View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 06:35

Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Race pictures for the game (2.5 mb loading) 
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Dopterians

The Dopterians are a humanoid race who are theorized to have evolved from Ferengi proto-humanoids transferred to another world. They have orangish skin and have four-lobed brains, making it impossible for them to be sensed by telepaths. They are known for their duplicity. They are capable of spaceflight, but most of their other technology lags behind other races. Their spacecraft are usually not manned, but instead are simple automatic attack weapons. They often have relations with other races to further their own species wealth and technology.

16 Dec 2004, 01:06
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Talaxians

The Talaxians are a humanoid civilization from the planet Talax. They are characterized by their short stature and spotted temples. They have technology that lags slightly behind other similar races. Their spaceships are made mainly for speed and freight duty, but they are armed and will defend themselves if necessary. They are a non-violent species who like to open trade and friendship relations with other races.

16 Dec 2004, 01:22
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The Elaysian

The Elaysian are a spacefaring humanoid people who live on a low-grafity world. Because of this only a handful have left ventured off-planet where they need anti-gravity wheelchairs to move around. They are familiar with mass transit concepts and have developed efficient ways to have a normal live on planets with a higher gravity. The Elaysians are a peaceful race, willing to go into diplomatic talks whenever possible.

Q: The trial never ended. We never reached a verdict. But now we have. You're guilty. Picard: Guilty of what? Q:Of being inferior.

17 Dec 2004, 20:50
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Tamarians

The Tamarian are a humanoid race, distinguished by their orange skin and reptilian features. They have a highly complex language, using metaphors from their mythology to communicate. Their technology is on par with most advanced races. Their ships have advanced weapons, using powerful particle beam weapondry. They seem to be a friendly race, but the language barrier can make contact difficult.

17 Dec 2004, 23:40
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

okeey i have added them.

Does anyone have a picture of the night race, that was threatened to extinction by the malon? I mean a good res picture perhaps a screen cap? Or for that matter any other bad looking pictures that i have placed?

Q: The trial never ended. We never reached a verdict. But now we have. You're guilty. Picard: Guilty of what? Q:Of being inferior.

18 Dec 2004, 15:09
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

here's a close-up of the night race
http://www.neutralzone.de/database/Alie ... nology.htm

18 Dec 2004, 20:42
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

thanx, i think this one looks a lot better then the one now displayed. :wink:

18 Dec 2004, 21:22
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Okeey it still needs some changing for the stuff around the alien, but i already looks a lot better, then it would have been. :lol:

18 Dec 2004, 21:28
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Another race description

Tellarites

The Tellarites are a porcine race from the planet Tellar. They are highly skilled at architecture and metallurgy. Tellarite technology is on par with most races. Their ships are well-armed and well-armored. Tellarites are characetized by their thick fur and deep-set eyes. They are a quarrelsome species, considering argument a form of sport. They are normally a turstworthy and peaceful race, but are also very emotional and will quickly turned to rage if given reason to do so.

I also put a horta picture in the gallery that can replace the fuzzy one in the race list.

Last edited by omniq on 20 Dec 2004, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.

18 Dec 2004, 22:54
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

just found a nice piece for the night race, it is some sort of episode discriptions with picture of them and their ships. Would be useble for jigaly or someone else who wants to make these ships for the game:

http://www.uss-voyager.bravepages.com/lforms4/species_nightaliens.htm

19 Dec 2004, 18:35
Crewman

Dunno if my timing is proper...

Borg

The most feared civilization in the galaxy, the Borg are a race of cybernetic beings. The Borg-occupied space consists of countless star systems occupying a sizable portion of the Delta Quadrant. The Borg operate as a collective mind, with every individual wiped of their individuality and becoming part of the whole, via a subspace link. They expand by "assimilating" other races, adding their genes, knowledge, and technology into the collective. Their ships are usually rectangular, cubic, or spherical, and have extremely advanced technology. The ships can be upgraded, repaired, and modified at an unbelievable rate, allowing the ship to "adapt" and neutralize any resistance it encounters. The Borg posess the ability to create "Transwarp conduits" that allow any ship to quickly deploy across the galaxy.

Last edited by BlasterMaster555 on 23 Dec 2004, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

22 Dec 2004, 21:28
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Well it is a good discription, but will the borg be in as a race also, or that you would get a message like this, that you have met the borg, with a small discription of this. Anyway i will add them, and we will see if it will come in the game. Thanx! :wink:

23 Dec 2004, 08:55
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

I like what you wrote for the Borg, BlasterMaster555. I don't know whether i'm being pedantic here, but there are going to be 5,000 star systems in the game - so according to what you have written, the Borg will own the Galaxy! 8O :lol:

Of course, it doesn't really matter, if we're going to go for faith on canon trek.

Oh, if only we were the Borg... :twisted:

Just a quick observation, that's all.

23 Dec 2004, 17:45
Profile WWW
Crewman

I edited the Borg description to fit the game wihtout losing "canon" trek consistency (whatever the heck "canon" means). Besides, the Borg probably took a thousand more systems by the time Voyager got home...

