View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 03 May 2024, 18:59

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Netbook Poll For Star Trek: Supremacy 

If You Own A Netbook And Want To Play Supremacy...
You Want To Have The Option To Play The Game On Your Netbook, Regardless Of The Reduced Functionality. 42%  42%  [ 11 ]
You Are Willing To Find An Alternative Way To Play The Game. 58%  58%  [ 15 ]
You Voted Before You Read the Post Below And Wish To Retract Your Vote Because You Are Not Elligible. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 26

Netbook Poll For Star Trek: Supremacy 
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

THIS POLL IS FOR OWNERS OF NETBOOKS ONLY. DO NOT VOTE IF YOU DO NOT OWN A NETBOOK, EVEN IF YOU FEEL STRONGLY ON THIS ISSUE.

Star Trek: Supremacy has a minimum resolution requirement of 1024x768. This minimum is required due to the large amount of information that needs to be displayed onscreen. The only way to reduce it would be to considerably reduce the information visible to players, which wouldn't be a particularly practical nor pretty solution. It would also take a lot of work to implement, which would mean pushing back the development of other features. But it would allow the game to be played at lower resolutions.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem due to the ever-increasing resolution of new monitor models, but the recent surge in the popularity of Netbooks has prompted Mike (The developer of Supremacy) to consider whether people would want to play the game on such low-end computers; Netbooks typically cannot support a resolution as high as 1024x768.

Therefore, if you own a Netbook and wish to use it to play Supremacy in the future, please vote in this poll.

22 Feb 2009, 00:05
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

you might add a third shuffable option like "oh I have not read the text and now I need to discard my vote" :lol:. No really I wasn't expecting it to be for netbook owners only so I clicked right on it. Sorry for that ;).

22 Feb 2009, 08:24
Profile WWW

People are allowed to revote in this poll Mal. I set it that way for the exact reason you mentioned. Unfortunately you cannot retract your selection (Which is why I did the text in red about who should vote) so i'll add an "I voted in this poll before reading the post" option. :lol:

22 Feb 2009, 12:42
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

I was just given an Acer netbook at a Microsoft conference, so I'll be adding support for Windows 7 Multi-Touch and a few other bits. The resolution requirements will stay the same, though--minimum of 728 vertical pixels, 1024 horizontal pixels.

23 Nov 2009, 22:13
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Gratz on the FreeBee

I'm not always on my netbook but when I'm feeling froggy to play I would love to be able to have it support it.

24 Nov 2009, 02:51
Profile WWW

Interesting. Does Supremacy currently support Windows 7 yet Mike? I assume it doesn't since the last update was before the release. Anyways, I ask because i've received reports that some players are having trouble getting the game to load, whilst others have no problems at all. The activation of .Net has been discounted as the cause as well as i've posted instructions on how to activate it in the download and known issues threads, and have been told that they instructions were followed, but the game still doesn't load.

01 Dec 2009, 23:21
Profile WWW
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
Thanks for this post Matress. I am still stuck and cannot run it on Windows 7. I wonder if it might have something to do with the home vs professional version which has some sort of extra programming to allow older software to run. Looking forward to Mike's reply.

And Mike, the next time you're at a conference pick up some net books for the rest of us! :mischief:

CB

12 Dec 2009, 17:19
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Matress_of_evil wrote:
Interesting. Does Supremacy currently support Windows 7 yet Mike? I assume it doesn't since the last update was before the release. Anyways, I ask because i've received reports that some players are having trouble getting the game to load, whilst others have no problems at all. The activation of .Net has been discounted as the cause as well as i've posted instructions on how to activate it in the download and known issues threads, and have been told that they instructions were followed, but the game still doesn't load.

I've been developing Supremacy on Windows 7 for over a year now. It's fully supported.

26 Dec 2009, 06:53
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

I had one of the original 7" eeepc's and I was able to find mods to allow it to display 1024x768 on my own time. I had another game that required that as the min resolution for the exact same method and I was able to find a work around myself.

The newer eeePC's have that mod built in so that it can virtually display a 1024x768 display. My opinion is to get the game working first, then worry about the fringers

19 Jan 2010, 18:29
Crewman

I actually joined the forum because i couldn't get the options or exit to show up on my eeepc.

to answer an above question about windows 7, you might try to save it in a place other than (x86) or any program files. you might try this with other programs that don't work as well.
it works awesome on my desktop.

this is an excellent game, i can't wait for more!
thanks for developing it!

02 Oct 2012, 04:43
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]