View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 15 May 2024, 05:04

Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 STARSHIP DESCRIPTIONS - WRITERS WANTED! 
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Matress_of_evil wrote:

* Quote Matress_of_evil
Matress_of_evil wrote:
In some respects, you COULD see this info in BOTF, Zeleni. If you turn Tooltips OFF, then hover your mouse over an enemy (Or friendly) vessels icon in the fleets panel (Whilst on the map) then instead of displaying help information, the game will display some basic info such as the shield and hit points of the ship in question. You can turn the Tooltips on or off in the BOTF game menu. I always turned it off.

:redface: :smile:
Matress_of_evil wrote:
I imagine it would be possible to add a similar system to Supremacy. Mike would have to implement such a system though, it's not just something that could be added via the editor. If he likes the idea and adds it in though, I think it should definitely include more information than BOTF provided. It would also be nice if the information was context-sensitive; so, for example, the amount of information available would be based on the strength of your scans, whether the enemy is cloaked, etc etc.

That should be one of core things. Big strategy game without "knowing your enemy"? IMO there should be under intel separated screen for all encountered enemy ships,with all theirs stats (depending on your intel strenth, your agents in alien power, more your agents are succesfull you should have more info), also you should get intel report when nearby major power builds new starship class.

06 Nov 2009, 16:31
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

I'm pretty sure Mike will say no to having a specific report screen with the recorded strength of every ship you've encountered - a while ago I discussed a similar concept with him and he said no on the basis that it would be a massive amount of data to track, especially in huge map games that span thousands of turns. But he said even small map games would still produce a lot of informationt hat would need to be tracked. The more ships that are built, the more stats that would have to be tracked, and the slower the game would get. It's for this exact same reason that Mike rejected the idea of having special Captains in the game too, as all the info would need to be tracked.

That doesn't stop there being a certain amount of information available to players though. Shield strength, hull strength, and the amount and type of weapons would be useful info - and that alone would beat the info that was available in BOTF (BOTF didn't give weapons info in Tooltips).

As for Intel though, I really don't know any detail behind Mike's plans, other than his...little secret... :mischief:

He hasn't discussed them with me, so it's anyone's guess if and how he intends to tie intel with the rest of the game, and the effects that intel services could have on the game.

06 Nov 2009, 16:46
Profile WWW
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples

I think rather that the descriptions of vessels of minor races should appear in the encyclopedia. If this encyclopedia has been created to list the minor races one after they have been encountered, this encyclopedia would also be able to list their ships one after they have been encountered.

06 Nov 2009, 17:15
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Matress_of_evil wrote:
I'm pretty sure Mike will say no to having a specific report screen with the recorded strength of every ship you've encountered - a while ago I discussed a similar concept with him and he said no on the basis that it would be a massive amount of data to track, especially in huge map games that span thousands of turns. But he said even small map games would still produce a lot of informationt hat would need to be tracked. The more ships that are built, the more stats that would have to be tracked, and the slower the game would get. It's for this exact same reason that Mike rejected the idea of having special Captains in the game too, as all the info would need to be tracked.

What i meant is not to track each ship of alien power, just display of enemy fleet composition for example: cradassian union: cruiser type I, Scout type II and destroyer type II romulan star empire cruiser type II, scout type II, destroyer type II so that you have clue how far enemy development is.

06 Nov 2009, 17:23

Look this in the original BOTF.

Attachments:
Ship.PNG
Ship.PNG [ 241.44 KiB | Viewed 11592 times ]

06 Nov 2009, 17:30
Cadet
Cadet

Found this site, and I'm a huge fan of BotF. Let me know how I can help!

Point me at a list of ships without descriptions and watch the text flow :D

19 Jan 2010, 18:26
8 of 9, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 001

Ooooh.... that's what the original BoTF looked like? I mean, minus the memory leak problem? Well, it looks good.... but Supremacy will look MUCH BETTER after it's done......... :borg:

May... now with expectedly warm weather!

22 Jan 2010, 13:44

Have you not played BOTF, Captain?

You do know that you can download BOTF from the downloads section of ArmadaFleetCommand, don't you? They've got a version that doesn't need a CD and fixes a load of bugs (But not the memory leak).

...Ignore me if you were being sarcastic. You can see the stats in Starfleet's image if you switch the tooltips in the game off.

22 Jan 2010, 20:06
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
praguepride wrote:
Found this site, and I'm a huge fan of BotF. Let me know how I can help!

Point me at a list of ships without descriptions and watch the text flow :D

@Matress
Is there something you can suggest for praguepride?

