View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 May 2024, 03:34

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 AI?? 
Crewman

I have been reading the various updates etc regarding the current progress with the development of this game and it strikes me that the AI seems to be the most neglected area?? The game is almost unplayable without this and in my view thats where all of the development should be concentrated on.......all of the images/voiceovers/new races etc can be left until this is complete especially seeing as there are already plenty to fill the game! Obviously if i'm missing something please fill me in! :grin:

29 Dec 2009, 16:09
Admiral
Admiral

Well, Mike can only do so much at a time :wink:
Maybe he's already working on it while he waits for .Net 4.0 - plenty of time until March :grin:

29 Dec 2009, 18:58
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Mike HAS begun development of an AI. But it's an area that isn't his speciality and he's got BIG plans for what he wants to do with the AI. The problem is *how* he actually makes that AI. It's just going to take time i'm afraid.

29 Dec 2009, 19:53
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

I'm also hesitant to invest much time in the AI until the rest of the game is mostly in place. New features are likely to be revised several times, and it'll save time if I don't have to rewrite the AI code over and over again.

30 Dec 2009, 18:01
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
So do we stop calling her pre alpha when she has an AI?
:borg:

30 Dec 2009, 21:14
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
So do we stop calling her pre alpha when she has an AI?

Maybe. I'm sure I'll make a big deal of it when I launch the first true Alpha release.

01 Jan 2010, 19:25
Profile WWW
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
Another reason to define what the program will have and will not have in it. If it is nailed down, Mike can start AI. Bashir.

02 Jan 2010, 06:11
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Captain Bashir wrote:
Another reason to define what the program will have and will not have in it. If it is nailed down, Mike can start AI. Bashir.

Yes, very soon I want to go "back to the drawing board" to nail down the feature set, player focus areas, and how gameplay should evolve throughout the game. I just need to wrap up some experimental stuff first.

After reading a very good write-up on the troubles that plagued Duke Nukem Forever and sank 3D Realms, I've decided that we really need to lock down the feature set sooner rather than later. I don't need to trap myself in a 12-year cycle of "write, scrap, rewrite", which is exactly what's going to happen if I don't start putting my foot down more often :).

I'd like to get to Alpha status in roughly a year, spend another year at Alpha, finish off with a 6-month Beta/RC test cycle, and then release the damn thing.

03 Jan 2010, 09:18
Profile WWW

I'll start writing a thread for features to be added as soon as you lock it down then. :romulan:

03 Jan 2010, 11:07
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Matress_of_evil wrote:
I'll start writing a thread for features to be added as soon as you lock it down then. :romulan:
I'm sure I'll have it all mapped out and diagrammed on a wiki or something.

03 Jan 2010, 12:01
Profile WWW

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
When you say "Experimental Stuff" are you referring to experimental stuff for BOTF2 or another project? Just curious.
Lovin the time line. We're here for ya.

The genetically engineered Bashir

03 Jan 2010, 16:46
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

Can't wait, I hope we will see the list soon
:bigthumb:

Plain and simple Vjeko

03 Jan 2010, 17:14
Profile YIM WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Captain Bashir wrote:
When you say "Experimental Stuff" are you referring to experimental stuff for BOTF2 or another project? Just curious.
The "experimental stuff" is for Supremacy.

03 Jan 2010, 19:00
Profile WWW
Crewman

Mike, it might be a good idea to set your goals and features ASAP, since those will do more than anything to keep development on the straight and narrow. Discrete features and objectives may change with time, but as long as a main goal or theme is in place, you'll always know when to spend that extra day on something and when to just scrap it and move on.

Best of luck to you! A great project, and very much looking forward to the final product.

04 Jan 2010, 22:33
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Qereq wrote:
Mike, it might be a good idea to set your goals and features ASAP, since those will do more than anything to keep development on the straight and narrow. Discrete features and objectives may change with time, but as long as a main goal or theme is in place, you'll always know when to spend that extra day on something and when to just scrap it and move on.
Yeah, that's the plan. I've been putting off writing a complete spec for the game for too long now. It's time to take the plunge.

05 Jan 2010, 02:16
Profile WWW
Crewman

:bigthumb:
Mike I think Star Trek Supremacy is awesome. I am a long time fan and a adved strategy gamer. I am more than looking forward to a AI and combat system. I may have missed it somewhere in the thread but I got two questions for you.

#1 Will there be Species 8472?
#2 Can you or Will you make it so minor species like Ferengi Tholian and Gorn can take systems as well and have territory?

Keep up the great work I am on the edge of my seat anticipating the release.

21 Mar 2010, 09:32

Hey Tyberian Mallice, welcome to the forums!

