View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 May 2024, 15:32

Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
 The random events thread 
Cadet
Cadet

Intergalactic Penguin barbarians armed with space trout?

23 Jul 2005, 15:07
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Mangan wrote:
Intergalactic Penguin barbarians armed with space trout?

Evil pinguins, terrorising the citizenry (the trout hench-men are on anual leave)

23 Jul 2005, 15:35
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Whos that in the background, the penguins wife? :lol:

24 Jul 2005, 07:32
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Rigel wrote:
Whos that in the background, the penguins wife? :lol:

No, it's his mother-in-law. Which explains why he's so pissed :lol:

24 Jul 2005, 10:56
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

:lol: :lol: :lol:

24 Jul 2005, 22:01
Crewman

It's taken quite a while to read all the way through this thread. My head is swimming in Star Trek goodness right now. 8O

26 Sep 2005, 23:17
Profile YIM WWW
Ensign
Ensign

Hey Thom here,

This is a thing for Radom Effects.

Now you see we where talking about space today in school and i thought that in BOTF2 you could have a planets amsoshare disaper for a couple of turns what makes all live on it die and then it comes back as a barren then you can conliese it again or the planet stays like that and is non- conliseable but it is just a thought so i hope you put it in game!

27 Sep 2005, 17:49
Profile WWW
Xenolinguistics Engineer
Xenolinguistics Engineer

we already have planet changes, but it could work as just another way to kill off your populace, on that note what about a planet becoming unstable and exploding causing massive shifts in orbits and climat changes, this would be something very bad but not quite as bad as a nova

26 Oct 2005, 16:08
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hmm...I don't know about an Atmosphere dissappearing for a couple of turns only.

If something like that were to be possible in the game, it would have to be pretty much permanent from a realism point of view. It takes thousands, possibly even millions of years for any Atmosphere to 'evolve'.

Even then, the conditions have to be right, with either no effects from a Solar Wind (Which would tear it from the Planet) or a Magnetic Field large enough to deflect the Solar Winds would have to be present.

We could use a fluctuation/loss of the Magnetic Fields as a reason for the loss of Atmosphere, of cause. :wink:

Me and OmniQ haven't really been bothering with the random events lately though. (This DOESN'T mean they have been forgotten!!!)

We are waiting for Gavin to respond to a PM asking whether he is gonna use the random events that we have already come up with, or if he is gonna use a different set of events that he has written up himself.

We have been waiting for at least a month for him to respond though, and seeing as he is currently in the middle of moving house, it obviously isn't very likely that we will get a reply anytime soon. :(

If you guys have any ideas though, post them, or send me a PM. I will keep a record of them, and if Gavin says he is gonna use our random events, I will then suggest them as additions at that time for you. :wink:

So what do people think of having the loss of an Atmosphere as a random event? I personally like it, but what do you guys think? :?:

26 Oct 2005, 18:26
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

sounds fine, although i do think it would be a more permanent thing, not a temporary one

26 Oct 2005, 21:29

Well, pretty much like I said.

What about the length of time though?

Would it be a single, catastrophic event, (All population die in one turn, planet becomes uninhabitable) or would it take a few turns? (20m, 50m, 25%, 50% etc. die per turn, planet becomes unihabitable after eg. 10 turns)

What about how often it happens? Should it be a rare event? Should it happen often?

I personally think it should happen over a period of time, as though the Atmosphere was being torn waway by the Solar Winds. I also think it should be a relatively rare event, like a Supernova would be.

The event could be potentially devastating - imagine it happening to Earth, Romulus, Qo'nos, or Cardassia Prime! The system would still be there, but Population wise, it would be almost useless! 8O

Should there be any particular Planet types that this random event is more likely to effect, or should it just randomly happen to any Planet?

Answering these questions would flesh out the specifics of the random event. :wink:

26 Oct 2005, 23:49
Profile WWW
Crewman

it would be cool if random events could be studied by science ship or have different effect on a game

example:

a comet is travellin trought sector,you would have to send a science vessel first to intersept it then depending on what you find (ex:rare mineral)
send a mining ship to recover the mineral

or you find a wormhole you could send science vessel to study the wormhole to learn about it like if it is stable

28 Sep 2007, 03:34
Crewman

asteroid field would be a good place to hide your smaller craft and give an advantage againts bigger class

some nebula could provide special ressource and help refuel your ship,hide them or more

also scanning system could also bring new event

26 Oct 2007, 08:04
Crewman

Well, I dont like random events, because they do too much terror for me.
You build for example a station that fits a planetary status, for example steam vent collectors and in the next turn, your planet changed its behavior, the building is gone, you suffer from energy loss and will lose also a bit of max_pop.

