View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 04 May 2024, 02:27

Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Systems and building thread 
Cadet
Cadet

This is some good stuff. I suggest a minor change to the names of the kinds of bases.

1. Depot
2. Outpost I
3. Outpost II
4. Orbital I
5. Orbital II
6. Spacedock

Since they're all starbases there shouldn't be a single type called Starbase. My other suggestion is that instead of having "update" you have expand. The depot and outpost should both be ground based and a ground based facility can be easly expanded without updating everything. The orbital office in the Star Trek movies had what looked like modular sections, so it should be expandable without upgrade as well. However, I think spacedock shouldn't be expandable, only upgradable. Spacedock wasn't shown with any modular sections and isn't the sort of structure you can just slap new sections. It's only enhancement option should be to upgrade it, or completely replace it.

So you can have expantion as a cheap way to increase ability. But for the facility to be practicle over a long time period you are still going to have to upgrade it eventualy. But such facilities should have so a great scale of power that upgrades shouldn't be required near as much as they will be with ships.

24 Aug 2005, 06:19
Xenolinguistics Engineer
Xenolinguistics Engineer

speeking of outposts and bases, im not too sure about the whole orbital name maybe something else? might get none trekies confused with orbital bateries? Anyway will the romulan bases cloack? they are supposed too. Ive heard several mentions (especially in tng) of this. If were going to be all about sticking to cannon? It seems right, and if this is done then some adjustments will be needed to their sheild or weapons in order to reballence the game? also will ships be able to enter certain bases, ex space dock?

Last edited by zahadoom on 25 Oct 2005, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.

29 Sep 2005, 14:37
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

I don't know the answer to any of those questions, but as for the names, how about these:

1. Depot
2. Science Station
3. Outpost
4. Resupply Station
5. Ship Repair Facility
6. Spacedock

These names might need re-ordering, and i'm not 100% sure if science stations will be in the game or not.

It was planned a while ago though that sciene stations would be something that you could build near Nebulas, anomalies etc, so you could research them.

Since they are 'permanent' structures, they would give higher research bonuses than an ordinary ship could give you. They haven't been mentioned in a while though, so I don't know if they are still in or not.

29 Sep 2005, 21:14
Profile WWW
Xenolinguistics Engineer
Xenolinguistics Engineer

i like those better:)

25 Oct 2005, 18:53
Crewman

would be pretty cool if race had difference like for an example Dominion would star off different from other race,they would have to find where the Vorta and Jem Hadar are to start having a military power however they would have the advantage of being able to hide they'r homeworld,they would have major advantage to but would have to build ketracil white facility to control the jem hadar. just an idea

Cardassian homeworld would be low in ressource forcing them to annex other planet

federation would have major advantage in diplomacie and alot of other option that other race wouldnt have

28 Sep 2007, 03:45
Crewman

Well, what about two knds of fixed stations plus one kind of "race" station?

Example:
The first kind of station is a supply-outpost that can be upgradet. It will give you a boost for your shipbuilding and will increase the range of your ships. It also is a station that will increase the trade income and where you can repair your ships.

1 - Supply-depot
2 - Ship Repair Facility
3 - Outpost I
4 - Outpost II
5 - Space-Dock

This are the 4 upgrades availble for this station and this kind of station fits well backbone systems.

The second kind of station is the Battle-Station. This station is not meant to help your ships be supplied, but it will deal a great defense station but wont give you the nice abilities of the "supply-station". This station will increase the effectivity of your orbital batteries, will coordinate ships that are within the sector and give them additional data of the enemy so that they can fight better (battle bonus) and you may have additional fighters spreading out for defending purposes. This station holds a large sensor range that can decloak enemy ships at short range and it has got superior offensive and defensive abilities.
This station is more suitable for frontline systems.

1 - Listening post
2 - fighter-station
3 - Battlestation I
4 - Battlestation II
5 - Deep Space Battlestation

Thirs kind-station:
This station is special and only availbe for one of the races and can be added as a second station parallel to the other "large" station that was build in the sector:

Federation: - Research Station/sector control (enhanced sensor range + [research-ouput OR defensive bonus]+ anti-spionage/sabotage abilities )
Klingons: - Prison station (higher resource outcome + industrial bonus + ship building bonus)
Romulans: - Tal-Shiar-Outpost (enhanced sensor range + defensive bonus for system + spionage/sabotage bonus)
Dominion: - Kethracel-White-Facility ( offensive + defensive boost for the system + industrial bonus)
Cardassian: - obsidian facility (defensive boost for system + spionage/sabotage abilities + ship building bonus)

08 Jul 2009, 23:49
Crewman

I wish it could be relative... Like in Star Trek First Contact, Earth has 9 billion people... and I imagine Mars probably had around 1 billion..

