View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 05 May 2024, 04:31

Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 The random events thread 
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples

I have another idea to propose a new random event. After watching the episode TOS: Errand of Mercy, I realized that an advanced organization called: The Organian Council of Elders had the power to block the fleets in space and neutralize all the effects of violence between 2 powers in war. Do you think you can create a random event with this kind of conditions?

05 May 2010, 12:34
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
That sounds interesting. I guess it is up to Mike.
:borg:

05 May 2010, 14:03

I also suggest you another random event based on the DISSIDENT MOVEMENTS who commit bad actions against their government.

FEDERATION:
- The Red Squad. (In 2372, the program was a relatively new idea. A group of Red Squad cadets, including Riley Shepard, disabled the global power distribution center in Lisbon, allowing Admiral Leyton to launch his coup attempt.)

or

- The MAQUIS. (The Maquis were a rebellious organization of Federation-born colonists and discontented Starfleet officers who organized against the Cardassian occupation)

CARDASSIAN UNION: Cardassian dissident movement (The Cardassian dissident movement was a resistance movement formed to resist and oppose the Cardassian Central Command and restore the authority of the Detapa Council. Professor Natima Lang was a known member of the movement in 2370. Legate Tekeny Ghemor was a secret supporter and leader of this movement. He was exposed in 2371 by the Obsidian Order and fled Cardassia. He left to live among the Mathenites, whose government had offered him sanctuary.)

DOMINION: the Gammas (Gamma was the term applied to the original Jem'Hadar soldiers created in the Gamma Quadrant, after the creation of the Alpha in 2374. The Gammas were regarded as inferior to the Alphas, leading to friction between the two groups.)

ROMULAN STAR EMPIRE: Romulan underground movement (The Romulan underground movement was formed sometime prior to the late 24th century on the planet Romulus by a group of Romulan citizens who opposed the Romulan High Command and who supported a Romulan-Vulcan reunification.)

KLINGON EMPIRE: House of Duras (In 2346, Ja'rod had betrayed his people to the Romulans, providing them with the codes to lower the defenses protecting the Klingon colony on Khitomer. When evidence of this surfaced in 2366, then-Chancellor K'mpec sought to protect the Empire against a possible civil war by blaming Mogh, the father of Worf. Worf challenged this, but when he learned the truth he agreed to accept discommendation, for the good of the Empire.)

The bonus about these misdeeds would be -% Morale

07 May 2010, 13:24
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I like that

08 May 2010, 02:15

I have an idea about the random event: Guardian of Forever. It is the basis of a voyage in the time, a kind of discovery on historical facts and "cultural" of a people. Why not add a bonus of +% Sociology Research?

Attachments:
Encounter_the_Guardian_of_forever.png
Encounter_the_Guardian_of_forever.png [ 121.76 KiB | Viewed 14540 times ]

10 May 2010, 10:04
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

It is up for considerations. See the bottom of page 13 and top of
page 14 in this thread.

10 May 2010, 12:32

starfleet.command wrote:
I'm agree for this:

Y class transport TRANSPORT I (Enterprise)
DY 500 (Mariposa Class) in TRANSPORT II (TOS)
London class TRANSPORT III (TNG/DS9)

I made a mistake about the DY-500, in fact it is a colony ship.

12 May 2010, 15:53
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

I suggest that we try to avoid any DY lineage ships where possible, they are too much like submarines, and were seen only on computer specs(Except for DY-100, but it is a sub-warp ship). We have enough canon ENT and TOS era ships to use in their place.

Fed Transport Ship I ------ Y-Class trasport

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/05/ ... fortunate/

Fed Transport Ship II ------- Antares class(we have the model)

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Antares_type

Fed Transport III -------- the one we have now

Fed Colony Ship I -------- Conestoga (we have the model)

Fed Colony Ship II -------- If nothing else DY-500 (just modify the DY-100 model we have)

Fed Colony Ship III -------- the one we have.

12 May 2010, 16:10
Profile YIM WWW

I accept your idea.

12 May 2010, 16:15
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
Can we show the Antares Class in a different orientation than the one pointing down? I like the angle better in the URL you posted Vjeko1701.

17 May 2010, 13:00

We still need to work on the model we have.

17 May 2010, 13:47
Profile YIM WWW

Hello everyone, what do you think if we added a random event about the DEVIDIANS? They cause a decrease in population by eating their vital essence.

10 Nov 2010, 10:50
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Devidian

10 Nov 2010, 12:09
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was bored and reading through a couple random events; I guess I haven't visited this thread in awhile because the new posts since last visit started in 2009. While I was reading and skimming through the massive list of events I caught a few typos and have a few comments for some of them; Forgive me if they have already been fixed since then.

Comet Strike

Romulan Text

The System will not easily recover easily from this tragedy.

