View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 19 May 2024, 07:27

Reply to topic  [ 1234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 42  Next
 THE MODEL DATABASE - 3D MODELLERS WANTED! 
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

@Ken, there is no need for bash and retexturing you can find loads of Dominion ships at Battleclinc :wink:

18 Aug 2007, 08:01
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
I see 49 ships and stations for the Dominion on Battleclinic. We need around 33 ships and station for the Dominion on our ship list.

To me some ships on Battleclinic are great, some are good but many others are not. We seam to come up short.

I have taken some of the low poly ships if I like the shape. These can serve as an outline for our ship. That is the case were I am putting up a ship someone built as Federation but it is in our Dominion slot. If you find good models please load them up to SharePoint as a version.

Once I am done looking for ideas like this I intend to come back and slowly make each ship a game ready model. As we check out or rebuild each one we can label the folders as game ready.

Last edited by Kenneth_of_Borg on 18 Aug 2007, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

18 Aug 2007, 09:21
Crewman

Malvoisin wrote:
well, siggi is a modeler and he's primarily modding for the Ultimate Dominion Mod of botf (hence the extra-Dominion ships). There's a little synergy effect here since he's doin the same ships we need, just below 1k in poly size and sliced in the end. But as he said he keeps the unsliced version and can also help with adapting and improving the textures he made for his models. There are a few more Dominion Transporters and Colonyships on his schedule so it might be interesting to keep an eye on his work since those ships require at least some creativity for we don't know much about any "canon" design..

Hi everyone!
I am a little nervous... :roll::oops::wink:... Since this is my very first post on this forum, I'd just like to compliment everyone for the outstanding work you guys are doing. To one like myself who is very new to the whole 3D artwork field, it's impressive what you guys got done here.

So far, I have only been making a couple meshes for mods of the vanilla game and given its limitations, I am used to commandments like: Go over 500 polys unsliced and the graphics engine gets a heart-attack! (Which shows on the screenies Malvoisin posted). But the models work in-game, which is what matters.

Kenneth contacted me via PM on the modding board, but a bitch named real life got at me recently, so please excuse my delayed reply.

So, if anyone is interested in taking a look at what I did sofar, I will post a zip with 3ds models and tga textures at the sharepoint site.

Models I did:
Borg Coffin (Borg meshes are unpublished yet, designed for a Mod yet to come)
Cardassian Hideki (first own mesh, bear with me, please!)
Dominion Enforcer (Fast Cruiser / Heavy Destroyer type of ship)
Dominion Scout
Federation Centaur
Federation Excelsior
Federation Excelsior II (Lakota variant)
Federation Norway (new scratch build and textured)

Models I am currently working on:
Borg Sphere
Borg Pyramid
Dominion Transport
Dominion Colony Ship
Federation Defiant (Armada II conversion)
Federation Galaxy (Armada II conversion)
Klingon Bird-of-Death (scratch build, Heavy Strike cruiser ship)

Models I am planning to do anyway (for own Mod projects)
Borg Cube (standard and tactical)
Borg Diamond
Borg Unicomplex
Coridan Staryards (Minor race spaceborne installation)
Federation Aegan (possibly Armada II conversion)
Federation Miranda
Federation Peregrine
Federation Prometheus
Federation Sovereign (possibly Armada II conversion)
Federation Steamrunner (possibly Armada II conversion)
Klingon spacefighter type
Reman Scorpion
Reman Warbird

All the above meshes I intent to get done till the end of this year, those I am currently working on should be finished by mid of September. All will be low-poly (around 500 at most!).

Don't know if I am a modeler your could "use" but I am definitely one willing to share his work, should you chose to use it. Given the limited time, I am afraid I won't be able to do any substantial changes to meshes myself, but anyone of you who should like to do so is welcome indeed.

Please keep in mind that I am a noob of sorts to this. Up to three or four months ago, I had never done any 3D modeling at all, so I am very much still learning. So please bear with me :wink:.

Cheers,
Siggi

EDIT:
:oops: Could someone tell me how I sign up or in or how I can add files to the sharepoint? Alternatively, to whom could I send the files? I could also set up an 4shared Account and post them there. Sorry for my ignorance.

