View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:49

Reply to topic  [ 556 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next
 RANDOM EVENT IMAGES - 2D ARTISTS WANTED! (Images On Page 1) 
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Yeah, Turbosquid might be a useful website for you, Sj. A lot of their stuff is free to use - although not all of it is. Just check what it says on the page about pricing if you find any images you think you can use.

If you're ever stuck for ideas with the images, i'd definitely also make use of Google's image search. There are plenty of images that could inspire you out there - have a look at these for the Earthquake one. They're big so i'll post links instead of the images themselves.

http://members.wri.com/jeffb/vistapro/marslabyrinth.jpg
http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/11663/best-yet-look-at-mars-valles-marineris_2.jpg
http://www.photosfan.com/userimages/mars-satellite-2-canyon.jpg

As Mal said previously though, you can take your time with the images. There's absolutely no rush with them. I don't know if you've ever read the actual random events message that i've been writing, but i've been doing them for almost three years now - and the randoms still haven't been implemented. :gripe: :lol:

Since Sharepoint is down at the moment, i've uploaded my event messages to Mediafire Here if you want a look.

12 Aug 2008, 08:55
Profile WWW
Crewman

Thanks for the parasites background pic. It gives it more of a space colony look. What do you think?

12 Aug 2008, 17:47
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Creepy :)

Keep up the good work.

Regards Wolfe

12 Aug 2008, 18:10

In this respect, creepy is good, so it's very, very creepy. :thumbsup: :lol:

12 Aug 2008, 19:23
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

if you find them in any way useful for background stuff, you might try these graphics over there: http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index. ... horExact/y . We use a lot of them over at bote for our non-trek content but they are outright perfect for trekky-looking backgrounds too in my eyes!

12 Aug 2008, 21:28
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

One suggestion SJ, try using CGI's (Computer-generated imagery) when you manipulate images in your software. We are traing to avoid photos or image cuts from movies. When you got time maybe you can redo this images, otherwise your job is excellent :winkthumb:

Geologic survey

Archaeological Survey

Parasites
Image[/quote]

12 Aug 2008, 21:32
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Parasites image was already redone, see image 4 posts above.

12 Aug 2008, 21:48
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Ooops, sorry Sj nice image there!

12 Aug 2008, 21:54

I hope you don't mind Sj, but i've been thinking about the Archaeological Survey image and I think would be better suited to the Alien Fossils random - the image is of a fossil afterall, and that fish is pretty alien to my eyes. :P

If you make another Archaeological Survey image, perhaps it could be of some crumbling ruins, a skeleton, or perhaps an image with some pottery, that sort of thing. I think that would be a better fit than a fossilised fish.

12 Aug 2008, 22:07
Profile WWW
Crewman

Yea thats a good idea. I didn't even see there was an alien fossil event. It definitely works better. This was my idea for the new archaeological survey. I figured that along with making imgs w/ ships for each race we could do it with this to. Each race would find something corresponding to their race. What do you think?

13 Aug 2008, 02:36
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The shape of the pottery should either reflect the race logo of the surveying race or be a tidbit more alien curvy I think.

13 Aug 2008, 08:13
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Sweet! Just my 2 cents: When I think of archaeological survey for Klingons, I think of the episode where Kahless' bat'leth was found. Maybe you could incorporate the bat'leth into the picture?

Keep those ideas for pictures flowing! I ALWAYS check in here for new images every day. :)

13 Aug 2008, 10:07

It's entirely up to you if you want to make separate images for each of the race Sj; do it if you don't mind the extra work, but we still don't know if Mike is going to program for having multiple random events images yet.

If you do make separate images, you might want to keep the actualy event in mind. This is what it says:

Quote:
Archaeological Dig Success (Large increase in system research production for 5 turns, small but permanent increase in system trade)
Ancient ruins of major archaeological significance have been discovered in system _____. Among the ruins were ancient devices of unknown origin. Our researchers believe they may be able uncover the devices' secrets. F
Klingons are born to fight and conquer...but the Empire needs technology to provide for her Warriors. An archaeological dig in system _____ has discovered ancient devices of unknown use. Our ye'jan believe they could help the Empire...and her Warriors. K
R
C
D

...I haven't written the message for the Romulans, Cardassians, or Dominion yet. As SeeBee-T said though, the Sword of Kahless would be a better one for the Klingons. The Klingons are steeped in legends and combat afterall; they're not gonna care for a piece of pottery, but they would care about a legendary sword.

As for the Archaeological finds for the images of the other Empires, it's a bit more challenging to think of a dig find that would inspire their people.