23 Dec 2004, 19:44
Profile WWW

'Canon' trek is trek that has appeared in any series or episode. If it is a book, chances are it isn't canon trek, unless it was actually written by Paramount.

Trust me, there are some people who will not accept trek, unless it is canon. Beware not to offend these people. They generally hunt down their foes and force them to accept the 'truth' of trek, or die! :lol:

SonOfMogh is one of these people, but don't worry; he won't try and kill you (Unless you insult Klingons) 8O

I have sort of...mentioned a few non-canon things in his presence. Not an experience I will go through again...

Anyway, you're probably right, the Borg would have taken over still more systems by Voyager's time. (I'm not so sure about after Voyager's time though) :lol:

Sorry about my pedanticism, i've just learned about things the hard way...

23 Dec 2004, 19:52
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

As far as amount of sytems held is concerned, canon doesn't really apply to the game. Reason being all races begin with one sytem, and expand outward. This goes for Romulans, the Federation, even the Pakleds.

As a result any descriptions about races owning large parts of the galaxy can't be included, obviously there will be games where you're faced with a massive Andorian empire well into the TNG era, and others where the Dominion have 2 colonies and 4 ships. Choices made and luck will determine who succeeds, this keeps the game interesting.

The Borg are a little different as they will be a randon rather than a race, although they will be able to assimilate planets and expand their space...

23 Dec 2004, 21:56

Would it work if the Borg started off as a random event, (A single Cube or Sphere if these are going to be included) but if it then managed to assimilate a system, then could the Borg effectively become a minor race, which then starts to build more ships and assimilate the rest of the Galaxy over time?

You could then have games where the Borg could assimilate half the Galaxy, before you could mount an effective counter-offensive, and have other games where they never make an appearance.

Of course, they would need a module etc. for this, but someone is bound to make one.

24 Dec 2004, 15:36
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Uhh dont get on me. Well I didnt read through all 12 pages so this probably has been brought up.

Like with the size of their empire their level of technology is very much in question depending on when you meet them and what condition they are in at that time.

24 Dec 2004, 23:48

Oh, don't worry about joining in mid-post, it's what i've done on quite a few.

My last post was just a general what-could-the-Borg-do thing.

Anyway, in another thread, I wanted to stick some pics up. I can't actually put them in though, so I was wondering if anyone knew how to do it. I just though you guys may be able to help, coz you've put up the race pics in.

They're good pics by the way, keep it up! :wink:

28 Dec 2004, 20:04
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Matress_of_evil wrote:
Would it work if the Borg started off as a random event, (A single Cube or Sphere if these are going to be included) but if it then managed to assimilate a system, then could the Borg effectively become a minor race, which then starts to build more ships and assimilate the rest of the Galaxy over time?

You could then have games where the Borg could assimilate half the Galaxy, before you could mount an effective counter-offensive, and have other games where they never make an appearance.

Of course, they would need a module etc. for this, but someone is bound to make one.

preperations already have been made about the thoughts of the Borg. The Borg will begin with a level 1 attack they will try and assimalte systems and destroy vessels, when this level 1 attack gets destroyed, then another attack will appear in some time a level 2 attack, perhaps this time instead of a interceptor a sphere or something? a assimilated system can produces borg space, and the space around it and on the hex itselfe will be called borg space. So they wil be in some way a empire only extremely evil. This way they can take over the intire galaxy, so you might have to unite under one banner. :)

Some other questions about the Borg?

28 Dec 2004, 23:45
Cadet
Cadet

Why not just use the outline I made of how to make the Borg a playable then?

29 Dec 2004, 06:22
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Because most people want the Borg to be something totally seperate in the normal game. Rather than an equal, balanced empire the Borg will be as scary, as deadly and as powerful as they were in Star Trek. Having them bound by a set of guidelines seems wrong.

Of course I'd download your playable Borg mod for a blast, and I'm sure it would be cool once in a while. But 99% of the time the Borg are going to be the race you hear a whisper of and turn a shade of white, not a conventional power.

29 Dec 2004, 10:59
Crewman

I concur. After playing Armada 2, I found the Borg to be a very normal race. This shouldn't be so in the game.

In trek, the Borg are a superpowerful race that assimilate everything that moves and "adapt" to tactics used against them. Everyone is petrified of the Borg (except Species 8472).

This means firing phasers may work only a couple of times, and then your ship better have something else to use. I wonder how the Borg will be implemented in that regard. Will they become more immune to attacks the more you use the same weapon? That would make sense, no? :wink:

29 Dec 2004, 17:03
Profile WWW
Crewman

Pakleds

Pakleds are not known for intelligence. Their ships appear to be rudimentary cargo craft, but the opposite is true. They pretend to have a "broken" ship to lure in rescuers, then take some hostage in exchange for more technology. Almost all of their technology has been acquired from other races. They speak a very rudimentary language, reminiscent of their rapid advancement into the interstellar age. They are not very powerful in combat, and are only hostile when they want "things to make us go".

29 Dec 2004, 17:19
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

SonOfMogh wrote:
Because most people want the Borg to be something totally seperate in the normal game. Rather than an equal, balanced empire the Borg will be as scary, as deadly and as powerful as they were in Star Trek. Having them bound by a set of guidelines seems wrong.

