View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 02 May 2024, 20:02

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Disorientation 
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
When we save ship models is there an axis they should line up with to indicate forward and up? The model programs are built on an xyz axis system. When the models load into the game do they all need to face +X with up as +Y (so they are all going the same direction and correct side up?)

Online models seam to be all over the map.

19 Sep 2007, 21:37
Jig of the Puff
Jig of the Puff

i believe this is the usual

19 Sep 2007, 22:17
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I see. So whatever the 3D program shows as front and top view will come out the same across all programs. Some online models come out turned around and off center. I will check that as I double check each model.

Thanks.

20 Sep 2007, 02:37
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

The plot thickens. It appears that when I orient a model in Milkshape 3D for meshing and then load it into Ultimate Unwarp3D for textures the model is rotated 90 degrees on the x axis (the left right width axis.) This make the front turn to point up like a plane just went into a vertical climb.

All I need is to know what the models will do when loaded into our 3D combat engine. How will that software reinterpret up, down, left, right, back and forward from my model programs?

Is there any way we can know that at this point? Would it help to look for a shareware 3D combat engine or is it all going to change later on? :?

Last edited by Kenneth_of_Borg on 22 Sep 2007, 03:12, edited 2 times in total.

21 Sep 2007, 22:09
Klingon Honor Guard
Klingon Honor Guard

Really isnt an issue as its pee easy to load the model again, rotate it and save it if its not facing the right direction.

22 Sep 2007, 00:22
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

I would assume the ship would point along the positive Z axis. The default view would be a bird's eye view looking down on the top of the ship, so the positive Y axis would be coming out of the screen, and the negative Y axis would be going into the screen. You can use the right-hand rule to figure out the rest.

But it really doesn't matter as long as the models are consistent.

22 Sep 2007, 01:21
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

If you set it Z front right hand rule in one program the axis in the next program points in the wrong direction. (Z axis is exchanged with Y)

I hope it does not matter. There will be something over 250 models made by multiple builder with a number of different programs. We will just have to check each model as it goes into the combat engine.

22 Sep 2007, 03:05
Jig of the Puff
Jig of the Puff

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
The plot thickens. It appears that when I orient a model in Milkshape 3D for meshing and then load it into Ultimate Unwarp3D for textures the model is rotated 90 degrees on the x axis (the left right width axis.) This make the front turn to point up like a plane just went into a vertical climb.

All I need is to know what the models will do when loaded into our 3D combat engine. How will that software reinterpret up, down, left, right, back and forward from my model programs?

Is there any way we can know that at this point? Would it help to look for a shareware 3D combat engine or is it all going to change later on? :?

if you saved as obj then this is the way that format saves, don`t ask me why it just does :lol:

22 Sep 2007, 16:55
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

+y = up
+z = forward
+x = port

This is pretty standard -- but not universal -- within the movie and game industry.

22 Sep 2007, 21:05
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]