View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 25 May 2024, 02:12

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Game still being worked on? 
Cadet
Cadet

I'm sorry to have came back after so long. I simply want to know if the game is still being worked on. I love it so far and would like to see it completed and worked on even with STO around the corner. :bigthumb:

Notice i'm not a noob. I've been here and there for four years in the waiting. So... yeah, I figured I could just ask. :cool:

10 Aug 2009, 21:14
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
If you have not already done so check out the May update. We do not expect code work on the next update to start until at least September. Until then we are working on content, bug hunting and talking about translation to a number of languages.
:borg:

10 Aug 2009, 22:24
Cadet
Cadet

So I’m playing this on a Lan with a few friends.

We can’t figure out how to attack systems after declaring war on them.

So, is their any kind of combat in the game yet? For example, even if it is some kind of automated calculated combat?

11 Aug 2009, 20:36
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Sorry, in the pre alpha there is still no combat. We have talked about a substitute for the combat engine but it is not yet ready. Does that stink or what?

11 Aug 2009, 22:24
Crewman

hey

I dont mean to be bad here guys but what is actually being done atm ? small update every few months (mostly artwork and what not). . . at best the game will be completed around 2050. If theres one person doing all the guts of the work and he isnt willing to allow others to help with the workload then he needs a wake up call. Ive been dying for a sequel to this game and would help out with the small coding knowledge i have. I could get about 10 others who are far more skilled than me to do the same. If you actually want this done in any kind of realistic time frame you need a project manager . . .timeframes, goals, structure and the team to do it. I understand people have RL and nobody is being paid but one man cant build a game of this size and depth, work and still live his life . . .

Evil/Borg is this even the main board for this game and are you in actual contact with the developer on a regular basis?

please dont take this as me having a go, I just wanna know whats actually going on and in what scale.

13 Aug 2009, 19:54
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Welcome to the forums Augustus. The content work is ongoing atm. That itself is a grand project but we are making real headway.
http://www.botf2.com/default.aspx

Mike has been looking for others to help with the coding. It does take a certain skill level. He does not want to spend his entire time look for bugs in someone else's work. So far we did spine off the combat engine work into a separate code project. User Cdrwolfe is doing that. If you are or you know skilled coders willing to help Mike please let us know.

13 Aug 2009, 21:56
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Development has slowed in the last few months because Mike has been enslaved by his boss and working all waking hours on his job; he's absolutely swamped under and simply can't devote time to the game at the moment. He sent me a PM last week saying he thinks he will be able to escape from the clutches of his boss some time around the start of September though.

As Kenneth said though, a lack of programming development does not mean that development has halted completely. Kenneth has almost completed making the models and images of our 400+ ship models, and i've compiled a list of all the typos and other database fixes that need to be made (Thanks to .Iceman and others for reporting them) once the game editor is working again.

Teleon, i'm not sure when you visited the forums last, but as your older posts are dated June 2006 i'll assume it was 3 years ago. Supremacy has come a long way since then, so here's a summary of what has changed with Supremacy in that time:

• The game now has a random event that has a 1% chance of happening every turn. This random is just a test of the system and much more is to come in future.
  • The game now has multiplayer capability. A lobby system is planned as part of a future update to make game connections easier.
  • Multiplayer has a chat system.
  • The game now has an auto-updater that runs every time you load the game. It will automatically download updated files and restart the game for you.
  • All of the Empires are now playable.
  • The game now has even more minor races.
  • The shiplist has expanded to over 400 ship designs.
  • Some very basic diplomacy is now possible. Minor races will join you if you ask them to. The only way to sever such agreements is to declare war though.
  • The game now has more game options/settings.
  • The game has tons of new artwork, models, sounds, and music. The music for Supremacy in particular has been made exclusively for the game.
  • Personnel have been removed from the game. Intel is due to undergo a radical overhaul.
  • The game has been optimised so even huge maps are now playable.
  • The star and nebula name list has been massively increased so games are more varied and systems now always have names instead of numbers, even on huge maps.
  • Ships can now be named and renamed by players.
  • Some UI improvements. The system view now zooms out for large systems and zooms in if the system is small.
  • The map now has a smooth zooming feature via your mouse scroll-wheel.
  • The exploration bug that allowed players to see where minor races are before actually making first contact has been fixed.
  • Max planetary population sizes have been increased.
  • Many new structures have been added to the game.
  • Players can now build stations.
  • Ships now have individual fuel ranges, actually use fuel when they leave their range, and can become stranded if they run out of fuel.
  • The Cardassians were given their own UI, but this had to be removed due to a bug. This will be fixed in a future update. We've also got plans for the Klingon interface.
  • The game now has a credits list that is viewable via the main menu.
  • The game now has a save and load game function. (Game updates may make previous saves incompatible though)
  • The game now scales smoothly with increasing monitor resolutions. The game actually looks better on high resolution screens due to the way it smooths game fonts.
  • The game now has a selectable windowed mode feature, but natively displays in a full screen with invisible window icons.
  • The game generates better error reports if the game crashes.
  • The game was given a new editor, although another, newer one is now being worked on.

