View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 17 Jun 2024, 01:57

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 First Impressions 
Crewman

After playing BotF for ages thought it was about time I had a look at Supremacy, I like it.
So my Impressions after a hundred turns or so:
Ship Range and Fuel Capacity: I really like this feature, though I have found it clumsy to manage a ships fuel. Would it be possible to show the 'fuel tank' of ships when they are beyond auto-refuel range without having to go into the redoply/task force screen?
UI: Very pretty whilst being functional. I like it
Star Map: Would it be possible to tone down the stars on the background in either size or brightness I keep on confusing them for actual stars.... (Silly I know)
Upgrading of Ships and Starbases: From what I gather starbases will be upgraded by sending along further Construction Ships (yet to be implemented). Will Ships be upgradable by sending them back to a Ship Yard (to be implemented)? Just please tell me my Cruiser 1 will not be forever stuck as a Crusier I... I also thought it would be cool if Starbases either had that ability to upgrade ships independently or could assist in doing so.
Colonies: I like the way the starting facilities of a colony automatically improve as the tech advances (not just as better colony ships are used). However I think that if this is used then upgrades should be relatively otherwise older colonies will be forever spending their time upgrading old facilities.
Health: Just what is Population Health (Or science for that matter)? Does it act as a limiter on population growth, that once the population rises above a limit (as set by health) population growth slows right down? Or is the phenomena of large population systems (300-400, or even one 700 pop system I found) increases as expected (say +3-5% per turn) to ~200 then slowing down to only gaining one population unit a bug? As I find it odd a system with a large max population (700) slows down at the same point as a much smaller system. If this is a case of things not being implemented in full/ properly yet my bad, I just couldn’t find anything to explain what health is, and it’s effects.
Upgradable ‘free’ Energy Structures and similar: I like these, they add a wealth of options to consider when evaluating a system. The use of raw materials and its upgrade structures I think is a good addition.
I found answers to a couple of these on the forums, but would it be possible to keep a (brief) Summary of Major new gameplay features compared to BotF (e.g. Fuel Capacity, Population Health), and incomplete/unimplemented features (Upgrades for Ships and Starbases, Diplomacy etc…) on stickied thread so newbies like me can see what is planned, and how some of these new features work. It would definitely help me provide constructive comments.
Keep up the awesome work, it looks fantastic.

14 Jul 2009, 09:51
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Welcome to the forums Cornishman. I will leave it to MOE to answer your questions. He does a more thorough job than I can. :borg:

14 Jul 2009, 12:15
Admiral
Admiral

Cornishman wrote:
Star Map: Would it be possible to tone down the stars on the background in either size or brightness I keep on confusing them for actual stars.... (Silly I know)

Not as silly as you might imagine. Everyone pretty much makes the same observation. :wink:

Quote:
Upgrading of Ships and Starbases: From what I gather starbases will be upgraded by sending along further Construction Ships (yet to be implemented). Will Ships be upgradable by sending them back to a Ship Yard (to be implemented)? Just please tell me my Cruiser 1 will not be forever stuck as a Crusier I... I also thought it would be cool if Starbases either had that ability to upgrade ships independently or could assist in doing so.

IMO, stations (and as a consequence construction ships) are still lacking a real purpose / good implementation.
Since ship upgrades in the game are rather a complete refit, I'm not sure stations, as currently implemented, should have a part in it.
Yes, ships are supposed to be upgradeable in ship yards, so your Cruiser I will be upgradeable to Cruiser II. But, the upgrade system is weird. The ship is actually scrapped, and rebuilt from scratch.

Quote:
Colonies: I like the way the starting facilities of a colony automatically improve as the tech advances (not just as better colony ships are used). However I think that if this is used then upgrades should be relatively otherwise older colonies will be forever spending their time upgrading old facilities.

This is one of the conundrums of the strange upgrade system the game uses. We have to live with it... Making old buildings upgrade automatically would make the whole system kind of useless.

Quote:
Health: Just what is Population Health (Or science for that matter)? Does it act as a limiter on population growth, that once the population rises above a limit (as set by health) population growth slows right down? Or is the phenomena of large population systems (300-400, or even one 700 pop system I found) increases as expected (say +3-5% per turn) to ~200 then slowing down to only gaining one population unit a bug? As I find it odd a system with a large max population (700) slows down at the same point as a much smaller system. If this is a case of things not being implemented in full/ properly yet my bad, I just couldn’t find anything to explain what health is, and it’s effects.

A preparation for some random events like plagues and diseases. And after battle effects and such IIRC.

