View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 22 Sep 2024, 12:26

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Supremacy Test Game 
Commander
Commander

I went and loaded up the test game. WOW. It is old BOTF 1 only 3000% better! IT plays rather like botf of old..HOWEVER.. there is so much more to do. Now not all ships have pictures... but you still know what they are.

I fumbled starting my game as I was not thinking that it would be like old both... I should have asked first! lol
You build your items you need for your planet + you can build ships along side!!! From my first play.. 101 turns... You really have to watch your planets closely. with the growth speed it is excellent...

I am going to play again here shortly... Just wanted to give a heads up to everyone to go and try this game!

more to come...

[ EDIT] Here is a screen shot of my movements and making contact and setting up a trade with the Klingons.. this is set at a long Zoom out.. you can still see and move your ships this way.

It is limited as it is a test run. BUT You do get a feel for the game.. and talking with Mstrobel there is more to be added in... The ships move fast.. and if you try, the scouts here do cloak... kinda cool...

Oh if you want to upgrade your systems you only have to use the "F11" key. So you all try it.. I know I am having fun!

Winterhawk...........

08 Nov 2006, 04:26
Profile YIM
Crewman

Very vool! :mrgreen:

08 Nov 2006, 07:17
Profile WWW
Crewman

CANT WAIT!!!

just played it and you lot who are behind this have done one hell of a job! dont rush it like!

10 Nov 2006, 02:03
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Cheers, mate. I'm definitely *not* rushing anything over here ;). I've been doing some pretty meticulous planning, and I've still got a lot of planning to go before you see any new playable features. That's why I went ahead and released a little demo now--it'll give you guys something to play with during the downtime until the next pre-release.

10 Nov 2006, 02:09
Profile WWW
Crewman

yeah... the only thing i want to know...RIGHT NOW!!!... is... when you colonise planets, will you get more terriatory given to you and not just the system.

I guess you will have that covered as this is the version 0.1 release! :lol:

10 Nov 2006, 02:15
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Yes, your territory will expand radially from your colonies and will include sectors that do not contain star systems. I haven't implemented this yet, because it depends on code for inter-species relations, which I have not implemented yet. To figure out who owns a sector, I will have to track territorial claims by each civilization. Then, I'll have to determine which sectors have conflicting claims. I'll also need to track which claims have been relinquished through diplomacy. It's one of those features that's a lot more complicated than it seems at first glance.

10 Nov 2006, 02:32
Profile WWW
Crewman

by the way you have explained it... it does seem complicated! :lol:

good luck mate! and whatever the outcome, you and whoever has helped out deserve a medal! :D

*Post edited by Matress_of_evil - please don't swear on the forums, there are kids and people who may be offended on here! Check out the Rules before posting in future!

Members that continue to flaunt the rules can and will be banned, so cut it out!

10 Nov 2006, 18:57
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

No need to be so harsh on him, Mattress, he's a first time offender. Personally, I don't really care if people swear from time to time, as long as their posts aren't excessively vulgar or in poor taste.

11 Nov 2006, 23:34
Profile WWW
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

I didn't intend it to come across harshly, besides I talked to Sweep_MoraleOfficerofRSA via PM about it anyways. He's fine with it, so don't worry.

I just wanted to point it out coz Jig particularly doesn't like swearing on the forums.

14 Nov 2006, 19:40
Profile WWW
Crewman

It looks awesome! Do we only have class I ships right now? Plus i havent gotten to any ship to ship combat. Does that still need to be added?

25 Mar 2007, 22:19
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

mburrell1979: yes, 3D tactical combat will be the last feature implemented. The reason for this is that it is a huge undertaking, and as I am the only developer on the project right now. I would like to get the rest of the game (mostly) finished before I turn my focus to the combat engine, which will undoubtedly take a while to finish.

26 Mar 2007, 02:04
Profile WWW
Crewman

Ok, just wanted to know. It looks great! The only other issue i have encountered is that some systems only have a max pop of 5, which isnt even enough to produce food. especially if there is no chance for wind turbines or charge collectors to power replicators or the like.