All these "permanent" changes bother me. If you could add a button that will only enable temporary effects, I think I would take them. But things like supernova, atmosphere loss, climatic shift and so on do only make one thing: They bother you and decrease the effectivity of your empire. Over the time, more and more systems will blow up because of supernovas, your ships gets destroyed and so on. What when you have an empire with 50 systems? Then you have to look over 10 random events per turn and the half of it is a permanent negative one.

So maybe, you can open a lillte ini-file in the games an click on all the events you might want to have and all the events that you dont want to have.

For example: We have a minor race with only a single planet terraformed. A random event will kill 50 million inhabitants, the system is now unpopulated. The minor race is gone.
Maybe someone finds that funny, for me it kills the gameplay.

16 Jul 2009, 12:26
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Mike has been dealing with that issue. One suggestion he got was to make random events things you could mitigate with intervention. It is similar to what Cange suggests above. If a plaque breaks out you can save lives by sending a hospital ship in. We could go back through episodes of Star Trek and look for ways to make a random events play out like the story line. The Crystalline Entity shows up and you have to find a way to stop it. Stop it and save systems.

16 Jul 2009, 12:57

If you read the random events list that i've made, you'll actually see that a great many of them are positive randoms - there are far more positive ones than there were in BOTF, at least.

I believe Mike said he was willing to include an option so you could turn the random events on or off as well. If so, it will be coming in a future update.

The Crystalline Entity is a combat random in my random events list - you have to fight it, just as you did in BOTF. But I also floated the idea of having randoms like the Crystalline Entity that you could also find alternative ways of defeating - for instance, you could research them, which would give you a research bonus and help to find a way to destroy them humanely, neutralise them in some way, or even befriend them. It would then be up to players to decide whether it is worth spending their efforts on destroying the threats, or working to find an alternative solution. I have no idea whether this idea is going to be taken on or not though; not many people have mentioned or discussed it.

16 Jul 2009, 18:58
Profile WWW
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples

I have an idea. Why in the next upgrade you do not add the following randoms events original BOTF:
HULL DEGRADING VIRUS DETECTED
COMET STRIKES
CREDITS MISSING IN EMPIRE
ENERGY MELTDOWN IN SYSTEM
IMMIGRATION BOOM IN SYSTEM
RESEARCH SETBACK
RESEARCH THEFT
FABRIC OF SPACE DISTURBED
SPACE DISTORTION HAS ENDED

19 Jul 2009, 12:35
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Welcome to the forums 'starfleet.command'. Those are all good ideas and it does sound like they came from the original game. We will be looking for ways for the players to react to and interact with these random events. We want it to play out like min missions.
:borg:

19 Jul 2009, 14:50

Hey StarfleetCommand. Welcome to the forums! :)

Supremacy already contains a random event, which was aded in the last update purely as a test to see whether the system would work. This random is a religious festival that halts all production in one system for one turn, and has a 1% chance of happening every turn.

I don't know if you read my above post, but I have already written a list of potential randoms for the game. They actually already include some of the randoms you have suggested:

Quote:
Comet Strike

A random Planet in a system becomes barren. Extreme decrease in system population, many system structures are destroyed, the chances of an Earthquake/Volcano/Storm/Climate shift occurring on that planet is greatly increased during the next 10 turns.
A Comet has struck a Planet in the _____ system. The system's defences were inadequate to stop the Comet, and the devastation is total; millions have died. The few remaining people are in for hard times, as virtually all structures have been destroyed, and the Planet is undergoing a Climate change. Predictions indicate this change will be permanent and negative in effect. There have been numerous Earthquakes, and Tectonic activity is on the rise. The system is in a state of emergency, and all trade has ceased. Hospital ships are desperately needed to carry out humanitarian missions.
lot! A Comet has impacted with one of the Planets in system _____. The devastation is total, and millions of honourable Warriors died without battle. It is a sad day for the Empire.
Planets are not the only bodies that surround a Star. Moons, Asteroids, and Comets are all leftover debris from the formation of the System they inhabit. If left unchecked, this debris can threaten the Empire. A Comet has struck a Planet in System _____. Our Centurions and their families did not stand a chance. Dust has polluted the Atmosphere and global temperatures are plummeting. The System will not easily recover easily from this tragedy. The Tal Shiar will have their work cut out to hide this news from our enemies.
Our Warships defend Cardassia from the threats posed by our enemies, but now they must aid her from an attack by Nature itself. A rogue Comet has impacted with a Planet in system _____. Millions of loyal Cardassians died in the tragedy. Atmospheric Dust is hampering relief efforts and it is unlikely that there will be any survivors.
The Founders move in mysterious ways. A Comet has struck a Planet in system _____, killing Millions. We must strive to appease the Founders before another tragedy can occur.

