View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 04 May 2024, 00:18

Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Diplomacy options 
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

I don't see how that would work out logistically. I think it'd be more straightforward to just ask other races to terminate their trade treaties with the race in question.

10 Nov 2006, 20:14
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

mstrobel wrote:
I don't see how that would work out logistically. I think it'd be more straightforward to just ask other races to terminate their trade treaties with the race in question.

It might not.. i was just tossing out an idea.. lol

10 Nov 2006, 20:16
Profile YIM
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

I just mean that it hardly makes sense that you could negatively impact another civilization's economy on your own. It would have to be some sort of coordinated effort, or you would have to back it up somehow. The former would require some sort of agreement with one or more third parties, and the latter would involve physically blockading systems with a fleet of ships. I tend to think the latter option would be more fun. We could have a "Blockade" order similar to the "Raid" order. Instead of stealing credits, blockading could prevent a colony from contributing any locally produced resources to its owner civilization's global stockpiles. That's a discussion for another thread, though. Maybe someone should start a "Fleet Orders" thread to discuss cool things to do with your fleets (hint, hint ;)).

10 Nov 2006, 20:56
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Trade embargoes work in Civ because the things that are traded are actual resources. IE: horses, gems, spices, bronze, iron, tin, etc. Each of those resources have a positive impact on your civilization other than just giving you more money. They sometimes allow you to build units you couldn't previously, or increase your happiness/health in your cities, etc.

Trade in BotF is simply more credits. You might also be able to trade deuterium or something, but again, that stuff is all bankable. Not to mention that if you stop the trade, both sides are hurt equally in BotF. The trade system is an entirely different animal in BotF than it is in Civ. Thus, there is little point to embargoes as there is nothing vital to prevent people from getting. Every empire will get credits. Every empire will get fuel.

But in Civ, not every empire will get horses. Not everyone would get iron (or plutonium :) ) so I don't see how an embargo concept would work in BotF.

Also, I believe the raid order essentially established a blockade. And the % chance of the raid order "succeeding" was essentially the percent chance of stealing some of the trade instead of simply stopping it. I could be wrong, though.

13 Nov 2006, 15:41
Crewman

mstrobel wrote:
Obviously, you won't "know" if the computer player is going to attack. I plan on providing some features like risk analysis and threat assessment. The player should be able to see some sort of list of both positive and negative factors that are affecting their relationships, as well as "observations" that the player should be aware of. Something like this:
Code:
(+) You have a long-standing trade treaty.

(-) You recently signed a treaty with their enemy.
(-) Recent intelligence operations behind their borders have failed, and they are likely suspicious of our activities.

(*) This race's military presence along our borders has increased signifiantly during the last few turns.
A report like this would indicate that a once fruitful relationship has taken a turn for the worse, and clues the player in to the same information that the AI is using to make its decisions. The player isn't explicitly told that the other civilization will attack (it may, it may not), but the player should be prepared for the possibility.

That's a lot like Civ 4. Some extra things that should be considered in diplomacy are.

- How many planets you've taken/lost from/to the other player.
- How long conflict has existed.
- Proximity of borders.
- Intelligence actions undertaken between parties (sabotage, espionage).

If i caught my allies attacking me with intelligence, i want the diplomatic option of telling them to piss off or fight.

The one thing that pissed me off about BOTF 1 is that as any race, i could wipe out an empire down to a few systems and demand a peace treaty 'cause i'm sick of fighting and they say something like "This isn't an enticing enough offer", compared to what? Me taking their last worlds?

20 Dec 2006, 09:23
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

There was a suggestion in another thread for the idea of trading research between two societies. I figured returning it to this thread would be the best option. Here's what's been said thus far...

For completion, I've included *everything* stated on the subject in the other thread, so this post is painfully long. You probably don't need to read anything but the last three quotes.Still it's all here if you want to read all of it.

