View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 09 May 2024, 06:40

Reply to topic  [ 556 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next
 RANDOM EVENT IMAGES - 2D ARTISTS WANTED! (Images On Page 1) 
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Sorry I haven't been around all too much guys. This new job has a crazy backlog over a half of a year backlog, and having to fly back in forth from So. Florida to Kansas City, Mo. is not fun. I may be landing some free time in the next week or two, so I'll see if I can't get back to some artwork

~Val

24 Jul 2009, 03:04
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Thanks for checking in Val. Hang in there and we will leave a light on for you.
:borg:

24 Jul 2009, 03:37
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

It's not as if we're working to a deadline Val, so take all the time you need. You'll get some free time one day, and you know where to find us. :P

Starfleet.command, we plan to eventually replace all graphics that have been taken from BOTF. I personally particularly like the tech graphics though, and there's no real rush at the moment to remove them. We want to remove them because of the risk of copyright etc, but after the collapse of Microprose, it being 10 years since the game was released, the lack of a sequal and the ambiguous ownership of the game rights, and our usage of the graphics without exchanging money means it's unlikely a legal challenge of any kind would be made about it. And if that happens, we'll just completely remove whatever needs to be removed and refocus our efforts on making replacement images.

If you want to change your own images though, all you need to do is replace the image files. As long as the new files are identically named to the originals, then they will work. The tech images are located in your Supremacy\Resources\Images\Research\Fields folder, so just replace those files with whatever you want. I have to warn you that the auto-updater incorrectly identifies mods as outdated files though and will attempt to replace any changes you make with those held on the game server, so you will have to put up with receiving an update notification every time you load up the game if you do this, or you'll have to turn the updater off. But if you turn it off, you might also miss out on legitimate updates in future.

24 Jul 2009, 11:18
Profile WWW
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples

Hello, it's just a personal point of view of the random events pictures

Embezzlement & Donation are the same pictures!!
Lab Explosion: the image is blurred
Scientific Breakthrough: i like the 1rst picture
Encounter the Cytherians: the Cytherian face is burred
Catastrophic Mining Accident: to modify
Positive Foreign Government Change: the Cardassian logo is missing and the Federation logo in at center is of excess (there is already Starfleet logo)
Negative Foreign Government Change: same thing the Federation logo in at center is of excess (there is already Starfleet phaser rifle)
Weather system breakdown: image to review

Last edited by starfleet.command on 06 Aug 2009, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.

05 Aug 2009, 23:27
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

There is a slight color difference (Embezzlement & the picture Donation.) That could be enough to tell them apart until we have time to replace images.

06 Aug 2009, 00:04
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

starfleet.command wrote:
Hello, it's just a personal point of view of the random events pictures

Lab Explosion: the image is blurred
Scientific Breakthrough: i like the 1rst picture
Encounter the Cytherians: the Cytherian face is burred
Positive Foreign Government Change: the Cardassian logo is missing and the Federation logo in at center is of excess (there is already Starfleet logo)
Negative Foreign Government Change: same thing the Federation logo in at center is of excess (there is already Starfleet phaser rifle)
Weather system breakdown: image to review

Hi SFC,

give me about 5 more weeks, I will have some more free time to get back to making some images. Many of the images you are noting are not mine, and the artist comes and goes at times. I have been super busy lately at work, and I also attend college so free time is very scares at the moment, not to mention I have kids too..... So you can only imagination what my day is like most of the time.

Scientific Breakthrough: i like the 1rst picture (Note: the second one is mine.)

Feel free to leave me some feedback, or suggestion on the above I will take it in consideration.

Thanks,

~Val

11 Aug 2009, 23:04
Profile WWW

It would be necessary to think also of replacing the technology fields pictures (Biotech, Energy, Computers, Propulsion, Construction, Weapons). What do you think?

12 Aug 2009, 10:13

We do plan to replace these images if possible. We've not had any submissions for them yet though.

As an update to them though, i've applied transparencies to the tech image files as this makes them look better in-game.

14 Aug 2009, 13:35
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Embezzlement Images

16 Aug 2009, 20:58
Profile WWW

it's good,i like it. Congratulations!!!!!

16 Aug 2009, 21:05
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

MOE Please set up a list of images we want to consider redoing I will see what can be done.

