View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 22:31

Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Race pictures for the game (2.5 mb loading) 
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

All the race discriptions are added to the first page of this thread. I already checked some of the grammer but there could be more.. I think you could just write down the name of the Race and the errors. Just as long as i know what you're talking about.

Q: The trial never ended. We never reached a verdict. But now we have. You're guilty. Picard: Guilty of what? Q:Of being inferior.

20 Jan 2005, 18:14
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

These are the changes that I think need to be made to the grammer/spelling on the race descriptions, iwulff. I have listed them in the orders of the pages, and the lines represent the line that they are on the screen, not the sentence number.

I have put what it actually says first, and then what it should be changed to. I have put alternate changes for some of these. (As indicated by the slash) just choose which one you want. Let me know if this is confusing you.

Page 1
Acamarians

Line 9 – more friendly -> friendlier.

Algolians

Line 9 - They are well known for the ceremonial music that they play at special occasions. They are usually a friendly and peaceful people. -> They are well known for the ceremonial music that they play at special occasions, and are usually a friendly and peaceful people.

Andorians

Line 6 – Andorians are a race that have a good bond with its nature and surroundings -> The Andorians are a race that shares a common bond with nature and their surroundings.

Angosians

Line 9 – Their ships they use are weak -> The ships they use are weak/Their ships are weak

Antedeans

Line 1 – Inhabited -> Inhabitants

Anticans

Line 1 - The Anticans are large, furry species -> The Anticans are a large, furry species
Line 4 – The Anticans species have the technology for interstellar spaceflight -> The Antican species has had the technology for interstellar space flight

Argrathi

Line 4 – virtual memories a prison stay -> virtual memories of a prison stay

Ba’ku

Line 3 and 4 – abandoned advanced technology to life in peace -> abandoned advanced technology to live a life of peace.
Line 4 – life -> live
Line 6 – and would give -> which give
Line 14 – them building -> them build/them in building

Bandi

Line 1 – are inhabitant to -> are inhabitants of/inhabit
Line 5 – are either transported -> were transported
Line 8 – for food and resources -> of food and resources

Banaeans

Line 3 – races -> race

Barzan

Line 2 – Barzans physiology -> Barzan physiology/Barzonian physiology
Line 5 – economic -> economy
Line 9 – politically -> political

Benzites

Line 3 – in oxygen atmosphere -> in an oxygen atmosphere

Betazoids

Line 1 – inhabitance -> inhabitants
Line 4 – because of their telepathic abilities-> because of these abilities
Line 10 – they rather observe than act -> they prefer to observe than act

Bolians

Line 8 – build -> built

Breen

Line 2 – are -> is

Caldonians

Line 1 – Caldonians are humanoid -> Caldonians are a humanoid

Chalnoth

Line 1 – the Chalnoth are an very violent race -> the Chalnoth are a very violent race

Cheronians

Line 6 – that what colour the right side of you makes you inferior or superior -> the colour of the right side makes you inferior or superior.

Coridans

Line 6 – achieve -> achieved

Denobulans

Line 6 – preferred -> prefer

Dopterians

Line 9 – Their spacecraft are usually not manned, but instead are simple automatic attack weapons -> Their spacecraft are mainly simple automatic attack weapons.

Dosi

Line 4 – usually are -> are

Edo

Lines 3 and 4 – This humanoid race maintain high penalties of executions for would-be offenders. -> This humanoid race maintains the highest penalty of death, for any would-be offenders.

Elaysians

Line 3 – only a handful have left ventured off-planet -> only a handful have ventured off their home planet,
Line 7 – live -> life

Excalbians

Line 3 – creature -> creatures
Flaxians

Line 3 and 4 – masters in assassinations -> masters of assassination
(End of) Line 4 – assassinations -> assassination
Line 5 – belief -> believe
Line 10 – prefer the peace with other race -> prefer peace with other races

Gorn

Line 4 – races . -> races.

Hirogen

Line 12 – period -> periods

Kazon

Line 9 – spacecrafts -> spacecraft

Kellerun

Line 3 – weapondry -> weaponry

Kreetassans

Line 1 – races -> race
Line 9 – tend to exploring rather than fighting -> prefer to explore, rather than fighting.