Quote:
Posted by mart7x5:
How about an option to share research between empires? Maybe it is already implemented, but this is what I greatly lacked in BOTF I. So some new options might be:

- Research agreements between empires - each would get every turn some additional points due to cooperation. Level of cooperation might be differentiated. More ideas would be good here

- Stealing research points from particular areas - and exactly that. not an event: "We lost x points, coz someone sabotaged us. Really, when playing as Feds: Romulan spy acquired recent energy research report. And e.g. 500 points added to Romulan accumulated points in their energy research

- Research sabotage - it actually is in BOTF I now. Might be in BOTF 2 more specific even

- Special spy mission. Might be expensive, but large gain. For example, some empire steals the whole advance, then it gets immediately currently researched level in that field. For this, it might be good to have specific spy ships or troops on the map. Kinda like in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Spying has its flavour there.

- Donating research points, or even whole technologies to other empires. Selling technologies.

I think this stuff regarding research points might bring new strategy elements to the game. Cooperation between empires would then have additional element when a player would consider it beneficial for one more reason.

Quote:
Posted by Matress_of_evil:
The research agreements is an idea that I think would really well, especially for the Federation and Romulans. It would also work well with the Cardassians and Dominion, but to a lesser extent.

I'm not sure if the Klingons would do this or not though. There was the supposed Warp tech and Starship hulls for Cloaking devicees and tech trade between the Klingons and Romulans, but this wasn't a joint research venture.

If this was to be in, I think SOM would need to say his piece on how it would affect them. (Eg. They can't do it, or they don't do it well, or they are ok at research ventures, or they are good at it, or they are the best at it)

For the stealing GRP, the game is gonna be more intelligent, so it won't be shown as bad as you seem to think it was. It's definitely a possibility to have it as a specific option, or to have it as a random event. Either way, this will need a leeetle more discussion. Wink

Anyway, this ties in with sabotage. As far as I know, the intel stuff hasn't been finalised, so we can't make any solid decisions on such things yet.

Special spy missions...well this could be a random event (As in BOTF when you are doing particularly well) or a specific part of your intelligence operations. Decisions, decisions...again, we can't make them til intel is complete though... Sad

Donations of tech would need to be handled carefully. The Federation wouldn't want to do it coz of the Prime Directive, the Romulans just wouldn't do it, the Klingons wouldn't bother unless they got something they really wanted out of it...It would need some fine balancing (Again, coz the game is gonna be more intelligent. If you could simply give all you tech away, the authenticity and feel of the game would be ruined) Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
Posted by CVN-65:
Well, the Romulans did an exchange with the Klingons which is very similar, and where was the PD when Picard went to that Klingon tea-party and played Arbiter of Succession with them?

Besides, if you're giving technology to a warp cappable race, the PD shouldn't apply anyway.

Quote:
Posted by Trashman:
The question is - should different races get different bonuses from cresearch sharing?

A race that is weaker in reaserch would learn more from a advanced race than vice-versa, right?

Quote:
But if they are bad at researching, how are they gonna be able to easily understand tech that is far beyond their capability? It sounds more like a disaster waiting to happen if you ask me.

You just have to think of races like the Pakled or the decimated one from Voyager that got Matter/Anti-matter tech from the Probe that Earth sent out into Space when it was still learning about Warp tech.

There is a reason for the Prime Directive afterall!

Being able to improve your relations with other races by gifting technology would certainly be good addition to the game though. I think if it was to be implemented, it should only be posible between races that are Allied/Affiliated. You wouldn't give tech to an enemy, afterall...well, unless you had suicidal tendencies... Shocked Laughing

Perhaps a system where races that are 'normally' opposed to each other would receive greater benefits if tech was traded?

Learning from a traditional enemy would be a great boost to your research efforts, particularly if they are well ahead of you.

If such a system were to be in, it would then need to be balanced carefully, depending on map type.

The canon map would be the easiest, because things would be fairly static. Federation fights Klingons, Federation allies Klingons, and so on.

In the random map though, the game would need to recognise past war and treaties, to be able to work out which races are 'traditional' races.

I know, you guys probably think i'm rambling now, but I think this would be the best way of implementation. With only 6 weeks til the game's release though, I doubt it will be in, but it's a nice thought...

