View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 13:26

Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 TRANSLATORS WANTED! 
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Well, text boxes are on the world :), but I am unable to make shadows. I don't know if Office 2003 does have this function, but I think it is not so important. I believe Czech mutation of User's Manual will be very similar to English one.

Live good and prosper!

EDIT: Tonight later...
OK, so 1st 7 pages are done. I have tried to play with some pictures and translated some buttons in menues (I expect one day everyting will be translated in real :) ). When I will have some more time, I will finnish it (I expect until end of next week). Then I will post somewhere.

P.S. I have little problems with fonts, because they are created for WE or US, not for CE :(

Full size -> http://eveonline.mapnet.cz/eve2/screenshots/supremacy/screenshot.jpg

10 Apr 2010, 17:05
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
I believe office 2003 has shadows but I seem to recall that it is difficult to find where the function is. I can't remember now. I would have to do some looking to find it and of course don't have the version anymore. Your work looks very promising indeed. Bashir.

11 Apr 2010, 00:25
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Hello guys,
I'm an english <-> polish translator and a great fan of Star Trek. When I found Star Trek Supremacy I played for 300rounds in one session. I remember the original BOTF and I would really like to see Supremacy in my native language (Polish - Polski). So if it is possible I would be more that happy to do the polish translation. It would be an honor to join the crew. :D

10 May 2010, 15:43
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Welcome zotar and we are honored to have your offer of help. I will let Matress know so he can add you to the list of translators.
:borg:

10 May 2010, 16:07
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Thank you for a warm welcome Kenneth_of_Borg!
I am really eager to get to work on the translation - just let me know where to start! :)

There is one more thing I've thought of while browsing through the forum - I can test the game on various computer configurations and operating systems (at least 47 different configurations - I'm not a computer geek ;P - I just have unlimited access to them). So I was thinking about testing the game for:

1) launch problems (I had some problems with starting the game program on an HP ThinClient Terminal (windows xp embedded) but finally was able to resolve the problem by setting the compatibility mode to windows 2000)

2) stability issues (the game slows down and then bursts with speed when I launch it from a pen drive - It is actually a great idea to keep the game on a pen drive - this way I always have it with me! :) )

3) save problems (I've actually encountered a problem with saving games above 200round on a Dell d620 notebook running windows xp professional pl - the game crashes but the auto saves work fine)

4) game files size growth (after 3 days of playing the folder grew some 200mb - I don't know is it due to frequent saves or something else)

Today I showed Star Trek Supremacy to my pupils (I am an English language and computer technology teacher). They were very interested in the game and I hope that they will have some insightful tips for me tomorrow.

10 May 2010, 17:25
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Great. I am going to ask Matress to take over at this point. I think he is at work right now but it should not be too long.

10 May 2010, 19:07
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Not at work mate, I was working behind the scenes on this already hehe.

I've now officially launched a new forum user group for the translators. All translators, including you zotar, will have their names show up in purple to set you apart from other forum members. Your rank is also Communications Officer by default, and you will automatically receive any messages that are sent to the Translator group.

I'm going to send one now to ensure the system works. Check your PM's, translators!

10 May 2010, 19:24
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

You are the man Matress.
Thanks,

10 May 2010, 19:48

Thanks Kenneth. :)

Now for your questions, zotar:

Please keep testing the game! As the game is tested on more configurations, our understanding of how the game works on those systems increases. Where there are issues, we can look into the cause and attempt to fix them.

Compatibility Problems: I've not heard of this issue before, so definitely good feedback. I'll pass it on to the programmer, Mike Strobel.

Stability Issues: Again, not heard of this issue before. I'm assuming you tested this on Vista or XP? Readyboost might be the cause of the speed boosts. The slowdown is something that we can't do much about at the moment though; by the very nature of the game, the amount of data produced per-turn increases exponentially. The game isn't yet optimised though, so that's one area the game will be improved in. There's also the possibility that the game currently has a small memory leak, but this is unconfirmed.

Save Problems: the only save problems I know of are when the game files are changed (Modded/updated), but that's to be expected. Again this is a bug i've not heard of before. I'm glad the autosave works, but it's odd. I'll pass this on.

Game Files Growth: This follows on from my comments about the stability issues; the game produces exponentially-increasing data with each turn that all needs to be processed, so it's inevitable that the game files will grow. There is also the possibility of a memory leak and the game isn't yet optimised. Still, 200 meg? That's biiig. Again, i'll pass this on.

Just so you know, Mike is currently off in Shanghai for some works thing. He'll be back soon though.

If you're a computer technology teacher, you might be interested to know that Supremacy is open-source. You can download the source code from the Supremacy Codeplex Site. Let your students play with it and give us all the feedback they can throw our way! :bigthumb:

10 May 2010, 20:01
Profile WWW
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

I'll talk to my pupils tomorrow and hopefully they will have some interesting feedback about the game for us.

As to my technical difficulties I've mentioned - I'll try to describe them in more detail later on.

Open-source is good news. Although my pupils are mostly language "experts" (I work at a foreign language secondary school) some of them do have some knowledge in programming and 3d modeling - I'll talk to them about giving the game a good going over and making suggestions for future development/enhancement.