Mintakans

Line 16 – thread -> threat

Miradorn

Not sure with this one: Line 5 – born -> killed

The Night Race

Line 8 – number -> numbers

Ocampans

Line 14 – Ocampa -> Ocampan

Orions, The

Line 2 – marked -> market
Line 7 –organisation -> organisations

Pakleds

Line 4 – some -> a

Species 116 (The Arturis Race)

Line 5 – adapt -> adept

Swarm, The

Line 4 – amount -> amounts

Tak Tak

Line 2 – communicate -> communication

Tamarians

Line 1 – Tamarian -> Tamarians
Line 7 – weapondry -> weaponry

Tellarites

Line 10 – turned -> turn

Tholians

Line 3 – and known for their punctuality -> and are known for their punctuality

Trill

Line 8/9/10 - Symbiosis Commission where also will be chosen who will receive the honour of receiving a symbiont – Symbiosis Commission where the selection process for the honour of receiving a symbiont takes place.
Line 12 – trill -> Trill

Vhnori

Line 1 – The Vhnori are peaceful -> The Vhnori are a peaceful
Line 5 – their -> there
Line 7 – in -> at

Xindi

Line 2 – their -> there
Line 11 – when they align against they perceive -> when they align against what they perceive

That's it for page one. I'll do the other pages if you want, just let me know.

21 Jan 2005, 01:31
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Some more descriptions

Valakians
The Valakians are from the planet Valakis. The Valakians suffer from a genetic defect which makes them highly vunerable to certain epidemics. This defect may eventually cause the extinction of their species. They are a pre-warp species, although they have had communications with other races to try to help themselves through this crisis.

Menk
The Menk are a very primitive culture. Their species is very hardy and is endowed with a genome that is highly resistant to epidemics. Although they are primitive, the Menk show great potential for the growth of a civilization.

I declined to put the Menk homeworld in the decription, as it is the same as the Valakians. I think I remember that we were just going to seperate the species into two different systems (not sure though)

Vorgon
The Vorgon are a highly advanced race of semi-humanoids. They have the distinguishing feature of gills where most species have noses. The Vorgon are advanced in the field of stellar reactions. They are rumored to have the ability to time travel. Many of the Vorgon have searched for the Tox Uthat, a quantum phase inhibitor that halts stellar reactions. They Vorgons usually travel in pairs and many have implants secured to the side of their skull.

Wadi
The Wadi are a race of tall humanoids. They have an avid fascination with games and gambling. The Wadi have a low level of warp technology, but have unparalleled holodeck and transporter technology, which they usually incorperate into their recreation. They also posses neurointeractive technology, tricking the mind into thinking it is in a game. The Wadi rarely contact other races, prefering to keep to themselves and their recreation.

Vori
The Vori are a humanoid pre-warp civilization. They have often had conflicts with the Kradin, classifying them as inhuman beasts. They have highly advanced mind control techniques that enables them to bind the emotions of others. They often use this on civilians and off-worlders to recruit them as soldiers for their fight, as they are usually low on their own recruits. They have an intense hatred of the Kradin and are usually indifferent to off-worlders.

Nausicaans
The Nausicaans are a fierce, tall, and aggressive race. They will often attack other species with little provocation. Many of their species are involved in piracy. Their ships are fast, well-shielded, and use plasma cannons as their primary weapons. They dislike alliances with others unless it serves them.

Yridians
The Yridians are humanoids, characterized by their wrinkled skin. They are well-known throughout the galaxy as traders of information and also as couriers in both legal and illegal operation. Their ships are quick and well-shielded, perfect for the kinds of operations they usually run. The Yridians rarely align themselves with other races, prefering to keep official relations neutral.

Inconnu
The Inconnu are a race of humanoids, distinguished by their green skin and scaled cranial ridge. Many of thjeir species are known to act as mercenaries, bodyguards, and run illegal trade operations. Their government usually attempts to keep their relations with other species neutral, although this is not always successful.