Quote:
Posted by mart7x5:
I think, that in original BOTF no possibility for trade of technologies takes away a lot of playability.

Prime Directive - as you CVN - 65 point, if you trade with a warp capable race, PD does not apply. And Federation might consider close cooperation in cases when for example Borg threatens some other Empire. On one side you can think of military help, but giving a technology is also very efficient. Would it unbalance the game? I would say the game would have more depth. Some additional aspects might be included, like each tech would have also for each civilization the understanding factor. E.g. understanding 100% would give the best benefits from a some technology, little "side effects" (side effects - new idea?). Then a tech could be traded only to other Empires when understanding would be 100%.

Then what would be the difference between:
- understanding 90% and having the tech
- and having 90% researched tech without having that tech yet?
The first might give technology benefits, but for example price of components might be higher. 90% understanding would slightly increase price, but 50% understanding would seriously increase the price. So when you plan to donate some high technology to some empire much lower in the tech tree, they could only receive it with low understanding. They would with time improve it.

Just some idea.

Romulans not willing to trade or donate technologies? There might be cases. Romulans might give some e.g. spying technology to some empire when that empire might aid them against common enemy. Such options might be programmed. The Romulan AI would be conditioned appropriately to their philosophy and would judge when to give a technology and when not.

Quote:
Posted by CVN-65:
Ok, 1st off, sure you have idiots like the Pakled who were FORCED (bascialy) into space, and would (just like the Uxali) hate the race that sent them that technology.

But, on the other side, think of United Earth in the 2150s. Some Humans hated Vulcans for denying them Warp 5 technology, while Humans were responsible enough for the techology (they proved it in Enterprise).
If the Vulcans had given the Humans the necessary technology, maybe the Federation would have been created even sooner...

Not saying anything about ideas and concepts, just wanted to state two examples of technology trading Wink

(Two years go by...)

Quote:
Posted by ZDarby:
An idea was proposed about sharing between technology between civilizations. I don't know if this was discussed more completely elsewhere but it certainly wasn't given a chance in this thread.

Perhaps it's a bad idea to pick this topic back up, the deplomicy part of supremecy so close to actually being dealt with, and all. Still, if not now, then when?

Quote:
On the sharing of technology aspect, this is actually a REALLY good time to bring it up - to my knowledge, Mike is either just about to start implementing a better diplomacy system, or already has. Discussing this system before the diplomacy stystem is complete would mean massive overhauls and changes wouldn't be needed later.

This particular idea may need its own thread though. I'm sure it would likely branch out with a multitude of other ideas andresult in an intense discussion. As you said, this may then not be the place for this particular discussion.

Quote:
Posted by mstrobel:
Because we're using a fairly small tech matrix and not a large tech tree, I don't like the idea of outright trading of technologies. However, I would not be opposed to a type of joint research treaty that would affect the total number of RPs generated for the empires involved.

Quote:
Posted by ZDarby
Yes. That makes sense to me: another type of treaty to trade research. Obviously, this would be blocked if two societies were at war. But what if there was just animosity? Would you need to be freinds first? Allies? Allies in a war? ... Certainly the latter! I doubt it would be automatic if allied in war... indeed, you'd want to be very careful what information you traded in all circumstances... Would putting percentages on RP trade for each subject be too hard to implement?

Perhaps another thread... AHAH! "Deplomacy options"!

10 Apr 2007, 02:41
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I had included some discussion in my latest response to the tech-tree thread and realized that I was going to derail the conversation pretty hard. So... I cut it out to include here. And now....

It sounds like the allied joint-technology research idea is pretty much decided on (I like it). Any thoughts on what diplomacy level is required to gain the bonus? Allied probably?

This is a slight derailment from the tech tree discussion, but I stumbled across a word document that I had written last year concerning diplomacy options which is related to the whole research-sharing idea. I'm pretty sure I posted it (I'd have to find it) somewhere in the Supremacy boards... but it essentially suggested that allied powers would probably confer some passive bonuses to their allied empires that correspond to their empire's strengths. For example, if the Federation and Klingons were to become allies in a game, they would be more inclined to work together on all fronts, rather than simply agreeing to shoot at each other's enemies.