Quote:
Upgradable ‘free’ Energy Structures and similar: I like these, they add a wealth of options to consider when evaluating a system. The use of raw materials and its upgrade structures I think is a good addition.

They kind of diminish the role of energy in the game too. Plus, since colonizing every star system is actually a good thing in the game, the wealth of options is mostly cosmetic.

Quote:
incomplete/unimplemented features (Upgrades for Ships and Starbases, Diplomacy etc…) on stickied thread so newbies like me can see what is planned, and how some of these new features work. It would definitely help me provide constructive comments.

Hehe, this was actually (finally) implemented some time ago. In the Bug Reports forum.

14 Jul 2009, 12:41
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
On second thought let's have .Iceman take a swing at it.

14 Jul 2009, 14:23
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hey Cornishman, welcome to the forums! :)

Ship fuel/range is likely to undergo changes in the future as you're not the first person to mention this. It's a new system as well, so it's inevitable that there would be changes. As for changing it so you don't have to enter the redeploy screen though, i'm not sure how that would work. There are only two ways I can think of to implement your idea - both of which have downsides. The first one would be to replace the system screen with a ship display. But this would mean losing the system view, unless some option to switch between the two views is implemented. But if you're clicking a button to switch, you're essentially doing the same thing as accessing the redeploy screen anyways. The second way is to add some kind of new box to the screen where this info could always be displayed. But that has downsides because it would mean losing a big chunk of the map to give room to this new screen.

The UI has always been one of the most important parts of the game to Mike (The developer). We're glad you like it. :)

As .Iceman said, a lot of people have mentioned this problem, so you're not alone in thinking that. Myself personally, I don't there's anything wrong with it, but then again i've been using the game for so long i've practically come to ignore the background lol. Mike knows of the problem though, and he's discussed a few ideas with me. These ideas include reducing the brightness of the image, using a different image, or adding a game option to turn the background off completely. I don't know what he has decided to do yet, as he is currently swamped with his "real" job.

As .Iceman said, upgrading ships is more a case of scrapping and rebuilding, rather than simply upgrading. This is because of the way the shiplist is set up though - upgrades represent completely new designs, rather than just adding a couple of new systems to existing designs. This was the only way we could squeeze so many different ship designs into the game without having massive, unwieldly shiplists. Upgrading WILL require you to physically send your ships to a shipyard for upgrading. This does NOT apply to non-combat designs though (Colony Ships, Transports, Hospital Ships, Construction Ships), which will auto-upgrade. As for stations, you will need to send a construction ship to them and initiate the upgrade that way. (So it's the same system as in BOTF)

As .Iceman said, if buildings automatically upgrade, the entire upgrade system would be useless. The system could perhaps do with some kind of tweaking though, so perhaps colonies could start with older tech, but not the oldest tech - eg. colonies would start from 2 tech levels behind. This would mean the colony would still need to develop, but it wouldn't need to develop from scratch. Part of the reason for the current odd-seeming implementation is to artifically slow down the pace of colony development - it simply wouldn't make sense for a new colony to start churning out fleets for instance, when the priority should be on building farms and power plants. I'm sure things will improve over time as people get used to it and more ideas are discussed and implemented though.

.Iceman is correct about the population health stat. Population health represents a modifier that reduces the chances of plagues and diseases afflicting a population - the higher the modifier, the greater the reduction. It also affects how quickly the population will recover once an infection takes hold. Plagues will be random events - they can affect any population at any time. Some structures will also have population health bonuses, such as Federation Clinics. But diseases can have political and sabotage effects/causes as well. Whilst the exact details haven't been nailed yet, it may be possible for ships to accidentaly spread plagues to other systems. This would ave major negative diplomatic implications if you infected another race. Your ships could also help other races treat/cure diseases, which could boost diplomatic relations. Your intel services could also purposely infect other races with plagues to weaken them. The intel system is due to overgo a major overhaul though, and i've been told to keep quiet about what those changes are. We want to keep it a surprise. :wink:

Dafedz, another forum member and a well-known modder of BOTF, has produced a massive database of game information, which you will likely find extremely useful. It wasn't originally designed with Supremacy in mind - it was meant more as a general idea of what BOTF2 *could* be like. But over time he has customised the information to be more specific to Supremacy. This means some of the info may be outdated or wrong, but as a rule of thumb it's the biggest source of game information that you cana access. You can find it Here. Use the links on the left-hand side of the page that loads to accesss different pages of information. You might especially find the second-from the top link the most useful - the one called the "BOTF2 Masterplan". I also maintain a list of known bugs and their fixes Here; this list includes some of the missing/incomplete game features as these are often some of the most asked questions. (Eg. where is the combat system?) I also recently added a list of what you can't yet do in the game due to game features that haven't yet been implemented if you read the download post information.

