View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 04 May 2024, 12:45

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Offering Services 
Crewman

To those who are in need of assistance with tasks regarding the various BOTFII games; I would like to offer my services. I'm afraid I'm no programmer nor modeler, and I can't make music -- however, I do believe I can provide assistance if it is still needed in the area of writing (English, unless you want Babelfish!) descriptions for technology fields, starships, minor races and diplomacy, dialogue, etc.

I'm sure most of this is probably done by now, but as I've recently become hooked on BOTF again I would love to give helping out a go if anyone needs me. I'm also more than happy to proofread over anything existing in these areas :thumbwink:

Please let me know if I can be of help to anyone :)

Cheers,
Mazzeh

20 Jan 2008, 06:55
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

oh, your help is very welcome in fact right now ;). Look here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1879 or download the whole BotE text data.zip here: http://www.botf2.com/bote/Shared%20Docu ... n/Data.zip . In that file, there are all BotE english diplomacy and description files. To change and revise them, use either notepad or the special editors we have: Minor race editor http://www.botf2.com/bote/Shared%20Docu ... Editor.zip and buildings editor: http://www.botf2.com/bote/Shared%20Docu ... _V1.05.zip .

If you are also into non-trek texting, we would someone too to help fox write the new bote stories for its new official content. Look in the Modding Section here under Birth of the Empires and there all the minor and major race pics and description thread. All you need for those to make are the editors above.

you see, there's still plenty of things to do (which results in our recent decision to make trek a mod and move to an original content for more legal safety and easier distribution and making public of our game). Hope you can help us with this! :thumbwink:

20 Jan 2008, 08:18
Profile WWW
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hey Mazzeh, welcome to the forums! :bigthumb:

BOTE is the game that has the most pressing need for in-game text, but you may also be able to help with Supremacy. While most of the writing has now been done, that doesn't mean it is complete. If while you're playing the game, you notice any incorrect grammar, spelling mistakes, etc, please let us know. That goes the same for BOTE actually. :wink:

Mazzeh wrote:
(English, unless you want Babelfish!)

Don't worry, you're not the only one - before BOTE was de-trekked, I was working on translating the German game guide. I used babelfish to do the literal translation, then I rewrote it so it actually mde sense. :P

20 Jan 2008, 12:54
Profile WWW
Crewman

I will see what I can do :)
Never knew there were so many structures! I have a feeling this might take a while. :mrgreen:

22 Jan 2008, 00:10
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
There is also this

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1749

23 Jan 2008, 16:23
Crewman

Mazzeh wrote:
To those who are in need of assistance with tasks regarding the various BOTFII games; I would like to offer my services. I'm afraid I'm no programmer nor modeler, and I can't make music

Same as in quoted, except I have experience with programming, 6yr in Pascal and, few in C++

How can I help? :) (not necessary in programming)

01 Jun 2008, 23:36
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'd say you would make a fine addition to cdrwolfe's 3D engine coding-wise if you want ;). Or maybe you like to do voice overs. Inside BotE you find some to re-read. What would you generally prefer to do? More the coding or more the general content (graphics, texts and stuff) part?

Helping with the 3D engine has the distinct advantage that it gets currently programmed so help would be most needed plus efficiently used when contributed there ;).

02 Jun 2008, 14:46
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

It's coded in C# at the moment though :).

Regards Wolfe

02 Jun 2008, 19:04
Crewman

Hm...

I would love to do a programming part but I'm afraid I have no experience with 3d engine development, never done anything with D3D or OGL API or similar , but as it is done in C# I assume it's using a XNA which it is quite simple and easy to learn if I heard correctly.

About voice overs, I don't know English very well and I speak English with funny accent :shh: :D ... and I'm anti-talent for graphics. So it remains "texts and stuff" which I hope doesn't demand some "technical" knowledge, so what exactly "texts and stuff" mean?

02 Jun 2008, 23:30
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

It's actually based on the Irrlicht engine, give it a look, some time in the future it might be prudent to recode it all in C++ given that is the original language Irrlicht is based around and the engine would probably run faster.

Regards Wolfe

02 Jun 2008, 23:33
Crewman

cdrwolfe wrote:
It's actually based on the Irrlicht engine, give it a look, some time in the future it might be prudent to recode it all in C++ given that is the original language Irrlicht is based around and the engine would probably run faster.

Regards Wolfe

I heard about Irrlicht, It is also supposed to be very easy and friendly to learn, I will check it out. What exactly it needs to do in this 3d engine?

03 Jun 2008, 10:19
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Quote:
What exactly it needs to do in this 3d engine?

Umm you couldn't clarify that could you?

Also on a completely differant note, good luck in euro 2008, and thanks for knocking us out :P.

Gutted that Eduardo isn't playing though (Arsenal Fan)

Regards Wolfe

03 Jun 2008, 10:55
Crewman

cdrwolfe wrote:
Umm you couldn't clarify that could you?

Sorry about that, I'm awkward with putting sentences together in English :?

I meant from coding side, what will I have to do/code in this engine if I join the team? ( if you need a coder of course )

Quote:
Also on a completely differant note, good luck in euro 2008, and thanks for knocking us out :P.

Gutted that Eduardo isn't playing though (Arsenal Fan)

Thanks! We will need it! :)

Yes, it's sad what happened to him, but it's making a great progress in recovery from injury, I hope he will continue playing good as he was before injury...

03 Jun 2008, 11:18
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Well if your serious about coding which iam sure you are, have a look at the tutorials for Irrlicht.

What would be useful and was being done by strings before hand was a program which can be used to simply edit the positions of the 3D ship models, be able to scale them and more importantly for me have a vertices / triangle picking option considering i need to know the relative positions associated with the ship model where i can place hitpoints and firing points etc.

I can do it in 3D Studio but it is a pain and for anyone else who wants to add there own ships it would be beneficial.

Regards Wolfe

03 Jun 2008, 13:14
Crewman

Yes, I will look at tutorials for Irrlicht, and I also need to learn C#... :)

Which IDE do you use?

04 Jun 2008, 11:07
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

You don't necessarily have to learn C#. feel free to code it in C++ if you would like.

I use MS Visual Studio

Regards Wolfe

04 Jun 2008, 14:46
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

wolfe, have a look at http://www.jadengine.com/. Irrlicht.NET doesn't appear to be supported anymore, and I've had a hell of a time getting it working on my 64-bit box. JAD is actively developed and native C#.

07 Jun 2008, 04:37
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

All .Net Irrlicht support has moved over to Irrlicht.NET-CP which is being run by some other guys, how much active support they put in err maybe not that much i'll agree.

Umm i don't think i'am quite ready in terms of skill to pick up and start again on a differant engine. As i would be hunkered down for a few months no doubt and it carries alot of risk.

Once i have something which is more or less feature complete then it is time to start looking at more optimal or appropriate engines.

Though to be fair Irrlicht is still pretty good.

Regards Wolfe

07 Jun 2008, 12:20
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]