Quote:
Embezzlement

_____ credits are permanenetly lost from your treasury.
An audit of our assets has discovered a massive quantity of Latinum is missing from Federation investment accounts. Widespread embezzlement has been blamed, and an investigation is underway. _____ credits are missing from our treasury.
bolwI'! A routine audit of the Empire's wealth has discovered a massive hole in our Latinum reserves. The hole cannot be explained for, and embezzlement is blamed. Qu'vatlh! Imperial Intelligence has not only failed the Empire, but it has now weakened our ability to prepare for the future war effort.
Empire-specific message not yet written.

Quote:
Fusion Meltdown

Energy research takes a massive hit, all energy structures in a random system are destroyed and the system suffers a large loss of population. The chances of a negative climate change event in that system also greatly increase. This event is devastating and on the scale of Praxis.
Starfleet priority communique. All captains within range of system _____ report to the system immediately. The large power production and research plant on _____ has gone into fusion meltdown. The shockwave caused by the devastating explosion has knocked a moon out of orbit, destabilised the atmosphere and killed thousands - but millions more are now at risk from radioactive fallout, debris, and sudden climate shifts. The scale of the devastation cannot be adequately described. This tragedy will impact the Federation economy, power production, and research efforts for decades to come.
lot! The energy research complex on _____ has exploded! The plasma emissions and radioactive fallout ignited the atmosphere of the planet, killing thousands of Warriors in their sleep. They died without their weapons, without an enemy to fight - and without honor. The Empire will never forget this. The system will carry the scars of the devastation for decades to come, and even worse - there is no enemy upon which the Empire can claim its revenge! This day shall forever be known as the darkest day in the Empire's history, for it is the day that the Empire ran out out of energy.

I haven't yet written the messages for the Hull Degrading Virus or the Population Influx ones, but I will write them if Mike decides he wants to use my randoms. I suppose we could include a tourism disaster one or something as well so there could be a random that temporarily slows growth in a random system too.

Thanks for the great ideas though, if you have any more ideas for randoms, then I'd really like to hear them. :)

19 Jul 2009, 21:51
Profile WWW
Crewman

I would love to see Q. It's not Star Trek without Q. And maybe a random syestem with Kevin Uxbridge. There could be Husnock ship that shows up after you've been there for X amount of turns unless your Diplomacy and ship level are high enough.

18 Aug 2009, 23:19
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Q is on our list of random events and he has been in talk about other mission related considerations.

20 Aug 2009, 03:39
Crewman

I don't know if this idea has already been voiced, but how about the following;

What if some random events didn't specifcally effect the player's empire but other emipres or minor races. You could even make missions of them. Something happens to another race or power and you have an oppertunity to assist or in some cases, exploit the situation. It could also effect relations with the race or power in question. Posatively if you rendered assistance, negatively if you tried to exploit them.

Anywho, just a thought. Sorry if it's come up already.

20 Aug 2009, 07:32

That's partly how plagues and hospital ships work. Hospital ships can help to cure plagues in rival empires, boosting relations. Or you could choose to ignore their pleas. And let them die. :twisted:

There are also other randoms like Encounter The Think Tank. (From Voyager) You would receive a message stating the Think Tank will attempt to boost your research if you give them x resources. It's up to players to decide whether to give them the resources they demand. And even if they do, there's still the possibility the Think Tank will fail or run off with the resources...

20 Aug 2009, 12:29
Profile WWW
Crewman

~S~

Encountering the " Evonlights "

The one event that could work is a new race that only comes into play ONCE every say 5000 yrs or so. A new wormhole that appears would be the start of the event. A mass message is sent to all major races that they have been contacted by this new race that would like to make contact. It will inform them were to go and the dialog would be the same for all races that get there first. The message would be simple and straight to the point.

