View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 06:37

Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Race pictures for the game (2.5 mb loading) 
Cadet
Cadet

It would be nice if the aliens of the week gave more than one benefit over time.

30 Dec 2004, 21:06
Cadet
Cadet

Yes there should be something else associated with the minors apart of their one special building. Seriously I have no idea what that could be apart from another bonus :) as we wont be able to build their ships

30 Dec 2004, 21:16
Cadet
Cadet

A slight bonus would be suitable and if they gave a special building as well as a special vessel that would be cool. I understand not wanting their vessels since the never apeared in combat during DS9, although the Vulcan do have their own vessels. So it wouldn't be bad.

30 Dec 2004, 22:39
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Well if some races are going to be warp-capable, I think you should be able to build their ships. If you were in the ENT era, as the Feds, and the Vulcans joined you, the Vulcan ships would be more advanced than yours.

You would want to build their ships, even if they were only for defense of exploration (Not attack, otherwise it would be like giving the Federation a major war boost, and the Vulcans would never agree to it)

By the time you have reached TOS times though, the Federation will have improved to the point where the Vulcan ships are inferior in technology. Eventually, you will have to decomission them, or just keep them coz they look pretty. :D

31 Dec 2004, 14:02
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

For the purpose of the game I think that virtually all minors will have ships slightly inferior to the majors. That way there'd be no need to build their ships, no matter what tech level you're at, you're always a little better than the minors.

I believe their ships will also upgrade and be replaced over time.

It would be stupid if you've got an enormous fleet of Trill ships when playing as the Klingons, it just wouldn't feel right.

31 Dec 2004, 16:59
Cadet
Cadet

Dont like the idea. A minor can (if someone does a shiplist + models for them) become quite powerful. Making their ships beeing always inferior makes no sense as they wouldnt pose a threat then (except if they are technologically more advanced). Some minors should really pose a challenge, like the Breen, the Tholians, Hirogen Tamarians etc. They all seem to be able to pose a threat to the "major" powers.

31 Dec 2004, 17:05
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah without a doubt. Basically the 'majors' will always be able to build a ship which is a rough match for a minor, thus negating the desire to build their ships.

In BOTF the 'minors' had one design that they had right from early to late tech. As a result their ships seemed super powerful early on, and mediocre later. In this game all races will be pretty much on a level. If you meet the Trill in turn 50 and you're building NX classes, their ship will be either slightly more or less powerful, so as a result the player won't be frustrated if they can't build Trill ships. :D

31 Dec 2004, 17:10
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Well minors can become powerfull, but this depends per race. The Breen for instance means real danger, they can build up strong fleets and expand, though not as fast as the majors but still they can become dangerous to you. But if you want to give minors some more chance for dominance then change them when you are not satisfied with them. I know that a lot of people don't like to hear that, but it won't be that difficult to do you know. :lol:

Q: The trial never ended. We never reached a verdict. But now we have. You're guilty. Picard: Guilty of what? Q:Of being inferior.

04 Jan 2005, 08:57
Supreme Architect
Supreme Architect

I don't see any reason why minors can't advance in tech, have different designs over the eras, and upgrade ships just like the minors. It would be no trouble building series of different models for various ship-types they could develope over time. An early Trill ship for example in the ENT era could be very basic and primitive, and hence obviously not worth building.

08 Jan 2005, 06:00
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Why not have a bunch of generic designs and a single generic tech tree for the minor races? The ship list can then be punctuated with special ships from the shows where as all others will be things like those ubiquitous cargo ships and the craft the Maquis use.

08 Jan 2005, 06:28

I all fot that, but it could lead to a massive ship list - you're talking about at least one ship per era, per race.

At 120+ races, that means you need 480 ships, for the minors alone (Actually, it's less than that, but I don't know how many non-warp capable races there are)

On top of the less-than-480-ships, there will have to be the classes of ship for the Federation, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, and possibly the Dominion, as well.