{Remove one instance of the word 'easily', duplicate word}

Embezzlement

Klingon Text

The hole cannot be explained for, and embezzlement is blamed.

{its possible the word 'for' was used as a Klingon figure of speech, but it sounds awkward in English}

Fusion Meltdown

Federation text

The shockwave caused by the devastating explosion has knocked a moon out of orbit, destabilised the atmosphere and killed thousands - but millions more are now at risk from radioactive fallout, debris, and sudden climate shifts. The scale of the devastation cannot be adequately described.

{The moon part might want to be taken out, since it begs the question "What moon?" if there wasn't one and "why is it still there?" if there were moons. I think destabilised is spelt more commonly destabilized, but I can't find why.}

Klingon text

lot! The energy research complex on _____ has exploded! The plasma emissions and radioactive fallout ignited the atmosphere of the planet, killing thousands of Warriors in their sleep. They died without their weapons, without an enemy to fight - and without honor. The Empire will never forget this. The system will carry the scars of the devastation for decades to come, and even worse - there is no enemy upon which the Empire can claim its revenge! This day shall forever be known as the darkest day in the Empire's history, for it is the day that the Empire ran out out of energy.

{Text sounds too empire-wide even though its one system, I know its intended to be dramatic but still... Additionally the word 'out' appears twice, one instance should be removed.}

18 Nov 2010, 13:02
Xenolinguistics Engineer
Xenolinguistics Engineer

I really like the Devidian idea. it would be a great way to trim a population

19 Nov 2010, 02:25

I would like propose an idea for a random event, "A transporter accident caused the death of a someone important"
With the example of transporter room (below) and a body half-visible.

Attachments:
Transporter_room_TNG_V1_001001.jpg
Transporter_room_TNG_V1_001001.jpg [ 43.46 KiB | Viewed 14242 times ]

22 Dec 2010, 12:58
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

That sounds like a good idea. Who do we have to impress to get it on the list?

23 Dec 2010, 01:55
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

We sort-of already have a transporter accident in the randoms. It's in as a Federation-only description though.
Quote:
Popular Advisor Dies
Empire-wide drop in morale for 10 turns
A prominent member of the Federation Council was killed in a Transporter accident. Initial examination has ruled out foreign influence; the advisor had an undiagnosed heart problem that only came to light when he suffered a heart attack during a transport. The people are devastated by the tragedy and are in mourning for the loss of the popular leader. Morale has suffered Empire-wide.
A prominent advisor to the Chancellor has died whilst out hunting Targ. He was attacked by a sabre-bear in a cave, and whilst the battle was glorious, he was fatally wounded. Our warriors now wonder whether his replacement will be as worthy to advise the Chancellor.
A prominent member of the Romulan Senate was killed when a boat she was on capsized in the Apnex Sea during a violent storm. The examination has ruled out external interference; it was a simple, terrible boating accident. The Senate is now voting for a new Praetor to lead the Government.
A prominent member of the Detapa Council was killed in an accident, when an aerial vehicle he was in crashed outside of Culat Province. The investigation has shown that it was simply a terrible accident. Public morale has dipped at hearing the news.
A rare and horrible event has occurred. While travelling to another world, a Founder was killed when the ship had a catastrophic systems failure and the Warp core breached. There was no outside involvement; it was simply a grave disaster. The morale of the people has plummeted.
We could add a specific event, but that could result in a duplication of events/effects and that is something I have intentionally tried to avoid throughout the list.

23 Dec 2010, 17:41
Profile WWW

Sorry, i didn't reviewed the texts...

23 Dec 2010, 18:23
Cadet
Cadet

I was poking through the random event texts and noticed there aren't full race texts for all events. Cardassian and Dominion especially seems a little short.

I'd enjoy filling those in when I have the time, but before I get started I wanted to check in first to make sure that is a worthwhile effort and that list is actually going to be used.

Don't want to spend hours only to find out "sorry, random events don't work like that anymore"

13 Oct 2011, 14:57
Cadet
Cadet

As a sample:

Q (A ship is thrown to a random sector. The ship will have to attempt to make it back under its' own fuel reserves, so making alliances with the locals will be essential. The chances of contact with the Borg - irrelevant of where in the Galaxy the ship is sent - are greatly increased)
Space is full of strange, new, lifeforms. Our vessel in sector _____ has encountered an omnipotent lifeform known simply as "Q". The lifeform used his wondrous powers to instantaneously send our vessel to the other side of the Galaxy, and then it simply disappeared. The vessel will get its wish; the crew will surely encounter strange, new, worlds on its journey home...God speed to them, wherever they may be.
One of our ships has been whisked away by some creature calling himself "Q". It would seem he wants to test the mettle of our warriors by stranding them across the galaxy. Bah! Let the far corners of the galaxy tremble as our warriors march home!
Praetor, one of our starships has encountered an unknown alien of unimaginable power. We do not have the details fully prepared yet but it would seem this "Q" has transported our ship clear across the galaxy. It is unclear if the ship will survive but the knowledge it gains will prove invaluable to our cause.
It would seem like an alien has decided to toy with the us by whisking a ship away to the far corners of the galaxy. This "Q" may think this is just a game, but we will turn it to our advantage. A new corner of the galaxy has opened up for us, and its resources are ours for the taking.
A being whose powers rival even those of our Founders has appeared and whisked away one of our starships clear across the galaxy. While the Founders are undecided about what is to be done about this "Q" our task is clear. A new portion of the galaxy is waiting for the Dominion's embrace.