16 Aug 2009, 21:17
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Looks great as usual. It was worth the wait.

16 Aug 2009, 21:30

Ooh a new image! :love:

...You already made an embezzlement one though, Val. And the new image has a $ symbol on the bag; technically $'s don't exist in the future. The bag also contains coins, whilst the old one had Latinum bars; we've got Latinum bars in the Donation image as well, so sorry if i'm being overly pedantic, but that's an inconsistency between the images. Of course, you could argue that Trek is all about inconsistencies. :razz:

If you want to redo the images, then here's a list of images that could possibly be improved. It isn't necessary to make the changes though. I'm going to continue being pedantic but it's completely up to you if you want to make the changes I suggest.

Alien Shipyard
Reason: random events can affect any race. This might make images a bit more boring or make it harder to come up with suitable ideas, but images should avoid having race-specific ship designs, unless we go down the path of personalised images for every empire. That might be a cool idea, but it's a hell of a lot of work, it means people need to download a lot more images, and Mike would still need to program it so the game could load race-specific images based on the race you're playing as.

Caretaker Array
Reason: random events can affect any race. This might make images a bit more boring or make it harder to come up with suitable ideas, but images should avoid having race-specific ship designs, unless we go down the path of personalised images for every empire. That might be a cool idea, but it's a hell of a lot of work, it means people need to download a lot more images, and Mike would still need to program it so the game could load race-specific images based on the race you're playing as.

Subspace Bubble

Graviton Ellipse

Dark Matter Nebula

Solar Flare
Reason: Green and blue stars look cool, but there's no such thing as green stars, or at least not to human eyes for stars near to Sol. Blue stars are rare as well. "Normal" coloured stars could make for a better image.

Positive Temporal Disturbance
Reason: random events can affect any race. This might make images a bit more boring or make it harder to come up with suitable ideas, but images should avoid having race-specific planets. A generic Terran planet might make for a better image.

Negative Temporal Disturbance
Reason: random events can affect any race. This might make images a bit more boring or make it harder to come up with suitable ideas, but images should avoid having race-specific planets. A generic Terran planet might make for a better image.

Wormhole Discovered
NOTE: we already have an alternative image though.

Nebula Formation
NOTE: we already have an alternative image though.

Climate Change
Reason: Climate change can mean increasing temperatures as well as freezing. Could fire be added to the bottom of the image so both fire and ice are on there?

Archaeological Dig Success
Reason: random events can affect any race. This might make images a bit more boring or make it harder to come up with suitable ideas, but images should avoid having race-specific insignias, unless we go down the path of personalised images for every empire. That might be a cool idea, but it's a hell of a lot of work, it means people need to download a lot more images, and Mike would still need to program it so the game could load race-specific images based on the race you're playing as.

Advanced Starship Discovered

Advanced Starship Captured
Reason: Normally I would say ships shouldn't be race-specific, but things are a bit different with this image. Perhaps it would be easier if ships of more races were added to this image, or perhaps the empire ships were replaced with those of random minor races.

Defector
Reason: random events can affect any race. This is a great image, but it only works if you're playing as the Federation. It also suggests that ONLY Klingons betray their empire. I'm not really sure how this image could be fixed without having race-specific images though. :(

Subspace Reaction

New Subroutines
Reason: the PADD is very Federation-specific. It's up to you if you want to make the computer less Federation-y down or not.

Engine Malfunction

Geographical Expedition

Wargames
NOTE: We already have an alternative image.

Scientific Breakthrough
Reason: random events can affect any race. This might make images a bit more boring or make it harder to come up with suitable ideas, but images should avoid having race-specific ship icons, unless we go down the path of personalised images for every empire. That might be a cool idea, but it's a hell of a lot of work, it means people need to download a lot more images, and Mike would still need to program it so the game could load race-specific images based on the race you're playing as.

Discovery of the Dyson Sphere
Reason: random events can affect any race. This might make images a bit more boring or make it harder to come up with suitable ideas, but images should avoid having race-specific ship icons, unless we go down the path of personalised images for every empire. That might be a cool idea, but it's a hell of a lot of work, it means people need to download a lot more images, and Mike would still need to program it so the game could load race-specific images based on the race you're playing as.

Influx of Scientists

Encounter the Cytherians

Encounter the Omega Particle
Reason: Images of the Omega Particle should be available online. If it were possible to incorporate the actual Omega Particle or a recreation of it, the image would look even better.

Test Beds
Reason: A Green star looks cool, but there's no such thing as green stars, or at least not to human eyes for stars near to Sol. "Normal" coloured stars could make for a better image.

Covert Scans
Reason: random events can affect any race. This might make images a bit more boring or make it harder to come up with suitable ideas, but images should avoid having race-specific ship/station designs and blueprints, unless we go down the path of personalised images for every empire. That might be a cool idea, but it's a hell of a lot of work, it means people need to download a lot more images, and Mike would still need to program it so the game could load race-specific images based on the race you're playing as.