That's a hell of a lot of ships. Can the game support that many? I know it's a completely new system, but all systems have limitations of some kind.

Of course, I don't doubt everyone's ability to create these ships! :lol:

People will probably start making the ships, just to prove to me that it can be done!

08 Jan 2005, 14:36
Profile WWW
Supreme Architect
Supreme Architect

With 120 races I'd assume we would only have half of those space-faring. Of those sixty let's say half of those again would only require a single design, with perhaps increases in weapon strength over time. Of the remaining thirty, ten would have three designs to reflect the advances through the eras, and twenty races, two.

120 Races.

60 - No ships
30 - One overall design.
10 - Three designs.
20 - Two designs.

That would make 100 separate models. In a collaborative effort I don't think that would be a problem. I cold probably make a dozen a day easily, it would be the texturing which would take a bit longer.

08 Jan 2005, 20:50
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Not all the races even need ships for each era, it can be cut down to the one or two ships we've actualy seen. To makes ships like the cargo ships, simple diamond like shapes can be used with a high quality skin and texture, just like what was down with Homeworld. It'll cut down on modeling time significantly alhtough making skins is the hardest I find.

08 Jan 2005, 22:10
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

dafedz wrote:
With 120 races I'd assume we would only have half of those space-faring. Of those sixty let's say half of those again would only require a single design, with perhaps increases in weapon strength over time. Of the remaining thirty, ten would have three designs to reflect the advances through the eras, and twenty races, two.

120 Races.

60 - No ships
30 - One overall design.
10 - Three designs.
20 - Two designs.

That would make 100 separate models. In a collaborative effort I don't think that would be a problem. I cold probably make a dozen a day easily, it would be the texturing which would take a bit longer.

I think this is a great idea, it just comes down to whether jiggly, or anyothers with programming know-how want to do it. But if it were up to me, I say go for it. :)

11 Jan 2005, 19:10

I've just thought of something. If (Some) of the minors are going to be able to expand, won't they need colony ships? (And possibly even troop transports/base constructors to build bases)

Of course, not all the expansionist races would build bases, but they would have fleets to protect themselves.

Because of this, the ship numbers for the minors will need another tweaking, and basically more ships will be needed to solve the problem.

Of course, the minors could have their own ship types, and there could be just one generic colony ship for them - the same could be done for a troop transport/base constructor, should they be included. This would mean only two ships would have to be added to the ship list.

If people don't like the idea of the minors having bases, perhaps the minors could be limited to having only Outposts, and not be able to build Starbases, and that even then, only the most 'powerful' of the minors (Like the Breen) would be able to build these in limited numbers.

Of course, if people support the idea, you could even end up with Mintakan 'Ultra Starbases', that are equipped with Transphasic torpedoes and Regenerative shielding! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I suppose there would be mods with this sort of thing... :D

17 Jan 2005, 17:48
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

I think they shouldnt be restricted in any way. So if someone would make models for them they should be able to do exactly the same things as the featured major empires can.

Some generic ships for some of the minors could make the galaxy feel more alive as long as there are no specially designed ships.

17 Jan 2005, 21:25
Cadet
Cadet

Most of the ships for generic empires should be generic. Only a few generic empires should have ships to call their own and even then it might be only one such ship that apears at a certain tech level.

18 Jan 2005, 06:53
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Okeey I finally have fixed some minor grammar errors in the race descriptions, and will say some things here that have to be done, I also have organized all the files on my computer, and will do this also with the pictures now. I would be thankful if someone who is excellent in the English grammar and stuff would take a look and write down any errors that are left. I also would like to hear input, if you want to have a race description changed then please tell me how it needs to be changed, and I will consider it:

First of all the Big random events:

1 I think that it would be wrong to place the Sphere Builders along the same lines as the other races. I much more prefer them as a thread. Yes I know another one, we already have the Borg and perhaps even Species 8472. But I propose to make the Borg the main attraction while putting species 8472 and the Sphere Builders as a somewhat less dangerous major random event.

