View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 18 May 2024, 13:16

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 I'd like to Help 
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

as to what i do, well only got to programming design in university, so learning the a6 programming, would take a while, proberly too long. But i'm online alot and had loads of experience testing. had no experience in audio or modelling but could learn. in botf days i did help amazing rsa in creating a learning manual for rsa for all the newbies in the last days of botf

06 Mar 2006, 14:44
Jig of the Puff
Jig of the Puff

it can`t have been a very good manuel, i kicked amazings ass plenty off times :lol: want to try your hand at minor race intros? look in the minor race thread pick a few and give it a go, post it up so we can have a listen and from there we can figure out if it needs more work or is suitable.
@Moe, dude i gave you this job, were are you?

06 Mar 2006, 15:04
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

You might have given me this job Jig, but I haven't got a clue what i'm actually supposed to be doing!

I've asked people for info, but no-one knows what is going in with progress and stuff.

I can't assign people to doing stuff since I don't know what needs to be done, and I don't know what has been done. And ven if I did know those things, I don't know what the design brief or whatever for the game is!

Assign this job to someone else if you feel they will work better, but I doubt you'll find a replacement coz no one knows anything! :lol:

I've simply never done this sort of thing before.

So could you just say: who is already doing what, and what positions still need to be filled? I can work from that basis onward.

I know Quantum has just gotten a copy of A6, so he could do some programming stuff, but what I haven't a clue.

06 Mar 2006, 15:32
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

This is why we need a design document which has a complete outline of the project.

06 Mar 2006, 15:51
Jig of the Puff
Jig of the Puff

well all race ui grapics need doing, all minor and major race speach need doing (unless i get this pugin to work, not tryed it yet) a clear list written up of what has bascily been decided, not a complete one, just the basics so we know were we are working from, i wanted you to do this as you seem to know just about everything which has been decided :lol: we still require 3d meshs, the minor races, the ones i sent gav i doubt i`ll get back, and as dafedz is also awol fed, rom and kling ships are still needed, they need to be sent to me in .3ds with a single texture file, it can be up to 2048x2048 if people want to make detailed textures. i need textures for the galactic map stars, i need a full range of all planet type meshs and it is now your job to sort through this and make it so.
for meshs, contact all the guys who said they will contribute models, and get waht they have, the nlook through the shiplist and see what else is needed. do not worry about card ships, i have those on a disc.

06 Mar 2006, 15:56
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Finally some organisation. It's a thing I always missed with Gavin, what everyone always missed. Even though it will take a long time still for it to reach completion, there is something going on.

I'd like to aid in the process as well. I've been thinking about my abilities and found only one thing I could do. I can't model, know only very basic scientific programming (with Java) and that's about it. There are heaps and heaps of texts that need to be written. Technologies, structures, ships, stations, races, help files, etc. etc. and that for all the 5 races. I know a lot has been done (no idea what, though), but can't imagine all of it. Things like that, proofreading, grammar / spell checking, etc. I just want to do something to help ;)

06 Mar 2006, 16:02
Jig of the Puff
Jig of the Puff

@vardin, if you look at the shiplist all of the mwill need a brief description written up, if you can do a draft and post it here the nwe can pick over it and get it perfect (not that you might not get it perfect :lol: ) once this is done i can have it as a .txt file and set up a string for the engine to read from it, this will alos allow for easey translation to other languages.

06 Mar 2006, 16:09
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

whoa thats a tough bit, the only thing i know about audio is recording ya voice, i'd love to be able to record the andorian audio intro, but i'd need to know how i'd change the audio to sound like shran from enterprise. what programme is best for changing audio thats allready recorded, i'd recorded some audio then have a go at changing it to sound like shran and then i'd think about what to say

06 Mar 2006, 16:40
Jig of the Puff
Jig of the Puff

@ raiden this may not be nessacary as i have a text to speech plugin for a6 which i have yet to test. i also have another plugin (cheers skeeter for that link) which will show your oponents talking to you in the diplomacy screen, also still to be tested out though. give me a few weeks to test these things out and if they work ok then there will be no need for wav intros at all. and as it is all read from a text file once again the language barrier is breached :D for a manuel iwulff has been working on a flash one, contact him via pm to see if you can help him at all.

06 Mar 2006, 16:52

Right, i've just set up a new thread for the Minor Race Special Structures Pictures. That's my first step towards sorting stuff out.

The site glitched though, so it's recorded the post from "Guest" - so I can't edit it. :evil:

If one of the Staff members (Jig, Skeeter, Iwulff, Undated) is reading this, could you delete the thread so I can do it again? Thanks.

06 Mar 2006, 20:19
Profile WWW
Jig of the Puff
Jig of the Puff

were did you put it? o and great news everyone, i have been in contact with dafedz and the prodigal is returning.

