View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Sep 2024, 18:33

Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Fleet movements 
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I think they're great, a worthy "unmodded" shiplist.

I have my own Fed shiplist finalised (after months of internal debate!), no stats yet just all the ships and tech levels. Anyone want a look? Maybe give me some feedback?!

05 Dec 2006, 22:12
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

SonOfMogh wrote:
I have my own Fed shiplist finalised (after months of internal debate!), no stats yet just all the ships and tech levels. Anyone want a look? Maybe give me some feedback?!
Sure, let's see it! :)

05 Dec 2006, 22:37
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

How do I attach a Word doc to a post? Got it saved in a basic table and really needs to be viewed that way

05 Dec 2006, 22:43
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

You'll need to upload the file to a free file hoster, then post a link to the download, SOM.

Savefile.com is a pretty good file hoster, although uploading stuff is a bit slow and slightly prone to glitching when you upload large files.

Just do a Google for Free File Hosting if you want to try some other sites instead.

05 Dec 2006, 22:58
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Cheers mate, it'll be on 1st thing in the morn.

05 Dec 2006, 23:05
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Ok, it's uploaded!

Just a bit of info on this....

*All new ships replace the previous class in the build list, aside from the 3 specified. My justification for this is it keeps the build list looking technologically consistent (no TOS Connies buildable alongside Excelsiors). For anyone who feels they'd like the old class as a cheaper alternative it's really not necessary- New destroyers will cost no more than the old main cruiser, yet will be even more capable in combat. The idea is that you'd only want to maintain a certain number of exploratory cruisers at once. If you're looking for numbers of combat capable vessels, build destroyers.

*I've ordered the types of ships based on their appearance (hull texture, design) and not their registry numbers! The Steamrunner is quite blatantly a small cousin of the Sovereign, not the Ambassador. Similarly, the Akira clearly post dates the Galaxy.

*In relation to the above point, I've attempted to fit ships together that belong in the same family. For example I hate how the Centaur is brand new in Dafedz list, when it's clearly related to the Excelsior.

*There will be refits, but they're not listed.

*Ships will be buildable for a set period of time, largely based on how many we see in canon Trek. Any ship we've not really seen in numbers will have a shorter production period, meaning there will be less of them in your fleet by the late stages of the game.

*Only general tech levels are indicated, for example the Galaxy may be only a couple of tech fields ahead of the Nebula, yet it looks like one whole tech level ahead.

Ok, let me know what you think....

http://savefile.com/files/318242

06 Dec 2006, 05:55
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Not bad...

One thing I don't get is hy everyone seems to be so afraid of having more tan one ship of the same TYPE.
It's not like military forces today don't have X types of tanks or destroyers.
The US Navy alone has several frigates.

You ask yourself- what's hte point? If destroyer1 and destroyer 2 will both become availae and Tech6 and there are very small differences between them?
Only one reason I can think of - diversity.

06 Dec 2006, 13:26
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the feedback Trashman.

I agree with you, and have no issue with having more than one type buildable, hence the Nebula & Akira. I'd have given the Feds more diversity but the other empires have nowhere near as many classes.

There are a few things I'd like advice on if anyone's looking;

1/ Should the Connie refit be buildable? I could bring the Constellation forward slightly and then the refit would exist only as a refit, or do we think new Connies were built in this configuration?

2/ Was the Pegasus supposed to be a new class? Admiral Locke described it as a prototype, it could be a refit for the Oberth.

3/ Can anyone suggest a TNG or earlier Scout? I used the Bradbury name as we know it was a new design and Picard described it as small. I need something to predate the Sabre, but I don't want the Centaur buildable alongside TNG tech vessels.

Cheers all

06 Dec 2006, 21:30
Commander
Commander

Mogh, I would love to hep you out but I am not able to see your ships for some strange reason. very odd.

07 Dec 2006, 11:54
Profile YIM
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks mate, what happens when you try?

07 Dec 2006, 21:31
Commander
Commander

SonOfMogh wrote:
Thanks mate, what happens when you try?

The page loads, then stops. Nice and white. all blank. I hit refresh, same thing. shut down, emptied all my temp files. cookies.. same thing.

Argggggggggg! lol

08 Dec 2006, 07:38
Profile YIM
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it over. :wink:

08 Dec 2006, 23:37

Odd...i've checked and I don't get any problems. :?

