View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 24 May 2024, 19:06

Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Race pictures for the game (2.5 mb loading) 
Ensign
Ensign

if you ever play Startrek Kilagon the Pakled suck you should see what they call them LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

you should say the Pakled ships and techoly is 9999999999999th to none (rubish ally to have lol)

02 Oct 2005, 15:14
Profile WWW
Crewman

Sorry for the reply at such a late stage, but I just picked up something that no one has noticed in the Lurians description.

Line 2>The Lurians rarely speak unless necessary.

Actually, it was a running joke all through DS9 that Morn was constantly talking everyone's ears off - the main characters were contantly refering to stories Morn told, telling Morn to be quiet (usually Quark) or foir instance the episode where O'Brien approaches Bashir at the bar and Bashir thanks him for saving him from listening to Morn's problems.

Although he never spoke on camera, he apparently was always talking. So perhaps that sentence should be removed.

03 Oct 2005, 20:22
Profile ICQ YIM
Cadet
Cadet

Update, Right.....

I hate to say so but I made very little progress in regards to the third batch. The move to university not to mention the study has kept me busy and is likely to keep me busy in the future. This explains my recent inactivity on these forums as well.

I will gladly post what I have and send what I have done to Jigaly, but there is little realistic possibility of me continuing as I simply do not have the time. I am willing therefore to accept possible corrections to this latest batch but I will advance no further.

If anyone else would like to continue my work on the third batch, then please feel free. I would appreciate it if the first and second batchs which were finished and corrected to remain unaltered as they were my work and I am still rather proud of them.

Last edited by Mangan on 28 Oct 2005, 00:33, edited 2 times in total.

28 Oct 2005, 00:28
Cadet
Cadet

Quote:

Akaali

The Akaali are a pre-industrial society a few centuries from warp-capable spaceflight and therefore are wary of alien contact. While still a primarily agrarian society, this is not to say that their methods in farming and medicine are not without merit for a species of their level of sophistication.

Akritirians

The Akritirians are a warp-capable civilisation ruled by an oppressive government. They are humanoid race distinguished by their slight forehead ridging. The Akritirian criminal justice system is considered cruel and draconian by the standards of most other races; punishment is often imprisonment on an anarchic prison satellite where inmates are fitted with a neural device that heightens aggression and turns prisoners against one another.

Aldeans

Aldea is a planet surrounded by an aura of myth. The advanced Aldeans protected their home world with a highly sophisticated planetary defence field that also acts as a cloak. This defence however comes at a cost; the cloaking device has over centuries emitted radiation that has caused long-term chromosomal damage; they are now incapable of reproducing naturally. Diplomatically, they are isolationists preferring to live in safety and security behind their defence shield.

Alsaurians

The Alsaurians are a relatively peaceful humanoid people. Beneath their quiet and pleasant demeanour, they seek fiercely to preserve their independence and are diplomatically uncooperative out of fear that they would lose their freedom.

Ankari

The Ankari are a humanoid species that possess sophisticated warp technology. They are superstitious, harbouring tremendous respect for a species of nucleogenic creatures that exist in an alternate spatial realm. Their ships are fast and difficult to detect. The Ankari are generally friendly.

Antedeans

The Antedeans are an aquatic lifeform hailing from the almost entirely ocean planet of Antede III. They are fully capable of spaceflight though they find the ordeal physically traumatic requiring that they enter a self-induced catatonic state in order to survive the process. Once they have completed transit, they require food in the form of small wormlike animals called vermicula in order to replenish their bodies. The Antedeans are isolationists distrusting the motives of biologically distinct humanoid species will not fight in space due to the incredible discomfort.

Anticans

The Anticans are a large and lupine humanoid race notable for their narrow vertical cranial ridges. They are a carnivorous species preferring to eat their meat alive.
The Anticans have advanced technology including warp capability; this is probably due to their ‘need’ to fight a race called the Selay. Diplomatically, they are difficult at best to deal with due to an inflated sense of superiority and a view of the rest of the galaxy as foolish and barbaric.

