View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 22 May 2024, 09:33

Reply to topic  [ 557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next
 STRUCTURE IMAGES - 2D ARTISTS WANTED! 
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I'm all for teaching people how to do things :) once one gets a feel for what they are doing they should be ok.... first thing I would suggest to anyone would be either invest in photoshop or fireworks apps. Second if you have questions please ask. I know I have been kinda tied up the last few months but I'm starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel so I can visit the boards more often once again. I assure anyone I will get to your questions in 48hrs either way. (except on the weekends :bigthumb: )

17 Aug 2009, 22:55
Profile WWW
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
Starfleet? MOE, there is a final post for you back at the other forum. http://star-trek-games.com/forum/index. ... c&start=10
Here is a modification I made of the refinery symbol before I saw everyone's reaction. I think you all are saying, do something else.

Last edited by Captain Bashir on 15 Oct 2009, 04:56, edited 1 time in total.

18 Aug 2009, 05:28
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Oops, I was writing two different posts at the same time. Got your name mixed up with another poster; starfleet.command. Sorry about that, Captain. :redface:

18 Aug 2009, 14:21
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
I found this image on SharePoint for major race structures called dilithium refinery. Is this from the original game MOE? Do we need to replace it? Some of the edges could be cleaned up.

On another note I should make images for the major race ship yards and orbital batteries so they match up to the models we have for them. There are some nice images of that on SharePoint but it does not go with our model collection.

Image Library: http://www.botf2.com/Image%20Library/Fo ... Items.aspx

18 Aug 2009, 18:13
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

as far as I can remember, that pic is from good old botf. It only has a black background there.

18 Aug 2009, 18:45
Profile WWW

Yes, that pic IS from BOTF. The original image had a black background though; I manually replaced this with a transparent background (Which otherwise shows up as white) because transparencies looks better in Supremacy than simple black backgrounds.

The image you're displaying above isn't correctly displaying the transparencies though, and I know that it's not the forums because they CAN display transparencies. So this is what my copy of the file looks like:

Attachment:
dilithium_refinery.png
dilithium_refinery.png [ 74.47 KiB | Viewed 7794 times ]

The jagged edges are the result of my cleaning up the image in M$ Paint. I cleaned the image down to the pixel scale, but the pixels are still visible to the human eye so the jagged edges are visible, so there's no way I know of that can further improve it. When the image is seen ingame though, the jagged edges aren't quite so visible because the background nebula image can be seen through the transparent areas.

Since this image is from BOTF, even if it is technically a newly-manipulated version, we do still need to eventually replace it with something else.

The Orbital Battery images (For the Empires) are NOT just images; they are screenshots/renderings of the actual models that Kenneth has made or acquired for the Orbital Batteries. The minor race Orbital Battery image was provided instead by a forum member. That is why the images all look different.

I need to go through the images that are on Sharepoint and compare them with my own to ensure they match up. Unfortunately, this is going to take me a long time to do because the Explorer View part of Sharepoint is incompatible with Internet Explorer 8, and Microsoft won't be releasing a fix until at least next year. I could've uploaded the new/replacement ones in one go if Explorer view was working. I instead will have to do each image one by one so that's gonna take me a while.

18 Aug 2009, 19:49
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Refinery (Maybe a raw materials refinery)

Attachments:
refinery.png
refinery.png [ 110.45 KiB | Viewed 7782 times ]

19 Aug 2009, 03:16
Profile WWW

There are a couple of structures that we can use this image for:

• Cardassian Ore Processing Rig
  • Dominion Asteroid Sweeper
  • Federation Harvesting Complex (Mining Corps upgrade - we already have a Mining Corps. image and it looks totally different to this new one, so this image might not suit this structure if we're suggesting it's an upgrade)
  • Klingon Dilithium Gulag (We are currently using an image from BOTF for this one)
  • Klingon Mining Prison
  • Romulan Geo-Survey Commission (Imperial Mining Program upgrade)
  • Romulan Imperial Mining Program

The Romulans also have a Reman Mine, but this is meant to be a planet-based mine rather than something on an Asteroid.