It downloaded fine. The only problem I could see was the table was shifted to the left, but thats easily solved by setting the page to a landscape view.

I wonder what the problem is...? Anyone else have any problems? I've used savefile myself without any problems like this.

09 Dec 2006, 19:25
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

IT could be that cause I have IE 7, if that is the problem? After Mogh e-mailed it to me I had no problem opening it.

10 Dec 2006, 04:48
Profile YIM

Might be. I'm using IE6 coz I don't like tabbed browsing. :lol:

10 Dec 2006, 17:54
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

Well, I had no choice. IT autoloaded onto mine when my wife was using the computer. I'm not going to take it out now. *S*

MS Will just have to Correct it pronto! And if they don't well I got a fleet full of torpedoes just itching to be released! Muhahahahaha! :twisted:

10 Dec 2006, 18:01
Profile YIM
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Matress_of_evil wrote:
Um, you do realize that you're not required to used tabbed browsing just because the browser supports it, right? Considering Firefox has always supported tabbed browsing, your rationale is completely nonsensical. You can also disabled tab support in IE7.

IE7 > Firefox

11 Dec 2006, 00:28
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

All I can say is I do not tab browse. Anyhow this is off topic. Onward and upward! What else do we have? I mean Mogh gave us a really cool shiplist for the Federation, but is there any for the Dominion, Cardiassions, Romulans ect? something we could take a peek at?

11 Dec 2006, 05:43
Profile YIM
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Winterhawk7 wrote:
All I can say is I do not tab browse. Anyhow this is off topic. Onward and upward! What else do we have? I mean Mogh gave us a really cool shiplist for the Federation, but is there any for the Dominion, Cardiassions, Romulans ect? something we could take a peek at?

I'm pleased you liked my shiplist Hawk, but is just an idea for a mod to make it (IMO) more realistic.

The actual database which Mike is working from for many aspects of the game is here... http://www.trekmania.net/temp_files/botf2_home.htm

The shiplists for all races are completed and stat balanced, enjoy![/url]

11 Dec 2006, 06:49
Commander
Commander

Ahh yes, I have not been there for a while now. excellent list! Can't wait for them to be built!

So as far as this thread is concerned is there anymore that needs to be said about fleet movements? Or perhaps we should move on to other things.. Just wondering.

11 Dec 2006, 07:12
Profile YIM
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

SonOfMogh wrote:
Winterhawk7 wrote:

I'm pleased you liked my shiplist Hawk, but is just an idea for a mod to make it (IMO) more realistic.

The actual database which Mike is working from for many aspects of the game is here... http://www.trekmania.net/temp_files/botf2_home.htm

The shiplists for all races are completed and stat balanced, enjoy![/url]

As far as I know, Mike is using the existing database as a basis since there is little else to use. However, if you have some things set up that do indeed make the game more realistic overall, there is little point in not using it. The game is still an infant and is currently using old BotF ships. I haven't taken a look at your shiplist, admitingly, but I'm not really huge on knowing Trek canon details like others.

But, as far as the stock game goes, I want it to be as realistic as possible without sacraficing gameplay value.

11 Dec 2006, 15:19
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Dafedz shiplist is balanced between the various races, it makes much more sense than anyone else's in terms of fairness for multiplayer games.

11 Dec 2006, 22:27
Commander
Commander

**Going off topic a moment** SOM, I saw the Ep where you got your tag line today. { what a BEAUTIFUL sight see that bird come swooping down and taking out those Jem Hadir basturds!!} Brought a tear to my eye!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What other types of shiplists could we have? a whole new design for every major and minor?? Thinking about that is a bit overwhelming..

12 Dec 2006, 06:34
Profile YIM
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Question kind of related to the topic......

Just finished watching a DS9 episode and they mentioned having to travel and a lsower warp when the ship is under cloak in order to avoid detection.

Should something like this be implemented or is it just a little to finnicky..?

It can either be Harsh, ie only travel 3/4 speed under cloak, or not so harsh and have a higher chance of detection when travelling at maximum speed but still able to cloak.