18 Aug 2007, 13:21
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Welcome and it is good to have you on the team. PM to Mstrobel to get a long-in to SharePoint. This will let you upload files. Here is a link to a thread about models on SharePoint.

http://botfii.armadafleetcommand.com/in ... pic&t=1760

Here is our ship list of needed models

http://botfii.armadafleetcommand.com/in ... 36&start=0

The models there are in three major categories

1. game ready

2. look nice but need work. The texture and or mesh needs work to meet our need.

3. Trash we can not use as is. These are just there to show some feature we might use in a game ready model

Yes, we are working on a higher poly count in general. It is not the count that is key though. If it looks good it is good. We just want the curves to look curved and not angular.

If you have a new version of a model we already have on SharePoint just load it up as a new version of that ship. (R Scout II V2) R = Romulan and V = version

I have not done much to the Cardassian ship list as Jig is working on all the Cardassian ships.

18 Aug 2007, 14:08
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

PM Mattress_Of_Evil or Mstrobel and they should be able to register you for shrepoint, i think that is correct,

Also check with them about Poly Counts, i'am sure you can go higher then 500 per ship but i could be wrong best check with them.

Regards Wolfe

18 Aug 2007, 14:13
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Welcome Siggi!

I m interested in Coridan Shipyard cause we need it for Coridan special structure! Any chance of creating Coridan Cuiser?

18 Aug 2007, 14:34
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

You got me interested. What does that ship look like? I can not remember the show it was in. This is all I found about it.

I am working on a final version of the USS Moe, (F Cruiser V, Intrepid) but I am interested in this ship. Do you want to give it a go Siggi?

Last edited by Kenneth_of_Borg on 19 Aug 2007, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.

18 Aug 2007, 16:03
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

polycount for ships can easily be in the 2000-3000 range

18 Aug 2007, 17:32
Profile ICQ
Crewman

Will send a PM to Mstrobel right away, thanks for the info.

@Zeleni: The Coridan Staryard will be a large Orbital station, something between a shipyard and an armed Starbase. As to its stats, I imagine it to be tough, but not unbeatable to a determined attack (at least for the mods I want it for).

@Kenneth_of_Borg: The pic you posted I think is from an episode of "Enterprise" which dealt with the Coridans. Iirc it shows a small assault craft capable of athmospheric flight. I may use it as a basis for a Coridan cruiser. I will give it a go but it will be some weeks until I get to it.

Will be nice doing models without having to worry about Polycount. BTW: What's your upper limit? I think Kenneth talked about 5,000 for ships. Is that correct?

Cheers,
Siggi

18 Aug 2007, 17:39
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Yes. Ships up to 5,000 but just getting over 1,000 takes care of most big issues. Orbital batteries will be limited to 2,000 and outposts, yards, Starbases will be limited to 25,000.

http://botfii.armadafleetcommand.com/in ... pic&t=1760

19 Aug 2007, 00:25
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hi Siggi, welcome to the site! :D

Sorry I haven't been around much lately but things have been a bit hectic for me - and my sister is back from a 6-week holiday so my internet access is considerably more restricted than it has been of late. :evil:

Anyways, if you haven't done so yet, send a PM to Mike (MStrobel) for access to sharepoint - as far as I know he is the only person that can add people to sharepoint.

I've noticed that people are uploading or building ships that aren't in the shiplist. The list of"extra" ships was only a few before I went on holiday - it was pretty much only the Galaxy-X, Norway, and the Super Vor'cha. However, the sheer number of extra models are now making me question the whole point of the shiplist.

The shiplist is intended to be the definitive list of what will be in "the game" - obviously there are four games in development now, with different programmers and requirements. I think we really need to discuss the whole point of the shiplist and the models themselves -

Are we still going to have a list, or should we try to cram every model we can possibly think of into "the game"? This thread would simply be an information repository for people to refer to then.

Should we have different shiplists depending on the individual games?

What actually are the limits for the models? The limits seem to be slowly spiralling upwards - it was originally 1000 polies for ships and 5000 for Stations. Now it seems to be 5000 for ships and 25000 for Stations! 8O

What will the stats for the ships be? This was originally worked out proper by Dafedz, but soo many ships and stations have been added that the whole thing will need to be reworked. Any volunteers? :P

Lol na, I don't expect anyone to do this - at least not yet... :wink:

Oh, I have some news as well - Dafedz isn't dead! He has suffered a pretty major computer crash and simply can't afford to fix it at the mo. I'll make a proper thread on this as he sent me an email. With any luck he will be coming back at some time in the future. He knows what has happened lately coz I sent him an uberemail, but I guess I'll need to send him another one with the latest round of changes.

