View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Sep 2024, 08:31

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Beta Testing 
Crewman

Dont know if this would be a good place to put it, but couldnt find anywhere else!

Here are somethings ive found personally with the game whilst playing (by the way its awesome, i love it just as a game, let alone a sequeal to botf)

The Orders options on ships do not work (or isnt obvious how to do this) therefore you cant terraform or make new settlements

the diplomacy thing isnt finished i guess - even the nausicans joined me with out any persuasion!

I never found another majour race - i only covered the alpha parts of the beta quadrant, is that right?

The music doesnt transition nicely, i dont know if thats a midi thing, or a musical rythemic thing, but constantly changing between planet and space view changed the music so much it became annouying.

Wasnt sure about the religious holiday! do they mention religion on star trek in the federation? the picture of catholic mass in the big medieval cathedral didnt look right either. i know Roddenbury was famously a humanist!

Also, there is alot of stuff like the retail outlet and private farms as part of the federation - what was the thinking on this, i had always imagined that the federation (with their evolved sense of morality) had forgun money and superseeded it with something, but i guess you guys have probably had this debate in an earlier thread.

theres still alot of descriptive stuff to work on, thats cool though! like ship descript, ive seen this in the jobs needed thread.

theres a couple of things like orbital batteries that appear twice in the build list, some of them have basically the same description but with the spelling checked on one.

i think (not sure) that it still said there were starvation in a region when there wasnt, dont hold me to that though.

i would love to get into a battle to see how that panned out! is there an AI hardness level?

Also, i LOVED the splash screens and all that stuff, the interface, the noises, the really really creative ideas for new extra stuff, the size of the map, the broadness of races, the amount of ships and ACTUAL time line correctness, the load time worked well, the diplomacy interface (will be great with other majour races), the ship pictures, the moon feature, the personel, dilithium and reasources feature, and all that stuff was great, AHHH I LOVE IT!!! thank you so much for making this game, i really hope i can help you out on it, its a real honour. Also, is it in the UK that you guys are mostly based? and how long has the project been going on for?

11 Jan 2010, 12:24
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

the game is still in pre-alpha phase, so there is no AI, no battles, no diplomacy, no intel etc. This will eventuality be changed. About staff working on Supremacy the Mike and Kenneth are from US, Matress is Welsh, Vjeko and me from Croatia and Jigg the alpha of this site is from UK I think so in general this is a international crew.

11 Jan 2010, 13:11
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Zeleni wrote:
the game is still in pre-alpha phase, so there is no AI, no battles, no diplomacy, no intel etc. This will eventuality be changed. About staff working on Supremacy the Mike and Kenneth are from US, Matress is Welsh, Vjeko and me from Croatia and Jigg the alpha of this site is from UK I think so in general this is a international crew.

Yep, we're very much a global crew. I think Kenneth and I are the only staff members in the US. We've had a couple graphics guys from the States too (Joel and Slim). Most of the original crew was from the UK, but most of them aren't around much anymore aside from Matress_of_evil (but he's Welsh, so that hardly even counts :lol:).

11 Jan 2010, 15:36
Profile WWW
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

United Federation od Supremacy developers, it has a nice ring to it.

11 Jan 2010, 17:18
Profile YIM WWW
8 of 9, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 001
8 of 9, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 001

ouch, a little harsh on Matress there Mike. After all, as a Romulan Overlord, I'm sure that Matress has an entire Romulan Armada waiting to smite people whenever they utter rude things...... but, as for where everyone is located.... I'm in Canada, I'm sure that ALMOST counts as US (we're basically neighbors :P). :borg:

May... now with expectedly warm weather!

12 Jan 2010, 00:55
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

What?! The motherland is a sovereign country in her own right. Long live the people's republic of Wales! Her enemies will be smitten by by a barrage of Dragons and sheep! :lol:

And for my first act of retaliation, I shall proclaim that Canada is a part of America. Muahahahaaa!

It's not just the team that is global, our memberbase is pretty global too. We have a Google Analytics account so I can see how the forums are doing. Here's the location map of unique site visits from the last week for just the forums (Excluding visits to the main star-trek-games site):

As you can see from the map though, the bulk of our membership is from the US, the UK, Germany, Croatia, and Canada. (In that order)

I've already answered some of your questions via PM, Tomorrownight, so i'll skip those.

The Nausicaans joined you without persuasion because the game has no AI yet. Nothing is controlling them so they can't make any decisions. Not even the other empires can do that yet. So when you play a game, you're quite literally playing against nothing. The AI will be coming at a future date, but is a long way off yet.

Alpha parts of the Beta Quadrant? I think you're a bit confused with the Quadrants there lol. The empires are all automatically placed on the map first, so they will all be in 99% of games. There's a small chance though that the map will generate a map where the empires can't be placed in such a way that they are a preset minimum distance apart. (To allow the empires some room to grow) If this happens, the game will automatically boot out one of the empires (Usually the Cardassians but not always) to make room. Once the empires are placed, it will start placing the minor races if any have been set in the map options.

The system isn't perfect though, and I recently had a PM conversation with Mike about improvements in this area.

I'm surprised you don't like the music transition. We're actually had a lot of compliments on how well it does transition. What precisely is it that you don't like about the transitions?

The music isn't in .midi format either, they are proper .ogg files. We've also got some new music coming in the next update.