Arbazan

A socially conservative culture hailing from planet Arbaza, they are a humanoid species know for their cranial ridges along the eyebrows and nose as well as their sexual repression. It is not uncommon for Arbazans to occupy jobs in the bureaucracy and in research. Due to their conservative moralistic ways, they are seen to be arrogant thus making diplomatic overtures difficult.

Argrathi

A highly suspicious race governed by an organisation called the Argrathi Authority, they are known amongst the galaxy for their unique methods of punishing crime. Punishment involves implanting artificially created memories of prison sentence within the convict thus inflicting the desired effect without the need for prisons and associated infrastructure as well as the expenditure of time. This has been a controversial punitive measure considering that many have been punished in this way simply for their curiosity. This only proves the paranoia of the Argrathi.

Atreans

Atrea is an old planet with a cooling molten core. The native Atreans are therefore highly skilled in a variety of scientific fields so that they may combat the inevitable aging of their planet. They are generally friendly to most species seeing contact as a chance to improve their knowledge.

Axanar

The Axanar are an androgynous species that breathe a nitrogen-methane atmosphere as well as enjoying a lifespan of 400 years. The Axanar Zymuth Gland produces
triglobulin that is reputed to have properties medically and as an aphrodisiac. They are peaceful and friendly diplomatically and when necessary will defend themselves with their advanced ships and technology.

Bandi

The Bandi are the nomadic inhabitants of Deneb IV. They appear to be little different from humans except for their stringy greyish white hair. Oddly, they are one of the few inhabitants of the galaxy who have no desire whatsoever to explore the galaxy instead being perfectly content with their own planet. While they appear a simple people due to their lack of advanced technology, they are not above using aggressive and deceptive tactics in obtaining what they want.

Baneans

The Baneans are a relatively pleasant people despite the fact that they have endured a series of incidental wars with the Numiri, with whom they had previously shared a homeworld. They have a strict legal system whereby murderers are forced every 14 hours to endure the last memories of a victim’s life by means of inserting memory engrams. They have advanced technology especially in medical fields as well as strong warships.

Barkonians

The Barkonians are a pre-industrial medieval society. They are humanoid in appearance distinguished by their patterned forehead. They are curious about science and the world around them and are highly skilled in metallurgy for a species of their sophistication. They are wary of outside species mostly out of fear and awe.

Barzans

The Barzans are a humanoid species with a light copper to tannish colour skin, a high forehead and a receded hairline giving their species a feline appearance. The Barzan home world is resource poor and the inhabitants possess a moderate level of technology. The only interest alien species have with the Barzans is in the unstable and commercially unusable Barzan wormhole with one entrance stuck firmly in proximity to the Barzan home system and the other entrance shifting randomly from time to time across the galaxy. This wormhole is a source of interest from spatial scientists.

Bilanaians

The Bilanaians are a humanoid race native to Bilana III. They have been experimenting with alternative methods of faster than light travel. This has led to the rather promising theory of using a Soliton-based wave that would carry ships between two points in space. The Bilanaians are somewhat advanced excelling particularly in propulsion theory. They are usually friendly with other species.

B’omar

The B’omar are an extremely officious and xenophobic race governed by the B’omar Soveriegnty. They are extremely protective of their territory usually maintaining closed borders due to their suspicion of outsiders. They are effective at colonisation.
The B’omar are difficult to deal with diplomatically though meaningful progress is not impossible.

Please feel free to consider alterations.

28 Oct 2005, 00:30
Crewman

Nice list, whilst browsing noticed a bad description with some minor errors, as quoted below

Quote:
The Mintakans are a humanoid species native to the Mintaka system. Their physical appearance and anatomy looks a lot in ways like other Vulcanoid races, but their brains are somewhat behind compared to most other Vulcanoid species. The Mintakans have barely reached the Bronze Age state of technology, and therefore are of little use for other species. Other races with advanced technology are sometime seen in the eyes of the Mintakans as gods, although they gave this belief in the supernatural millennia ago up. Because of this, they quickly offer membership treaties to other races with space flight capabilities. Their weapons are in the form of bows and swords, and therefore wouldn’t pose a thread against advanced weaponry.

