets Suite by the Pigdump Symphony Orchestra will get us in trouble. I could hum a few notes if that would help? Make is so number one! :D When I get time I will look around for some other Si Fi sounds that are public domain.

30 Sep 2006, 02:28
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Please keep in mind that Elvis is alive and well and back on Romulus. The Federation Romulan agreements do allow for copyright protection. Holst on the other hand was English and is by all accounts dead.

30 Sep 2006, 14:49
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

KennethGF wrote:
Please keep in mind that Elvis is alive and well and back on Romulus. The Federation Romulan agreements do allow for copyright protection. Holst on the other hand was English and is by all accounts dead.

That's because the Men in Black really deported him in a top-secret operation that not even the US government knew about. They tranquilized him to appear dead, brought his body to downtown Manhattan and then launched a spacecraft that appeared to be a firework display for cover.

*peers around*
Is this the wrong forums? I don't see any pictures of K and J.

03 Oct 2006, 14:31
Crewman

Hey, new member here ! Happy to help out. Working on some music for you... I'll be in touch with a submittal soon.

14 Oct 2006, 05:48

EXCELLENT!

That's exactly the kind of thing I want to see more of on the forums - new people actually having a go at making something that could make it into the game!

Please, if there's anyone else out there who wants to have a go, then say so and do it!

I can tell you right now that if you don't make something, your work won't make it into the game. :wink: :lol:

By the way, welcome to the forums, jdvgmg! :D

Last edited by Matress_of_evil on 26 Oct 2006, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

14 Oct 2006, 10:55
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Way to go jdvgmg! I look forward to hearing your work. 8)

16 Oct 2006, 02:57
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I can't find my copy of FruityLoops.. dammit!

When a friend brings me his cd over I'll giva it a shot. I got a real dandy TNG battle music in my head that I can get rid off, and it's just DYING to be heard :D

25 Oct 2006, 09:40
Profile ICQ

Well it's been about four months now. Anyone got any music to delight us with? Anyone want to have a go themselves?

I have to say I am a bit disappointed with the lack of submissions since this thread was started. :(

22 Feb 2007, 19:15
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hey all ok heres the deal. Firstly I haven't seen anyone submit their own music. Secondy everyone is speaking of violating copyrights and stealing the use of music. I don't think you guys understand how expensive and difficult it is to obtain permissions to use music ESPECIALLY historically well known composers. You pay not just the people who performed the music but all the companies involved in distributing that music. I can't imagine actually acquiring license to Holst's suite when movie directors in the past have the hardest time.

I am telling you now it is NOT an option to use well known music. You ought think about asking video game composers to submit their music to use for us (ie anyone who has done Star Trek games).

For me, I have paused on the development of the music because no one seems very receptive to the music nor has asked me to make any improvements or new versions, etc. Without this feedback I don't see a reason to compose and complete the entire BOTF suite when it seems likely no one wants to use my music.

I am not able to download the test BofE game but if it does not feature any of my music then that is already a signal.

Though I must say that the Deustch game has CC licensed my Federation theme.

23 Feb 2007, 07:02
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hi Eric.

Of course, we feature your music. Nothing seems more unlikely that we won't use your music ;). (double inversed negation, what a sentence :D)

I'm not getting and I'm not complying with what was formerly written here by some guys about "stealing or buying" music. We want only self-composed music, nothing else.

And we want your music along with others' cause you're right when you say one needs more than one musician to keep the game's music interesting and the player surprised/entertained.
I think Sir P. can better talk to you about this than I do (cause I joined in here a little late..).

My personal guess is that Gavin screwed a lot public effort up with his disappearing leaving nothing behind. It is a bad situation, no doubt, but there's nothing else to do than pull it up, spit it out or swallow it up. I was just recently listening to mstrobel's resampling of your botf2 finale and it sounded really nice to me though I think it was a little "thin" (in lack of better words) at the beginning. But that was the only thing I noticed. Maybe ingame it fits better again when having something on screen too while listening.

I'd be very glad if you finish the botf2 suite and I'll give my feedback as much as I understand of music of course ;).

23 Feb 2007, 10:22
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I have been busy with models for the game so have not been looking in all the threads. Guess I missed that part where someone suggesting stealing music. That we can not do that has been discussed over and over and over on this site. I hope to here new music when and if it becomes available. A post in the news or general discussion would help. :wink:

23 Feb 2007, 20:27
Crewman

Hello hello I am very delighted to hear your positive feedback and what has been going on. I guess I just needed to stir the waters, I didn't expect to be featured on the front page! I'm more than happy to keep going, I just needed a response or something.

The fileplanet site kind of crashed for some reason so if there is an alternative place to upload the mp3s that would be great. Otherwise I can try and set it up there again. I have completed the following.

