View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 04 May 2024, 13:09

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Ship and Base Image Library V1 
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
There is a model now for each of the Romulan ships and bases. Permission is pending on some alternatives. :borg:

14 Sep 2008, 04:13
Supreme Architect
Supreme Architect

BTW, are you going to add my Fed Outpost II model into the library? It was done some time ago now and may have been forgotten. I also have the Edwards colony I, which has one good possibility already, and several Cardassian and Romulan designs.

There's two thumbnail images of the Fed outpost model here:
http://www.trekmania.net/temp_files/space_stations.htm

17 Sep 2008, 16:53
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

By all means yes. :thumbsup: I know there are other models out there that have not yet been uploaded. If you do not already have access to the Fleetyard have Jig set you up.

(Star-Trek-Games main page and take fleetyard and see the bottom of the page)
http://star-trek-games.com/index.php?op ... elect&id=7

Do me a favor and name all your uploads starting with Z, like Z Outpost, so they sort to the end of the list. I will download them and check the up down front back orientation and scale for you. Once that is done I can .rar it into its own folder and reload the model into the proper fleet slot for you.

If anyone else has a model we can use please do the same.

17 Sep 2008, 21:33
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I am currently working on creating a playable set of workable models, a version one. Any new models from you will help do that.

Stopping to make each of my model perfect, including the 270x225.png on a transparent background, would leave us without a complete and playable set for years to come. I will go back and replace or improve models and their .png in-menu images after completing version one. For now my focus is an on a complete set.

Last edited by Kenneth_of_Borg on 09 Nov 2008, 03:31, edited 1 time in total.

18 Sep 2008, 15:57
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I am leaving now and will be able to work on ships again in two weeks. We have about 80 per cent of the major races uploaded to the Fleetyard so far. There are a lot of png images to replace, some models to build and replace but work is on track.

24 Sep 2008, 18:18
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

We are on the cusp of a milestone. Version one of the models for all the major races and the Borg should be done this coming week. We still have a number of place-holder models, three models to skin, models to upgrade and a load of png images to redo. (see png images above.) Despite these issues there will soon be a full set of ships as outlined in the shiplist. We could play the ship combat part of the game once the 3D engine is up and running. :mrgreen:

http://star-trek-games.com/index.php?op ... elect&id=7

After I slam dunk two place holder models into the Federation and Dominion fleetyard slot it will be a full deck of cards.

Next comes the minor races and then alien entities, structures and monsters, oh boy! :love:

18 Oct 2008, 19:53
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

You can follow the addition of minor race ships on page one of this thread. Look down to the minor race post. I was not spending much time on the png in-game images when this project started because we hope to replace many of the models later on. Seeing as we could well be playing for a time with the version one model list I have been trying to upgrade the quality of those images as new ships go in.

Some times the special effects work is just to cover up what a bad model it really is. Other times the models are top rate and why not make a usable in game png image. The Federation, for example, will have all its images replace as soon as version one is complete. I hope Zeleni will have time to work on some of them.

04 Nov 2008, 23:45
Cadet
Cadet

I really have to say, I really like your models! Looks very professionally done. :)

08 Nov 2008, 03:53
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

I'm not sure about the plasma cannons (I think they look more like claws than an energy weapon) but the hull itself looks very good. It's smooth and clean - I can't see any jagged edges or sharp contours that often plague models. Definitely a good model for our favourite money hoarders. It's nice to see the Romulan Kerchan made it into the model list as well. 8)

09 Nov 2008, 00:41
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Thanks. I only made a few of the models. I am slowly getting better
at making the 2D images off of them. The Voyager model is mine.
I have a way to go with the 2D images. I want to fill up the minor
races before I go back and redo the Federation images. They need
a lot of work.

I can redo the Ferengi ship without the weapon fire to make it
pass muster with those in the know.

09 Nov 2008, 01:49

Nono, I mean the actual weapon on the ship, not the weapon firing effect. There's nothing wrong with the effect.

If you look at the cannon on the right of the image, you'll see what I mean when I say "Claw".

09 Nov 2008, 20:36
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

We could use this station as the early Federation Starbase. Do we want to mix our old trek ships and bases with the new?

19 Nov 2008, 16:18

I haven't got a problem with mixing the models, as long as there is a clear distinction between ships from each of the eras. We also want to highlight design lineages whhere possible as well, although that obviously isn't always possible. The main thing that i'm worried about is copyright etc though. New films with new designs may have tighter legalese behind them, so we'll have to be careful in that respect.