21 Aug 2007, 13:16
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Good to have you back MOE.

I feel we need to stick to the existing ship list. We need that structure to have a balanced set of ship abilities. If the individual developers wish to modify it for there individual games they will. We have too many games to set up individual lists.

The "extra" ships are not intended to replace or supplant the shiplist. A sharepoint, as I have used them in other projects, is to hold documents in development so the whole community can work on them. As I have found interesting models I have put some on SharePoint. They contain interesting design features that we can use on a model that would later become a ship on the list and in a game. Parts of these models could become a ship on the ship list of major or minor races. They are marked extra to indicate they are outside of the list in their current form.

So I have not been treating sharepoint as repository for finished models only. Once we do finish a model and tests it we can mark it as "game ready."

The process of working through the list ship by ship is what we are now doing with the help of Models Please. We will now slowly morph into a finished set of models. :wink:

I have gone with the poly count and texture file limits set by Mike as he was the only that responded when I asked for clarification.

21 Aug 2007, 14:15
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

I conccur with Ken, still we need shiplist for minor ships.Maybe we need some kind of advert in General Thread for this task _ :?:

21 Aug 2007, 14:29
Crewman

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
I see 49 ships and stations for the Dominion on Battleclinic. We need around 33 ships and station for the Dominion on our ship list.

To me some ships on Battleclinic are great, some are good but many others are not. We seam to come up short.

I have taken some of the low poly ships if I like the shape. These can serve as an outline for our ship. That is the case were I am putting up a ship someone built as Federation but it is in our Dominion slot. If you find good models please load them up to SharePoint as a version.

Once I am done looking for ideas like this I intend to come back and slowly make each ship a game ready model. As we check out or rebuild each one we can label the folders as game ready.

I'm having issues with this Dominion Shiplist.

I only see 21 listed here.......
http://www.trekmania.net/temp_files/botf2_home.htm

And I don't think the breakdown of ship classifications on this list work for the Dominion.

***FOOD FOR THOUGHT ***
1) The Founders can exist in any state, I think the Dominion should be able to colonize ANY class of planet because of that fact.
2) The Dominion should have to build Vorta Cloning Facilities and Jem Hadar Genetic Breeding center BUT only on the planets that can support humanoid life forms.

Known Dominion vessels ....

1) Attack Ship

2) Battleship

3) V-Type

4) Battleship Prototype

5) Confrontation Cruiser

Known Dominion Bases.....

1) Internment Camp
http://www.neutralzone.de/database/indexfra.htm
I'm thinking this should be buildable IE: Klingon Prison Camps

2) Ketrecel White Storage Facility
I'm thinking this should be buildable IE: One per system

3) Orbital Shipyard
I'll build it :wink:

4) Base Soukara
In DS9 it is located on a Planet but I see no reason we can use the name as a class of space station.

Minor Races of the Gamma Quadrant:

1) Hunters
http://www.neutralzone.de/database/Alien/Gamma/HuntersShip02.jpg

2) Karemma

3) Skreen
http://www.neutralzone.de/database/Alien/Gamma/SkrreeanEmigrantShip07.gif

4) Tosk
http://www.neutralzone.de/database/Alien/Gamma/_ToskShip.gif

5) Wadi
http://www.neutralzone.de/database/Alien/Gamma/_WadiShip.jpg

I have these other Dominion Ships OutaLance has done ......

Dominion Cruiser

Dominion Light Cruiser

Jem Hadar Scarab

Jem'Hadar Super Carrier

Jem'Hadar Mobile Attack Carrier Maybe an early design?

Tenak'talar Class Cruiser

Vigilent Class (Possible Early Design?)

Virulent Class Destroyer

Dominion Transport

I have these other Dominion Bases OutaLance has done ......

Battlestation

Dominion Defence Outpost

Dominion Repair Facility

Dominion Shipyard Complex

Dominion Starbase

Questions:
1) Does there have to be 33 Dominion ships and Stations ?
2) Does the Dominion really need PROBE ships?
3) Scouts ? Don't the Attack Ships (BUG) fill this role as well as the attack role?
4) If there does need to be 21 or 33 Dominion ships should it be considered to include the Breen as Dominion Ships?