This would include strengthening the Klingon's internal security (which the Feds are decent in compared to the ridgeheads) and boosting their research ability (another Fed strength). The Klingons would then pass along some sort of passive combat ability (probably in the rate ship experience is gained) and whatever else they excel it. Also, I would assume that the two empires also gain very slight bonuses in their "specialized" fields. For example, a random Klingon suggestion could very well be the key to a technological advancement that the Federation was missing. So while the Feds are clearly stronger in research and have a noticeable effect on Klingon research, the Klingons in turn would offer a slight bonus to Federation research as well. Two heads are better than one, after all... even if one was evolved to excel at headbutting. Yeah, i'm ragging on Skeeter :p

Anyways, Klingons aside, this part of the conversation would be better warranted in a diplomacy-only thread, mainly because it would have to consider research as well as construction, credits, resources, experience, growth, diplomacy, internal security, sabotage, espionage, and just about any other major gameplay area. Not every area is feasible, but it's a thought and should at least be considered. As for how strong of a bonus... well... that's a whole new discussion and could become somewhat complicated. I suggest that anything diplomacy related is shipped off to a seperate thread since, at the moment, the main research-related thing it will do is essentially grant a research bonus.

There might not be a whole lot of canon resources to justify this (I wouldn't really know), but I would argue it should still be included regardless. For starters, other games have made this leap including SFC3 which included Unity Station. Secondly, there is precedent in current political climates that allies sometimes contribute in joint research ventures and I would find it foolish that two super-powers who are closely allied like bread and butter would not want to work together to further benefit themselves and their alliance.

Supremacy would have a stripped-down simplistic take on it: a passive research bonus. Would it be the most accurate solution? Of course not. But it'd be easy to impliment and easy to understand concept-wise. The devil is in the details of course....

Also, as I mentioned above, I would like to see this same concept spread across as many other gameplay areas as possible. When you are allied, you promise to watch each other's back. So, internal security, training, trade, and whatever else would involve both sides to some degree which, again, benefits the alliance as a whole. And there is at least one canon reference I know of that points this out... primarily in the TNG episode that involved Data taking command of a ship that was part of the cloak-detection net to flesh out Romulan aid to the Duras family (you guys should know which episode that is :P )

10 Apr 2007, 19:47
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't see any faults in this... Am I missing something? ;)

If you are at war, you automatically have *some* tech sharing. Yes. I agree wholly. Now, if we're all in agreement, we move on to *how much* bonus.

But can two societies *choose* to share their research without having a common enemy? Or without one society subsuming the other? (eg, becoming a member state?) If so, how much sharing can be allowed? And according to what criteria.

On this subject, I can be little but a cheer-leader: I have too little knowledge to venture an opinion.

Rah! Rah! Sis, Boom Bah! Go team!

13 Apr 2007, 12:55
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Two empires who are allied would not necessarily need to be at war with a third force in order to reap some benefit. Two empires who are working closely would likely work closely regardless of what is going on.

I also want to be clear: war pacts are not alliances. Thus... no bonuses.

As for "how much?" Well... that is going to depend on a lot of things. For starters, each empire you ally with should probably grant differing amounts of bonuses. For example... if I am the Klingons and I ally with the Feds in one game, the research help I'd get would be pretty substantial compared to say... allying with the Cardasians in game 2.

There's a couple ways we could impliment this:

1) We could hard-code (well, XML it at least) some sort of bonus modifier to each race that is based on their canon-related strengths and weaknesses. This is probably the easiest to impliment, and it makes sense in terms of Trek accuracy canon-wise.

2) We could have the program determine the relative abilities of each empire in the alliance at every turn (or every so many turns). The program would then determine an appropriate bonus to apply to the empires in the alliance. This would be more difficult to impliment. However, this would allow a research-minded Klingon empire to confer a substantial research bonus to an intel-focused Federation ally (and vice-versa.)

