View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 02 May 2024, 19:54

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Can Help Out. Some C# Knowledge 
Crewman

I can help out with C# coding. I currently work with SQL Server SSIS packages, but I do work with Script tasks using C# script. I have programmed in VB, VB.net, and VBA as well. I have built basic websites and learned xml in college. I believe I can code a lot of the basic stuff, but would have to use Google to refresh myself on more advance stuff. I am pretty active in life, but would like to learn new things and want to expand on my C# knowledge. I can devote about 10 hours a week. I am sure you'll ask me more questions, but i thought i would provide the basics.

02 May 2012, 04:45
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Welcome aboard dude!

If you want to have a look at the source code of Supremacy (one of the projects here), see here:
https://bitbucket.org/mstrobel/supremacy

For any specific questions about C# or the Supremacy code itself, you should ask our programmer Mike (mstrobel here in the forum, send him a PM). He's in charge of code development for this project, so please get in touch with him.

For a discussion on some technical issues of Supremacy, see here:
viewtopic.php?p=70781#p70781

Some more stuff on other potential jobs or projects, see here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1752

Cheers,
Captain_P

"Seize the time, Meribor. Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again" -- Picard (The Inner Light)

02 May 2012, 10:18
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

Hmm, perhaps it would be best if you could start with the 3D combat engine, or atleast combat simulator.

02 May 2012, 11:12
Profile YIM WWW
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Excellent idea, but I don't think we have the source code for that (but correct me if I'm wrong), so anyone interested will have to start from scratch...

"Seize the time, Meribor. Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again" -- Picard (The Inner Light)

02 May 2012, 13:17
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Welcome and we are glad to have your help. Mike will be the one to point the way.

I have done a lot of work on 3d models for the game and now intro video for the major races. A 3d engine would be nice but I think other work on the basic game would help more right now. It is up to you and Mike. Do what you like the most in the end.

02 May 2012, 14:27
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
What Picard and vjeko1701 mean is that the combat engine was done once but won't end up working in the new program. It has to be done again. You might be able to see what the old one did (which looked pretty nice) as I believe there are You-Tube videos of it. Keep in mind that for a multiplayer game a long drawn out combat will bore the other players as they wait. It may be better to have one version for mulitplayer (quicker) and one version for an individual against the computer AI. I leave it open here for what others weigh in with, but that would be my opinion.

All this is mute if there isn't a completed playable basic game. If I was a C# programmer, I would be working with Mike to get that done first. At this point, I would be happy to just see finished, the new aspects that Mike has started, and the rest just a nicer (bug free) version of the old game. Someone once wisely said (in these forums) "beware of feature creep." ...taking a zillion suggestions for enhancements so that the program never gets done. Lets get a playable bug free game DONE first. We can feature creep later in Version 2 if there is a big call for it.

02 May 2012, 15:12

Oh, and by the way, Mike is a gifted programmer with C#. You will be fortunate indeed to use this game as a way of learning from him. That would be another reason to work on the basic game. What you would learn would be worth every hour spent, and that is no joke, believe me.

02 May 2012, 15:16
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Captain Bashir wrote:
Oh, and by the way, Mike is a gifted programmer with C#. You will be fortunate indeed to use this game as a way of learning from him. That would be another reason to work on the basic game. What you would learn would be worth every hour spent, and that is no joke, believe me.

To that end the captain b and I are working on the game with help from a pro 3d artist. It helps a lot for us and the game.

02 May 2012, 16:20

Yeah this really is a good group / fraternity to work with. It is a fan project for the love of the game, as well as the love of skill development. Anything we can do to support you, you got it!

02 May 2012, 17:37
Composer of the Ear Candy
Composer of the Ear Candy

Location: Canada, thumping on my keyboard or smashing a mouse!
Hi and welcome unknown!
I'm helping out also creating the music but that will be much later I guess.
Anyway, if you need to test my music or some other, or just listen to what I've done so far, it's right there to your fingertips.
Good day!
:mrgreen:

03 May 2012, 01:46
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]