2 We already know what we expect from the Edo guardian, I want the same to happen with the Ocampa and the Array. This is much easier, and why put in so much difficulty? I really favor this, but I will wait on what you have to say about this matter. Should you be randomly taken to this Array? Or should this option stay out?

3 How should we place the Sytherians. I know a use for them, why not make them a random event? Some ships would randomly go a certain point of space, where you will get some technology or science bonus and will get to see a little movie in the network news thing. One question remains, should they be send back?

4 I am not sure about the Na’Kuhl. I either need a other picture, or they will be out. I don’t want a species in a Nazi costume. I just think that it isn’t nice to put that in.

5 I still need race descriptions of the following races:

Iconnu (not official race name, because that one is unknown. You’ll have to put up with something, one indication is that they are hired to kill people).
Kaelonian
Nausicaans
Kantare
Pakled
Markalians
Menk
Tarkaleans
Tellerite
Vorgons
Wadi
Valakian
Vori
Yridians

There are perhaps a few others

6 These are the races that are going to be in the game as spacefaring races:
1. Acamarian
2. Andorians
3. Anticans
4. Axanar
5. Bajorans
6. Baneans
7. Benzites
8. Betazoid
9. Bolians
10. Bothans
11. Breen
12. Cheronians
13. Deltans
14. Denobulans
15. El-Aurians
16. Gorn
17. Haakonians
18. Halanans
19. Hazari
20. Hekarans
21. Hirogen
22. Kazon
23. Kellerun
24. Kreetassans
25. Ktarians
26. Lurians
27. Malon
28. Miradorn
29. Mokra
30. Night race
31. Ocampa
32. Orions
33. Paradas
34. Rakosans
35. Selay
36. Sheliak
37. Sikarians
38. Sona
39. Suliban
40. Swarm, the
41. Takarans
42. Tak Tak
43. Talarians
44. Talaxian
45. Tamarian
46. Tholians
47. T'Lani
48. Trabe
49. Trill
50. Ullians
51. Vaadwaur
52. Viidians
53. Vulcans
54. Voth
55. Xepolites
56. Xindi
57. Xyrillians
58. Zahl
59. Zalkonians
60. Zibalians

You see that is really a big list! We have to look at how many races do we want to have the capability for spaceflight, and how many minors do we want to have that will stay at the ground?

7 These are the races that are going to be in the game as minor races or non spacefaring races.

1. Akaali
2. Baku
3. Bandi
4. Bynars
5. Capellans
6. Dremans
7. Edo
8. Excalbians
9. Halkans
10. Horta
11. Hupyrians
12. Malcorians
13. Mintakans
14. Risans
15. Talosians
16. Vhnori

Small list I know…

8 These are the races that are yet unknown or uncertain for me, where to place them. I still don’t have enough minors races that can’t go into space. So we could drop a few here.

1. Algolians -> Rarely use warpflight
2. Angosians -> Barely reached warpflight
3. Antedeans -> Don’t like to go into warpflight
4. Arbazan -> NOT YET KNOWN
5. Argrathi -> NOT YET KNOWN
6. Barzan -> NOT YET KNOWN
7. Boslics -> Don't use warships, only freighters and perhaps colony ships
8. Bre'ellians -> They tend not to use ships
9. Cairn -> Barely reached warpflight
10. Caldonians -> NOT YET KNOWN
11. Chalnoth -> Barely reached warpflight, buy ships from other races
12. Coridan -> Barely reached warpflight
13. Corvallens -> They are mercenaries
14. Dopterians -> Use trade vessels and unmanned attack ships
15. Dosi -> Have spaceflight, but limited into trade vessels and some defense vessels
16. Elaysians -> Only a handful have left their homeplanet
17. Evora -> Barely reached warpflight
18. Flaxians -> Rarely use spaceships for their empire, only for personal benefits
19. Grazerites -> Use barely ships for the defense of their empire
20. J'naii -> They don't use many ships to defend themselves
21. Karemma -> Are a race of trade
22. Meridians -> NOT YET KNOWN
23. Nakuhl -> Should they come in the game
24. Nyrians -> Only use ships for attack, and either buy them or steal them from pirates.
25. Ornarans -> Only have impulse engines