Last edited by omniq on 25 Jan 2005, 00:59, edited 3 times in total.

22 Jan 2005, 00:56

Great descriptions OmniQ, keep it up!

Sorry to be annoying iwulff, but were my grammatical changes useful? Do you want me to continue? Give me feedback! :lol:

Sorry, but I spent a while checking it out, and I want to know whether my efforts were of any use! :lol:

22 Jan 2005, 15:41
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yes they are useful i only have to implement them, same goes for the new discriptions. I am quite busy today but will have a entire week free to work on botf2, so i am sure i will update the stuff then. I am also busy with a smaller project namely a flashbased botf2 database. I don't know if it will work out, but i am trying. Thank you for your support guys!

Q: The trial never ended. We never reached a verdict. But now we have. You're guilty. Picard: Guilty of what? Q:Of being inferior.

23 Jan 2005, 15:18
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

i was trying to make a description for both the Tarkaleans and Kantare,but there is little to no information on them. I would suggest removal/replacement of them.

24 Jan 2005, 02:06

Ooh, my mistake :oops: I've just realised that there is no point in checking the gramma of the races, unless they are actually in the chosen races on the first page. (Because the later pages are just the initial versions!)

Iwulff, let me know when you make the changes and add any of the new race descriptions, and i'll grammarise them then :wink: :lol:

24 Jan 2005, 13:40
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Nice work guys, I'll also have a scan through the entries to proof read them. The more finished things seem the better. :wink:

24 Jan 2005, 20:47
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I was thinking something could be added to the Andorians description about having an insectoid ancestry. I cant think of any specific episode that mentions this, but in BOTF, every time you encounter the andorians, part of the lower description reads, "Their distinctive appearence is due to a mixing of mammalian and insectoid traits, resulting in a limited exoskeleton as well as the antennae, which are immediatly obvious." Just a thought.

01 Feb 2005, 07:29
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Gone a week without any comment. Does anyone agree with what I said?

07 Feb 2005, 17:22
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Hey, if that's what they say in BotF, they probably got it from somwhere. Then again, maybe they just made it up, because they didn't know what to say... :roll:

07 Feb 2005, 17:33

To tell you the truth, i'm sure I have heard about the insectoid features before...just not sure where! :roll::lol: Typical me! Memory of a goldfish. Blub...blub...(I'm being a goldfish) :lol:

The insectoid ancestry would explain the antennae though, and besides, it mean they aren't mammals, like most of the humanoid races usually are. :lol:

Has it been decided that there will be no more races now (Unless people mod the game later) I just noticed that there haven't been any more now (Although chances are that's because there are no more - we've got them all!) 8O

07 Feb 2005, 23:38
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol yeah like a bug and a mammal got it on, your mixing traits with ancestry, they mean traits as in commonality, if i had porphyria id have the traits of a vampire, wouldnt mean i was one ^Bleh^ ^^

17 Feb 2005, 01:00

'Hello! Human fly here! C'mon, look at me! I stayed up all night dying my underwear!' :lol: (From the Simpsons)

The thing is michae1ang1o, you already have a strange affinity for bats...I mean, just look at your MSN name...even the bats gather to that! :lol:

Has anyone made any more race descriptions yet? I'll have another go at grammerizzing thems if ya's want it dun. :wink:

27 Feb 2005, 11:02
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Currently, i don't think there are going to be more race descriptions, unless Iwulff adds more races to p.1 (all the race desc. for the races on p.1 are complete, although not all are posted there)

27 Feb 2005, 20:28
Crewman

AMAZING.. simply amazing

umm minor typo in "the orions" but i think matress pointed that out already...

is it sad that i dont remember some of these races ???

are the tholians, breen going to be a growing race ??? a race you can select ?

