View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 04 May 2024, 06:09

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) 
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

STAR TREK: SUPREMACY - FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

What is Star Trek: Supremacy?
Star Trek: Supremacy is the working title of Mike Strobel's project to create a sequel to the Microprose game Star Trek: Birth of the Federation. Despite its use of the Star Trek name, Star Trek: Supremacy is an unofficial project and is not affiliated with or endorsed by Paramount or any of its subsidiaries. Star Trek: Supremacy is a free, fan-based creation, and will not be sold for profit under any circumstances.

How is Star Trek: Supremacy related to Jigalypuff's BOTF2 project?
Star Trek: Supremacy is a separate entity from Jigalypuff's Star Trek: New Beginnings project, though both projects are supported by the BOTF2 project team (dafedz, Mattress of Evil, et al). The two projects use an entirely different code base, but all of the creative content produced for the BOTF2 project will be shared by both Supremacy and New Beginnings. At the time of this publication, Star Trek: Supremacy is the primary focus of the BOTF2 team, while New Beginnings is being planned for a later release.

What is the difference between Supremacy and Star Trek: Supremacy?
Supremacy (or Galactic Supremacy) was the working title of a game that I developed for the CS4455 Video Game Design course at the Georgia Institute of Technology. The original Supremacy was essentially a trial run, and my first attempt to develop a turn-based strategy game. Before attempting to create BOTF2, I wanted to develop a similar but simpler game as a warm-up exercise. Having done so, I can assess which parts of my design worked well and which parts did not. I can now begin working on Star Trek: Supremacy with greater confidence and hopefully fewer redesigns along the way.

How much of the code from Supremacy can be reused in Star Trek: Supremacy?
While some of the code will need to be removed and rewritten entirely, some of it can be directly reused. However, most of it will need to undergo at least some refactoring in order to accommodate the features described in the BOTF2 specifications written by dafedz.

When will Star Trek: Supremacy be released?
When it's done. Realistically speaking, don't expect anything playable to be publicly released prior to 2007. However, as development progresses, pre-releases may be made available at the developers' discretion. The BOTF2 project has always been a community effort, and rest assured, open beta testing will be conducted once the game is sufficiently far along. Release dates will not be set. However, there will be a detailed development roadmap outlining the order in which game features will be implemented. Once drafted, this roadmap will be available for review in the Supremacy forums. This will allow the community to track the progress of the project.

What will the system requirements be?
Hardware requirements have not yet been defined. However, a PC running Microsoft Window XP SP2 or Microsoft Windows Vista will be required. Prerequisites will include the .NET Framework v2.0 and the WinFX Runtime Components.

What can I do to help?
As with every prior incarnation of the BOTF2 project, we are looking for contributions in the form of ideas, music, artwork, and other creative content. Threads will be posted in the Supremacy forums to address specific areas of development, but in the meantime, feel free to discuss any ideas you have for the game.

Where can I download it from?
The download link for the latest version of Supremacy is maintained in the first post of the Supremacy Pre-release Download Thread, which is in the Supremacy Screens, Info and Planning forum. The first post of that thread is updated on a regular basis with the most up-to-date download links and information. For this reason, we refer everyone to that post instead of just giving them the download link. You can find this post - with the Supremacy download link - Here.

30 Apr 2006, 23:06
Profile WWW
Crewman

where can i download da game

18 Jun 2008, 22:49
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Try Other section perhaps,

Screens, info and planning......

Go to first page of 'Supremacy Pre-Release Download'

Look in there.

Regards Wolfe

18 Jun 2008, 23:53
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

I've edited Mike's post with a link to the thread. I've also fixed the typo-glitches that were caused by the forum move; apostrophes in old posts seem to be showing instead as random strings of letters. :?

20 Jun 2008, 21:32
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]