06 Mar 2006, 20:34
Klingon Honor Guard
Klingon Honor Guard

Deleted thread as requested, pm moe the whole post for easy posting again.

06 Mar 2006, 20:40
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I've started to write descriptions for the ships, starting with the Federation. At this point, I'm halfway their shiplist (using Dafedz' shiplist), though it remains tricky to come up with new and not to repeat myself over and over again.

Anyway, just saying that I'm working on it, will post the list when I've finished the Feds.

08 Mar 2006, 01:56

It might be best if you create a new thread once you've done them, Centurion.

People will be more likely to notice them if they have a thread of their own.

On another point, are you going to use the random events that me and OmniQ came up with, Jig?

http://notepad.niagarafalls.com/random.txt

08 Mar 2006, 08:42
Profile WWW
Jig of the Puff
Jig of the Puff

yes moe, we will use that as the final list, no more will be added so let it be known that random events are no longer up for debate should anyone ask.

08 Mar 2006, 17:35

Oh, well what about finishing off the existing ones?

I'm pretty sure that we never got round to finishing them off, but which ones still need doing, i'm not entirely sure. It's just been so long since I last looked at them. The majority of them are finished though, so it doesn't really matter too much.

Someone can just put together some ideas when the time comes to entering them into the game. I'm gonna make a shiplist thread in a minute, coz Skeeter asked me to, so i'll check out the random events to see which ones need finishing off.

I'll see if I can dig out my old Romulan and Klingon random events lists, to see if I made any more that weren't included. That should decrease the work load if I did make any.

I didn't make any of the ones for the Cardassians or Dominion though, so if any of those are missing, they will have to be done from scratch.

09 Mar 2006, 00:05
Profile WWW
Crewman

Ok, so i have been reading through the forums and gotten an idea of whats going on. I took a semester of programming using vb. The class was fun and i didnt have a hard time learning it. I see that a program called a6 is being used. I tired to look it up to find out more about it and i ended up at a site, 3dgamestudio.com. I wouldn't mind learning it and helping out with some of the programming. I work two jobs, but sit on my ass most the time when im there. I also have a laptop and am not currently in school so that means i have hours of free time throughout the day. If my offer would help then please let me know. peace!

19 Apr 2006, 11:53
Klingon Honor Guard
Klingon Honor Guard

A6 is http://www.3dgamestudio.com

19 Apr 2006, 14:54
Crewman

i'd like to help in any way possible, you need backgrounds, images etc. and i'll find it and if there is anything else just tell me because i think this project is great!
Although i never played BotF i have played almost every other st game and BotF sounded great but could never find a copy :( so this here project is very exciting for me!

yeah, so if you need anything just ask!

04 May 2006, 03:36
Crewman

i could compile a list of ships from various angles to assit the modellers or for the manual too if you want...

04 May 2006, 03:48

Quote:
i could compile a list of ships from various angles to assit the modellers or for the manual too if you want...

I've technically already done that, the_aus_treker.

My Shiplist Thread

I've posted the complete shiplist, and i've included which models need to be made and which ones have already been done. I've also included views of the ships where possible. God it took a long time to write it. :lol:

If you'd like to make graphics for the game, get in contact with Silvercliff. He's the guy that is doing all the graphical stuff for the game. If possible, send him some examples of your work as well.

As for the Database, we don't need pictures of the ships because the Database will simply feature a rotating model of the ship instead of a picture. It was done like that in BOTF as well, and is great eye candy for the game. :wink:

If you'd like to help with the Database though, Dafedz is the guy who is doing that. He's already done a lot of work on it though, so I doubt there is much he could give you to do at the moment. :(

If you'd like to make a model, feel free to do any of the models that haven't been done in the link that I posted above. If you need some tips to get you started, Jigalypuff, Skeeter, Fireball, General_Nemitor, and Zahadoom may be able to help you with that.

Check the threads as well, coz there's plenty of information scattered round.

Scifi-meshes is a great place to get inspiration and help as well.

If you'd like to have a go at wording some of the random events, then i'm your guy. I can send you some stuff to do on that, and I can send you examples of my own work for inspiration. I've got exams and stuff on for the next couple of weeks though, so i'm not on the site or making the random events as much as i'd like though. :cry:

It's up to you what you decide you want to do. The more help we can get though, the faster the game will be made.

This applies to EVERYONE that is reading this post! If you have some free time and skills that you think will be of benefit to the games(s) then feel free to volunteer. I've posted plenty of information in this post and in my various threads to get people started.

04 May 2006, 10:14
Profile WWW
Crewman

alright, i'll hav a go at the random events, should be fun (if tedious).

22 May 2006, 02:39
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]