View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 02 May 2024, 15:22

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 COMBAT VOICE CLIPS - VOICE ACTORS WANTED! 
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
OK, I will go with those lines.

We have had some input from professional game developers about content. One suggestion included adding video clips from Trek TV shows and Movies. The legal issue there is that as a not-for-profit fan game we are using the whole Star Trek universe for free anyway. If the game would be taken up by a company for sale it is all the better. That sort of content would then be part of the license obtained from Viacom CBS Paramount. Unfortunately as a download game video content would be too much data. We could, however, gather common phrases out of episode soundtracks to use.

I agree that taking content from an old game adds issue with game companies and should be left alone. I am not going to look for these lines in old shows and movies myself. I prefer the recording of new actors but, according to someone in the game industry, we do not need to run from audio content in ST episodes. If someone does want to put it on SharePoint we could us it.

24 Apr 2009, 18:36
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

I've already extracted the 1364 voice files from the game, so i'll start typing up the scripts for those voices. Give me a couple of days to do it though, it's a lot of files and i've got plans for the weekend.

24 Apr 2009, 21:00
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Matress_of_evil, do you mean you have extracted all of the voice files from original BOTF? If so I did the same thing a while back and have all the lines from the Cardassians in a text file if you are interested.

25 Apr 2009, 04:21

Yeah, that's what I meant Stegrex. I've actually almost finished doing them all though - most of the voices are actually related to general game stuff ("System Colonised", "New Technology Discovered" etc etc) rather than being just combat clips, so i've ignored the non-combat ones. Please PM me the scripts if you have them though. :)

Oh, and you don't have to type out my name in full. Save your fingers and call me moe, or mat, or something. Most people do. :wink:

25 Apr 2009, 08:58
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I had recorded a number of general game voice clips for all the races about two years ago. They are still on SharePoint but have not been used in the game.

25 Apr 2009, 15:28
Supreme Architect
Supreme Architect

Great minds think a alike, I had already done this Moe lol - extract the sound files from botf ages back in order to mod a ton of new clips in. In so doing I made a script also, and include it here in this page linked below.

In this list I've speculated the possible combat events that could trigger them (these are for the Cardssians). Some of the scripted dialogue is the same as botf, but here's a lot of new lines too.

BTW this is just for combat, not for other game events

http://www.trekmania.net/temp_files/Combatvoice_card.htm

27 Apr 2009, 18:17
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

CDRWolfe has asked that we keep the clips for his combat engine very short. They will key off events in combat and once there are a lot of ships it will be very frenetic and fewer and fewer of them will have time to play. I have made my new combat clips nearly all two word comments to that end.

This coming weekend I hope to get one or two new voice actors recorded doing the two word clips for as many major races.

I hope there will be other place we can use voice clips or at least the text to make the game talk to us more. It will take coding by Mike to make that happen.

27 Apr 2009, 21:19
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Ooohh nice, great work.

As pointed out, yes it would be nice that the more frequent sounds you are likely to counter should be short, however with the longer ones it is certainly possible to use them as sort of one off, rare taunts etc. I will have a think when i get some time :S.

Regards Wolfe

28 Apr 2009, 01:24
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

When you do look through what they have found, think of some new ones yourself and listen to what we already have on SharePoint. We can record the ones you feel we still need.

28 Apr 2009, 01:32

Grr you could have told me about this sooner, Daf! :lol:

Perhaps one way the voices could be cut down on is if the combat system could compare the voices that it is about to play or is likely to play in the next x seconds. Then, if a number of similar events are about to happen - eg. the shields of multiple ships are damaged - then those multiple events would be grouped together as one and a single event sound eg "Shields down to 80 percent" would be played instead of one sound for each of those individual events.

Perhaps there should even be a weighting applied to the sounds, so voices that are more important - eg. Ship Death Screams - would then have a higher weighting. If the combat system is then instructed to play multiple sounds, it would look at whichever sound has the highest rating, and it would play that one instead of all of them. And if the weightings for multiple sounds came out the same, then it would randomly chose one of them instead.

28 Apr 2009, 16:50
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I am sure Wolfe will come up with something that sounds nice.

It sounds like we will have the short statements, two words, during the actual combat.

If there is another earlier phase where we decide to run, defend or attach then longer phrase, including taunts, could play as well. We will see what Wolfe decides.

28 Apr 2009, 20:11
Supreme Architect
Supreme Architect

Matress_of_evil wrote:
Grr you could have told me about this sooner, Daf! :lol:

Sorry about that mate, didn't realise! But it sounds as if this script won't be used now anyway, if the lines are deemed too long, so we can both desist in writing out the equivilent lines for other races...

But it must be said, if an actor is directed to say: "We must retreat! And live to bear the disgrace!" in the heat of battle, i can easily envisage it can be delivered in less than 2 seconds. After all a lot of the script caters for comments and events that take place between the firing of weapons, such as an opening dialogue when two forces first face each other on the battlefield, or after the battle has ended, so I'd hope that the longer voiceclips are still valid and can be used.

29 Apr 2009, 17:04
Profile WWW

It's a shame that we can't use the voices from Starfleet Command 2 - i've gone through all of the voices in that game and have found 573 of them that *could* be used in the combat system. I've renamed all the files so you know exactly what they say as well. Stupid legalities. :(

29 Apr 2009, 19:35
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I have uploaded a set of Romulan combat voice clips from a new voice actor.

