View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 May 2024, 09:12

Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 The random events thread 
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples

Wargames (Recieve a large Weapons tech bonus)
A recent wargame training simulation yielded unexpected results when a computer reconfigured the weapons systems of one of our ships to generate a massive pulse of Phaser energy. The Phaser pulse would have destroyed the test vessel had the weapons officer not been able to disable the computer, but analysis of the recongiguration has led to a renewed understanding in Nadion weapons technology.

Matress, about this event, I want to know if you alluded to the episode of TNG "Peak Performance"?

23 Oct 2009, 18:01
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hehe yes I did. :smile:

Oh, and I just noticed the typo in there. Typo fixed and uploaded to Sharepoint.

23 Oct 2009, 18:18
Profile WWW

I also thought about the combat interface, a simulation between 2 vessels only for this event.

23 Oct 2009, 18:22

Religious Holiday (Complete loss of production in a random system for one turn, +1 morale in system)

Glory be to the Founders! On this most holy of days, the people have shed aside their tools to give thanks for the blessings the Founders have provided. Output may have ceased throughout the Dominion, but that is a small price to pay so that the people may show their adoration for the Founders.

I rather see an addition to the random system:

Glory be to the Founders! On this most holy of days, the people of _____ have shed aside their tools to give thanks for the blessings the Founders have provided. Output may have ceased throughout the Dominion, but that is a small price to pay so that the people may show their adoration for the Founders.

26 Oct 2009, 12:49

Come to think of it, my message doesn't entirely make sense anyway. If a random system ceases production, why does it say production has ceased throughout the Dominion?

Updated.

Glory be to the Founders! On this most holy of days, the people of _____ have shed aside their tools to give thanks for the blessings the Founders have provided. System output may have temporarily ceased, but that is a small price to pay so that the people may show their adoration for the Founders.

And for good measure, I wrote one for the Feds.

The Federation is receptive to the religious views of its citizens, and the workers of system _____ have downed their tools for a religious celebration. System output may have temporarily ceased, but our citizens are enjoying a day of feasting and celebration. It's good to be in the Federation!

26 Oct 2009, 23:31
Profile WWW

In the Random Event: Archaeological Dig Success (Large increase in system research production for 5 turns, small but permanent increase in system trade)

Ancient ruins of major archaeological significance have been discovered in system _____. Among the ruins were ancient devices of unknown origin. Our researchers believe they may be able uncover the devices' secrets.

Do you consider the Archaeological Dig as the discovery of artifacts? For there is a list of artifacts to consider to use (maybe)

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Artifacts
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Category:Religion

02 Nov 2009, 12:48
Admiral
Admiral

There's a typo there:
able uncover -> able to uncover

There's a few more at least (only read a couple):

Species 8472
found its' way -> found its way

The Borg / Klingon
Our Battlecruisers in sector... (may not have any)
honor -> honour (x2)

02 Nov 2009, 13:27
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

What avout the Alternate universe as a random event (encounter of the Alternate universe - "We discovered that there is another universe parallel with our own, but it seems that is is savage and wild, in any case our understanding of the universe has changed". then you get some morale and research points.) I would love to do an image for it.

02 Nov 2009, 14:52
Profile YIM WWW

Weapon Misfire Event:

A test of a new torpedo design went spectacularly wrong when an engineer miscalculated the amount of antimatter needed to power the explosion. The remaining antimatter left from the explosion vapourised the test facility, which was built from the very latest Polyduranium armor. Whilst the loss of the facility is a blow, the data gathered from remote sensor systems will be useful in designing larger antimatter storage devices that will allow for the creation of new torpedoes with the same destructive potential.

According to the text, why not add -1 Moral point for the loss of the test structure?

02 Nov 2009, 14:52

Dishonourable Discharge (25% loss in personnel gain for _____ turns, small decrease in morale empire-wide)

For the Dominion, I had thought that an act as that to kill a Changeling was considered as an dishonourable act (as Odo's act). Matress, maybe a text in this spirit would be welcome in this Dishonourable Discharge Random Event?

02 Nov 2009, 15:04
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
starfleet.command wrote:
Ancient ruins of major archaeological significance have been discovered in system _____. Among the ruins were ancient devices of unknown origin. Our researchers believe they may be able uncover the devices' secrets.

It might sound better if alternate words are used for "ancient" and "devices" as this phrase progresses OR the repeated words are dropped. Since I am having trouble thinking of alternate words for the two, I just removed them.

Example: Ancient ruins of major archaeological significance have been discovered in system ______. Among the ruins were devices of unknown origin. Our researchers believe they may be able to uncover their secrets.

02 Nov 2009, 15:14

I would replace the word "device" with the word "artifact". The artifact has secrets that can be discovered.
For example, the texts of the Kir'shara (from de Vulcans): The discovery of the Kir'Shara transformed Vulcan society, initiating a widespread return to the true teachings of Surak

02 Nov 2009, 17:15

I agree with Starfleet.