Fuel Leak

Salvage Operation

New Operating Protocols
Reason: random events can affect any race. This might make images a bit more boring or make it harder to come up with suitable ideas, but images should avoid having race-specific ship/station designs and blueprints, unless we go down the path of personalised images for every empire. That might be a cool idea, but it's a hell of a lot of work, it means people need to download a lot more images, and Mike would still need to program it so the game could load race-specific images based on the race you're playing as.

Artificial Intelligence

Positive Foreign Government Change
Reason: The Federation AND Starfleet are represented in the image, but the Cardassians are not.

Negative Foreign Government Change
Reason: The Federation AND Starfleet are represented in the image, but the Cardassians are not.

Warp Core Breach

Manned Station Lost
Reason: random events can affect any race. This might make images a bit more boring or make it harder to come up with suitable ideas, but images should avoid having race-specific station designs, unless we go down the path of personalised images for every empire. That might be a cool idea, but it's a hell of a lot of work, it means people need to download a lot more images, and Mike would still need to program it so the game could load race-specific images based on the race you're playing as.

Officer Exchange Program
Reason: The Federation and Klingons are represented, but the Romulans, Cardassians, and Dominion are not.

Plague
Reason: We've got two images. The one on the right has the bio-hazard symbol but no background, the one on the left has a background but the hazard warning looks more like a radiation hazard sign. Could you give the one on the right a background image?

As I said, it's up to you whether you want to make the suggested changes.You know that i've got an eye for detail and i'm intentionally being pedantic so we get the best images we can. Please do not take this as an insult for any of the work you have done because I am perfectly happy with what we already have. But better images would make me even happier. :mrgreen:

18 Aug 2009, 01:20
Profile WWW

I have an idea for the embezzlement picture, just keep Latinum and reworking the color of the triangle in red and add 2 flash of lightning to show the trouble or simply keep the same image both for the embezzlement and the donation, only the text and the name of the event will be different. What do you think about?

Manned Station Lost: add each empire starbase & their Destruction

Alien Shipyard: see Enterprise epsiode "Dead Stop" and add each kind of empire ship goes in his direction (same thing for Caretaker Array)

Enemy Leader Assassinated: add a picture of the leader of each empire and keep the idea of the targeting. Keep the same picture both for the Relations Worsen & Improve

Officer Exchange Program: add each logos as Positive Foreign Government Change and keep the idea of the circle of rotation and grade (the Cardassian logo placed between the Klingon & Romulan logos)

Negative Foreign Government Change: rework it to add a picture of the leader or logo of each empire

Fuel Leak: add a ship of each empire with a gas trail left behind each ship and keep the idea of the fuel level

Scientific Breakthrough: in the second picture add scope and molecular chain

Warp Core Breach: add a picture of each kind empire ship with at the center, a picture of the warp core with smoke or fire

18 Aug 2009, 09:47
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Matress_of_evil wrote:
Ooh a new image! :love:

...You already made an embezzlement one though, Val. And the new image has a $ symbol on the bag; technically $'s don't exist in the future. The bag also contains coins, whilst the old one had Latinum bars; we've got Latinum bars in the Donation image as well, so sorry if i'm being overly pedantic, but that's an inconsistency between the images. Of course, you could argue that Trek is all about inconsistencies. :razz:

If you want to redo the images, then here's a list of images that could possibly be improved. It isn't necessary to make the changes though. I'm going to continue being pedantic but it's completely up to you if you want to make the changes I suggest.

Now that is an eye catcher .... I can remove the "$" off the bag and the gold coins and put the Latinum bars in the image

As far as the list of do overs, all requests are with in reason, but just to borrow from Dr. Soran "Time is the fire in which we burn..."

19 Aug 2009, 12:16
Profile WWW

...And that's why I said it's your choice whether to do them or not. You're not our slave, afterall....

...Yet.

19 Aug 2009, 22:38
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

starfleet.command wrote:
I have an idea for the embezzlement picture, just keep Latinum and reworking the color of the triangle in red and add 2 flash of lightning to show the trouble or simply keep the same image both for the embezzlement and the donation, only the text and the name of the event will be different. What do you think about?

Alien Shipyard: see Enterprise epsiode "Dead Stop" and add each kind of empire ship goes in his direction (same thing for Caretaker Array)

Enemy Leader Assassinated: add a picture of the leader of each empire and keep the idea of the targeting. Keep the same picture both for the Relations Worsen & Improve

Officer Exchange Program: add each logos as Positive Foreign Government Change and keep the idea of the circle of rotation and grade (the Cardassian logo placed between the Klingon & Romulan logos)

Negative Foreign Government Change: rework it to add a picture of the leader or logo of each empire

Fuel Leak: add a ship of each empire with a gas trail left behind each ship and keep the idea of the fuel level

Warp Core Breach: add a picture of each kind empire ship with at the center, a picture of the warp core with smoke or fire

The only problem with this is lighting blots are a universal sign of electricity.