13 Oct 2011, 15:06
Admiral
Admiral

We don't know yet how they'll be implemented, and if all of those (or any) will be used. Random events are not the priority right now.

13 Oct 2011, 15:07
Cadet
Cadet

Iceman wrote:
We don't know yet how they'll be implemented, and if all of those (or any) will be used. Random events are not the priority right now.

/nod but the priorities right now aren't really things I can help with :(

13 Oct 2011, 15:34
Admiral
Admiral

Notice that you _can_ write the texts. All I said was, following your comment, that no one can be sure if they're actually going to be used.
We still need descriptions for Klingon and Dominion ships though. A couple of people have volunteered for that task, but nothing has been submitted yet. Not sure what's the status on that.

13 Oct 2011, 17:42
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

If you take on the ship description job here is a list of the ship.

13 Oct 2011, 19:55

Sorry about my slow reply here. As Iceman said above, you can write the texts if you want to. Whilst the vast majority of the text has personally been written myself, some of the event texts and even whole randoms have been written by various other contributors. You're perfectly welcome to join the ranks.

As per Iceman's other comments though, we don't know how the randoms will work. We don't even know if they will work. The whole point of the list is simply to come up with as many ideas as possible for potential randoms. When the time comes, we'll try to add them all in one by one. If we get to one that we can't program in, then we'll modify it and try to make it work. But if we can't, then we'll scrap that particular random and move onto the next. So it's important to have as big a pool of potential randoms, since the more we have, the more likely it is that at least some of them will be useable. Plus it will help to reduce tedium and predictability in the game.

22 Oct 2011, 23:25
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Oh... I didn't even notice this thread! I posted an events idea in the pre-release thread.

OK, basics. This is not a specific event but more a description of a type of event. There was always planet deterioration and planet destroying events. I always felt that, while these events did put spice into the game and put some randomness in there I always felt that killing a planet (even if it was just making it permanently uninhabitable) was rather imbalancing.

My suggestion is make most of these planet deteriorating effects effectively 'anti-terraforming'. It would either turn a planet into one of the pre-terraformed (red numbered) worlds, or into another type of world that isn't normally shown. Probably with a rather high terraforming level. This would be a serious inconvienience... especially if it happened to be the only habitable planet in a system, but not permanently debilitating. Just send in the colony ships again.

If it's a planet destroying event you could give warning ahead of time (including possibly extending the warning time based on the scanner level of the system) and give a chance of mitigating the effect. If it was an asteroid impact you could station ships in system and over time reduce the effect of the event by a level based on the firepower of the ships and orbital batteries. Even a low tech race might be able to place a few ships in system, enough to grade it down from planet destroying to planet debilitating (basically an Extinction Level Event) event.

If it were a solar event you'd probably have to build some one shot (and goes away after the event is dealt with) device to counter it, or increase research in system to find a 'cure' for the sun. For that you'd probably need some sort of local system counter for how much research has been generated for that and how much is needed.

Sound feasible with the current game system?

25 Feb 2012, 16:09

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
You may be dismayed to know that currently, there is no plan for teraforming in this new game. It's a shame because I liked that aspect of BOTF I. I agree, that sudden planet disasters without warning aren't very realistic in many cases.

26 Feb 2012, 05:31
Cadet
Cadet

Actually it could well be realistic... if unlikely... that there was no warning or no way to prevent/mitigate it. I was mainly thinking about game balance, not realism. If it is allowable for that kind of random event I think it should be disallowed early in the game. If you have two systems and suddenly one planet is destroyed after you spent ages improving local conditions.... that's pretty much game over (unless you are extremely lucky from then on!). It just seems so much luck, with no skill to balance it. Pure luck as a major factor in strategy games annoys me. Fine as part of skill, random damage, random to hit, random diplomacy sure. but all these are affected by how well you've played the game, how well you've improved your race/ships etc. Suddenly dropping a 'Oops, your planet just blew up' event seems just wrong to me.

26 Feb 2012, 17:04
Crewman

Hi, I think that events should be random (using a menu?) authorized or not authorized by the player himself, so it solves the problem of who does not want them certain random events.

26 Feb 2012, 19:28
Reply to topic   [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next