Feel free to port what ya need Kenneth_of_Borg

Last edited by ModelsPlease on 21 Aug 2007, 19:01, edited 2 times in total.

21 Aug 2007, 16:54
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

I ll suggest something else... instead of makeing 3 models for Attack Ship I, II and III we can use one model with different textures :wink:

Last edited by Zeleni on 21 Aug 2007, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

21 Aug 2007, 18:07
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Might be possible top lower that number by simply using the same model for the later tech ones and just change textures, considering the Dominion ships are pretty generic.

Regards Wolfe

21 Aug 2007, 18:08
Crewman

cdrwolfe wrote:
Might be possible top lower that number by simply using the same model for the later tech ones and just change textures, considering the Dominion ships are pretty generic.

Regards Wolfe

Agreed the selection is very limited if you minus fan designs. BUT if we don't reverse engineer the ships and create new models to represent them, the ships (in game) will look out of place against other early designs.

This could be solved IF the Dominion start with a TECH level of 5 or 6.
BUT.....
1) Their ships are insanely expensive to build, and take a long time to build even the smallest designs
2) Their economy is always poor and never gets better
3) In the beginning you can only build Attack Ships (BUG), Transports, Colony Ships, and Outposts. No capital ships, No Starbases. AND as stated earlier...Their ships are insanely expensive to build and take along time to build etc...
4) Their TECH advancement takes forever which allows all other races to catch up. In the time it takes everyone else to go from TECH 0 to 12, it takes the Dominion the same amount of time to go from TECH 5 or 6 to 12. AND they're not building new designs just ugrading the ships designs they already have.
5) NO RACES other than the Hunters* Karemma* Skrreean* Tosk* Wadi *, and Cardassians should ever agree to trade relations with the Dominion. This will reinforce thought #2

Just thinking out loud :)

21 Aug 2007, 19:15
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

hm, can't we just change and adapt the textures to a somewhat "earlier" design and leave the models resp. meshes intact? that way, we could work around that problem with creating all new models from scratch for each attack ship..

21 Aug 2007, 20:08
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Us Borg are not big on counting. We are more into the arts.

I checked again and it looks something like 31 models including ships, yard, outpost, starbases.... for the Dominion.

We could do away with the probe ships but it would call for refiguring the balance of fleet implied in the ship list. This was a huge statistical project.

http://www.trekmania.net/temp_files/botf2_home.htm

We are going to have to tweak the balance in the beta testing anyway. My gut feeling is we did a shiplist already. Let's build the models and then see how it works in Beta test phase. If we go back now .... well ...we will never get done. Let's save working on the list and it's balance when we see what this one does in game.

The probes, scouts and surveyors do have different abilities. They are not the same thing.

21 Aug 2007, 21:20
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
Us Borg are not big on counting. We are more into the arts.
I'm not sure why, but this really cracks me up :lol:.

21 Aug 2007, 21:24
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Good news that Defedz may make it back from subspace soon. We can put questions to him about the shiplist.

Models Please will be leaving tomorrow on extended travel. He will be back in late November. We all wish you a safe return from the Delta quadrant. We will leave the wormhole open for you.

I look forward to more work on the ships for our list, such as it is. In the mean time I will stick to sure things like intrepid class (voyager.)

21 Aug 2007, 22:08
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
Good news that Defedz may make it back from subspace soon. We can put questions to him about the shiplist.

Models Please will be leaving tomorrow on extended travel. He will be back in late November. We all wish you a safe return from the Delta quadrant. We will leave the wormhole open for you.
Good news indeed, I haven't heard from Dafedz in months. Sorry to see you leaving so soon ModelsPlease, but we're all very glad to have you onboard. Have a safe trip, and we look forward to your return.

It might be worthwhile to go back and revisit the shiplist. I don't remember all my previous issues off the top of my head, but I seem to remember thinking that we could use some more Enterprise-era ships (I rather liked the Poseidon class from Legacy).

21 Aug 2007, 22:54
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Well perhaps I am wrong about not having four Shiplists or no list at all.

Supremacy is your game and you will make it the way you want it. You are here. Defedz is not and he is not making a game.

If you give us a list please stick to it. At least stick with it until beta testing. If there is no list we will just make models and see what happens.

22 Aug 2007, 01:24
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
Well perhaps I am wrong about not having four Shiplists or no list at all.