- BOTF Opening / Closing
- 2 Federation Themes
- Klingon Theme
- Romulan Theme
- Cardassian Theme
- Dominion Theme
- 4 Battle Themes

Though I realize the type of game BOTF is, I will be making another round of themes more subdued with percussion. I also have been experimenting with Homeworld type sounds and atmospheres.

23 Feb 2007, 23:31
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Woh that is a great amount of work. And all under my nose as well. Sorry for being oblivious to it!

Although I think it might be a while before the battle themes get used! :)

23 Feb 2007, 23:41
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Hey, I just listened to some of things that've been linked to, and it's good stuff. Got my support! :)

I just honestly never even knew this 'Jobs and Positions' board even existed, its at the bottom of the index and.. been too lazy to scroll.. and I typically don't wander out of the 'General Chat' anyway.

Keep up the good work, it's good stuff, really. Besides, lots of people use material from the classical composers, originality is much better.

23 Feb 2007, 23:45
Klingon Honor Guard
Klingon Honor Guard

I duno if this guy will work for botf or for free but he did the music for egosoft x series games. Which the music has always been awsome.

Alexei Zakharov is his name and he is russian.

Website is here

http://www.alexeizakharov.tk/

e-mail: alexei @ egosoft.com

Or msn: dr_project @ msn.com

If lead developers of said projects can email him to find out if he can help.

23 Feb 2007, 23:51
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

I actually used one of Alexei's tracks in my Galactic Supremacy class project. Very good stuff.

23 Feb 2007, 23:52
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

atm we are preparing the 3rd release of our (pre-;))Alpha-series due next week so Sir Pustekuchen is maybe not online this weekend to check all this out.

maybe until this sharepoint works we could use the downloads section here? Eric then needs to have access or email jig the file (should be "emailable" since mp3s aren't usually that big..).

24 Feb 2007, 10:59
Profile WWW
Jig of the Puff
Jig of the Puff

they can be mailed to my g-mail account, it`s big enough lol, jigalypuff at gmail.com then i can upload them to the server.

24 Feb 2007, 11:26
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Your music on MySpace is excellent davumaya. I am looking forward to hearing that made for the games.

24 Feb 2007, 13:27
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

So, where do I find the files? I heard the BotF2 finale a long time ago and hasn't seen anything after that to reply on or give feedback on. And even now with the news post up front I still have no clue where to go to listen to them.
So, can anyone bother to post a link..?

24 Feb 2007, 18:54
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

You can find the recording I made of Eric's BotF2 Finale here.

24 Feb 2007, 19:20
Profile WWW
Jig of the Puff
Jig of the Puff

were`s the cardassian battle music? is it on the server mike?

24 Feb 2007, 20:19
Klingon Honor Guard
Klingon Honor Guard

Mike that music is nice.

25 Feb 2007, 00:27
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

davumaya wrote:

I have completed the following.

- BOTF Opening / Closing
- 2 Federation Themes
- Klingon Theme
- Romulan Theme
- Cardassian Theme
- Dominion Theme
- 4 Battle Themes

I have heard the finale, Mike. It was a very nice piece of music! But what I meant was, where do I find the other files like the ones above?

25 Feb 2007, 11:57

Skeeter deleted the only Cardassian trakc that I knew we had because it was off DS9 or something like that, Jig.

...If you're talking about any other music though, I know nothing of it. The ONLY music that I know of are:

Ambush Attack Battle.mp3
Cardassianmusic.mp3
Ending Theme.mp3
Federation Theme.mp3
Federation Theme Serenity.mp3
Klingon Long Music.mp3*
Klingon music 10.mp3*
Klingon music 11.mp3*
Klingon music 12.mp3*
Klingons_24.mp3*
Klingon Short Music.mp3*
Opening Theme.mp3
Romulans.mp3

*As far as I know, the Klingon music is ftaken rom the various series and films and are therefore unusable. I only list them coz they're amazing tracks and really good for inspiration. :wink:

If anyone knows of any other tracks - especially yours Davumaya :P - PLEASE let me know about them so I can upload them for people to download.

Centurion, I have uploaded all the music tracks that I have as a 46.4Mb .zip file in the very first post of this thread. If a thread in this forum has been made by me, you will generally find that the first post is the most important one because I keep updating it with the latest information from that thread. The shiplist thread is another example of where I do that, and Mike also does it with the latest version of Supremacy in his UI thread. :wink:

Download The Music

25 Feb 2007, 12:38
Profile WWW
Klingon Honor Guard
Klingon Honor Guard

Perhaps moe you should make a music job topic which lists like a shiplist, which has a list of whats done, not done, and whats in production. Also listing who its made by. Then letting ppl just post that "ill take this one please" and a month later when done for example you can update thread saying done etc.

25 Feb 2007, 12:48
Jig of the Puff
Jig of the Puff

there`s no dl link when i go to the the page were the music is moe :cry:

25 Feb 2007, 13:13
Reply to topic   [ 856 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next