20 Nov 2008, 15:06
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

The Strobel approves of using newer TOS-era designs. :bigthumb:

22 Nov 2008, 12:59
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Am I the only one to think that we have too many races for BTOF2? I mean, most trek races are copies of eachother with no depth whatsoever, and creating a distinct style for them is mission impossible.
I can already easily spot dozen of kitbashes and modification of ships from other Sci-Fi universes.
Call me crazy, but I'm a firm believer in quality over quantitiy.

B.t.w. - the images for the romulan fleet are all mixed up, at least when it comes to my ships.

09 Dec 2008, 14:10
Profile ICQ
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

There's nothing wrong with having more races have no ships. But I think reducing the number of races in general isn't needed. Just the ratio of spacefaring vs. non-spacefaring races.

09 Dec 2008, 14:42
Profile WWW

I prefer quality over quantity as well Trashman, but whilst people want to see some variation, they also want to see canon. I'm sure they could find it in their hearts to forgive you for replacing a canon-but-obviously-kitbashed model with a unique one though. :wink:

This only applies to the one-off or less important races though. Where a ship has been kitbashed for a major race though (Such as the Klingon Groumal/Cardassian Freighter), the model should be used but the differences should perhaps be highlighted more. If a well-known kitbashed model is used by both an important race and a less important race though, the model should be used for the important race whilst the lss important race gets a low-priority unique design.

The races that have been given ships where we never saw any in Trek itself have only been given ships where it would be illogical/nonsensical for them not to have any. In these respects, we aren't breaking canon, we're just using artistic licence to fill gaps in Trek. I therefore don't think that there are too many races with ship designs, especially since I know that Dafedz, myself, and many others have put months of thought into that list, albeit mainly via PM's, emails, and MSN rather than on the forums.

If there are problems with the ship database, let Kenneth know about it as it is his domain. Alternatively send me a PM with the exact changes that need to be made and i'll sort it for you.

09 Dec 2008, 15:02
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I'm not talking of just the ship models, but races in generals.

20 of them are completley the same with only slight variation of the nose ridges..or stuff like that. Their racial bonuses or buildings are the same.

Do we really need 40 races that give +10% to research?

As far as the romulan models I made, speaking of ships I made 3:

A cruiser (D'Bora, it's done), a heavy destroyer (the one I'm currently UV mapping) and the battleship (the huge, 3 wing warbird like thing)
Also, is sharepoint still working? I'd like to get the models for the Romulan Shipayerds to match them with the Fleetyard.

09 Dec 2008, 15:17
Profile ICQ
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

you won't have all of them in one game (except you chose huge size) which then makes up for a little more "name variation". Also in huge map, you'd run out of races to distribute on systems so some areas might be thinned out severely. I think it's just to be able to fill the galaxy or make every game with different minor races (different in terms of names, effects stay the same), i.e. it's somehow just a trick to make it more interesting ;).

09 Dec 2008, 15:34
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

SharePoint is still not working and I have been loading ships to the Fleetyard here:

http://star-trek-games.com/

That is you can see the Fleetyard if you have registered. You can upload if Jig or MOE set you up.

I hope they do so you can load those new Romulans. Look on page one of this thread to see what is in the Fleetyard so far. The images for the final in-game png is not finished for all them and what you see here is for reference only. Us the scaling and orientation instructions in the Fleetyard so your ships have the correct size and heading. When you put a new ship in the yard let me know and I will grab the png and post it here for reference.

Work on the 3D engine is coming along faster then we can make all original models. Even before the expansion of minor races and ships I calculated it would take over thirteen yards to complete a full set of original models at the current rate. Until we have more people making original models we will have to go with what we have. My hope is that being able to play the game with the 3D engine and a full set of ships, such as it is, will attacked more people to the project. I hope for more people that can make models for the project. For now we are on Version 1 of the model set. The later versions will look much better.

09 Dec 2008, 19:43

Mal is right; the game is set up in such a way that even on a giant map, you won't be able to meet every single race. When the game is generating a map, it sets a minimum distance between the homesystems of the races. It places a random number of races in that map in random locations, then moves them around until it finds a layout that meets the requirements. If the game is unable to find such a layout, it will generate a new map.

The minimum distance between homesystems varies depending on the size of the maps - bigger maps have greater minimum distances between homesystems to allow the occupying races to grow. This is also the reason why the game used to have difficulty in placing the Cardassians on tiny maps. The alpha Quadrant is a bit crowded between the Empires and the minor races on small maps.

As I said in my last post, the ship-building ability of the races has been carefully balanced over several months. The same thing applies to the special buildings of those races. And since the actual number of minor races will never include the entire list, each game will play out differently; just because there are 40 races that give a 10% research bonus, doesn't mean there will always be 40 research races in every game.

