View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 05 May 2024, 23:57

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Help Offer! 
Crewman

Hello Everyone!

I'm a BOTF fan and I just found out of this community. What you are doing here is amazing and I want to help. I have no special skills. However I work in this kind of bussines, I am a game tester for EA. I also did HTML testing. Just tell me how can I help.. See ya!

05 Nov 2007, 21:39
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hey there Marine, and welcome to the site! If you want to help make the game, then try speaking to one of the devs on the forums. They will be able to help you much better than I can - I honestly don't know what programming skills are required at the moment. Programming goes over my head. :oops:

We actually have <almost> 4000 people on the forums, so you would think that we had 4000 playtesters. Unfortunately this isn't the case due to people losing their login info, lurkers, and whatnot. Still, tons of people test the games. The real problem that we have is that few people actually tell us about their experiences/gripes/crashes/undying love for the games. :P

If you could help us with that, it would go a long way to helping us debugify any releases as and when they happen. I'm sure you're used to doing that if you really are an EA playtester. :)

Welcome to the site. :)

05 Nov 2007, 21:57
Profile WWW
Crewman

Ok I get it! I will be very sincere here cose I really want to help. I will be able to test only in weekends due to the amount of work I have on my job. What I can gurantee to you is that I will try to test whatever you provide me with in as much a professional way that I can. I can proove to you and to the managers of this forum that I work for EA but that will be privately. I hope you understand me I can't reveal personal information here. :) With all these beeing said I am waiting for your reply. See ya

05 Nov 2007, 23:40
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Try a PM to mstrobel. He is the dev of Supremacy and has been looking for some help with game balancing. You may be able to help with that but mstrobel can say more. We are all weekend worriers here. Welcome to the collective. :mrgreen:

Last edited by Kenneth_of_Borg on 06 Nov 2007, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

05 Nov 2007, 23:48
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

marine4814 wrote:
I can proove to you and to the managers of this forum that I work for EA but that will be privately. I hope you understand me I can't reveal personal information here. :)

do I have to say anything more? :lol:

anyway, marine welcome to the boards and forget about my remark above, it's just an "insider-joke" :)

if you wanna seriously test the games, I suggest you start with supremacy. bote is undergoing some major changes and will not be not available for a few weeks or so but is definitely also worth a shot for any professional tester like you. Look at the screenies and the feedback threads of all games here and you'll see that the games are really worth the try! ;)

06 Nov 2007, 08:09
Profile WWW
Crewman

Ok then. Please tell me all the people I have to contact in order to start. I will get in touch with your dude you mentioned above (cannot pronounce his name) and let's roll! :D Engage!

06 Nov 2007, 22:21
Crewman

Something else... :) We need to get organized.. In order for the testing to be effective we need toroundup all the testers and get to know each other, have a centralised bug library ( in an excel.. not too fancy) get a bit organized in order to know who is testing what .. what bugs/issues did that person find. That will save us a lot of time and trouble.. trust me :D .. Don't get me wrong .. I am not here to lecture you guys or anything but as long as you need ideas .. I'm full of them :)

06 Nov 2007, 23:27

We already have a bugs forum, Marine. If people find bugs, then they can post them in there. The community is very loose - if people want to help, then they can. People are not locked into particular roles and forbidden to do anything else. We are a fan community and have lives to lead. We're not being paid to do this and are making our own sacrifices to make it possible. Having a more formal structure is therefore not neccesary nor desirable.

If we need to talk, then we usually communicate via the PM system, or talk in the forum's IRC chatroom. (Which isn't currently online as the forums were overhauled just under two weeks ago. Several other things such as the news page, the downloads page, and the forum stats are also not yet working but will be sorted out in the coming weeks and months)

The forums are our main place of discussion, and have served us well for the last three years. I don't see much need for any changes or meetings. (Which rarely happen anyway) Just download the demos, play them, and tell us if they work, if they don't, what you like, what you don't, and what you want to see added. Then, if you think you can make some of those additions yourself, go ahead. We've provided editors with the games to allow you to mod to your hearts content. :wink:

06 Nov 2007, 23:52
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

There is an issue tracker for Supremacy on CodePlex. You can post bugs there, make comments on existing bug reports, and vote for what you want to see fixed or implemented the most :).

07 Nov 2007, 00:19
Profile WWW
Crewman

I had a look over it. It's ok. What I meant earlier is that comunicating through a forum is a bit slow.. :) .But it will be fine.. I still need a few days to read and get accustomed to what's going on here and read the important posts..

07 Nov 2007, 19:11
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

you eventually might step over this! It's a Microsoft Sharepoint site where we organized all our content and game-related stuff. for example in the BotE wiki, you'll find all information you need about the internal systems used in BotE in a concentrated form, so you might start have a look there as far as bote is concerned ;).

07 Nov 2007, 20:25
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hello! I'm back! I was out in a trip for several days. :)

15 Nov 2007, 09:46
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

wb! hope it was nice. have you downloaded and run supremacy yet? for bote, it's still some weeks till the new download will be available but I think you find enough feedback posts to scour through in our forums in the meantime.

15 Nov 2007, 10:05
Profile WWW

Welcome back, Marine. :)

Mike is currently working on a new editor for Supremacy, which will hopefully have some fancy new options. I'm also hoping for a bugfix hehe.

If you haven't downloaded Supremacy yet, I'd definitely urge you to do so, as it really is a nice piece of eye candy. It's going to be a great successor to BOTF! :mrgreen:

15 Nov 2007, 12:44
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]