"We Evonlights have only two solar turns of this universe to share with the following Civilizations. Greetings to the Federation, Romulans, Klingons, Cardassians and Dominion Races. We " Evonlights " would like to share this great Knowledge to you. To receive this great gift, You will need to have 1 science vessel come to this point of space. They will then send us a message that they have arrived."

This message will be sent by the interaction of the game when the players ship has scanned the sector. ( automatically done when ship lands on tile.) The players ship will be the q to the other races when to enter this tile, so they all arrive at the same time. The only way the player can go to this sector will depend on the diplomatic board of no wars showing. So the player must have no wars showing.

Another message will be shown if they do try to enter the sector

" You must not be at war with anyone of the invited Races."

When the player has cleared the Dip board, they can then enter the sector and another message is sent

" Welcome to our home, We Evonlights would like to share with you all a great gift in exchange, we ask that you do not engage in any Military actions for, ( have 25 or so turns ) to wards any of the races that have been contacted and are now here. All Vessels will need to stay in this sector for the duration of the time decided on for confirmation of no military actions has taken place. Any race breaking the truce, will not receive this gift.

AT the time completed and the races that do not engage in military actions they will get the say a 2% pop boost or what ever. ( Knowing that the game has a max pop already set, think of some thing that can be added to the game or just the words peace is the answer LOL.. The ones that do break the truce will be reduced by 10% pop.

Therefor the player that uses this time to attack, will lose the pop boost and the other races will not. The game has automatic defense already on so if they are attacked, the game still does on as normal. They just don't get the gift and lose pop. Game goes on.

The major Races MUST work together to have the contact of this race. All races MUST stop all wars and all must scan the wormhole at the same time. This in its self would reset the Diplomatics of the game and will then be restarted for the major races only.. lol

No new ships or pics for the new race need to be made because they are energy based. OK maybe some pic of a nova lol..

Benefits would be all Major races would get this gift and the Diplomatics part reset.

Honor is the only thing to hold true!

20 Aug 2009, 21:45

Hello everybody, i've got a new idea to propose regarding the random events.

The whale Probe (We could rename it: The Aquatic Probe)

http://www.neutralzone.de/database/Alien/OtherSpace/Other/WhaleProbe.htm

If my recollections are accurate, the probe was causing damage to both the oceans and completely neutralized the vessels nearby.

01 Oct 2009, 12:10

Off the top of my head, I believe we had a discussion about including this in the random events, but people didn't really like the suggestions we could come up with as to *how* we could incorporate it in the game. That was a very long time ago though, so maybe people might have more luck with making suggestions if we discuss it again.

03 Oct 2009, 23:06
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hey peoples. I havent went thru all the pages of posts but I really like random events in game (and major ones to) but like sheva says it can be really annoying.Soo how about this.For example if the planet was going to suffer an atmosphere loss and it was in the federation Im sure it would be advanced enough in techs to forsee this coming and call for aid(like the enterprise) for help to save them.TNG saved various planets from disasters if I recall like earthquakes and volcanoe.Anyway the point is a screen would pop up and tell you that x world is going to have this problem and there could be a list of choices.Choices would range but say you would have to invest resources into preventing the prob so you dont lose population or planet.Then it would be up to you to save the people and planet at your cost or let them die.Choices could vary greatly in costs and consequences.

On a side note I got this from Galactic Civ 2 which is alot of fun and in that game they incorporate a good-neutral-evil system which you become aligned with by the choices you make.It affects diplomacy with other races thet you are or are not aligned with and gives you specific bonuses once you research them.I know this is star trek here and the feds are always good but this is a game and would make playability diff and more diverse.

Also it would be cool to get special bonuses and rewards/special tecs for how you deal with random events.Say if you used communication on the crystaline entity instead of destroying it you get a diplomacy bonus.

06 Oct 2009, 14:05

There is a random event that you probably have forgotten, is the Tarellian Vessel.

09 Oct 2009, 11:54

Question: In the Random Events Descriptions of the Shared documents there is the following description:

Cytoplasmic being/void (Acts like a gigantic Echo Papa 607, but you get a biotech research bonus by scanning it AND defeating it. Ships that survive the battle get an experience bonus for fighting this unusual enemy. There is no warning message for this event.)

Is it a ship?

12 Oct 2009, 18:58
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

It will have a model for use in the combat engine. This is listed under Alien Entities, Structures and Monsters.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1836&start=0
It is taken from a TOS episode. This is a space dwelling single cell organism about the size of France.
:borg:

12 Oct 2009, 19:34
Reply to topic   [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next