In the whole universe it could be larger values, but so as not to have so many employment factors in the production screen, simply make it so that it costs 100 million per each bar for food, industry, energy, intel or research. Just 335 million in the original BOTF for Earth just seemed silly... Never really understood why that was done... Along with colonies only every really reaching around 300 million at most on average, sometimes 500 if you were lucky... Mods were handy with it but still you could only max a planet at 255 million.

10 Aug 2009, 15:35
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
They might have started with a low population number on Earth due to that Star Trek story line of a global war before first contact.
:borg:

10 Aug 2009, 21:07

I've actually already increased the population sizes of the planets in Supremacy, and this update was released as part of the May update. The problems used to be even worse than they are now. Don't assume things won't change again. :wink:

14 Aug 2009, 14:38
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

hey i don´t know if this is the right place or even if it had been mentioned somewhere else. I mean i am relativly new to this but have red a lot of stuff in here but can´t remember having red about my idea.
I just red some comparison to civilisation where it´s important to reach a strategic place at first to get stones or ivory or something. Botf is lacking of something like this, besides of it´s dilithium, energy and food bonuses what makes some systems of economic interest.
I don´t know if somebody knows Galactic Civilisations but there some planets contain some special things that boost industry or science, too.
What about implementing that to botf 2 too. Something like ruins on a planet with it´s own icon that brings some resarch benefits. Of couse this should be rare coz there are already facilities that boosts that and the special buildings of the minors, but i think giving some systems the random possibility to inhabit some ruins or geolocial anomalies that bring bonuses in research too would bring some interesting point to make some systems of strategic interest.
i guess i could make a list of some specialities that could be placed through out the galaxy by random, canon from trek for example an iconian portal.
What you think? Please tell me if this had been discussed somewhere else.

23 Sep 2009, 11:56

Mike (The developer) has actually already stated that he's interested in using some of the ideas that are in the Civilization, Sins of a Solar Empire, and Galactic Civilizations series of games.

Finding ruins or something like you say would probably work best as a random event - and it just so happens that we plan to include a random events system in the game. In fact, the game already has one random event programmed in; a religious ceremony that halts all production in a system for 1 turn. This random event has a 1% chance of happening every turn, and was implemented as a test to see whether the system would work as intended.

I've actually compiled a big list of potential random events for the game, along with race-specific messages that would be displayed whenever the event occurs. It isn't finished (Even though i've been working on it for three years), but I covered as many different ideas as I could think of, plus other people have made their own contributions, so there is a broad range of different events and effects. This doesn't mean they *will* all be in the game, they're just ideas of what *could* be included. You can find my list Here.

I could quite easily add your idea to the list. Lots of people have contributed ideas over the years. :smile:

23 Sep 2009, 13:01
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

I have developed system based upon Moo 2 i will post whole thing later today so you can hit critics.

23 Sep 2009, 13:20
Cadet
Cadet

yes i like the random event manager but i didn´t ment it to be an event more then a continuing advantage positioned to a system making it of special interest. So blocking the system or speed up to reach it first with your colony ships makes it more fun and part of strategic gameplay.
Therefore a special icon would be used to indicate which planet contains the special structure or geological formation or what ever, that brings the benefit for research, espionage or what ever is possible. As i said i know there are already bonuses for energy and food but maybe its even possible to have special things even for that. I know that´s a whole lot of programing, but maybe brings an additional point of interest to some even smaller systems.
I think the random events bring only benefits for some turn but implementing this things would be a all-time benefit. For example a planet has maraji cristalls that brings benefit in research all the time you inhabit that planet. You can think of much other things.
I hope i could make clear where i wanna go with that suggestion. Just wanna present some systems with additional benefit oc cause only random and seldom or if you wish bound to a special systems i guess there are some facts we know from the series about special systems or planets we use.
Again this is for making the decision, which system i wanna go colonize next, more interesting and more part of a strategical decision.

23 Sep 2009, 15:54
Admiral
Admiral

There is a game that uses archeological sites in systems to increase research and give some form of bonuses - and it's not crappy GC2. :grin: I'm hoping Mike will have some new stuff to implement soon, with some ideas from that game. He's been a bit quiet lately, hopefully working on Sup.
Basically, the first race to explore a system with an archeological site gets some research points (that are added to their pool) and some story points. The story points are used to unlock special events at given thresholds: a racial tech, an ancient fleet, a legendary leader.

24 Sep 2009, 10:15
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

I had something similar in my head long time ago. What bothered me in old Botf and now in Supremacy is strategic value of star systems. The only one thing is important and that is max number of population per system, systems with larger population will have more research, more industry, more intel, more food... making systems with low max population almost irrelevant for game ( there is large number of small systems). I agree with you in some way Viceadmiral, it would be nice to have few more bonuses, maybe something like latinum deposit: +10% on trade lines income but I was more thinking on default bonuses or modifiers for each system something like in old Master of Orion 2. In that game each system had his own default values which are disparate to bonuses....