Ive listed some of the obvious errors below

"Their physical appearance and anatomy looks a lot in ways like other Vulcanoid races"
Should be:-
Their physical appearance and anatomy are similar to other Vulcanoid races

"although they gave this belief in the supernatural millennia ago up"
very badly worded and is to generic for an entire minor race

"Their weapons are in the form of bows and swords, and therefore wouldn’t pose a thread against advanced weaponry"
Badly worded, weird characters and the word 'thread' should be 'threat'

I think this entire description should be rewritten in better english

Creator of Tiberian Sun Retro
http://www.tiberiumsun.com/tsr

11 Jan 2006, 03:37
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

i agree, does anyone want to volunteer and do the job. :wink: Thanks for the looking through and checking the list, SMIFFGIG! :wink:

Q: The trial never ended. We never reached a verdict. But now we have. You're guilty. Picard: Guilty of what? Q:Of being inferior.

11 Jan 2006, 15:48
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I'll give it a shot, but just so you know, I only saw the episode with the Mintakans once awhile ago, most of what I worte I got from what was written already, I just tweaked it up a bit. Its from the feds perspective. If theres any suggestions to make it better feel free to say them.

The Mintakans are a humanoid species whose physical appearance and interanl anatomy are in many ways similar to other Vulcanoid races. The only exception seems to be with their mental capacity, which is not as advanced as other, similar races. Technologically the Mintakans have only reached what we would term the Bronze Age. As a result, other technologically advanced races who have contacted small groups of Mintakans in the past have been viewed as gods, even though it is believed most Mintakans gave up the belief in the supernatural in their distant past. With only their bows and swords to protect them, they would not stand a chance against an advanced enemy. We should attempt to befriend them quickly, before a more aggressive power discovers them.

13 Jan 2006, 01:41
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Quote:
We should attempt to befriend them quickly, before a more aggressive power discovers them.

What about the Prime directive though?

Perhaps it should say "we should attempt to protect them", rather than befriend them. Or am I being too nit-picky?

13 Jan 2006, 14:02
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I would also volunteer to aid in the field of grammar. While not being a native English speaker I consider my knowledge of the English language good enough to remove any spelling errors or typos.

Also, just wondering, is this list a pure federation description or is it a general description of the races (which will be used by all the majors)?

13 Jan 2006, 15:25
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

currently it will be used for all empires.

Q: The trial never ended. We never reached a verdict. But now we have. You're guilty. Picard: Guilty of what? Q:Of being inferior.

13 Jan 2006, 18:36
Ensign
Ensign

I don't know what the current status of the game/demo is, but looking back over what has been written so far I can see a number of spelling and grammatical things which could be strengthened (I hope no one takes offense to my saying this because I most definitely don't mean any). Writing has always been one of my talents--perfect score on the GRE writing, trained university-level writing tutor, current English language instructor for ESL students, columnist, and two written books in the works for publishing. If it's needed or wanted, I could edit what's written so far or assist in writing anything that as yet needs to be written. For an example, I figured I'd present my take on the Mintakan race description. The latest version I see in the thread is:

The Mintakans are a humanoid species whose physical appearance and interanl anatomy are in many ways similar to other Vulcanoid races. The only exception seems to be with their mental capacity, which is not as advanced as other, similar races. Technologically the Mintakans have only reached what we would term the Bronze Age. As a result, other technologically advanced races who have contacted small groups of Mintakans in the past have been viewed as gods, even though it is believed most Mintakans gave up the belief in the supernatural in their distant past. With only their bows and swords to protect them, they would not stand a chance against an advanced enemy. We should attempt to befriend them quickly, before a more aggressive power discovers them.

