View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 22 May 2024, 06:56

Reply to topic  [ 557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 STRUCTURE IMAGES - 2D ARTISTS WANTED! 
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Interesting...looks like your fix involved an earthquake. I hope I never make you angry! :lol:

12 Dec 2010, 17:12
Profile WWW
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

Hehehehehehehe, and this was just a warning.

12 Dec 2010, 17:18
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
As a pro Slim normally does work like this for real money. We are so lucky to have him taking the time to give us such a nice body of work. Here is what he said about the Klingon Private Farm (forced labor)

KLINGON LABOR FARMING
On the Klingon's Home world (new or old does not matter-up to you) for their farming. Instead of their surface having vegetation. I decided to do it so their vegetation is underground. Think of a cut in your hand. As cracks in the surface are created by their passive giant Gagh riders, wild vegetation from beneath the surface expands do to their homeworld's atmosphere at an incredible rate (Gagh small they are extremely dangerous and delicious alive). Gagh can live in almost any atmosphere. They use their giant Gagh riders as not only war weapons but tunnelers (notice the domed shape seat, to make large holes and then set up farm irrigation to extract it using Klingon slave workers. Now of course they would not this on other worlds that have vegetation on the surface, but the method of slave farming would be the same. I choose this scene for uniqueness and to show how alien Klingons can be, how efficient and cruel. On the right, is a Klingon Supply Transport uphill with a ramp of laborers loading it, large extracting craters, water pluming to expand vegetation and they use simple tradition slave oriented extractions like giant wheel loaders and baskets. Slaves die they die. In the extreme Background our massive Gas Giant with two smaller moons. On Qo'nos, this method lead to the massive jungles and wildlife on its surface, but under neath and whole new world to hunt.

Attachments:
Klingon_Labor_Farms086.jpg
Klingon_Labor_Farms086.jpg [ 551.27 KiB | Viewed 8402 times ]

15 Dec 2010, 23:07

wow, so much detail, these are simply breathtaking.

Again, I can do the background if someone does the 3D part.

15 Dec 2010, 23:34
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

This is a Gagh ranch / slave plantation as much as a farm but you get the idea.

Slim has some questions:

"Ok just quick questions on what you had in mind for these, Since I am not as astute with the episodes. I started some preliminary layouts

Chalnoth Army
A planetary defense army.
We need an image to replace the existing BOTF one.

I am trying to limit figures, so for this I went with an outdoors shot. Chalnoth in reading them are like the Klingons but more tribal.

Minor Race Heavy Bunkers
Advanced planetary defense bunkers.

You want this crude or high tech and what era? We are talking on the ground correct or in orbit?

Vulcan Advanced Fusion Generator
A massive power production facility. The buildings should preferably be a pinkish color to match the other Vulcan images that we already have.

I didn't see these comments, so I did an interior cave shot on Vulcan, like in the new film. You guys are free to pink it.

Orion Slave Market
Slave market.

This one is confusing to me. I remember the Orions being featured a lot on Star Trek Enterprise, very crude slave markets outdoors. Is that what you had in mind? This one I will do from start to finish."

I say take the Orion as seen in the Enterpirse episodes. That is the universe we are using. Can anyone help with the other questions?

16 Dec 2010, 14:44

Hey Kenneth, pass these comments on to Slim for me:

Chalnoth Army
Yes, the Chalnoth are warlike...well, monsters really. Klingons but uglier and without the warrior/honor code.

Minor Race Heavy Bunkers
These are meant to be mid-tech era, and are bunkers located above ground. Think along the lines or WW2 Pillar Boxes and the like then advance them in style a bit if that makes sense. But feel free to have them underground if you feel that would be easier to draw.

I should've sent you the existing Vulcan images we have. Oh well, i'm sure Vjeko can pink it up.

Orion Slave Market
Yes, a crude slave market is exactly what I had in mind. The green-skinned males appear to be in charge of the enslaved females, but that's just a ruse and it is actually the females that are in charge. Just think prisons, cages and chains.

16 Dec 2010, 15:14
Profile WWW
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples

There is no Slaves Market in the DAFEDZ's database but this structure:

Structure: The Orion Syndicate
+20% Raw Materials, +25% Income on Trade Routes, +150 Intel

The Orion Syndicate is a powerful and extremely influential institution. It is a conglomeration of merchants, smugglers, thieves and intelligence operatives, who operate on just about every commercial front: from trade symposiums to the dark shadows of spaceport bars, both openly and in the disguise of reputable merchants. Their goal is simple: to corner as many markets as possible.