Ok, this is my proposal, i am open for suggestions and critics and remember this is only a basic idea

EDIT-SEE LAST POST

Last edited by Zeleni on 24 Sep 2009, 20:52, edited 2 times in total.

24 Sep 2009, 11:18
Admiral
Admiral

The planetary bonuses (food, energy) aren't really helpful in smaller systems; they're cute, but that's all, they're almost irrelevant globally. The system bonuses are better (Dilithium, Raw Materials). Still, smaller systems aren't very interesting like you said. MoE tried to fix this in the defition files by increasing pop caps in a global way. At the time I said IMO it wasn't a good fix. It doesn't solve much. Larger systems benefit the most; more pop, more colony management, etc. This has to be fixed in the code, by setting a minimum planet and/or pop count for system generation.

Will read your file when I have the time. One comment though. Trade route count depends on system pop. So Latinum deposits don't really benefit smaller system all that much.

24 Sep 2009, 12:38

A fix would need to be based purely on max system population (Before modifiers) and not necessarily on planet types/number, or this would adversely affect the creation of small systems, (Number of planets not population) thereby reducing system variety. It would also need to allow for exceptions, because Omarion, home of the Founders, has only one planet, albeit a giant one. A number of minor races only have one planet in their systems as well, although I tried to reduce the incidence of this by adding some randomly generated planets in some of their systems.

24 Sep 2009, 13:27
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

what Zeleni is trying to implement is an complete new system defining a system if i see it right.

I am sugesting random additional bonuses but we could even think of mali like firestorms or electromagnetic interferences that disturbs energyproduction but boosting research. I don´t wan´t to complicate it too much but as icman mentioned making even small systems much more of interest through this small things.

for example taking the firestorms of Bersalis III. They could be bound to this planet if this system is defined or could be placed as a random event to any say barren planet besides of homesystems. If you colonize it you get a boost of energyproduction by using it, or you get a research bonus for analyzing it but a malus coz it´s interupting your energy grid.
Or you find natural beryllium cristalls that benefit energy as well.

24 Sep 2009, 14:12
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Quote:
Will read your file when I have the time. One comment though. Trade route count depends on system pop. So Latinum deposits don't really benefit smaller system all that much.

Latinum deposits are independent from trade routes, they represent direct bonus to systems tax output for empire treasury.
You didn't have time to read completely my doc so we will continue to chat later once you read it. Cheers

This is only raw idea i would like to make complete system but i need help, volunteers? :grin:

24 Sep 2009, 14:32
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

New document dedicated to star systems with Moe's comments:

Attachments:
File comment: Planetary system
Values.doc [35.5 KiB]
Downloaded 323 times

24 Sep 2009, 19:32
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

I was bored so i did little icons for possible new bonuses in the game. :wink:

-from left to right: ancient artefact, rare crystal and latinum deposit-

24 Sep 2009, 21:24
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Looks good. We could use one for fast food and processed food products.

It will decrease lifespan by 20 per cent and increase medical expenses by
100 per cent. You end up treating all the type II diabetics that can not fit
in there Starfleet uniforms anymore.
:klingon:

25 Sep 2009, 03:00
Admiral
Admiral

Matress_of_evil wrote:
A fix would need to be based purely on max system population (Before modifiers) and not necessarily on planet types/number, or this would adversely affect the creation of small systems, (Number of planets not population) thereby reducing system variety. It would also need to allow for exceptions, because Omarion, home of the Founders, has only one planet, albeit a giant one. A number of minor races only have one planet in their systems as well, although I tried to reduce the incidence of this by adding some randomly generated planets in some of their systems.

Hmmm. Disagree. Omarion is the typical one planet system. It has a population of 180/200. That's enough as a minimum; even something like 150 is ok. Only one thing has to be done, whenever a system is created, if max pop is below that threshold, create it again. Imposing a minimum # of planets would prevent possible "infinite" loops during this process (and decrease average creation time of course). Smaller systems are crap; the Area of Influence is small or nill; trade routes are few or non-existent; etc. With empires and minors both expanding, these systems are a trap.
Diversity is largely over-rated.

25 Sep 2009, 09:17
Admiral
Admiral

Zeleni wrote:
Latinum deposits are independent from trade routes, they represent direct bonus to systems tax output for empire treasury.

Sorry. I obviously meant the rare crystals, which affect trade routes.