Thanks for the great feedback, and please keep posting as you have questiosn or ideas. This game is being made by the fans, for the fans, so the more people contribute, the more people will like it. :)

14 Jul 2009, 14:25
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

Matress_of_evil wrote:
As for changing it so you don't have to enter the redeploy screen though, i'm not sure how that would work.
But that has downsides because it would mean losing a big chunk of the map to give room to this new screen.

I think he meant something like displaying the remaining fuel besides a fleet in the starmap when it is out of fuel range. Not a big chunk.

Quote:
This does NOT apply to non-combat designs though (Colony Ships, Transports, Hospital Ships, Construction Ships), which will auto-upgrade.

Yeah, the game is full of contradictions.
Depending on how the difference in resources is handled, there could be exploit potential.

Quote:
The system could perhaps do with some kind of tweaking though, so perhaps colonies could start with older tech, but not the oldest tech - eg. colonies would start from 2 tech levels behind.

This would only kick in at level 4.

Quote:
Part of the reason for the current odd-seeming implementation is to artifically slow down the pace of colony development - it simply wouldn't make sense for a new colony to start churning out fleets for instance, when the priority should be on building farms and power plants.

Isn't this contradictory? The old system, starting at level 1, was the one that slowed down colony development.

Quote:
The intel system is due to overgo a major overhaul though, and i've been told to keep quiet about what those changes are. We want to keep it a surprise. :wink:

:roll:

14 Jul 2009, 20:39
Crewman

about the fuel remaining in oldest version (2/3 months ago) it was showed when a ship was selected, it s not anymore

15 Jul 2009, 09:04

Where exactly are you looking for the indicator, Yorev? I've just checked and the fuel indicator is working exactly as intended, so either you're looking in the wrong place or there's something wrong with your game files.

To view the fuel indicator, select a ship, then click on the redeploy button. A small image of the ship(s) will appear where the system screen normally is. Click one of these images, and three bars will be displayed next to it. Red indicates the hull strength, green indicates the shield strength, and yellow indicates the fuel tanks.

Fuel is only used up once a ship is outside of its fuel range (Indicated by a dotted yellow line) AND it actually moves. A ship can stay indefinitely outside of its fuel range if it doesn't move, and it doesn't use up any of its fuel supplies if it stays within the yellow dotted line. If a ship is running low on fuel, move it within the yellow dotted line for two turns, and it will be fully refuelled. If the fuel tanks run out, the ship will become stranded and the only (Current) way to get the ship back is to extend your fuel range so it encompasses the ship again. (Eg. by colonising a nearby system and building and activating a shipyard) Future updates will add an option to large ships that will allow them to tractor stranded ships back into fuel range.

If you've been looking in the correct place and already knew all the info above, then there might be something wrong with your game files. Go to the game options screen and click on the updater tab, then force the game to perform an update. If it can't find any updates, then you'll need to redownload the game and ensure you update it again. Download the game into a different folder to ensure you don't mix up the game files with your existing game version. (Which could cause bugs and incompatibilities)

Here's a screenie of my redeploy screen, with a ship that has used some of its fuel reserves. Sorry about the thumbnail but the image was too big to fit on the forums. Click it to expand it.

15 Jul 2009, 12:41
Profile WWW
Crewman

i have got it thanks, with your explains

in fact i must click on redeploy button, then select again the ship to see it then click on accept deploy to come back to the map

on the oldest version you had not all those clicks, as soon you were selecting a ship you were seeing the fuel indicator, as far i remind

15 Jul 2009, 14:54
Crewman

Cool, Planetary health is a feature waiting to be implemented :)

So why is system growth slowing to a crawl at ~200-250. Or is this a bug?

16 Jul 2009, 19:56

There isn't anything wrong with the population growth rates; there IS a bug relating to the population growth buildings though - once you build one, the growth rate reduces to 1 population per turn, so I'd recommend you not build any of them for the time being. It's better than it used to be, however; the population growth buildings used to stop ALL growth!

There's a bug with the Habitation Project (Moon Colonising) structures as well. Systems sometimes receive the max population size bonus, but they are unable to actually grow beyond their original size. For the time being, you might want to avoid building those as well.

I'll add these bugs to the known issues thread.

16 Jul 2009, 22:32
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]