Since it's your image, i'll let you choose what we will use it for, Val. :smile:

19 Aug 2009, 10:30
Profile WWW
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples

Matress_of_evil wrote:
There are a couple of structures that we can use this image for:

• Cardassian Ore Processing Rig
  • Dominion Asteroid Sweeper
  • Federation Harvesting Complex (Mining Corps upgrade - we already have a Mining Corps. image and it looks totally different to this new one, so this image might not suit this structure if we're suggesting it's an upgrade)
  • Klingon Dilithium Gulag (We are currently using an image from BOTF for this one)
  • Klingon Mining Prison
  • Romulan Geo-Survey Commission (Imperial Mining Program upgrade)
  • Romulan Imperial Mining Program

The Romulans also have a Reman Mine, but this is meant to be a planet-based mine rather than something on an Asteroid.

Since it's your image, i'll let you choose what we will use it for, Val. :smile:

I would indeed vote for the Asteroid Sweeper that use all the empires.

19 Aug 2009, 10:44
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

either of these two best fit the bill on this one

* Cardassian Ore Processing Rig
* Dominion Asteroid Sweeper

19 Aug 2009, 12:08
Profile WWW

That's two votes for the Dominion Asteroid Sweeper then. Done. So that's one more structure removed from the structure list in the first post of this thread. :bigthumb:

19 Aug 2009, 22:41
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Sorry,I have been on the road. I am on line from my hotel room in Colorado.

So the orbital batteries and shipyard images I seen on SharePoint at Shared Documents / Image Library / Empire Structures and the Minor Race folder look like they came from the original game. I will make some .png images from our new models and replace them.

It seams as though the Image Library only lets you download as jpg or bmp. Should be set up a new file system in Shared Documents so we can get png out without conversion back to png?

I would think an asteroid sweeper would be a device to remove asteroids and not one that set up shop on one.

20 Aug 2009, 03:26
Admiral
Admiral

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
I would think an asteroid sweeper would be a device to remove asteroids and not one that set up shop on one.

Kenneth has a point I think.

20 Aug 2009, 09:43

I think Sharepoint only converts the files if the images are put in the image library, Kenneth; images that are put into my Ingame PNG images folder or any of the documents folders are held as the original files and do not get converted. The converted images in the library also lose any transparencies that have been applied, as .bmps and .jpgs don't support transparencies. In all honesty, i'm wondering whether we should continue bothering to keep images in the image library because of these limitations. I don't bother to put images in there myself anymore anyways.

I'll swap Val's new image over to the Cardassian Ore Processing Rig.

20 Aug 2009, 13:42
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Nice pic Val, just be careful images size should be 270 x 225 pix. :thumbsup:

20 Aug 2009, 15:18

Matress noticed this mistake and corrected it. Honest... :shifty:

20 Aug 2009, 23:24
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Matress_of_evil wrote:
I think SharePoint only converts the files if the images are put in the image library, Kenneth; images that are put into my Ingame PNG images folder or any of the documents folders are held as the original files and do not get converted. The converted images in the library also lose any transparencies that have been applied, as .bmps and .jpgs don't support transparencies. In all honesty, i'm wondering whether we should continue bothering to keep images in the image library because of these limitations. I don't bother to put images in there myself anymore anyways.

So do we have a place setup in Shared Documents where these images for structures are being saved in a way the game can use them? I see a big structure of folders with a lot of images in the image library. I guess we can use the ones that do not need a transparent background but if the game needs png we have to convert them all. No?
:borg:

22 Aug 2009, 14:20

The images in the image library are there from when I first started uploading them to Sharepoint. But I stopped doing that when Internet Explorer 8 prevented me from using the Explorer view of Sharepoint, so it's a good few months since I last loaded images to the image library.

I've instead been uploading all images to the subfolders of the Ingame PNG Images folder in the shared documents section. I'm NOT suggesting we move any of the files if you're still using the image library though, Kenneth. I certainly don't want to create more work for you. If you're not using the image library yourself, just leave the images in there for future reference and put any future images in the Ingame images folder. But if ou're still using it, then carry as as you currently are. It's your choice.