W/ fire and steel did the gods forge the klingon heart, so fiercely did it beat, so loud was the sound that the gods cried out on this day we have brought forth the strongest heart in all the heavens. None can stand b4 it without trembling at its strength

01 Mar 2005, 21:40
Crewman

just a race idea.. and no i dont know many race names

the race in voyager.. the one that lives on the artificial planet that paris dove into with the delta flyer ?? theres 1...

the race in voyager that kept getting changed by the temperal attacks...

the race in ds9 that lived on a planet that disapeared for 100 years or so...

cylons... no wait...

anyawys.. these dont have to be added.. but i read somwhere for more races 2 be listed

heres a question tho.. the 5 xindi races.. will they be on 1 planet or 5 seperate planets....? will there be an expance in botf2 ??

W/ fire and steel did the gods forge the klingon heart, so fiercely did it beat, so loud was the sound that the gods cried out on this day we have brought forth the strongest heart in all the heavens. None can stand b4 it without trembling at its strength

01 Mar 2005, 22:06
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

About the Xindi, that's a thing we could think out. But it will probally we all 5 on one planet. With the temperal attacks you mean the Krenim?

And the others i don't know at the moment.

01 Mar 2005, 22:20
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

i believe the races your mentioning are the Moneans, the Zahl, and the meridians (zahl and meridians already on list)

01 Mar 2005, 23:12
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Sorry about stepping back in time with this post. This is what happens when you dont check in on the site for awhile. :)
michae1ange1o wrote:
lol yeah like a bug and a mammal got it on, your mixing traits with ancestry, they mean traits as in commonality, if i had porphyria id have the traits of a vampire, wouldnt mean i was one ^Bleh^ ^^

Nobody said a bug and a mammal got it on. :P The fact is , just as it states, that their appearance is due to a mixing of mamallian and insectoid traits, which would only come from the fact that they must have shared an ancestor with those traits. This is Star Trek people, would it really be that hard to believe that during the evolution that took place on Andor, there was a certain species of insect that over time developed certain mamallian, and then primate traits, while retaining some of its ancesteral insectoid traits. It doesnt matter if it didnt work like this on earth, because this isnt earth were talking about. As long as any mamallian/primate trait it acquired was advantageous to its survival, the species would retain it, and pass that onto later generations. Over time you got the Andorians we know and love 'today'.

07 Mar 2005, 18:21

*Warning - Crash-course in DNA alert!*

Evolution is pretty hit-and-miss, just like Rigel explained.

If you look at the fossil record of the Earth, you can see many, many species that lasted for all of a couple of thousand years. Then you find some that were around millions of years ago, and they are still around today! 8O

Crocodiles were one such species, and they've just found the fossil of a 60m year-old rabbit in Mongolia. As long as an advantageous trait results, then the species will survive, and will continue to evolve. As soon as a disadvantageous trait occurs, the creatures that have this trait will become less common, and eventually become extinct, as creatures that are better adapted to the environment out-compete it.

What may be advantageous in one environment, may be disadvantageous in another. You wouldn't expect a Camel to last long at the North Pole! :lol:

Of course, there are some traits that have both advantages and disadvantages. An example of this, would be sickle-cell anaemia in humans. While the sickled blood cells give a massive decrease in the amount of oxygen that can be carried around the body, the sickled cells give an increased resistance to malaria.

This is why the genetic fault that causes sickled cells occurs in roughly 50% of the black African population. (I'm not being racist here, just so you know)

Everyone has two copies of their DNA. (Hmm...there are some freaks out there...99.99% of people have to copies...) :lol: You basically get one copy from your father, and one from your mother (It's more complex than that though)

You can have one copy of a genetic fault, and not have it expressed, if it is a recessive gene. For this to be expressed, you need two copies of the fault, so you have to be careful when you have children.

Sickle-cell anaemia is a co-dominant expression. Basically, half of the blood cells are made from the one copy of DNA, and the rest is made from the other. If you have one copy of the sickled cell fault, you will have half sickled cells, half healthy cells. This means you have better malaria protection, while still being able to breathe easily.

This is the most common form of the fault in Africa. (It is possible to have two copies, in which case, the 'sufferer' usually dies at a young age)

While meaning you can't run so far, and get out of breath easily, you are resistant to Malaria - I think i know what I would prefer to have if I lived in Africa!

