View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Sep 2024, 20:23

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Re: Diplomacy options 
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Hy there,

Is it possible to implement in game feature" alliance of minors"?

Example: Romualns expand their teritory, they attack and conquer one of minors, other minors in neigbourhood aware of what is going on form alliance against Romulans?

12 Jan 2007, 18:48
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

I bet that would be an AI hell :D but interesting none the less.

13 Jan 2007, 02:24
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

An interesting and realistic idea, but as cdrwolfe said, it would be AI hell. It also wouldn't add much to the player's experience, since it would only affect minor races. Thus, I'm afraid I'd have to categorize this as being more trouble than it's worth.

13 Jan 2007, 07:52
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

yep that'd be hell with that many minors in a game (just think about the selay and antedeans and all that stuff you have to keep in mind there, just ain't that easy forming allies between them).

I remember one thing though from good old botf, the Borg-forced-Alliance with minors (or was it majors) meaning if borg invaded territory or home planet you got most likely a proposal from the AI for an alliance specifically to defend against borg.

maybe one can implement these "emergency"-alliances with majors only (minors would be too much as I said).

13 Jan 2007, 12:14
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

I was thinking on "minor alliance" more like random event, to put more excitment and challenge in game for human player... It s easy to conquer minor with one solar system and no ships... So one of ten of your attacks on minor may result ALLIANCE of minors in neighborhood (just 2 or 3 of them if they exsist in vicinity!

This is good when minor dosen t have contact with any major race except you! (you have hostile intensions)

13 Jan 2007, 13:48
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Some problems though.

What if one or more Minor Races is in contact with another Major race or player.

Very unlikely that you would find 3 or more Minor races in a vicinity that is close enough to warrant an alliance given the size of the map.

What would happen regarding differant Minor Race ships, the banding together of ships is the only benefit an alliance would have.

Seems just to far a stretch at the moment

13 Jan 2007, 17:05
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Banding together ships will be good, it s response to aggressive diplomacy or expansion near their borders.
This will be tempoarly only to remove danger. Alliance would be formed between minor+ minor or minor+ major power (AI,Human).
It would be nice to fight against minors fleets, but if there is no one to help minor would be lost!
Maybe better name for this would be " War Pact of Minors" or something like that.
This option will give minor species some kind of defense, otherwise they are only sitting in space in await of armagedon!
This is just raw idea needing upgrade...

13 Jan 2007, 17:40
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

of course, I'd say yes if minors could be played by humans as well. But how do you think a half-way not stupid AI should ever know when to form an alliance or not. I can virtually see the outcome. Thousands of exploit possibilities to cheat/trick every AI-controlled minor into an alliance with your (allied) minors and then afterwards yourself.

saves tons of (bribing/convincing) money but isn't workable, I'm sorry.

13 Jan 2007, 18:15
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Hmm,

You repeatdly offer trade treaty (bully), minor gets angry and declares war,few nearby minors join to the same couse ( they don t like your politics) and you have battle! Such reaction can be randomised...

In botf I Sheliak was doing this all the time...

Maybe its not good idea alliance minor +major, this would fix cheats

13 Jan 2007, 18:38
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

okay, that would be includable to get some close-by minors bullied too, in fact not a bad idea at all :)

13 Jan 2007, 23:33
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

If the diplomacy AI is done right, this sort of thing should happen automatically. Other nearby minors will seem like less of a threat compared to a "bully" empire, and they should automatically be more receptive to peace with eachother. However, AI programming is no simple endeavour, so we'll see what happens ;).

14 Jan 2007, 00:01
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

yep. the bullying thing surely comes out automatically. The extra-thing would be to determine who is actually feeling bullied too from the other minors around the one being bullied directly. Some might even enjoy the show (thinkin about the selay watching the antedeans being bullied). They might take this as jeering of their enemies by the major empire and so maybe willing to better the relationship with the major as a result.

still, it's AI talk, definitely the worst thing ahead on the road..

14 Jan 2007, 01:49
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Selay hates Anticans not Antedeans,Malvoisin!

I hope Srobels AI would be a lot better then old one!
Botf 1 was full of stupid things, Ferengi raids your home system with fleet of 120 ships, you try to engage him then he just disapere... Where is he?
Isolinear scaner counts for nothing?!

14 Jan 2007, 13:11
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

anticans antedeans
tamarians talarians takamarians takaharamahilarians...

that "hope" factor is a good one. surely it would be "helpful" if the botf source on this one would be available. damn those guys, even murders come under the statute of limitations sometime...ok, not really but you know what I'm getting at ;)

14 Jan 2007, 13:33
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]