02 Nov 2009, 18:04
Profile YIM WWW

I agree with what you say about the event Captain, so i've made your suggested change. Since the event is supposed to attract tourists though i've added an extra sentence stating so.

Ancient ruins of major archaeological significance have been discovered in system _____. Among the ruins were devices of unknown origin. Our researchers believe they may be able to uncover their secrets, and news of the discovery is quickly attracting tourists from across the Federation.

I was simply using the "discovery" of artefacts as a means to an end, Starfleet. I could put the name of a specific artefact into the description, but the random nature of the event means that if you name something that belongs to a known race that is found on the other side of the galaxy, it raises questions of how the artefact got there, or even why archaeologists were looking for it there in the first place. An alternative to having a known artefact would be to instead refer to an unknown aftefact, and there's an ancient, extinct, and canon empire that fits this description perfectly: the T'Kon Empire. They were a powerful empire that appeared to have technology far more advanced than that of the Federation, and yet they lived over a 100,000 years ago. The T'Kon Empire was advanced but wasn't expansionist and had few colonies. Their home system was obliterated by the Supernova of their sun, and without their home system, the empire collapsed leaving few traces of their existence behind.

The T'Kon were such a powerful and interesting race that they could just as easily have their own random event. Anyone have any ideas of what we could do with them?

I don't agree with changing "device" to "artefact" in the message though. The message later states that your researchers will try to discover the <objects> secrets, which would make more sense if the object is technological, that is, a device. An artefact can technically mean a piece of technology, but it is more commonly associated with meaning remains, such as pottery, or jewellery, or a piece of architecture.

I've fixed the typos that you've mentioned, .Iceman. Good eyes you have there. :)

The Mirror Universe is a good idea for a random event Vjeko, so i've added that one to the list. Start working on the image. :)

I've made your suggested changes to the Weapon Misfire event, Starfleet. The event now has a -1 system morale effect for 10 turns. I've also made a slight change to the text because it doesn't technically make sense.

A test of a new torpedo design went spectacularly wrong when an engineer miscalculated the amount of antimatter needed to power the explosion. The explosion vapourised the test facility, which was built from the very latest Polyduranium armor. Whilst the loss of the facility is a blow, the data gathered from remote sensor systems will be useful in designing larger antimatter storage devices that will allow for the creation of new torpedoes with the same destructive potential. The test facility is now being rebuilt with the design of more powerful explosive devices in mind.

Random Events Updated.

02 Nov 2009, 18:38
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

Quote:
Ancient ruins of major archaeological significance have been discovered in system _____. Among the ruins were devices of unknown origin. Our researchers believe they may be able to uncover their secrets, and news of the discovery is quickly attracting tourists from across the Federation.

That, of course, is for the Federation only.

03 Nov 2009, 13:05

I also thought of a temporal rift with which a destroyed spacecraft emerges from its past and come back fighting next to a empire.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Enterprise_C
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Temporal_rift

03 Nov 2009, 13:22

Matress_of_evil wrote:
The T'Kon were such a powerful and interesting race that they could just as easily have their own random event. Anyone have any ideas of what we could do with them?

In the TNG episode "the last outpost", A planet of the Empire T' Kon, in the system Delphi Ardu, be able of immobilizing ships during several turns (possibility of negotiating yes/no with his guardian.(if no, it destroy your ships)). Why not to use this indication for a new Random Event?

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Portal_63

03 Nov 2009, 14:03

I know the link starfleet, I did some research when I wrote that post. It's an idea I guess so i'll add it into the list.

I also know of the T'Kon from a gigantic fanfic that i'm reading at the moment. I highly recommend it if you like Babylon 5 or Battlestar Galactica, have a huge amount of free time to spare and wondered what really happened with all of the parallel universes etc. in Trek.

Anyways, it's a crossover between Battlestar Galactica (1970's), Star Trek (TNG Klingon War Alternate Universe, DS9 Mirror Universe, and Voyager's Admiral Janeway on board the Voyager-B), Babylon 5, and something else that I don't know. It's written by a guy called AlbertG and it's on the fanfiction website. It's spread across four different books and it's a bit tricky knowing which order to read them in.

Anyways, the first book covers what happens when a T'Kon outpost (That's been reactivated by a member of the Q Continuum) makes first contact with a Cylon (1970's version). The Outpost massively upgrades the Cylons, who become superintelligent, self-repairing, deadly machines. They kill Baltar since they no longer need him, and almost destroy the Galactica, when they encounter a Starfleet ship. The Starfleet vessel defends the Galactica from the Cylon's attack, whilst the Galactica limps deeper into the Alpha Quadrant. But the Starfleet vessel is destroyed a few minutes later. The Galactica has led the Cylons to the Alpha Quadrant, and the Cylons switch their attention from the Galactica to invasion of both the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, exterminating the Romulans in the process because the Ruination Protocols determine that the Romulans are similar to man and thus must be destroyed.