Both have their pros and cons. While the Federation is more inclined to excel at research, a player might not want to and, instead, decide to be a war-mongering, sabotaging force in the universe (and would probably have very experienced crews). So... should this type of empire confer a research bonus or some sort of ship-experience or intel bonus (or something similiar)?

This would probably also require some input from Mike. Option 2 could be somewhat problematic, depending on how the game is set up behind the scenes.

13 Apr 2007, 15:13
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good points... Would a (relatively) simplified fuzzy-logic system work? Using a simple slope-up, slope-down pattern? ... Where each research subject has a spike whose hight is dependent on current expenditures of both races -- militarily, research, espionage, or lots of treaties, etc -- and whose slope is dependent on the attitude of the two races. This would give a "spectra", if you will, of cooperation between two races.

I'm not sure if this makes much sense...

15 Apr 2007, 16:36
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

You could even have varying shapes depending on the races allied, would make for an interesting game, a co-evolving fuzzy-logic system would also make each game unique in some way depending on the history and evolution of an AI race.

15 Apr 2007, 19:16
Crewman

what about occupation? it would be great if a conquered player might still be able to come back in the game to free his empire from another just like in the dominion war when the cardassian turned on the dominion, i dont know how it could work,but some nation would have advantage on occupyin like Dominion and cardassian would be better then fed for occupation.

just an idea :oops:

26 Sep 2007, 20:04
Ensign
Ensign

I had an idea which might simplify some of the research cooperatives. What about doing something simple like implementing a diplomatic option to host a research conference, which you could then invite other major and minor races to? Start out with a baseline research bonus the conference will generate maybe looking like

Research points = (((Host Research proficiency x Initial credits invested) x host tech level x # of participants) / (tech level of most advanced - tech level of least advanced)) / # of participants

You could make it more complicated by adding species weights in different places (Federation maybe puts a 1.4 modifier on the numerator while the Klingons hosting would be a 1.4 modifier on the divisor), or making the formula more complicated by breaking out # of participants into multiple variables for each participant with a weight on that. If you wanted to do this, I'd say the invitees should have to commit resources to join, and turn the bonus they add into a function of how much they pay--i.e.

Federation hosts a conference. They pay 1,000 credits and invite others to join by paying 100 credits each, which the Bolians, Romulans, Bajorans, and Caldonians agree to. The research points generated for a participant would be:

(((.3x1,000) x 4 x ((100x.01)+(100x.2)+(100x.05)+(100x.1)) / (4-2)) / 5

The formula might need some tweaking to balance it out nicely, but it's a start. I'd also recommend that the time it takes to complete the conference (hence when the bonus arrives) should be a function of how much is invested and how many participants there are. For my own sanity (unless a mathematician wants to figure this out), a standard format could be used so that 100-1,000 invested takes 2-4 turns; 1,001-10,000 takes 5-14 turns; 10,001-200,00 takes 12-20 turns; etc., although maybe with different ranges depending on the balance issue.

This way, a host could gain research and "prestige" (improvement in relations to those who accept your invitation and maybe even a larger galactic benefit to remove "bad guy points" from declaring wars or sabotage). Conferences could be general (biomedical conference) or aimed at a specific technology akin to Birth of the Empires' special projects. It would also be cool to have specific technologies which could only be gained through research conferences (akin to Birth of the Empires' special projects), maybe even race specific technologies, but these would add a new level of complexity to what I'm trying to propose as a simple idea.

The concept of research collaborations just made me think of all those conferences characters are either heading to or coming from, so it seemed like a logical extension.

26 Sep 2007, 23:27
Crewman

it would be pretty cool if you could include ambassador,and maybey also embassy on other ppl planet allowing you new option that would be pretty cool

ambassador would have to transported by a ship to a certain place and many thing could happen such as another race interference or sabotage

ambassy could be built on another race homeworld having them there could have many effect

28 Sep 2007, 03:02
Crewman

I like the ideas of embargos, this could be useful in regards to offsetting war. We use embargos in our world, why not in a trek universe? Say a minor is dealing with you for many turns have good standing with each other. Next thing you know they break off contact with you and are trading with another empire. Options are what?

go to war - I think not

embargo them from log term economically harming you - makes sense to me.