Just my point, Iwulff's description binds the Borg and makes them far weaker than they are supposed to be. This wasn't a problem BotF, the problem was that their apearence could easly finish the game either in victory or defeat, making game too random in that regard. The best solution is to make a Borg appearence extremely rare and for when it happens to have it so it doesn't wipe out your entire empire. Just a base or colony or two, and occasionaly have them head strate for your capital system right after attacking those couple of colonies. Them going to the capital system should be very rare though.

This keeps a Borg apearence more in line with other random events, something that's really anoying but not utterly devestating. In this case it's more dramatic and only somewhat more devistating on the off chance of it going really wrong.

29 Dec 2004, 19:36

The Borg would attack outlying colonies, to check what the technology level of the race is like. Once the Borg find any technology that they like, then they would head straight for the most populated system that is controlled by that race. (It might not necessarily be the home system though...)

If there is a Borg invasion early on in the game (Which is possible, if they are a random event) then the Borg would be unlikely to find any technology that they want, so after X number of turns, they should leave. However, as you progress, it should make it more likely that if a Borg invasion occurs, then they will attempt to assimilate your systems - sort of a downside to research I suppose.

Of course, if you didn't research technology, then the other races would start to overtake you, but if there was a Borg invasion, then they would be more at risk of assimilation, while you might survive one.

This could be another addition to the strategy of the game. :D

Whatever happens though, I think that the Borg should be something that you should really FEAR 8O :o

29 Dec 2004, 20:03
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

But if the threat of Borg invasion is too great then the primary strategy will be to have one or two systems and build a massive defenive fleet. You then always make sure to stay about fifty steps behind everyone else technologicaly and let the Borg eventualy wipe them out. Borg invasion should be date based depending on the map style of random, semi-random, and canon. If it's on semi-random, the Borg should start probing the local empires in the ~2360s, in canon, they should start probing on the exact date they destroyed those Federation outposts and colonies. Threat of actualy going to some ones homeworld then assimilating everythign should be a random event in relation to Borg invasion.

29 Dec 2004, 20:35
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

MajorDiarr wrote:
SonOfMogh wrote:

Just my point, Iwulff's description binds the Borg and makes them far weaker than they are supposed to be. This wasn't a problem BotF, the problem was that their apearence could easly finish the game either in victory or defeat, making game too random in that regard. The best solution is to make a Borg appearence extremely rare and for when it happens to have it so it doesn't wipe out your entire empire. Just a base or colony or two, and occasionaly have them head strate for your capital system right after attacking those couple of colonies. Them going to the capital system should be very rare though.

This keeps a Borg apearence more in line with other random events, something that's really anoying but not utterly devestating. In this case it's more dramatic and only somewhat more devistating on the off chance of it going really wrong.

That would certainly be a way to keep frequent Borg attacks, whilst not finishing the game each time. Good thinking.

30 Dec 2004, 00:00
Crewman

Another idea for a gamma quadrant race. The hur'q hail from the gamma quadrant. they were mentioned in DS9 the sword of Kahless, as the race that once conquered the klingon homeworld and took the sword of Kahless with them. Another race that was mentioned in the episode was the Fek'Ihri.
They were a people or culture conquered by Kalhess en route to founding the Empire with his first bat'leth, apparently a native faction in the pre-spaceflight era.
And again a few gamma-quadrant races; the Rakhari out of Episode: DS9 412 - Vortex
Planet: Rakhar, Gamma Quadrant. Humanoid race distinguished by heavy ridges down the nose and full heads of bushy hair. Aware and unafraid of space-farers, they cared little about outside contact through the wormhole and employed a swift and suspect justice system that wielded the death penalty on not only lawbreakers but all of their relatives.

Skrreea
Episode: DS9 430 - Sanctuary

Origin: Gamma Quadrant. A matriarchal humanoid Gamma Quadrant race dominated for 800 years by the T-Rogorans and forced to work as laborers and servants until the captors themselves were conquered by the Dominion. In the vacuum that followed, some 3 million fled and � through one of their natives � accidentally came through the wormhole to DS9 in 2370. The move appeared to fulfill a religious prophecy that their legendary "promised land" of Kentanna lay just beyond, which they interpreted as Bajor. When the overwhelmed Bajorans regretfully turned down their request they bitterly settled on the nearby Draylon II, as suggested � despite leader Haneek's argument that her hard-working people were just what the rebuilding Bajor needed. Their language patterns, syntax and sentence structure were unlike anything in the universal translator's database. Males are considered "too emotional" to be leaders, always fighting among themselves, and a female may be "bonded" to two or more males; the concept of a solo mate is unknown to them

All info has been taken from star trek.com

30 Dec 2004, 01:26

Well i'd vote for these races being in - if pics could be found or made for them, as well as special structures.

In a 5000 system game, 120+ races seems a bit low, but like SonOfMogh has previosly said; there are 120+ races, isn't that enough?

I personally think that enough isn't enough though :lol:

30 Dec 2004, 16:45
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next