I could write reams and reams about the fanfic, because it ties in soo many different Trek storylines, and encompasses other franchises in a logical, believable way. It's a brilliant storyline, but I won't write about it here and spoil it too much. If you want to know more though, just send me a PM and I can write a synopsis. :)

04 Nov 2009, 00:51
Profile WWW

Matress, i have anothe idea. Is there a random event which says, for example, that an officer was judged by a supreme authority and condemned to be imprisoned into a prison, an internment camp...etc ?

The main detention centers, prisons and camps (work) in Star Trek are listed here:

Federation: New Zealand Penal Settlement or Tantalus colony.
Cardassian Union: Hutet labor camp or Velos VII internment camp.
Dominion: Internment Camp 371.
Klingon Empire: Rura Penthe.
Romulan Star Empire: Reman Mine or Carraya prison camp

According to the BOTF 2 Database:
The Cardassians have a Forced Labour Commune
The Dominion has a Dominion Work Camp
The Klingons have a Forced Labour Foundry
The Romulans have the Reman Mine
Suggestion: The Federation could have a Reorientation center as penal settlement with +20% Industry (or more)

05 Nov 2009, 12:24

Whilst we know of the New Zealand penal colony, we also know that the Federation wouldn't put their prisoners into hard labour because they have rights. The Federation system would also likely have a much smaller-scale population, whereas the systems of the other Empires have the potential to cover a moon (Rura Penthe for instance) or even a whole planet. So even if we were to add this structure, I don't think it should have a big bonus - certainly nowhere near as big as the bonus the other races get.

There's also the fact that all of the empires already have structures that boost their industrial output. Yet another bonus is just going to make it harder to balance the game later on. I therefore think it would be better to not have these in the game, or at least not include them until the game balance has been sorted.

06 Nov 2009, 01:42
Profile WWW

About the Klingon Religious Holiday (Complete loss of production in a random system for one turn, +1 morale in system)
i have a idea of some words in the sentence: Many Klingons went to the monastery of Boreth to adress their prayers to Kahless and for they be worthy to enter Sto-vo-kor

i have also a idea about the Romulan Religious Holiday: Eitreih'hveinn

06 Nov 2009, 13:35

What about "Encounter the Traveller" One of your ships dissapear for several turns and you gain big propulsion bonus .

07 Nov 2009, 13:27
Profile YIM WWW

Yeah, that's an idea. I'll add it to the list. Think you can make an image for it? :smile:

07 Nov 2009, 13:42
Profile WWW

Hello everybody, i thought to a new idea for a random event: The Great Barrier the Planet at the center of the galaxy, the differents names of this planet are:

Federation----> Eden
Klingons------> Qui'Tu
Romulans-----> Vorta Vor

but the problem is that the Cardassians & the Dominion have nothing about it!!!

Is it possible to create a personnalized random event for some empires? What do you think about?

(maybe for a EASTER EGG, Matress hehe....!!!!)

10 Nov 2009, 14:27

Or a random event like Ship disappeared, you lose some morale points and lose a random ship. Inspired by many episodes like the one in which the ship of Geordi's mother just disappears. And to add also "Encounter the Suliban Cabal" event. You gain some research points in Biotech.
Text:
F: One of our ships has encountered a small cellship drifting in space. Only passenger has been found dead and was examined by our doctor. He has been identified as Suliban but it seems that some sophisicated genetic engineering was used to enhace his abilities. The main computer banks on his ship have mentioned a organization called "The Cabal". We should be on alert and minimize the contact with this dangerous organization.

10 Nov 2009, 14:54
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Nice ideas but for the planet at the center of the galaxy. That is a film I would like to pretend never happened. Bad movie, scientifically inaccurate and we could just avoid it by not mapping the galactic center in our game.
:borg:

10 Nov 2009, 19:23
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

G! how stupid that film was!! I think in the year when movie was filmed in Hollywood was strike of screenwriters, that is the reason why movie was so stupid... worst st movie ever! :waaah:

10 Nov 2009, 20:52
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Here is a random event: Your empire sends that film to the galactic center. The film is sucked into the super massive black hole known to be at the galactic center and is never seen again. Your empire gets +25 renewed optimism.
:borg:

10 Nov 2009, 21:29

I didn't like that film either and i'm sorry if anyone here is religiously-minded, but i'm certainly not. The idea of "god" in that film was just laughable.

Simply losing a random ship is a very good idea for a random event though, so i'll add your ideas, vjeko. I can't believe I didn't think of adding it becaore. I'm not sure about the Suliban Cabal though because the Suliban are already in as a random event, and it would be odd to have them as both a race and a random event...although technically that's how the Borg will work as well.

I've also made some minor changes and updates to several of the event messages. Sharepointed.

10 Nov 2009, 22:58
Profile WWW

Well about the cabal, the Suliban and the Cabal are two different things, like the federation and the Maquis, same race but different organization. I think it would be good random event and would look forward making a pic for it.

10 Nov 2009, 23:37
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next