26 Mar 2007, 16:10
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

mburrell1979 wrote:
The only other issue i have encountered is that some systems only have a max pop of 5, which isnt even enough to produce food. especially if there is no chance for wind turbines or charge collectors to power replicators or the like.

Haha! I'd almost be tempted to leave it alone and see what the AI does with those systems :p For some reason, I find this pretty amussing.

26 Mar 2007, 19:12
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

I use the same formula for growth as in BotF, so if I recall correctly, your population will never drop below 9, even if there is no food. So technically you could still colonize a system with a max pop of 5, though you couldn't do much with it ;).

26 Mar 2007, 19:19
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I love it! I eagerly anticipate the full release... Even the next update.

Several comments.

I like the fact that industial percentages left over from one build-project (build factory) gets applied to the next in line (build charge collectors).

I like the "collect deuterium" solution to running out of fuel problem... It's not entirely 'treknologically' correct, but I like it. Would it be possible to show the ship's range when it's outside the fuel lanes? So that I can tell if I'm about to run empty or if I've collected enough deuterium.

The whole thing chunks on my compuer. (WinXP 32 SP2, 1.4Ghz Athelon XP, 1.5GB mem, GeForce 6800 XT w/512 MB) I don't *know* why but I'm guessing it's the .Net framwork. Don't know much about it, I'm just guessing. Supremecy also doesn't quit cleanly. I find it hangs on for well over five minutes, still chewing on something. Nothing's in the debug or error text files and the Log file simply says "Log Initialized".... I downloaded .Net 3 last night specifically for Supremecy, so I have the newest. Suggestions?

I can not build new types of buildings or types of ships even though the requirements are met. Nor do these new buildings show up if the "show only tech items that have been researched" toggle is on. (F11 seems to do nothing.) Is updating not implemented yet? Or is there something buggy about my computer?

In the Technical Database, the toggle switch, "show only tech items that have been researched" is a good idea... However... It should be a slider instead. If the slider is at 2, only those items with a tech of two or less is shown; if it's at 3, only tech from 3 or less is shown. This would allow the user (me) to more easily find what type of research to concentrate my offorts onto: bio, comp, const, energy, prop or weap. If the lists were somehow organized from higher to lower tech-levels, it would be yet easier to find things still.

The text entry for Icarus (Surveyor I) has the entry for Obeth (Surveyor II) instead.

In SupremecyEditor -- which I adore!!! -- I found that some of the ships are incorrectly ship-typed. Scout I, for example, had the ship type "medical". Several others were likewise incorrect... Dont know if it does anything to game-play.

I would *REALLY* appreciate being able to turn off the music on the next release. Please?

That's the major stuff. I'd like to quibble about the tech requirements for most of the facilities. But those are quibbles and not worth going through here.

In all, I'd have to say, "WELL DONE!" I like what you've got! I like it alot! Alot, alot! And it defines well what needs to be done still, which is extremely important.

Edit: It's funny, I've read Defedz BotF2 Project webpage repeatedly and I've always agreed with the stats there. Now that I've played some BotF2 with those stats, I suddenly think they should be changed slightly. (Why do you need a bio tech level of 2 for a type 2 factory?) ... Weird, no?

09 Apr 2007, 02:39
Crewman

:D Woo i love it you are my master. To bad it isnt fineshed yet but well done so far. Got one question why cant i change the color of minors in editor

Awaiting your next release although i hope the game gets faster

21 Aug 2007, 20:44
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

The minors all appear in the same color (grayish) to make the map appear less cluttered. What exactly do you mean when you say that you hope the game gets 'faster'? Are you experiencing performance problems, or are you referring to the 'pace' of the game?

21 Aug 2007, 21:10
Profile WWW

If you're referring to the speed of the game, DuBois, than Supremacy is running MUCH faster than it used to - even though there is now a lot more content and code in the game.

The final optimisations won't be in place until the game is complete, but Mike has done a lot to improve things in the mean time.