As you can see, evolution really is hit-and-miss. This also shows the foresight that Gene Roddenberry had. He realised that a race such as the Andorians was possible. (Of course, it could be argued that he was just having fun, but we refuse to believe this...) :lol:

Last edited by Matress_of_evil on 09 Mar 2005, 12:21, edited 2 times in total.

08 Mar 2005, 15:29
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Matress_of_evil wrote:
...Of course, it could be argued that he was just having fun, but we refuse to believe this...:lol:

Of course! TOS had NO plot-holes! :D
Unlike some spin-offs...

Thanks for the lecture :wink: (0 sarcasam present)

08 Mar 2005, 21:02
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

So more or less, to put it basically, you'd like the description to have the sentence "They come from a mixed insectoid and mammalian ancestory." added in

It all good to me.

19 Mar 2005, 18:32
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

OmniQ wrote:
So more or less, to put it basically, you'd like the description to have the sentence "They come from a mixed insectoid and mammalian ancestory." added in

It all good to me.

Thats all I wanted! :) Well that and the little fact they have four sexes, but since the only place I can concretely remember someone saying that was in a book, I may as well let that one slide. :)

19 Mar 2005, 18:53
Crewman

Hmm, Feels like Ive been away for ages.... anyway, just wanted to say Hi, and that I´m still trying to contribute to this game :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sound guy

20 Mar 2005, 23:14

Ahh...so you're the sound guy...no offense, but I didn't have a clue who you were! :oops:

You haven't posted that often though - that's my defense anyway...:lol:

I spoke to Iwulff for a while on MSN tonight. He is really busy with school work, but he's putting as much time as he can into writing up some of the races. He's gonna put them up once he's done, and then we can get to work with the grammerising and stuff like, init? :wink: :lol:

22 Mar 2005, 23:26
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Rigel wrote:
OmniQ wrote:

It all good to me.

Thats all I wanted! :) Well that and the little fact they have four sexes, but since the only place I can concretely remember someone saying that was in a book, I may as well let that one slide. :)

Andorians only have 2 genders, male and female. The misconception comes from a line in 'TNG-Data's Day', Data states that Andorian marriages "usually consist of groups of 4 people".

This could mean one of the following;

*Actual 4-way marriages take place, (eg 2 males + 2 females, or 1 guy and 3 girls :wink: )
*You marry at the same time as another couple, (eg a friend of family member), this would mean 2 seperate couples, one joint ceremony.
*It could just mean Andorian marriages are less public affairs, a closed off room with a bride, a groom, a priest or whatever, and a witness.

I actually favour the latter.

25 Mar 2005, 19:00
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Now that you mention it, i do remember the episode your talking about SOM.

The only thing I have as a reference about Andorians having more than 2 sexes is from a book dealing with DS9 after the series ends. An Andorian is assigned to the station working ... something in Ops. :) It was during a discussion the Andorian was having with Nog that she (I think the Andorian was a she :lol: ) told Nog that they were a more brutal culture than most in the Federation realized (most didnt know, because she also adds that Andorians are a pretty secretive culture), and that there were four different sexes.

The closest thing we've seen to this in any series (besides SOM's TNG example from above) is from one of the newer episodes of Enterprise, where it is revealed there is another species of Andorian that evolved on Andoria. They were only a few of them compared to the normal population, they were blind, albino, telepathic Andorians, (What a combination :lol: ) and lived in underground caves. But I'm pretty sure that doesnt count as four sexes. :)

25 Mar 2005, 22:27
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

They're called the Aenar, they're just another race of Andorians, in the same way you have white and black Vulcans. There's also another race of Andorians, they showed up a couple of times in TNG, they've got brownish skin, and long thin antennae, they look stupid!

I've actually never read a Trek book, I think one of the reasons is stuff like having 4 genders, based on a throwaway line that implies nothing of the sort, would frustrate the hell out of me. I've watched too much Trek over the years to not notice. :lol:

26 Mar 2005, 00:01

I'm sort of like that. My friends refuse to watch films with me coz I point out every little mistake :oops: :twisted: :lol:

I personally think it's my duty to do so...:twisted:

26 Mar 2005, 00:09
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next