22 Jan 2010, 20:48

@Matress
No, I've actually never played BoTF. I always wanted a copy, but could never find one. Now I must download it and determine what sort of ancestor game we're dealing with here.... :borg:

22 Jan 2010, 22:12
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

I've spent many hours playing it, I remember when I first saw the Borg ingame, they destroyed me in 10 turns. It was the first game I have played the game and they showed up in the ~100th Turn.

22 Jan 2010, 22:57
Profile YIM WWW

Right, so running it in Windows 7 isn't working, so I'll try my XP Machine... :borg:

UPDATE: Got it working in Windows 7. There are compatibility options that are amazing there....

:borg:

23 Jan 2010, 22:49
Crewman

where can i find a list of the ships that need a description?
i would like to help :D

09 Apr 2011, 13:53
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

There is some info on this at the bottom of the first post here.http://www.botf2.star-trek-games.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1752
Matress should be able to help as well when he checks back in.

09 Apr 2011, 15:17
Crewman

The link doesn't work for me. It says: You are not authorised to read this forum.
confused XD
anyway, i read the first post in this topic, but i didn't get any information on already done ships, just a list of the ships that exist in the game

09 Apr 2011, 15:59

The link above doesn't work because it's a developers-only link lol. Silly Borgy one! :naughty:

To my knowledge, the ships that are in need to descriptions are the ships for the Klingons and the Dominion. Dafedz hasn't got any descriptions posted in His Database so I would assume there aren't any at all yet, although he's been known to forget to update it lol. To see the existing ship descriptions, click on the links for the various empires in the ships section on the left of that linked page.

09 Apr 2011, 22:22
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

So you should be reasonable safe writing for the Dominion ship list?

10 Apr 2011, 03:45

Yeah, i'd go for the Dominion over the Klingons. It's more likely that the Klingons have been written (But not posted) than for the Dominion descriptions to have been written.

10 Apr 2011, 07:49
Profile WWW
Crewman

I will then write the descriptions for the Dominion ships. :)

10 Apr 2011, 14:01

Read the descriptions of the ships for the other Empires though to get a feel of the sorts of things we're after, in terms of style, length, language, historical content, ship classifications, etc etc.

If it helps, here's the direct links to the descriptions pages, but you won't be able to access the rest of Dafedz's Database via these links because these don't load the navigation bar on the left. Use the link in my post above to view the Database in its' entirety.

Federation Ship Descriptions
Romulan Ship Descriptions
Cardassian Ship Descriptions

10 Apr 2011, 17:39
Profile WWW
Crewman

tnx

11 Apr 2011, 14:04
Admiral
Admiral

There's also the minors' ships descriptions ;)

12 Apr 2011, 19:54
Crewman

where can i find the list of minor's ships?

12 Apr 2011, 20:51
Admiral
Admiral

Same place as the empires', dafedz's database.

13 Apr 2011, 14:55

The Empire's ships are much more important because player swill see these on a regular basis. Remember we aren't entirely sure that players will be able to build minor race ships, so any chance to see the descriptions of minor race ships will be small. BOTF never even had descriptions for the minor races' ships.

The link to the minor races' ships is Here. As with my links above, the sidebar won't load with this link, so if you want to access the rest of the Database, use my first link above. I hope you're not too daunted by the sheer number of ships that the minor races will have. :razz: :wtf: :waah:

13 Apr 2011, 20:01
Profile WWW
Crewman

I can help write if needed.

23 Aug 2011, 16:09
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Welcome Crouchar. Try sending the offer to Matress in a PM. I think he may answer soner that way.

23 Aug 2011, 19:17
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
Welcome aboard Crouchar. Hope you participate and add greatly to our group. You are needed. Write for us, give opinions on music and artwork, find programmers or just give us a good word now and then.

23 Aug 2011, 20:25

I've answered the PM lol. Had to suggest speaking to Iceman, since he's dealing with the text at the moment. I wish we still had Dafedz's database... :brickwall:

24 Aug 2011, 22:57
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

Hey crouchar
You could start with what was mentioned in the last few posts. Namely, the descriptions for Dominion and Klingon ships - Phil93 asn't submitted anything yet, and it's been a while.
Like mentioned above, look at the descriptions for the other empires' ships, and try to keep to the same style of writing.

I'll be away for about a week, I'll give you more detailed info when I get back - around Sep 5th.
Maybe Matress could send you the latest TextDatabase.xml file, it should give you an idea of any updates. I would send you the file, but I don't have them with me at the moment.

25 Aug 2011, 20:28
Reply to topic   [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next