• The Federation would likely be inspired by anything - so the pot would probably fit them best, as it could have any number of meanings for any number of races.
  • The only archaeology that I can think of being relevant to the Romulans would be evidence of their ancient split from the Vulcans. Would finding evidence of eg. a crash site actually inspire the Romulan people though? I'm not sure on that one. The Romulan authorities tried to keep it secret for long enough, even though they also tried to annex Vulcan enough times as well.
  • The only archaeology that I can think of being relevant to the Cardassians would be evidence of their ancient peaceful past, before the military took control of the Detapa Council - but evidence of this would likely cause unrest amongst the people and would therefore be destroyed by the military Government. Alternatively, evidence of Bajoran first contact (As in the DS9 episode where Sisko builds the Solar Sail ship) might also be a good one, although again this may impact the Cardassians because it means the Cardassians were not the first people to travel the stars and establish first contact.
  • The Dominion are the trickiest of all as we know so little of them. We know they are an ancient civilization, possibly having been around for 10,000 years or more. We also know they have used genetic engineering to transform many of the races that they control. Evidence of their past before they joined the Dominion would therefore be a good one, although I don't know how this would impact the Dominion as a whole. It really depends on what was found and how it affects the people.

13 Aug 2008, 11:26
Profile WWW
Crewman

Well it sounds like the better idea hear would to be just having one picture. The messages make it sound like a piece of technology found from an advanced and ancient race who is now extinct. Would this be a better idea to base the image on, because yea there isn't much you can do for the other races.

13 Aug 2008, 16:19

The messages aren't set in stone, Sj - I wrote these long before you made any of your images. If you want to make multiple images, I can easily rewrite the messages to fit the images. Same goes for all of the other randoms. :)

13 Aug 2008, 19:52
Profile WWW
Crewman

Well im still working on the survey pic but here are 3 others. I dont want to be a nuisance and have to have you rewrite what you already have. I was going through the messages to get ideas and there really well written. I would hate to see you having to do more work on my account.

Adv. Ship Found

Adv. Ship Capt.

Defector

13 Aug 2008, 21:39

I like how the Klingon emblem is scribbled out on the defector one. :lol:

Excellent work as always, Sj. I've added them to my backups, ready for Mike to implement the randoms. *hint hint*

13 Aug 2008, 22:15
Profile WWW
Crewman

I hope he puts the randoms in soon!

Mutation

Lab Explosion

Subspace Reaction

New Subroutines

Data

14 Aug 2008, 06:03
Crewman

Sorry i havn't been around for the past week. I've had to get ready for college. Here are 5 more that I've finished. I leave the 24th.

Weather system breakdown:

Engine Malfunction:

Student prodogy:

Geographic Expodition:

Archetectural Symposium:

19 Aug 2008, 21:38
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Very Nice! :thumbsup: You do not need to excuse yourself when taking a break. Do pace yourself.

I will be gone next week on business to Los Angeles. (never breath something you can not see) :borg:

The models will be here when I get back.

20 Aug 2008, 02:34
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Nice work...alltough that engine breakdown looks more like some kinda of EMP storm or sumtin.

Maybe just having the engine not glow?

20 Aug 2008, 12:52
Profile ICQ
Crewman

Here's six more. I know what you mean about the engine failure, I'll see about going back to it.

Wargames

Scientific Breakthrough

Influx of Scientists

Cytherians

Dyson Sphere

Omega Particle

21 Aug 2008, 05:35
Crewman

5 more...

Think Tank

Test Beds

Data Lost

Covert Scans

Fuel Leak

21 Aug 2008, 20:36
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

@ SJ- Nice images! Great work! After the praises... you know how it goes... one suggestion! :lol:

Try to avoid 20th cen. technology in pics, like those two satellites! :wink:

21 Aug 2008, 20:52
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
WHEN DO WE NEED ALL THIS WORK DONE?

The game development has no endpoint. It will only be done when no one cares anymore.

I do see one deadline for a more complete game. When the new ST movie comes out in May of 2009 there will be more interest.

This is why I am working on what I call version one of the models for the ships and bases. Even if the 3D engine is not working by then a completed ship list will look good. A large and quality library of 2D images is just as important. We may even get more people to help work on the game in this way.

:borg:

21 Aug 2008, 22:10
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Don't worry KOB things are moving though you can't see it. I'm preparing image mod for Supremacy and major empires structure images are 80% completed. For missing ships and bases we can contact people from Battleclinic and Botf forums and that is the easiest thing to do!

I don't know current status regarding voice recordings, in game descriptions and database updates...

@Mike, what do think about implementing second playable race in the game? (Klingon or Dominion would be nice)

21 Aug 2008, 22:40
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Agreed, more content and Eye candy is always a good thing.

Regards Wolfe

21 Aug 2008, 23:30
Crewman

Well its been fun the past few days :roll: . I moved into my dorm at college on Sunday and its been super busy, I also forgot my power cord for my laptop back home. I got it now. I also have another pic.

Salvage Operation:

I'll continue but my progress will most likely be slowed for the next couple of days or more.

26 Aug 2008, 16:50

That's totally understandable, Sj. Take all the time you need. I know how busy life can be when you move on to uni. While we would like you working on the images 24/7, I don't think your lecturers - or your body for that matter - would be impressed. Enjoy yourself coz it's true what they say. Education really is the best time of your life. Once it's over...your entire life dedicates itself to the 9 til 5 routine. So enjoy it while you can. :winkthumb:

26 Aug 2008, 23:25
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

LOL, stay the perpetual student forever, it's a wonderful life :).

Regards Wolfe

26 Aug 2008, 23:32
Reply to topic   [ 556 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next