You can't attack your friends because there is no "Attack System" option yet, nor is there a combat system. If you want to test the combat system, a separate download is available Here but it is NOT yet multiplayer-capable. The combat system will be merged into Supremacy at a later date, and is being developed by CdrWolfe.

Augustus, one person is working on the core programming, but that isn't because he isn't letting anyone else help. Mike has always been open to offers of help, but the sad fact is that he rarely receives any concrete offers. Many more people are willing to make images or music than are willing to help with the programming. I don't know why this is; it may be people are afraid of programming or think it is too hard. But Mike is willing to teach people how to do programming - and has actually done so for a couple of people on the forums. But still, the offers are unfortunately few and far between. Please don't think that Mike is being lazy of the game because I know for a fact that he isn't. He has put countless hours into the game and rarely gets any praise or thanks for it. Comments such as yours only serve to make life harder for them so please get your facts right before saying things like that.

Mike regularly appears on these forums when he can, but he hasn't been able to very much since May because of his job. He sent me a PM only last week to update me on when he thinks he will be free of his boss. I keep in regular contact with him regardless of what happens though, and am in contact via email and MSN. These forums are indeed the main discussion forum for Supremacy, although we do have another, much less used discussion board Here.

14 Aug 2009, 14:31
Profile WWW
Crewman

Right fair point mate, I can fully understand why something like this would make many ppl with limited knowledge run for the hills. I wont . . ive a degree in computer science, my coding was never the best as tbh coding the crap you had to do in college never appealed to me( Im very willing to relearn and expand on what i know for something like this though).

Either way the offer is there. I can get a few more people involved as I said , Just get me in contact with the man in charge of that side of things.

25 Aug 2009, 22:23
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

User mstrobel is the person to talk to about coding. He did have some things he was asking for help with. Some of it sounded rather tedious but necessary. I would have taken it on myself but I am still working on models for the combat engine and in-game 2D images from the models. It would be best to send Mike a private message. Give him some time to get back to you. He is very busy right now at work.

Thanks again for offering to help.

25 Aug 2009, 23:30

Mike hasn't updated us on what sort of skills he's looking for in a while. i'll ask him to post an update on this so I can advise people better in future. I'll update the jobs thread when he replies.

Your best bet is to talk to him direct though. Send Mike (Mstrobel) a reply and tell him exactly what skills you have or what skills you would be willing to learn. He might be able to offer advice on books to read or programs to familiarise yourself with as well.

25 Aug 2009, 23:47
Profile WWW
Crewman

I have also returned from not being around for awhile. I am pleasantly surprised that not only is the game still being worked on, but it shows marked improvement. Good job guys. I wish I had the skills to help out more, I have been pestering my friend who has a CS degree to get involved, but he is rather lazy. :brickwall: I am busy with working on my BA and watching an 8 year old, or else I would try to learn some coding to help out.

Keep up the good work.

28 Aug 2009, 05:17
Profile YIM WWW

Tell him the work is unpaid and voluntary. That should get him on board. :lol:

We add the names of anyone that makes a physical contibution to the game to the credits list, so that's one perk of helping with the project. Just keep pestering your friend into doing it. He'll cave eventually. They always do... :romulan:

28 Aug 2009, 16:55
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Matress_of_evil wrote:
He has put countless hours into the game and rarely gets any praise or thanks for it.[/url]

Ok than here is my thanks

We foolish mortals thank ye gods (Augustus, MOE,--> Mike<---, CmdWolfe, Keneth of borg and any1 connected with this holy project) for even thinking of creating such an awesome game --> Let alone working on it. Thank you gods know that we thank you -all of us (even the 1s that spam you with hate mails). After posting this post ill do a stupid thing ; ill apply for a job in programing (although it is schoolyear now and I probably wont have the time or the knowlage to help with anything more than a minor thing). But Ill do anything for this game (mainly because Ultimate mod 4 for Botf 1 or just both 1 crash my game almost everytime I enter combat)

P.S. i'm not joKing (damn ye bad writing skills)
P.S.2 I bad English writing XDXDXD Sry :shifty:

Edit: Mike was mentioned in the original post just not his nick because i didn't know his nick

Last edited by Zweistein000 on 20 Sep 2009, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.

19 Sep 2009, 23:01

You forgot to mention Mike (Mstrobel). It's interesting that the guy who is doing all the actual programming work is an unsung hero. :razz:

Thanks for the feedback though. :mrgreen:

Send a PM to Mike (For game programming) or Wolfe (For the combat system) detailing your skills and experience, along with the sorts of things you would be willing to learn or improve your knowledge of.

20 Sep 2009, 01:15
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]