16 Dec 2010, 15:31

That's something I need to clear up with Dafedz. There are a couple of structures that are in limbo at the moment.

Kenneth, please tell Slim to hold off on making an Orion image for the time being.

17 Dec 2010, 00:33
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I knew we could count on the trekologists.
Slim reads this thread so he has your responses.
Thanks,
:borg:

17 Dec 2010, 03:14

Hello guys, on FACEBOOK, a certain Admiral Ross has this picture in one of his albums. It could be used for "ALIEN SHIPYARD" in random events.

21 Dec 2010, 13:06
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

It sure could. Why not ask him if he will let us use the model in our game. While you are at it ask if there are other models he would let us use. How would he feel about making more models for the game?

21 Dec 2010, 20:58
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Slim sent everyone a New Year's Present
Neo Vulcan
Spoiler: show
First off Happy New Year. I thought I'd give you an early present.

This is Neo Vulcan or new Vulcan. It is a bit difficult uncolored to determine the different layers of the layout so I will explain. The new home world Spock finds with similar characteristics to the old Vulcan.
The Advanced Fusion Generator is what supplies the entire refugee colony. Which is being turned into a small city, which will house the 10k or so Vulcan survivors. Possibly named after their Vulcan founder. It is clear on the right with old traditional Vulcan designs and illuminating bulbs of energy that can supply an entire planet if need be. That should stand out. This is highly advanced but I wanted it being built. Think of the unfinished death star kind of look. I have suggested beams and we can clearly see the inner structure throughout. This planet has a unique sun, with partial round the clock eclipses from two dead giant worlds blocking parts of Neo Vulcan's sun. Vulcan like to build within Cavern type structures whether hanging upside down or right side up. Small domes for housing and large Vulcan buildings for the major city population.
In the Background, we see two of their remaining ships being dismantled for housing. Now Vulcan probably has more surviving ships, but it is not important to be that literal. Their Cruiser (name it what you like) is embedded into the ground and being disassembled from above and below with a side structured ladder with a crane and loading tractor. Then a secondary advanced Vulcan scout ship in the far left is being used as a base of operations and campsite. Now of course in the game Vulcan is Vulcan and no one will know the difference regardless of Vulcan's current status. Things are being built and unbuilt. We see Vulcan's trying to move about, and in the back ground Federation engineers assisting to give it a Federation of Planets relief effort.

Their is tubing from the Generator going throughout the colony and its in a defensible position. A dome and tent to indicate its primitive beginnings, but that once complete it will be a formidable energy source. You can do some neat effect with this unique sun which keeps Neo Vulcan and a much higher temperature and thick dense atmosphere like their original home world.

Slim

Attachments:
Neo Vulcan 087.jpg
Neo Vulcan 087.jpg [ 741.7 KiB | Viewed 8320 times ]

31 Dec 2010, 20:32
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
That is just wayyyyyy cool. :clap: CB

01 Jan 2011, 15:07

I just noticed. Some of the people make shadows (on a cloudy day) but the structures and plant life don't. :cool: 800th post Bashir

01 Jan 2011, 15:10
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I think that is a Vulcan thing.

At this point I am not holding out hope that a minor race would rebuilding after the homeworld was taken out in one of our random events. It is a nice looking image so we might reassign it if Slim is OK with that.

01 Jan 2011, 18:31

Structure image, some of you might recognize the resources used :wink:

Feel free to find a structure for it if you like it.

Attachments:
image.png
image.png [ 126.39 KiB | Viewed 8276 times ]

05 Jan 2011, 14:38
Profile YIM WWW

Excellent work, oh emissary of the photoshop. Dazzled Bashir :clap:

05 Jan 2011, 16:17

Thanks, glad you like it.

05 Jan 2011, 16:41
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Very nice - Yes I saw it while touring in China. It is the so called Summer Palace outside of Beijing. You put it to good use.

05 Jan 2011, 21:23
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Here is a question from Slim about his next image:

"Chalna Question- I read all material on them. What I decided to do was have an end battle with the Kaylar. Chalna celebrate with the army in defeating another enemy. A way to show an action piece instead of establish shot.
My question is I have added on a technology based on the book, where Chalna like the (Predator Creatures in the films) have cloaking soldiers. I have given them knives and a new ship design. Any thing else you guys would like me to add tell me now."