Make empty demands and try to bribe.

I would like to see embargo as an option same with raid, raid and embargo being in the same family one being more defensive in nature as opposed to offensive. Can someone say Cuba USA and USSR a good example just imagine in space. Possibly run random numbers what the probability of the blocading working depending on the number and types of ships. Could be fun. Just offering up ideas...

03 Oct 2007, 23:04
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Quote:
Posted by Ritter
It would also be cool to have specific technologies which could only be gained through research conferences (akin to Birth of the Empires' special projects), maybe even race specific technologies, but these would add a new level of complexity to what I'm trying to propose as a simple idea.

It's interesting that you should say this, because a looong time ago, we were discussing the possibility of a having a technological weapon vs defense war, in relation to cloaking devices and sensors.

I'm not sure everyone would like the idea of unique technologies - but every race would logically have their own abilities, ethics, and laws, so there would be differences in techs. We also know that some races can't develop certain technologies - the Federation can't develop cloaking devices thanks to the treaty of Algeron, and they also couldn't copy So'na metaphasic radiation collection technology in Star Trek: Insurrection, but that was purely because the technology was simply too 'alien'.

For these reasons, I think it would be a good idea of having unique technologies. We would have to consider what these technologies would be, what they would do, and balance them though.

Still, that's all in the future - and is up to Mike whether they're included or not. It would require a complete rethink of the tech system, which means more work for him and a later release date.

I always thought diplomacy was severely limited in BOTF. To my knowledge, Mike hasn't yet got around to doing the Diplomacy, regardless of my quote in ZDarby's post. There's definitely plenty of time to dicuss this, and if enough people like the idea, he would definitely consider implementing it. The economy system will definitely be more important this time around, because you will need to support much larger fleets to maintain larger Empires.

An embargo system would add more strategy, and make the economy a much more important aspect of the game. BOTF2 is supposed to be an improvement over BOTF, and as diplomacy was somewhat lacking, I would definitely like to see this particular improvement. :)

03 Oct 2007, 23:33
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Civ 4 has an interesting unit called the Privateer in the game, which essentailly allows you to put an embargo on a city or attack resources, but because the ship flys under no flag it is impossible to know what nation is attacking you.

Might be one idea to consider.

Regards Wolfe

04 Oct 2007, 00:34
Crewman

anybody played Galactic Civilisation? its pretty much like botf and there is some pretty cool featur in the game that maded the game better then botf like diplomatic option,in the game you could trade technology and at some point all race had to site into some Major race conveference and vote for laws the most powerfull race usualy had more importance in the vote and when you were mad at the result you could just leave the congress and not obey any of these law anybody heard about that game?

the only reason i prefer botf is because its about star trek :lol:

26 Oct 2007, 07:31
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

cange, that's the moo3-senate idea sir p. intends to implement in later releases ;)

didn't know about that also in galciv. the game severely sucks in my opinion cause it offers no multiplayer. the heck, what's the reason for that? one can provide a challenging AI and allow for multiplayer. we just proved that! ;)

26 Oct 2007, 07:47
Profile WWW
Crewman

i agree that it sux for the multiplayer thing but you must admit that the game is very detailled,if you could make a star trek game that would have soo much detail it would be pretty awsome if you ask me,there was soo much thing i would love to see

example random event in GC would allow you to react and depending on your answer different thing would happen

***example:you colonised a system but your ppl just found out that inferior race were living there so it give you a choice and each of your choice have a different ending

you could choose to raze that inferior poplation however your ppl would think your empire is evil but it would allow your ppl to have more space for themself

share the planet with them,move them to another colony,turn them into slave and ect...

now imagine that scenario in star trek,fed would not be allow to raze the population of that planet however klingon would be able to turn them into slave.