Sorry model work has slowed down. It will pick up soon.
:borg:

10 May 2009, 04:29

So the Romulan voice actors name remains a secret? Well whoever it is, they're certainly doing their job. :lol:

10 May 2009, 10:27
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Those Romulans like their privacy. His name has been added to the list of credits on SharePoint. A new Klingon is next.

10 May 2009, 16:00
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Drahcir-TM-Dragon is my new voice acting hero. Below is a link to the recordings I have uploaded to SharePoint. Notice the way Dragon comes up with new wording for the original lines adding variation and variety to our collection. I have asked Mike give Dragon SharePoint access to directly upload the other recordings in the works.

http://www.thenightseraph.com/Supremacy ... o%20Clips/

Dragon, how do you want our name listed in the credits?

The spoof stuff went in under "While you wait." We may use that stuff some day.

29 May 2009, 01:17

Spoof clips? That sounds interesting. Matress loves the Echo Papa 607 Defense System commercial that is contained in BOTF's program files. 8-)

29 May 2009, 01:33
Profile WWW
Crewman

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
Dragon, how do you want our name listed in the credits?

"Stop, calling me dragon! I have a name." =P

So, for the credits... hmm. Would it be ok to list me as; R. J. "Drahcir" Adams? If not then just drop the "Drahcir". Oh, also a gold star if anyone can work out my real first name. =P

Incidentally, regarding the Borg clip. Someone mentioned earlier on in the thread that the Borg voice is nothing more then an Echo effect. I haven't honestly had access to the latest sound altering software, but what I have found using things like Goldwave and Audacity is that the most effective sounding Borg voice is one created by recording the lines, then duplicating them several times. You leave one of the 'takes' in tact and alter the pitch up or down to varying degrees.

Since the Borg have a lot of base in its collective voice, I used more pitch downs then pitch ups. I think I ought to remove the highest pitch one maybe... anywho, I'm away for the weekend now so I'll give the rest of the galactic powers a whirl when I get back.

29 May 2009, 15:37

You can choose any name you want to use in the credits list...Dragon. :mischief:

Some people use their forum name, some people have chosen to use their real name. It's completely up to you.

Altering the pitch of a voice file and then mixing the altered versions with the originals does seem to be the best way to make the Borg. It isn't perfect though, so some echo, reverb, chorus, phaser, or flanger effects might improve it a little. I just had a go at Borigfying my voice. I added in the backround engine hum sound effect from Armada as well. I altered my voice in 5% pitch increments from 80-120%.

Attachment:
Matress_of_Borg.mp3 [484.98 KiB]
Downloaded 465 times

29 May 2009, 18:44
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I am guessing that Mike will be the one to add in Borg voice when we first run into them. Those kinds of clips are most of what we have on SharePoint. Do we need any Borg lines for when Wolfe's combat engine is running? Wolfe?

29 May 2009, 19:14
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

I should have the Borg clips i did somewhere :mischief: so don't worry about those for now.

Regards Wolfe

30 May 2009, 16:25
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Drahcir-TM-Dragon has recoded the Romulan combat clips. You can hear it here.
http://www.thenightseraph.com/Supremacy ... o%20Clips/

There is some very nice work in that. Also look for things like Q.
(Remember we are working in .wav format. We stopped using mp3 a while back.)

I have uploaded the clips to SharePoint. Drahcir will be on the road for a time. We hope to here more later. If Mike has time by then he will have his own SharePoint login.

03 Jun 2009, 03:36
Crewman

Indeed, sorry about the Mp3's, I only used them in the case of the samples and skits because they were smaller to upload. However if you want, I have the original .wav files handy still.

I'm still gonna be around for a couple more days before the move, just haven't got much time save for the odd message here and there. And knowing me they will be very, very odd. =P

03 Jun 2009, 09:37
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Nice, though to be honest i was expecting a girls voice :), and I'am guessing this will only be true if you have been smoking 50 a day and downing a bottle of brandy every night :P

Regards Wolfe

05 Jun 2009, 19:46
Crewman

Added four mp3s to the Sharepoint folder for voices. Mix match however you like, I don't really know which race they should go. they're all me nonetheless so keep my label on them.

06 Jun 2009, 10:31
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Thanks Davumaya, those sound really good. I will download them, convert to wav and break them up to the appropriate subfolders as I find the time.
:borg:

06 Jun 2009, 14:59
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I was able to do a little work on your voice clips. That EJ voice clip 1 sounds very nice. It has a rich deep tone to the voice. I will convert to wav and cut it into clips for the subfolders. Klingon or Cardassian, what do you think?

08 Jun 2009, 03:46
Crewman

cdrwolfe wrote:
Nice, though to be honest i was expecting a girls voice :), and I'am guessing this will only be true if you have been smoking 50 a day and downing a bottle of brandy every night :P

Regards Wolfe

It's the avatar, isn't it? =P Nope, I'm as manly as man with masters degree manishness, graduated from man high school with manly honors and a with a dog named Manfred-man-manny-man.

Though I'm not adverse to a spot of Jane Austen... but don't tell anyone.

12 Jun 2009, 16:01

Quote:
I'm as manly as man with masters degree manishness, graduated from man high school with manly honors and a with a dog named Manfred-man-manny-man.
You've been watching Blackadder, haven't you? :P

12 Jun 2009, 16:20
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next