22 Aug 2009, 16:35
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I still put the link to new ships on the Image Library because they have the black background. I guess we could delete the non ship images with a note to look in the other location. It would save space.

22 Aug 2009, 21:05

I use the transparent images of the ships in the forum database, since that's how the images will actually appear ingame. I always wondered about the black-backgrounded ones in your posts, assuming you were doubling your work by making two sets of images each time. If you're uploading images both to my folder and to the image library though, then you are still doing twice the amount of uploading that is necessary.

It's your choice in the end though. Mike has never complained to me that "the sheer amounts of bandwidth or space that Sharepoint is using is costing me an arm and a leg", so I don't think it's costing him as much as we might be assuming. Obviously less is better though. *IF* we decide to delete images though, we will need to ensure that we have a transparent png version available of each image elsewhere on Sharepoint. We could risk deleting images permanently otherwise.

Damn I wish Micro$oft put more effort into making sure Internet Explorer worked properly before they released new versions... :evil:

22 Aug 2009, 23:26
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I have one PC still running the old IE so I will back them up. Once I have we can deleted out of Image Library the irrelevant files. That will happen when I get home again.

I want to keep the black background images of ships in there. Those help me see what they will do in game.

22 Aug 2009, 23:37

If you want to see what they look like on your computer, (Eg. offline) try opening the images with Irfanview. Irfanview's default colour is black, so transparencies are replaced by black when you view the image. And you can always simply remove the transparency by resaving the image but cancel when it asks you to select the colour to use as the transparency, or alternatively save them as .jpg's to make the black permanent.

23 Aug 2009, 01:07
Profile WWW
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

If I understood you still don't have this:

Attachments:
The_Great_Link.png
The_Great_Link.png [ 72.24 KiB | Viewed 7683 times ]

17 Oct 2009, 19:51
Profile YIM WWW

Will this be good for Changeling training facility?

Attachments:
Changeling Training.png
Changeling Training.png [ 97.46 KiB | Viewed 7680 times ]

17 Oct 2009, 20:42
Profile YIM WWW

Oh wow, thanks for these vjeko! :love:

No, we don't currently have images for those two structures, so these images will be perfect. I'll upload them to Sharepoint for you. For reference, the The Great Link one is now dom_the_great_link and the Changeling Training one is now dom_changeling_network.

We incidentally also need a third Changeling image for the Dominion Changeling Replacements. This is a new structure that isn't in Dafedz's database yet. It has a 10% Political Sabotage bonus, ie, it makes it easier for your agents to sabotage enemy trade negotiations, or make it appear that your enemies are plotting to exploit a certain minor race, and so on.

I've also just overhauled the list in the first page of this thread so it is easier to see which structures still need images.

17 Oct 2009, 22:02
Profile WWW

I don't want to take any credit for this one because I've made it with your pictures, and I'm not sure if you will use it.

Attachments:
utopia_planitia.png
utopia_planitia.png [ 95.64 KiB | Viewed 7665 times ]

18 Oct 2009, 00:20
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Go ahead and take credit. It looks great. Using models that will be in the combat engine is all that much better. If you need new angles of view on the models you can get set up with a program like Ultimate Unwrap or Blender to Render the models.

18 Oct 2009, 01:54

Dominion Anti-Proton Array:

Attachments:
Dominion Anti-Proton Array.png
Dominion Anti-Proton Array.png [ 71.28 KiB | Viewed 7651 times ]

18 Oct 2009, 12:31
Profile YIM WWW

vjeko1701 wrote:
I don't want to take any credit for this one because I've made it with your pictures, and I'm not sure if you will use it.

using the same process for other shipyards from other empires, it would be great. Congratulations

18 Oct 2009, 12:41

Dom version of the utopia Planitia, forgot the name.

Attachments:
Dom_Adv.png
Dom_Adv.png [ 100.93 KiB | Viewed 7644 times ]

18 Oct 2009, 14:01
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next