As Kenneth said, Sharepoint is still dead, so we've come up with an alternative. The Portal page of this site has a download section where all the models, images, music, sound, etc are being kept. Unfortunately because these forums are based on Joomla, uploading stuff is a bit of a bugger, so i'll have to manipulate your acount settings a bit. I've already done the same for Kenneth, Wolfe and Sandman so they can upload stuff.

The Fleetyards are also only visible to registered users - if you haven't signed up for an account on the portal, you'll need to do that first. We haven't figured out how to bridge accounts yet, so you need separate accounts for each area of star-trek-games.com. :(

Once you've logged on on the portal page, click on the Fleetyards link, and you'll see the different download sections that we have. You'll be able to upload stuff in there - once i've played around with your account permissions. I'll have a try now but if I can't find your account you'll have to let me know once you've signed up.

*Edit - all done. Try to upload something if you can, and let me know if it works or not.

09 Dec 2008, 20:29
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Apologies, I had hoped to complete the minor races by the end of this year. We did get models of all ships and stations for the major races and the Borg. There are now 91 minor race ships and a set of common stations but work will fall short of all that is needed on Dec. 31st.

Making my calculations I did not take into account the temporal sinkhole that the holidays, family and work have opened. I hope we can have all we need by May and the neo Star Trek movie.

11 Dec 2008, 14:11
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Just to list a few things I noticed are wrong or should be changed:

FEDS:
- The Nova class usees the image of the Achilles?
- Last time I checked the Intrepid was smaller than the Excelsior (467m compared to 334 of the Intrepid. It's smaller than a centaur at 380m. Shouldn't it be a light cruiser or a frigate? The VOY show showed it as much more powerful than it should be).
- we have 2 starbases and the same image used for both.

KLINGONS:
- NeghVar image used for Surveyor 3?
- Destroyer II uses a modified Negh'Var model - the windows make the ship look too huge for a destroyer. Either change the texture, or change the model.
- Image used for the Neg'Var in not the Negh'Var. Possibly a mixup with the Surveyor 3?
- Attack Cruiser I and II images mixed. Note that we have 3-4 models for the attack cruiser here. I sent 3 models over myself.

CARDASSIANS:
- Scale issues again. Take a look at the ship and what size class they are supposed to be. Some ships have too many (and too small) windows to look tiny.
- Dreadnought models look mixed in in order to me.

ROMULANS:
- where is the Nierrh (romulan Defiant)?
- D'Bora (listed as R'Tan/ Battlehawk I on the list) is destroyer-sized. What is it doing there?
- Current image for Cruiser V is the romulan battleship/warbird model of mine
- The romulan warship I recently completed is cruiser-sized
- some strange classification and listing of the big warships for romulans. Got tt look into this a bit more, since the Battlehawk/Warhawk/Warbird classifiactions confuse me ATM.

12 Dec 2008, 19:25
Profile ICQ
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Ok, I looked it up a bit more, as well as studied the models in question and here's what I think:

D'Idricon Class (a.k.a. Kerchan) is one HUGE warship. Bigger than the Warbird. So it should be used as the Warhawk.

The current image for the warhawk - the ship doesn't look that big. It could be used as a battlehawk.

My warship (cruiser) takes the Cruiser III spot, and the current Cruiser III gets moved to Cruiser IV

what to do with my battleship? I have no idea. Maybe a warbird III or a Warhawk I/II?

And the Nierrh as a Heavy Destroyer/Escort.

12 Dec 2008, 19:48
Profile ICQ
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

It sounds like you have the Major races all figured out. I was waiting for someone to go to work on that. Please make those changes. I currently have my hands full filling up and messing up the minor races. :borg:

As you update the files in the shipyard let me know. I can take the png image and put it in this thread here to keep track of the fleets. (and back up the new files in case the fleetyard goes out like sharepoint.)

12 Dec 2008, 20:22
Crewman

Wow! 8O

24 Dec 2008, 08:54

Now that Sharepoint is back up and running Kenneth, you'll be able to put the images up on there and link to them. Jig hasn't installed Silverstripe yet so we're still using Joomla for the time being.

24 Dec 2008, 13:26
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

You could unstick this thread for now. As reload and some rework progresses the image library on SharePoint will be the visual reference to models. :borg:

24 Dec 2008, 14:05
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
It sounds like you have the Major races all figured out. I was waiting for someone to go to work on that. Please make those changes. I currently have my hands full filling up and messing up the minor races. :borg:

As you update the files in the shipyard let me know. I can take the png image and put it in this thread here to keep track of the fleets. (and back up the new files in case the fleetyard goes out like sharepoint.)

I can't make those changes, since I can't edit your posts.

08 Feb 2009, 16:13
Profile ICQ

Try editing it again Trashman; the jobs forum has just gained a new moderator. :wink:

09 Feb 2009, 03:09
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next