This is image is going to be changed to a more diverse image that can be used by all empires.

Agreed, however this image is not my own so I would most likely create a new one all together.

Assassination is not limited to just the major empires. Thus the humanoid silhouette is very versatile.

This is image is going to be changed to a more diverse image that can be used by all empires.

This image is not my own so I would most likely create a new one all together.

This image is not my own so I would most likely create a new one all together.

This image is not my own so I would most likely create a new one all together

23 Aug 2009, 20:42
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Replacement Alien Shipyard:

Replacement Plague:

Attachments:
Bio2.png
Bio2.png [ 127.15 KiB | Viewed 7258 times ]
Alien-Shipyard.png
Alien-Shipyard.png [ 95.5 KiB | Viewed 7261 times ]

24 Aug 2009, 02:06
Profile WWW
Crewman

Wow, those are spectacular!

24 Aug 2009, 07:08

Valcoren wrote:
The only problem with this is lighting blots are a universal sign of electricity.

Either then replace flashes of lighting by the fire as your Commercial Terrorism picture
Valcoren wrote:
]Enemy Leader Assassinated: add a picture of the leader of each empire and keep the idea of the targeting. Keep the same picture both for the Relations Worsen & Improve
Assassination is not limited to just the major empires. Thus the humanoid silhouette is very versatile.

Just Keep the same picture both for the Relations Worsen & Improve

It would be necessary to keep the same Perfect Growing Conditions picture for Negative Growing Conditions but by adding of the fire to show the negative effect on the wheat.

24 Aug 2009, 11:50

Wow, great images Val! I've added them to my Supremacy Random Events folder and Sharepointed them.

25 Aug 2009, 00:16
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Finals next week then I have two weeks of free time finally... going to try to pump out the rest of the needed "random events" stuff... (maybe) :romulan:

09 Sep 2009, 11:43
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Science fields images are excellent there is no reason to waste our time in creating new ones.
Good job Val though dollar sign on bag looks strange (New Embezzlement Image), and cardassian monac shipyard as alien shipyard isn't rihgt choice.

09 Sep 2009, 15:20
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

This is what the minor race shipyard model looks like if you want to use that.

Yes, Latinum would be a more ST form of monetary exchange than the US dollar.

09 Sep 2009, 18:52

It was mentioned in DS9 that Latinum could come in bars, as it is shown in the image above, or in smaller, lower-value strips. I just did a google to see if I could find what the smaller strips looked like, but the only image I could find was this one:

The money bag does look cooler, but I don't think it would look right with the two. I would assume that Latinum has an official money symbol that is equivalent to $, £, or whatever as well, but I wasn't able to find one. you might need to make one up.

09 Sep 2009, 20:47
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Ferengi writing looks much like a flowchart, with many 60 degree angles. Text radiates from the center outward, which would indicate the direction of writing as well. Ferengi text can be written with or without a central hexagon, radiating from one side of an hexagon only and in single horizontal lines on signs and short notes. (TNG: "Ménage à Troi"; DS9: "Body Parts").

Keiko O'Brien's classroom featured a chart depicting the English, the Bajoran, the Cardassian, and the Ferengi alphabet. The chart listed some sixty plus Ferengi language symbols (DS9: "The Nagus", "Cardassians")

I will look up The Nagus or Cardassian episodes when I get a chance. In the mean time, if it is to be a Ferengi symbol, the hexagon is a likely choice.

09 Sep 2009, 21:46
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Bars, Strips and Slips :), not being pedantic :)

Regards Wolfe

09 Sep 2009, 22:15
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Zeleni wrote:
cardassian monac shipyard as alien shipyard isn't rihgt choice.
I used the same model that was being used in the original image. If anyone can find a good image of the station used in the episode "Dead Stop" I'll rework the image...

EDIT. nevermind I found some.... stay tuned

Val

10 Sep 2009, 00:10
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

redo of redo automatic drydock station

Attachments:
Automatic-Drydock-Station.png
Automatic-Drydock-Station.png [ 95.16 KiB | Viewed 7279 times ]

14 Sep 2009, 13:05
Profile WWW

Lol thanks for the update of the updated image Val. Matress likes it. :smile:

14 Sep 2009, 13:09
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 556 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next