Supremacy is your game and you will make it the way you want it. You are here. Defedz is not and he is not making a game.

If you give us a list please stick to it. At least stick with it until beta testing. If there is no list we will just make models and see what happens.
I have never created a ship list myself, but there is a fairly "complete" list in the BotF2 database (dafedz's site). However, I'm open to revising it. I'll make a point to try to at least look over it this week/weekend to see if there are any ships that I think we should add or replace. My general rule is that I'm open to revising any game feature until it has been accepted and implemented. At that point, anything other than balancing and bugfixing is just working backwards...

22 Aug 2007, 06:39
Profile WWW

Hey there Models Please, glad to finally meet you!

The entire shiplist in the link above was created by a guy called Dafedz - you might know of him - or his BOTF mods. :wink:

Dafedz has suffered from a complete motherboard crash though, so hasn't been around in weeks. In that time, the number of models has mushroomed, so I created this thread to try and keep track of the changes. Whilst the link is the original shiplist, the FIRST PAGE of THIS thread is where all the current models are being displayed. (I urgently need to update it though :oops:)

Dafedz balanced the shiplist so it would work for all of the rces. It now needs to be rebalanced with the news designs. Just because we are asking for X number of ship, doesn't mean we WILL need them all, but the more designs we have, the better the choices we can make later on.

I know it seems like we're creating work for you, but any models that are "spare" will be kept on the site for individuals to download themselves, should they want a particular design later on. We are trying to keep choices open for the fans. :wink:

The Breen are a minor race - so the Breen models will NOT be included as Dominion models. Same goes for the Karemma.

HOWEVER, in the game, the races that are known to be part of the Dominion will have very high afinity ratings for the Dominion - they will always want to join the Dominion where possible. It will still be possible that these races will join another Empire, though!

22 Aug 2007, 08:31
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I might take a peek at the shiplist later.. been kinda busy... hehe..with things like THIS:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index. ... n.html#new

22 Aug 2007, 13:53
Profile ICQ
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

hell yeah, FreeSpace FTW!

22 Aug 2007, 14:58
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Changing what class is assigned to what type should not be a problem. Change the types and you upset the balance of fleets such as it is now.

Models Please had suggestions for changes of class within our existing Shiplist set of ship types.
I have made the Klingon Destroyer III into the K'teremny

The Klingon Battle Cruiser IV is now the D37 K'Vek

Klingon Surveyor II is now the Choq'Batlh

I could not get the D-18 Maveq for Destroyer IV or the C-9A as Heavy Cruiser II. Those models by Models Please cause my MilkShape to crash. MP can take a look when he gets back.

22 Aug 2007, 18:37
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Looking over the Klingon Scouts I see some contradictions in recent suggestions. My idea is to keep the scouts all B'rel. Why? We can go on forever about what ship when and how. In the end a lot of people will play the games and most will not know from scout or destroyer or what. If all scouts look like small B'rel than there is a visual recognition of Klingon scout ship. We can make a large B'rel for something else if so moved. If someone wants to do different in their game than OK. For now I will move our B'rel Scout I and II up to Scout II and III. Models Please had suggested at one point we use an earlier kind of B'rel for Scout I than what we had. I will look to build or find such a model for the Scout I slot.

We can put other options in as Variants of the scouts if someone asks. The final choice for each game is not up to me.

(I never should have let them put in that emotion chip)

24 Aug 2007, 00:11
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I've been looking up the shiplist and ship balancing and for hte most part it looks good (to me).

There are a few changes I'd recomed, but nothing too serius:

Having the 2:1 avarage rule for the hull...or maby better 3:1 - as in the ratio shields:hull .. since we all know in ST the hull isn't nothing to laugh about)
Besides, that would also mean that loosing shield doesn't automaticly equal sure defeat (alltough it's very unlikely you will win)

Cost and mantainance play a really big role as IMHO should each be worth 2 points when considering ship balance, not 1.

I see potential for more ship put into the shiplist and I see possible changes for some ships (stat related) but more or less things seem OK.

EDIT - I'd give cardassians the cheapest ships...their ships realyl are crappy trough the whole show and they allways seemed to have a s**load of them.

Klingons would still have low mantaiance, but somewhat better shields.

24 Aug 2007, 11:14
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 1234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 42  Next