10 May 2010, 20:58
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples

zotar wrote:
I am really eager to get to work on the translation - just let me know where to start! :)

Suggestion: You should start with the XML file named: TextDatabase in the folder supremacy. This is the structures descriptions file. Example:

<Entry Key="CARD_STATE_RATIONS">
<LocalizedEntries>
<LocalizedEntry Language="en">
<Name><![CDATA[State Rations]]></Name>
<Description><![CDATA[Each citizen of the Cardassian Union is allocated a fixed annual entitlement of rations. The social elite enjoy a different arrangement, but this does not detract from the government's generous handouts of food, water, and general goods coupons.]]></Description>
<Custom1><![CDATA[]]></Custom1>
<Custom2><![CDATA[]]></Custom2>
</LocalizedEntry>
</LocalizedEntries>
</Entry>

In french language, it give:

<Entry Key="CARD_STATE_RATIONS">
<LocalizedEntries>
<LocalizedEntry Language="en">
<Name><![CDATA[Rations de l'Etat]]></Name>
<Description><![CDATA[Chaque citoyen de l'Union Cardassienne est doté d'un droit annuel fixe de rations. Cependant l'élite sociale bénéficie d'une entente différente, mais cela ne porte pas atteinte aux aumônes généreuses du gouvernement en nourriture, eau et coupons généraux de marchandises.]]></Description>
<Custom1><![CDATA[]]></Custom1>
<Custom2><![CDATA[]]></Custom2>
</LocalizedEntry>
</LocalizedEntries>
</Entry>

In the game,by pressing the button: BUILD LIST on the right of the screen, there are 2 buttons: STATISTICS and DESCRIPTIONS, press the DESCRIPTIONS button and your translated text appears.

13 May 2010, 02:36

I have another solution until the release of the multilingual editor, each translator may use the method to copy / paste in:

- the XML files following in the DATA folder: Civilizations, CivStringDatabase, Races, TextDatabase.
- the TEXT files following in the TEXT TABLES folder: BonusDescriptions, EnumStrings,
- the EN file in the STRINGS folder.

(see a french example in the post above this.)

09 Jun 2010, 12:47

Any news from any of the translators? How are things going? Bashir

11 Jun 2010, 02:05

Why would there be any news? Unless the translators manually edit the files as Starfleet suggests (Which isn't advisable unless you're familiar with xml and are careful not to accidentally delete or change programming entries), then there is no way for the translators to do their work - yet.

Once the new editor is released, they will be able to work on the actual translations then.

12 Jun 2010, 00:23
Profile WWW

I was thinking of the manual. The first post at the top of this page was about it. CB

12 Jun 2010, 03:57

Or-Horo hasn't been on the forums in almost two months. I haven't heard from him and none of the other translators have contacted me about doing translations.

12 Jun 2010, 10:57
Profile WWW
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Hi to everyone, I'm new here.
First of all: this is a WONDERFUL fan effort! And I want to thank you all for this game.
I've continued playing BOTF during all these years, that game is immortal.

I could translate the game to italian if someone is interested in that.

21 Jun 2010, 14:12
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Welcome Dim1985. We are glad to have you on the team.
As soon as Matress comes back we will add you to our
list of translators. He can point you to where the text
is that needs translation.

Yes, it is a nice game. :wink:

21 Jun 2010, 19:28

Comes back? Who said I left? lol

I'm at home and computerless at the mo. I'm writing this on my wii so it's difficult to type messages.

Welcome to the forums, Dim! :)

Thank you for your translation offer, we would gladly accept your help. Unfortunately though, the game does not come with an easy means with which to translate it. When I posted this thread, I thought a game editor was soon to be released. It hasn't ydt materialised though. So the only way to translate the game is to find the English text in the .txt and .xml files that the game comes with and translate that. Manually editing these files carries a great risk of accidentally deleting programming entries though. So unless you're willing to risk this, I would strongly advise you wait for the release of the editor. It's upto you, but most of the other translators have decided to wait. I will personally contact all the translators when the editor becomes available.

As i'm on my wii, its difficult to do stuff. I'll add you to the translators group when I get back to my computer, tomorrow or Thursday.

22 Jun 2010, 10:11
Profile WWW
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Ok, I've understood the editor problem.
So I think I'm gonna wait for now.

Thanks for the welcome! Have a nice day

22 Jun 2010, 11:50

Hey Dim, i'm back with my computer now and I just added you to the Translators group. Your name now shows up in purple, you're displayed in the Translators group list, and you'll automatically receive any messages sent to the Translators PM Group.

Welcome to the team. :bigthumb:

24 Jun 2010, 10:44
Profile WWW

Hello DIM, welcome in our group...

24 Jun 2010, 16:41
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Thank you guys!
I've read most of the forum threads, so I know you're a good bunch of people! :winkthumb:

24 Jun 2010, 20:09
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Ahaaa¡ :grin:

Well, well, well. I´ve discover the lair of the pack. I should have checked more carefully all the heads, but was focused in supremacy, help and bugs. And i´ve just begun to read threads.