26 Oct 2007, 07:56
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

huge stuff agreed ;)

maybe you can make a list of all these nice things in a new thread (exactly those random events are the very next thing on our to-do-list for alpha5), so we don't forget any of them. I don't have the game anymore (threw it away ;)) so you're to be the man here if you want :).

26 Oct 2007, 07:59
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

I'm presently playing Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords, and Space Empires V. The feature Cange is referring to is a galactic forum, convened every 25 years to decide matters of galactic law, called the United Planets. Decisions meted out in the forum constitute galactic law and remain in force for a short period of time, or indefinitely. Population, influence and economic power all impact the number of votes the player can cast. I'm with Malvoisin. Frankly, the game is little more than eye candy. It's sole selling point is the shipyards, where the player can design ships from scratch. Weak on diplomacy and intelligence management, those features are next to worthless in either of the GalCiv games. A major strength of GalCiv is the AI, which is difficult to beat, even at moderate settings.

Space Empires V, while buggy, is a vastly superior game, in every sense.

(Screen grab: The USS Voyager banks into a torpedo salvo from the JIN K'oo'vak, which impacts her shields. The shields on the K'oo'vak collapsed, and Starfleet Marines have boarded the ship and have begun to seize the ship.)

http://www.cinergisolutions.com/seV/grab2.jpg

19 Jan 2008, 15:21
Profile ICQ
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

in the end I hope our two games here to be the supreme ones of all the two ;), especially with the new content which ironically is provided by a well-known SE V Modder named Atrocities :twisted: .

but well it's still a long way to that end. But I'm sure, thx to wolfe, the tactical combat will surely look a lot nicer than that in the picture ;) plus your eye-candy UIs Razor, nothing can beat us (there lacks an emoticon for complete madness.. :lol:)

19 Jan 2008, 15:31
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
vjeko1701, Captain Bashir and I are working on some backdrops for Diplomacy. This is a model used as a starting point to make the image. It is going to be the Romulan Capital but seen from out over the sea looking back inland.
Attachment:
Rom Sen small.png
Rom Sen small.png [ 96.27 KiB | Viewed 16133 times ]

15 Dec 2009, 03:12
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
Am I supposed to work with the existing image or start a new one along the same lines? I have 8 new PMs to look at so the answer might be there.
CB

15 Dec 2009, 04:10
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

It would be best if you take a look at the Tal Shiar. Work with the concept art.
:borg:

15 Dec 2009, 13:51
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Senate looks awesome guys :bigthumb: I wish i could help but i'm out of spare time, god i have no time even to read posts. I'm glad to see that we have talented new-members like captain and vjeko. Senete is great Kenny just add few polys to central circle for smoother appearance, see is nice though darker color and lower reflection value would improve it imo.

15 Dec 2009, 16:14
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Ok, here is an updated model render of the Romulan Senate, Capital
Complex. The camera has been pulled in closer and the monuments packed in.
This gives some more density to the grounds. The question is can you add things like steps
to the stairs, pedestrian paths, bushes,
people, windows on the upper level of the senate building as seen in the
Nemesis images and anything else you can think of? Also in the blue
background there should be a city skyline. Behind the buildings are the
mountains and in the sky Remus and maybe a small moon.

Attachments:
Rom Sen small.png
Rom Sen small.png [ 47.1 KiB | Viewed 16092 times ]
Rom Sen D.png
Rom Sen D.png [ 765.36 KiB | Viewed 16092 times ]

21 Dec 2009, 02:03
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

Two versions, dawn and day.

Attachments:
Rom Sen Dawn.jpg
Rom Sen Dawn.jpg [ 182.97 KiB | Viewed 16079 times ]
Rom Sen Day.jpg
Rom Sen Day.jpg [ 178.71 KiB | Viewed 16079 times ]

21 Dec 2009, 15:12
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I favor Dawn myself. That is unless it make the city skyline and the other detail harder to do.

21 Dec 2009, 23:50
Reply to topic   [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next