If you're referring to the pace of the game though, that's something you could try to do yourself - change the build costs, research times, building production amounts, and so on. As with the speed of the game though, the final optimisations and changes aren't yet in place and will likely be a while before they are done. Mike is always glad of suggestions though, so if you could give us more detail on the issues you're experiencing - such as "if I click this, this happens..." or "if you did this it would make the game work faster..." then you would be providing feedback that could actually help to improve the game. :wink:

By the way, welcome to the site. :)

22 Aug 2007, 12:33
Profile WWW
Crewman

i mean the pace of the game way i had no problems with the speed. but the pace was to slow for my style of gameplay i get the feeling i have to push the turn button 20 times for something happens. Not really my style construction of simple ships already takes ages. may be more realistic but i prefer faster.

Maybe you give out 2 versions one normal one fast gameplay version :wink:

And in the release will it be able to change the color so that some minors can be changed to majors and i love minors makes it more realistic ive the al had there small empires and own colors expect the non spacefaring minors ofcourse. Not like in original where few had ships and you could easy conquer them rather than trying the diplomatic route.

And what are you planning to do with the diplomatic screen.
It would be cool if your able to transfer planets and systems and bases as a peace resolution.
Negotion about claims on systems
Like both empires contest for 2 systems and they come to an agrement with both getting 1 of the 2 systems
Dont know if this is to complex but this kind of diplomatic means you can win territory without fighting. Or have systems switching sides over and over.

22 Aug 2007, 18:03
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Gameplay speed hasn't even begun to be tested and refined yet. I'm sure one of the reasons that it seems to drag is that there are a lot of features missing from the game (like diplomacy), which would normally add a lot more depth to the passing turns.

As you've noticed, the diplomacy system hasn't been implemented yet, but it's one of the next things I'm working on.

23 Aug 2007, 04:00
Profile WWW

That's one of the things i'm looking forward to most about Supremacy. The new interface with the floating heads is a great addition already. 8)

23 Aug 2007, 13:04
Profile WWW
Crewman

When will there be a new version i'd love to see your progress. (Sorry to say for those who like bote but i dont like bote very much to much micromangement for me.) Back to the old botf i guess :). If you need a tester i got some spare time. Wont be the first time.

11 Sep 2007, 00:54
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Probably not any major updates for a while. I've just recently resumed working on the game after about a 3-month sabbattical. I put regular interim releases up on the forums for anyone who wants to test them, so just check the topic header of the Supremacy Pre-Release Download thread to see the last time an update was posted.

11 Sep 2007, 02:37
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I can understand DuBois about the micromanagement :) Me myself plans to make a vanilla botf mod when everything's finished scrapping all the resources except for Latinum and Dilithium but this somethin a year or more away.

11 Sep 2007, 09:11
Profile WWW

DuBois, I don't know if you noticed but Mike released an update to Supremacy only 7 days ago. Again, it's in the thread that Mike mentioned. Keep checking the very first post of that thread, because that's where the latest Supremacy download links go.

...Actually, i'll post a news item so more people notice about it. We hardly ever post news items and this is as good a reason as any to post one. :wink:

11 Sep 2007, 11:00
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

I don't see much point in posting news items about minor releases... the only thing I added to the latest version was animated stars, after all.

11 Sep 2007, 15:48
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

^^
mstrobel will hunt you down anyway MoE when he wants a news item posted up on the site and you won't follow the order.. :twisted:

11 Sep 2007, 16:00
Profile WWW

Actually, the main reason why I posted the news item was due to one of the comments posted on my last news item, which stated that we hardly ever post news items - which is true. There have been months and even years between some of the news items. We really need to use it more often.

Besides, an update is an update. It doesn't matter if it's small or big. It's still something to talk about. We wouldn't be here if we didn't care about the project, so lets make sure people know about our triumphs. :wink:

11 Sep 2007, 22:31
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

muahahahha this is looking really really good :) cant wait for the next stage of the game to be out on the demo!

24 Sep 2007, 14:10
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
The graphics are good and the music adds a lot. I hope that in the opening menu you can later add in some of the monolog as was herd in original BOTF. It breaks up the quite and adds a lot. My personal favorite is that recorded by Ms. Robin Ty.

http://www.botf2.com/Shared%20Documents ... 44987A3%7d

24 Sep 2007, 14:16
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next