9 First of all to a certain question of people here. All races that will be able to expand can be given troop transports and colony ships, to build bases and colonize worlds. If you don’t want them to have starbases then let these starbases out of the module. Also MajorDiarr, we will try to give every race ships that are more aimed towards them, we do not want 20 races with the same ships. So I think that in time all races will have different ships.

10 I haven’t added a lot the past month, this was mainly because I really was very busy with a lot of other things. Still I tried to post and do some things every day, and because I will have more time free in the coming weeks or even months, I will make more work to it. I will try to create some more system names, finally finish the basic beta technology tree. Will finish the rest of the race discriptions and pictures. Will make a list of all the randoms that will come into the game. This is what I am planning in the coming time, also I want to try to make some of these LCARS only now for other races like the Tholians or the Breen.

Q: The trial never ended. We never reached a verdict. But now we have. You're guilty. Picard: Guilty of what? Q:Of being inferior.

18 Jan 2005, 20:29
Crewman

Great list. My comments:

1. Algolians -> Rarely use warpflight
2. Angosians -> Barely reached warpflight
3. Antedeans -> Don’t like to go into warpflight

They should have ships but tend to make only a few of them and they don't expand.

4. Arbazan -> NOT YET KNOWN

Those that arent known could be minor for starters, if anything comes out later ships can be added, right?

7. Boslics -> Don't use warships, only freighters and perhaps colony ships

This would be interesting. A race with only freighters and colony ships. Maybe they should have only very light armed freighters and not expand.

11. Chalnoth -> Barely reached warpflight, buy ships from other races

Question: Will "minors" trade with each other? In sense the Chalnoth could buy ships from say Acamarians?

That's all.

18 Jan 2005, 21:59
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

You know that would also be an option. I totally forgot about that one. :oops: So we could give them the possibility to have say one type of ship, but only not capable of expanding.

I am not entirely sure about trading between minors. I should ask this. :lol: I do know that module races can trade. I will ask Gavin when he is online and will post it in this topic. :wink:

18 Jan 2005, 22:05
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here's my description for the Tellarites, it was back on page 15 (o, how long ago)

Tellarites

The Tellarites are a porcine race from the planet Tellar. They are highly skilled at architecture and metallurgy. Tellarite technology is on par with most races. Their ships are well-armed and well-armored. Tellarites are characetized by their thick fur and deep-set eyes. They are a quarrelsome species, considering argument a form of sport. They are normally a turstworthy and peaceful race, but are also very emotional and will quickly turned to rage if given reason to do so.

There is also this one from BlasterMaster555 which was back there too

Pakleds

Pakleds are not known for intelligence. Their ships appear to be rudimentary cargo craft, but the opposite is true. They pretend to have a "broken" ship to lure in rescuers, then take some hostage in exchange for more technology. Almost all of their technology has been acquired from other races. They speak a very rudimentary language, reminiscent of their rapid advancement into the interstellar age. They are not very powerful in combat, and are only hostile when they want "things to make us go".

18 Jan 2005, 22:16
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Thanx for letting me know! There was a lot of rechanging, because stuff got deleted by some error. Anyway i have those two now. :wink:

18 Jan 2005, 22:32
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I also just finished another one for the Kaelonians, im not sure what category they'd be in, it's kinda a toss-up

Kaelonians
The Kaelonians are a race from the planet Kaelon II. They have minimal spacetravel and are the undisputed masters in fusion technology. Their species is distinguished by the crimson rays on their forehead. Their culture practices the Resolution, a ritual suicide committed when a Kaelonian reaches the age of 60, so he does not become a burden to others.