Regards Wolfe

18 Dec 2006, 04:04
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

There's really only two speeds for each ship: go and stop. I'm not sure what you can do about this other than to possibly reduce the overall movement speed of cloaked ships. This would essentially mean that a two ships that are identical in every way except one, that is capable of cloaking, would likely be slower than the one without cloak (which would make sense). But this would relate to ship stat balance.

If you do try to reduce movement speed by say, 3/4's movement, what do you do about ships that move 2 or 3 squares a turn?

Playing as the Romulans in BotF1, there was no point in not being cloaked unless you were going to attack a system next turn. So... I'd probably expect all cloak-capable ships of being slightly slower than it's technological counterparts in general.

18 Dec 2006, 16:00

mstrobel wrote:
Matress_of_evil wrote:
Um, you do realize that you're not required to used tabbed browsing just because the browser supports it, right? Considering Firefox has always supported tabbed browsing, your rationale is completely nonsensical. You can also disabled tab support in IE7.

IE7 > Firefox

I don't like Firefox either! :roll: :lol:

Half the point of IE7's new interface is to maximise the viewable area of the screen for users - tabbed browsing takes up half of that space though! The buttons for it are huge! The only extra stuff other than the File, Edit, and so on toolbar that you need is the Google toolbar!

And what's this about being able to turn tabbed browsing off? My computer in work has IE7 and i've gone through all the options and have been unable to find such an option. :(

In TNG, it's mentioned <somewhere> that Warbirds (D'Deridex's) are slower than the Enterprise.

If this is the case, then giving the Romulans slower ships would have a canon basis, and we could say that the reason for it is due to the detection whilst cloaked problem - chances are their Cloak will be engaged no matter what.

We also know the Romulans didn't natively achieve Warp - they got the technology from the Klingons in exchange for Cloaking devices. This would imply that they are either technologically inferior to the other races when it comes to Propulsion tech (And thereby making their Propulsion bonus in BOTF meaningless) or they were unable to overcome the power issue of running a Cloak and the Impulse engines at the same time.

If people are worried about balance issues, their stats could always be adjusted to compensate. We could slightly increase their intercept stat, for instance. They have spies everywhere and are paranoid about potential invaders and threats afterall. They would have ships that were specifically designed for such a task.

18 Dec 2006, 19:01
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Matress_of_evil wrote:

We also know the Romulans didn't natively achieve Warp - they got the technology from the Klingons in exchange for Cloaking devices.

I find this highly unlikely, given the very first appearance of the Romulans had them travelling across the Federation border attacking multiple outposts.

I bet the writer of "Balance Of Terror" is slightly regretting putting a slightly ambiguous offhand comment about "impulse power" in the episode. :lol:

18 Dec 2006, 21:00
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

about the IE-Firefox thing: you can say what you want but every single version of Opera since it's 6 years old 5.12 version is better than any other browser including firefox. It's simple, clean, secure and with 4-5 clicks you get it as compatible as IE.

I don't make much advertising for that matter but I think opera is worth doin it.

18 Dec 2006, 21:20
Profile WWW
Supreme Architect
Supreme Architect

No its impossible that the Romulans lacked some sort of faster than light propulsion in TOS. Besides, isn't it clear in Enterprise that they have warp?

Anyway:

Quote:
If people are worried about balance issues, their stats could always be adjusted to compensate

It didn't pass me by. Whereas it would be difficult to implement the Romulans, and only them, having lower warp speeds than everyone else, it made sense instead to give them the weakest/lowest manoevrability rating in the game (for Combat).

18 Dec 2006, 21:51
Profile WWW

I actually missed all the Enterprise eps with the Romulans. :evil:

Quote:
Posted by SOM
I bet the writer of "Balance Of Terror" is slightly regretting putting a slightly ambiguous offhand comment about "impulse power" in the episode.

He/she probably did...just like the "Lithium Crystals" comment in the first eps... :lol:

Quote:
Posted by Dafedz
Anyway:

Quote:
Posted by Matress_of_evil
If people are worried about balance issues, their stats could always be adjusted to compensate

It didn't pass me by. Whereas it would be difficult to implement the Romulans, and only them, having lower warp speeds than everyone else, it made sense instead to give them the weakest/lowest manoevrability rating in the game (for Combat).

Glad someone was thinking of this! Have you thought about weapons coverage/firing arcs though? In fact, we'd better figure out if the battle engine will be able to support this...

18 Dec 2006, 23:41
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next