View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Sep 2024, 14:18

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 AI Scripting 
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

I've been debating two different routes for a moddable AI system. The first is to use dynamically compiled C#. The second is to use IronPython.

C# has the advantage of being the same language used to develop the game, so modders who want to modify the core game library will only have to learn one language.

IronPython is basically a .NET implementation of Python, so it would be easy to pick up for people that already know Python. They would only have to learn some of the .NET-specific language constructs.

I was wondering what the community thinks. Does anyone have a preference?

06 Dec 2006, 00:12
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

I would first say which ever is easiest for you, otherwise as you said C# has the advantage of being the same as the core ad cerainly make it easier for me :D.

Also you are more likely to find AI on the net based upon C/C++/C# i would assume makes it easier to transfer ideas perhaps when the two languages are interpretable, I don't know how differant Python is to C++/C# etc.....

Regards Wolfe

06 Dec 2006, 01:49
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Neither one would be particularly harder than the other to implement, and I'm really not worried about finding examples. I guarantee you that even if I find remotely useful AI sample code, I'll have to completely rewrite it to work with the game anyway.

06 Dec 2006, 02:02
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Personally, I'd perhaps prefer it to be the same as the rest of the code. I'd imagine a few people will learn some basic coding just they can mod this game! Would be easier to learn one language.

I imagine anyone who already knows one is that way inclined and will pick up the other easily enough...

06 Dec 2006, 05:29
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

C# without question. There's little point in making people be familiar with 2 seperate languages, particularly if the difficulty in utilizing each language is roughly the same.

Besides, wouldn't you have to write some sort of interface code to utilize the python?

06 Dec 2006, 18:26
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Azhdeen wrote:
C# without question. There's little point in making people be familiar with 2 seperate languages, particularly if the difficulty in utilizing each language is roughly the same.
I tend to agree. I wanted to at least consider Python because so many other games use it

Azhdeen wrote:
Besides, wouldn't you have to write some sort of interface code to utilize the python?
Nope, that's the beauty of IronPython.

06 Dec 2006, 19:21
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

As long as it works... I'm happy.. :D

08 Dec 2006, 07:41
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]