18 Jan 2005, 22:33

Me no mind checking the grammer if ya wants it done. Me grammers like good init? :lol: I'm a bit busy at the mo, got an exam and seeing national treasure tommorow, but will check it out for you on thursday, if you want.

I agree with you about the sphere builders iwulff, they should be a random threat, sort of like a mini version of the Borg or 8472, and of course, still random. Perhaps they could be an 'early' random threat, while the Borg and 8472 could be more likely to occur in late TNG/VGR/DS9 era?

The Caretaker's Array should be just like the Edo guardian, and I think that there should be a random where your ships get pulled into the Delta Quad, just like Voyager - one problem though - how will your ship get back? It will automatically be out of refuel range (Since it is on the other side of the Galaxy) so will be unable to move (If it follows like BOTF, where a ship is automatically stranded, if your borders change) So how does it get back, unless this ship automatically gets fuel negated from it's needs, or is able to refuel at any system with a Gas Giant etc.

The Caretaker's array should have relatively few weapons, but should have massively powerful shields. The hull on the other hand, should be weak, since Voyager took it out with only two torpedoes. I know they had Tricobalt warheads, but they were basically just standard Federation torpedoes, albeit with a lot more oomph. They weren't even Quantum torpedoes though - the damage would have gone out in all directions, so the Array would not have taken the full force of the blasts. Since even an ordinary Starbase would be able to take a few more hits than two, I think this points to a weak hull.

I like the idea of the Cytherian/Sytherian (I thought it was spelt with a 'C' - or is it a different race with the same name - a bit like the Tarellian problem in trek?!) tech bonus. It could be done in a number of ways: -
1) You get a tech level increase of one for something.
2) You get a tech level increase of one for all techs.
3) You get a empire-wide percentage increase in research GRP for one turn.
4) You get an actual increase in GRP for one turn for your home system.
5) Either of the above two, but for multiple turns.
The Cytherians used a probe to make Barclay 'evolve' - they then implanted the idea of taking the Enterprise to the Cytherians to allow first contact to take place.

I won't be much help actually writing or providing info on many of the races, but you and OmniQ seem to be doing alright anyway.

18 Jan 2005, 23:30
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here's a slightly better picture of the Na'kuhl (ok, so it's not better, but luckily, no Nazi uniform)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/omniq/Vosk.jpg
Here's an improved Horta photo (instead of the superfuzzy one)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/omniq/horta.gif
This is an attempted Night Beings revamp (not the best)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/ ... beings.jpg

19 Jan 2005, 02:24
Crewman

The Pak'leds were the silliest "stupid aliens" in TNG. That was a fun episode to watch.

Is there a race description for species 90210... I mean, 8472? (thinking in Sev Trek)

19 Jan 2005, 05:08
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Location: Wolf 359 (it's a real place, our 5th nearest star, look it up!)
If you have any other races that need descriptions, i'll see what I can do. :D
-Jega

19 Jan 2005, 07:00
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

OmniQ i already have one for the night beings/race:

19 Jan 2005, 09:10
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here's another description:

Markalians
The Markalians are a race distinguished by their orange skin, elongated faces, and facial spikes. Markalian spacecraft are lightly armed and capable of low warp speeds. They lack technological prowess and are behind the progress of many other races. They are an aggressive race who are often hired as mercenaries and bodyguards. The Markalians are territorial of their space and protective of their property and profits.

Just as a suggestion, if you need another minor non-spacefaring/primitive (although we already got alot of minors), you could use the kolarans (those reptilian-like people from Nemesis)

20 Jan 2005, 00:27

Back from my exam, now lets get down to business.

Do you want me to check the gramma of all the races (Including the original races on the first 2/3 pages) or do you want me to just check the later ones?

I don't mind checking it all out if anyone wants me to. :( :lol:

How should I point out any mistakes? (I'm not saying there will be any) :oops: Shall I rewrite the entire race, or shall I just say line one is wrong...so-and-so is spelt...etc?

20 Jan 2005, 17:56
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next