Well, i think that is obvious i´m a new member of the team, i like a lot this project :love: . My regards for all of you, my colleagues.

Ok, now i have a clearer idea of what to do. My personal schedule was, until now, make a fully (at least as fully as i could) spanish translation. That means:

Translate
en.txt file (done) review in progress

For the next future days i have to travel, during 5 or 6 days, i´ll have access to internet, but not to my machine, so, no much to do. I´ll try to search in the forums and in dafedz site to update my info about game issues and all that.

After that i´ll begin the xml files translation. Review, checking....perhaps a week? I´m not sure, my sons are with me during the next month, so i´ll be a very occupied daddy.
Perhaps in two weeks i´ll have all done. I would like to begin with the manual also. Well, for now is enough.

I have a little question about the en.txt file. In spanish, i think in all romance languages, the adjetive follows the substantive. That´s the opposite in english. That presents some minor problems, for example, when the summary screen show you a message like this:

Planetary build queue is empty in the {0} system.
Shipyard build queue is empty in the {0} system.

Translation in spanish result in this:

Cola de construcción planetaria vacía en el sistema {0} .
Cola de construcción naval vacía en el sistema {0} .

I have to translate like this to avoid the wrong grammar position. As far as i´ve checked all is well in the game, my question is if there are things to have in count whem we move the position of something. In this case i´ve not touched the brackets but my experience as webmaster has make me learn the importance of the term case sensitive, and to be very, very careful when editing something.

Some of you have had any problem more serious?

Well i have more things to ask, but now i must leave. Happy to meet you.

See you.

Answer from Dr.McCoy: "If you're gonna get nasty I'm gonna leave."
Answer from CheKov: "It´s a Rrrussian rreflexion."
Uhura says: "Captain, I'm frightened."

29 Jul 2010, 17:30

I just posted in the other thread about the challenges with the translation, wulfbait. The English version of the files is NOT yet complete so please don't translate the game yet. I'll forward the files once they are ready, but they're full of bugs at the moment and we have a lot of non-bug-fixing updates implement as well.

If you want a hint as to what i'm alluding to, we're adding more special structures, adding new minor races, we've got a new intel system, we're implementing a new :censored: system, and we're expanding the :censored:.

Oh damn, i'm not allowed to announce those last two bits yet... :romulan:

29 Jul 2010, 19:48
Profile WWW
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Ha, little evil Romulan. You are speaking with wulfbait; you must know that any of my ancestors was Vulcan or any other powerful alien, buuuut...one of my neighbours is a beauty from betazed and is living with a brenari girl, both are in the Espasmus project. And you know what? They hate me, just for an innocent thinking about the possibility of certain gimnastics positions and the use of certain oily products, oh, well, no matter. But the case is that before of this silly accident i could obtain secret information. Yes, my friend, i know it all.

And if you want my opinion, i think that this class of weapons must be forbidden. The new klingon belching ray plus that diabolic device knwon as farting field well could mean the end of our civilization, not to mention their new buildings. A Fully Funny Fast Food for the Feast, (pronounced Beast), with autocatering mode on, a true nightmare. Specially the prices.

Well, here you are: a pic of the two girls, after spent her saves in a Bynar beauty parlor. I´ve read somewhere you needed something like this.

See you

29 Jul 2010, 22:51
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Hello, i´ve a question for starffleet.comand

I would like to coordinate with you, because french is very similar to spanish in certain aspects. I have already several questions and i would like to know your opinion about them.

For example, about the english terms Shipbulding, engage(a term with french origin), avoid, cloack, etc...

Shipbuilding=Atelier, Astillero. Substantive + adjetive (in english the opposite), etc...things like that. Perhaps by email? Or just in the forums. Whats your opinion?

See you

30 Jul 2010, 12:12
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

If you carry on the conversation in this or another thread there will be a record of your work. Other might benefit from it.

30 Jul 2010, 14:16
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Of course, that was the intention, but also to avoid too much topics and other innecessary chit chat. I have asked opinion to starfleet, because french is also a bit familiar for me (not so in italian, or rumanian or portuguesse). But my true intention is to obtain a copy of his datafiles about french girls, and do it whitout witnesses. :romulan:

Even we can make workgroups by language pattern, like romance language users, non romance language users, slavian, greek and other users with different alphabets, etc...stablish a common style for each one of them, make a prevision of possible isuues related with the future translation (like the size of definitions, the use of single words exprexions or multiple words expresions in the translation from english, etc)For example, when you write in english a phrase containing past perfect, you must think in the future translation to GERMAN, mainly. Or you must have in count the positionof adjetive for romance languages, etc... I think thath´s not yet done, and think that programmers will be happy to be aware of before it´s too late to make changes if neccessary, and things like this.

The growing potential of this game is simply awesome, better to be prepared for the future.

See you

30 Jul 2010, 14:49

Shipbuilding--->Construction Navale (in french)

Last edited by starfleet.command on 30 Jul 2010, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

30 Jul 2010, 15:12
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next