The Religious holiday is simply a test of the random events system; Mike put it in just to see if the system works. But yes, Federation religions have been depicted in DS9, and I don't just mean the Bajoran Prophets. There's an episode of DS9 where Sisko invites religious leaders from across the Federation to DS9 to show someone (I forget who) the diversity of the Federation. And there were tons of people and aliens in the scene from all sorts of religions.

The whole point of the Federation is tolerance. If people wish to practice a religion then they can. Even Starfleet had rules that permit crews to practice their faiths, so long as it didn't adversely impact on their duties.

There are a lot of reasons behind the private farms and retail outlets. We KNOW that there are shops and restaurants and farms and all sorts of businesses in the Federation, especially on the colonies. Just off the top of my head I can think of several times when they've been shown in TNG, DS9, and Enterprise. And yes, Star Trek portrayed that money wasn't needed, on Earth, it also showed that there are still currencies in use throughout the Federation. According to Memory Alpha, different currencies that have been mentioned in Trek include: Darseks, Dirak, Dorak, Credits, Frang, Isik, Gold-pressed latinum, Lek, Lita, Quatloo, Renn, and Sinic.

For the ship descriptions, these are mostly done now, they're just not implemented ingame. I think the Klingons are where the bulk of the work is needed, and Dafedz is working on it.

The Orbital Batteries appear twice in the build list because of a bug. One is supposed to obsolete the other, preventing the first one from being displayed. Both Orbital Batteries are needed because of a convention that saves a huge amount of database memory. A future update will fix the bug.

I believe there's a bug in the way the game handles starvation. People don't get killed off correctly. But at the same time, starvation works differently to BOTF anyways. Systems can actually build up stockpiles of food that provides a buffer against starvation. These stockpiles cannot be traded.

You can download the Combat System from Here. The combat system is a separate program and is not tied into Supremacy in any way. It will be merged in at a later date.

It also hasn't been updated in a long while. It's being developed by CdrWolfe, so you'll have to ask him why it's taking him so long. :P

The BOTF2 project - our BOTF2 project - has been going for 6 years, and i've been here for most of it. There were actually 2 previous BOTF2 projects before ours, but both of them failed. I believe one of them was actually French.

Supremacy has been around for about 3 years now. Prior to that, we were developing another game, but the programmer, Gavin, disappeared and took everything with him, almost leading to the collapse of our project. I've never forgiven him for that, and he has in fact tried to worm his way back since then. I certainly won't be forgiving him.

We have also supported/are supporting Birth of the Empires, New Beginnings, Star Trek: Allegiance, and Trek War through the BOTF2 project, so we've actually got a little family of games going. :)

12 Jan 2010, 02:02
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Matress_of_evil wrote:
And for my first act of retaliation, I shall proclaim that Canada is a part of America. Muahahahaaa!
Sweet, as long as we get British Colombia. Can we use their money too? It's much prettier than ours.

12 Jan 2010, 02:46
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

well right now i am living in BC and i don´t like it that much. Why do you think it is so special? Maybe i am in the wrong City but Vancouver is only expensiv.

12 Jan 2010, 05:09
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

viceadmiralv wrote:
well right now i am living in BC and i don´t like it that much. Why do you think it is so special? Maybe i am in the wrong City but Vancouver is only expensiv.

I really liked Vancouver. But it is ridiculously expensive.

12 Jan 2010, 05:51
Profile WWW
Crewman

This is really great, thanks alot for replying in such depth! As you mentioned in the Private message about being able to colonize, but i havnt found the feature - in botf you would click on the ship and a list of commands would allow you to do things such as evade, engage, colonize, terraform etc. but i couldnt get it working on this one, how would you colonize otherwise?

When will the next up date be out? im really looking forward to it.

do you have any idea of a finishing date for the project.

12 Jan 2010, 17:22

Try right-clicking the ship. The orders work via a right-click menu. The game doesn't have many ship commands at the moment though, so don't expect a full command feature set just yet.

The timing of the next update is all down to the power of the mighty Strobel. All we can do is pray and hope that he answers our prayers. :razz:

...Same goes for the finish date of the project actually. :lol:

12 Jan 2010, 20:40
Profile WWW
Crewman

AHHH i cant believe i didnt find that, i was looking for ages, and im sure i did that, but yeah, there it goes it worked! there are some really great ideas in this game, you guys should be really proud! Like being able to name the ships, thats awesome!

ive found that construction ships build outposts, what do transport ships do (they used to do that in botf i think)

12 Jan 2010, 22:49
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Building with construction ships also often crashes the game. Hold off on that for now.
:borg:

12 Jan 2010, 23:50
Crewman

I haven't actually tested the game yet. My computer has been somewhat unstable of late and i need to reinstall windows in the hope it will function properly again.
I just wanted to say that i think it's really great what your doing here.
I still play BOTF often and think that along with star trek armada 1 is 1 of the best star trek games you can have.
I can't wait till i can play a working version of the game and will be looking at the forums from time to time.
And what you all doing here deserves my admirations.
I'm not a so called Trekkie but i like watching the series and some of the games are just awesome.
I hope, and from what i've seen from the trailer i'm confident it will be, supremacy will be overshadowing those great games.
I also have a friend who plays BOTF to. I will make sure he finds this site to :P

15 Jan 2010, 11:34
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Welcome kalyoub. We are glad to have you on-board. Good luck with your computer issues.
:borg:

15 Jan 2010, 11:53
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]