25 Sep 2009, 09:20
Admiral
Admiral

Zeleni wrote:
I agree with you in some way Viceadmiral, it would be nice to have few more bonuses, maybe something like latinum deposit: +10% on trade lines income [/color]

:borg:

25 Sep 2009, 09:57
Cadet
Cadet

1. I have just came up with another great idea. Why don't we create an potion to automate system structure production ( when turned on the AI will automatically build structures in a system. )

2. In Events manager there should be an ability (like in Botf1) that by dubble-clicking a report of a structure being finished the game would automatically open a system menu in that system (u dubble-click and event ( Federation replicators constructed in Sol --> the system menu opens setting Sol as system currently being browsed)

Below are corrections i would do to jigalypuffs bonuses
[quote="jigalypuff"]
klingons
Hunting Grounds +1 morale (any system) + X food

Cardassians
Labour Camps +1 dilitium (dilitum system) , -X Morale

Romulans

Reman mines +2 dilitium (Romulus system only) , -X morale

Mines (metal?) +X raw materials

Last edited by Zweistein000 on 25 Sep 2009, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

25 Sep 2009, 13:55

Automated system production IS already planned. It will however require an AI system before it will work - and the AI won't be ready for about a year. The AI is likely to be the single most complex piece of programming in the game which is why the long wait.

Once it's implemented, you'll be able to hand over structure production in your colonies to a AI-controlled system governor that will automatically decide which structures to build in whichever system(s) it is given control of. Players will be able to create predefined lists of structures for the governor to follow or simply hand over total control of their colonies to the governor. Players will be able to make changes to the governors decisions whenever they want though, and will also be able to turn the governor on or off whenever they want to.

Mike has coined the term "macromanagement" to refer to this flexible approach to the level of micromanagement that players can choose to have. It has always been one of the main features that he intends to include in the game, and will mean that players can tailor the gameplay to exactly their preferential level of involvement, freeing them up to do more of what they want to do and less of what they don't. :smile:

Mike is also planning to greatly improve the events notification screen by colour-coding the information (Possibly based on player-set colour schemes) so information is more readily available to players. For instance, attack reports could be coloured red whilst peace treaties could be coloured green.

As for the structures, most of these have already been implemented in the game, although they have different bonuses and requirements to what you suggest. You can find a copy of all of the ingame structures in Dafedz's Database. Click the links in the Empire structures section on the left to view the structure stats.

The Klingon Hunting Grounds that you suggested are the Targ Breeding Grounds in Supremacy. They provide a +25 food bonus.

The Cardassian Labour Camps that you suggested are the Forced Labour Commune in Supremacy. They provide a +30% Raw Materials bonus in subjugated systems.

The Romulan Reman Mine that you suggested has the same name in Supremacy. It is a late-tech structure that produces a +5 Dilithium bonus. it is one of the best Dilithium-producing structures in the game, but its late-tech availability means it is difficult to acquire.

There are no mines as such in the game, but there are lots of different Raw Materials extraction structures in the game, such as the Cardassian Ore Processing Rig, the Cardassian Particle Fountain, the Federation Mining Corps, the Federation Harvesting Complex, the Federation Particle Fountain, the Klingon Mining Prison, the Klingon Dilithium Gulag, the Romulan Mining Program, the Romulan Geo-Survey Commission, the Dominion Mining Guild, the Dominion Asteroid Sweeper, the Dominion Particle Fountain, the Desalination Plants, the Barzan Toxic Refinery, the Bre'ellian Mining Corporation, the Capellan Mineral Reserve, the Dreman Commodities Brokers, the Horta Ore Extraction Plant, the Kreetassan ore Refinery, the Lisseppian Commercial Hub, the Malcorian Geo-Studies Centre, the Malon Traffickers, the Markalian Smuggling Cartel, the Skrreean Geological Survey, the Orion Syndicate, the Quarren Recruiting Compound, and the Xepolite Trade Franchise.

25 Sep 2009, 14:08
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

@Zeleni:
My comments.

Attachments:
Values Zeleni.doc [43.5 KiB]
Downloaded 305 times
26 Sep 2009, 19:04
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples

LATINUM DEPOSITS: I would see to send a Transport Ship to a planet for the Latinum collect "remote" (example based on Space Empires 5) and add the function: collect Latinum (as the function Collect Deuterium, for example)

you should rename and replace ANCIENT ARTIFACTS by ALIEN ARTIFACTS

RARE CRYSTALS- System with rare crystals generates +10% or 20% income from trade routes, this bonus is random and is determined at beginning of the game.

I think if some planets are not owned by the minor races and have some RARE CRYSTALS, should do the same thing with Transports regarding the LATINUM DEPOSITS and add the function: collect crystals

01 Oct 2009, 13:02
Crewman

Are moons going to play a role in the game?Will they be colonizable?Are you guys considering terraforming?Its to bad if you will not be able to mine asteroid belts and nebuleas and such. :sad:

06 Oct 2009, 14:31
Reply to topic   [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next