06 Jan 2011, 00:36
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Here is the latest and greatest from Slim.

"CHALNA ARMY- A few things I found out on the Chalna. Their Planet, the size of Jupiter, is within a Nebula. They also have a constant fog bank similar to Rigel 4. Their women do not have their male characteristics of protruding teeth. They are actually quite beautiful and rare. They wear a white mask. I only included one. See if you notice her.
Now some tech stuff you can add. They use solider cloaking technology similar to the Jem Hadar. They also are master hunters.
This has more of an action illustration. This is a battle between the Kaylar and Chalna and lets just say thing did not go well for the Kaylar. Can we say dinner is served.
On the left is the Kaylar's helmet and downed leader on a hilltop. Massive army centered, a Chalna Battle cruiser above and a hive like metallic structures in the background. A circle to indicate a moon. There planet has 8 months of darkness.

This is bloody, rough, and brutal. Making the Chalna a very bad enemy to have. Enjoy."

Here is a sound track for this image http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvzKLN5qbrI&feature=autoplay&list=ULniaCHX2265c&index=2&playnext=1

(Yes, I enjoy it a lot and I see her next to Waldo. She looks like a girl from my Collage days. I am lucky to be here now. The Chalna ship is great. I want to build that for the minor races. Sometimes the guy originally writing about the Chalna got a little carried away. I am not sure about the gravity on a rocky planet the size of Jupiter. That would make life a lot more 2D if you know what I mean. That is beside the point though. The art is great.)

Attachments:
ST Chalna Army088.jpg
ST Chalna Army088.jpg [ 811.27 KiB | Viewed 8238 times ]

11 Jan 2011, 00:37

Simply brilliant. I was thinking, can we include all these sketches like slides when the game is installing (Starfleet Command 3 is one example of that.) It would be a nice eye-candy to see the sketches from which ingame art was created.

11 Jan 2011, 14:25
Profile YIM WWW

I am even wondering if we shouldn't color Slim's image and just use it in the game in the place it was intended (although I like your idea Vjeko, kind of like the extras on a DVD with story boards and pre movie artwork). A few of the most recent images have a lot of living beings / creatures in them. That's a lot of 3D rendering of unique beings which is probably overwhelming. Especially something as hairy as the Chalna. :shocked: Captain B

11 Jan 2011, 15:33
Admiral
Admiral

This is one of those structures that if/when destroyed by orbital bombardment/sabotage/etc will sound odd in the report (not being really a structure).

Nothing to do with the pic though, which is great as usual.

11 Jan 2011, 16:11

Well we can take a page out of Star Trek's book. In DS9 they used simple aluminum foils with ship images painted on them as a cost saving measure. I don't know it I explained it well. But here's how it would look. You would have to render only the front 10-15 Chalna, the rest are in the back and sort of in the dark so they don't have a lot of detail. Plus the image needed is 270x225 so any detail won't be that visible. I can try to make the background for it and you will just have to add the foreground models and the ship.

11 Jan 2011, 16:39
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I like the idea of playing the images as the game loads. It also could be one of the entertainment items we use during combat when you are not party to the fight.

I would say we can leave them as back and white. If you try to color I suggest first looking at doing graphic novel toon style would be the safest. Using Gimp or Photoshop just give a few colors or color gradients within the lines. If you past in a photo use it only as a background like the nebula in this case. Below is an early example of what I am suggesting.

Attachments:
Chalna.png
Chalna.png [ 2.85 MiB | Viewed 8224 times ]

11 Jan 2011, 17:05

This is me trying to do the background part. I left the forward more detailed warriors in.

small version

11 Jan 2011, 18:37
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

That does look very interesting. Personally I would use the background and leave the rest mostly stark black and white for the contrast. The ship looks better, in my view, without the coloring. The center figure might get a few color accents like the eye and the blood with guts. Just keep it minimal for the biggest impact, IMO.

11 Jan 2011, 18:52

This is just a start. The ship and more complex figures will have to be replaced with models.

11 Jan 2011, 19:12
Profile YIM WWW

I really like the coloring job vjeko. I mean I REALLY do. In a way I think we honor Slim's amazing work by using it directly. The images that have already been done by others (not mine - which also isn't "done") are awesome too.

12 Jan 2011, 04:21
Reply to topic   [ 557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next