My take on this would be:

The Mintakans appear to be a Proto-Vulcan species, displaying numerous anatomical similarities yet lacking the advanced mental capacities displayed by other such races. Despite only having achieved a Bronze Age technological status, religious beliefs in supernatural forces have been abandoned as a cultural mainstay in favor of reason and deduction. Lacking any form of modern weaponry, Mintakan society could not readily defend itself from foreign aggressors.

In truth, I'm not sure how many "Vulcanoid" (the term Vulcanoid refers to a hypothesized type of asteroid) races there are or what capabilities they have, but I was just going with what's posted here. Also, I went with a pretty bland ending since apparently a single description will be used for all powers, but if possible the Federation might want to include something more along the lines of what's been posted previously regarding protecting a primitive culture from outside interference whereas pretty much every other power, it seems, would view the Mintakans as target practice. If it would help for me to look these over--or be of any value since the game might be essentially done already--I guess just let me know.

26 Jan 2006, 03:14
Crewman

Well this sounds really good, but it will also be very difficult to translate that into different languages....

10 Feb 2006, 20:34

Yes, yes it would... :lol:

You're the one that asked for it though! :wink: :lol:

You could always try "cutting it down" - shorten the descriptions down to only the really important bits of information or something, or you could simply write your own versions.

It wouldn't make it the exact same game though, but it would certainly make your life easier...

10 Feb 2006, 20:41
Profile WWW
Crewman

Looks Great!

25 Mar 2007, 22:09
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

This thread is old Burell very old ... if you are inetersted in minor races check Defedz database.

http://www.trekmania.net/temp_files/botf2_races.htm :wink:

27 Mar 2007, 02:27
Crewman

I was wondering. I was looking at the race list and that. Is there going to be any Borg with in the game? I mean the random events for BOTF1 was all right, but i do think it would be nice to see a little bit more of the races. Especially the Borg...be nice to wage war or at least try to make an alliance with them lol.

16 Aug 2009, 04:44

Damn, this thread is old. I've removed the announce status from it now so it's just a simple thread. As long as people stop posting here it'll just fall down the thread list from now on.

Mburell, if you're looking for game info, i'd recommend you have a look at Dafedz's Database. That contains virtually all database information on the game.

Solak, we do intend to have the Borg in the game, but as they haven't been programmed in yet we don't know what the specifics will be. We intend for them to be a random event though. The chances that they will attack as time goes on (And tech advances) will increase. They will attack with small, weak forces at first, but each successive attack wave will become steadily stronger. And if they manage to assimilate a system, that will essentially be the start of a Borg Empire on the map; this system will start to spawn more ships, greatly increasing the speed and strength of their attacks. You won't be able to conduct diplomacy with the Borg though.

If things work out the way we currently intend them to, once the Borg have appeared, Species 8472 may also randomly be triggered, and 8472 could be both a curse and an ally; they will attack anything that gets in their way, both Borg and player alike, but diplomacy *may* be possible with them. But 8472 won't simply wipe out civilizations, they will vaporise the very planets their enemies are based on. So that might mean no more Borg, but it will also mean no planets for players to later recolonise.

I've also stated in my Random Events List that players will be able to set up an anti-Borg alliance with the other Empires, but I honestly don't know if it is possible to set something like this up, or even if Mike (The developer) actually likes this idea. So please do not take it as a given that this particular idea will be in the game. My random events list was also created simply to spawn ideas for what *could* be in the randoms. It is not a list of what *will* be in the game.

By the way, welcome to the forums, Solak. :smile:

16 Aug 2009, 10:48
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Welcome to the forums Solak42.

Yes, this thread is older than I have been a user.

A lot of folks would like the Borg to be playable. That would be rather hard to balance without say just moding there ships over the Dominion.

To have them just show up one day with one big insanely powerful cube is more in keeping with the ST story line. I am not sure how you would do that Enterprise episode where they show up as disembodied extremities at the North Pole. Showing up randomly lends itself to an AI driven random event. We could not expect a human player to wait around for a time when they could appear.

We can give it some thought. They still might have a way to show up early like that but a weak threat without a cube.

16 Aug 2009, 14:29
Reply to topic   [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14