I can answer your questions for you:

1) Yes, we do plan to include Species 8472 in the game. They will be in as a random event (Combat). The precise details may change in the future, but this is the current random event we have for them:

The BOTF2 Random Events wrote:
Species 8472
They pour out of a fluidic gate and destroy everything within sight - including Planets themselves. You have to fight them to stop the invasion. Species 8472 will only appear once the Borg have invaded, although if/when/where they appear will otherwise be random.
Whilst experimenting with the energy matrix for a new form of propulsion, a team of scientists opened a Quantum Singularity into another dimension; Fluidic Space. They encountered a species that are known only by the Borg designation of "Species 8472". It seems the species were angered by our opening of the conduit, and have used the conduit to begin a mass invasion of the sector. The scientists were killed by the invaders, but not before sending an emergency transmission to the nearest Starfleet vessel. We must combat this grave threat before it gets out of hand.
Glory is on the horizon! We have fought many battles in this Galaxy, and now we must look further away from the homeworld to find enemies worthy of the Empire. Whilst experimenting with a new method of propulsion, our yej'an opened a Quantum Singularity to another dimension. The yej'an and their new technology were destroyed by an invading species, and now they are attacking everything within range. Charge your Disruptors and load the Torpedo bays. There is glory to be had from these invaders!
Whilst the Empire would be content with simply conquering this Galaxy, we must be prepared to defend it from attack from those in other Galaxies - and beyond. Whilst our researchers were experimenting with a new type of propulsion system, a stable doorway into another dimension formed. Before we had a chance to study the doorway and find a way to seal it, a hostile species found its way through and destroyed the research facility. We must show these invaders what the Star Empire is made of!
The Union is constantly in search of the materials it needs to defend itself. Whilst our researchers experimented with a new propulsion system to bring us those resources faster, a Quantum Singularity formed in the reaction chamber. Before the researchers could abort their project, a hostile species invaded the facility. Contact has since been lost with several other facilities in the area. The Navy will teach these invaders a lesson they will never forget. Cardassia can and will defend itself.
The Gods protect us from the evil of the Universe. Whilst our researchers experimented with a new propulsion system that will allow us to spread the message of the Founders further than ever before, a Quantum Singularity to another dimension formed. The facility was destroyed by the evil that came through from another dimension. The Gods have told us that we must combat this evil; else we shall fall from their favour. We must not let that happen. We will not let it happen. We shall send the evil back to where it came from.

You can find the entire list of 135 random events Here.

Please note, the list is still being written, and will undergo changes in future. We don't even know what it will be possible to implement yet, so just because a random is written in the list, doesn't mean it will actually be added to the game - or at least it may undergo changes before it makes it in.

2) Yes, minor races will expand. In fact, a lot of them will. Approximately a third will expand aggressively. They won't expand as fast as the empires, but given enough time they will take over multiple star systems and build their own fleets, and just possibly their own stations too. Examples of these races include the Vulcans (Who will be the most advanced of the minors, although not necessarily the most powerful), the Devore, and the Ferengi.

Another third of the minors will expand, but will do so much more slowly due to reduced resource availability, slower research rates, weaker militaries, or their personal beliefs. (Prefer to stay on the homeworld, believe aliens are unclean, etc etc) Examples include the Pakled, the Gorn, and the Hirogen.

The remaining third will not expand in any form, whether due to a lack of Dilithium, terrible research rates, weak or non-existant militaries, previous invasions/occupations, or their personal beliefs (Xenophobic etc) Examples include the Mintakans, the Lurians, and the Malcorians.

You can find more advice on the minor races in Dafedz's Database.

21 Mar 2010, 16:07
Profile WWW
Crewman

Thx for the answers. Now if I may I have a few more. I did some looking into the other major races more and more and I was wondering about a few more things maybe even give a small idea.

#1 Shouldn't the Negh'Var be the top echelon for the Klingons
#2 Would you consider putting in the Hutlet Class "Carrier" for the Cardassian's it is a massive and powerful ship?
#3 What about the Avenger or Vanguard class from STO. They are sweet in design. And would be a great addition to the Starfleet repitwa.
#4 Have you thought of being able to build Transwarp conduits as a station?
#5 Will the Borg be a non-playable race but still be a major race and expand like any other? Or will u keep it as an event, and make them able to start assimilating worlds at a certain stage of the game?

Keep up all the good work the anticipation grows

22 Mar 2010, 02:12

1) The Negh'Var is set as the Klingon's supreme battleship, so i'm not sure why you don't think it is. Check the Shiplist On Dafedz's Database. It's in there as their tech 12 ship. (Note: the link is a page link - you won't be able to access the rest of the database from it like you normally can. The full database link again is Here.

2) The Hutet IS in the game. We've simply called it the Koronak. To be honest, i'm not sure why we changed the name...but the model has already been built. It's also in as the Cardassians' premium battleship, NOT a carrier. There are no carriers in the game, as there are no fighters.

3) The shiplist has been developed over the last six years. We're constantly getting suggested about adding this ship or that. The truth is if we keep fiddling with it, we'll never have a workable shiplist. The ships that are in are those that give a balanced overview of ships from the entire shipbuilding histories of the empires. Obviously we've had to take some liberties with the Cardassians and especially with the Dominion since these histories are canonically unknown, but where the histories are known, we've had to intentionally leave out specific designs to keep the shiplist balanced.

STO is a brand new game, and while the ships are cool, all of the above points apply. We would also have to wrestle with the legalities of taking ship designs from a specific, current, commercially successful game - it would be obvious where our "inspiration" came from, and that could be grounds for legal problems. Our models would also have to build the ships in the first place, and they've already got hundreds of other models to work on.

This doesn't mean "no, not ever to the designs", it simply means not yet and not by us. Others are free to mod the ships in if they want them that badly.

4) No, we haven't thought about this. We've had problems with an issue that we've called "feature creep". The problem with a game like Supremacy is that there are sooo many features we could add, the game will never be finished if we start adding even a few of them. Supremacy has already been going for three years, and it's still on alpha release. We DO have a lot of new features, including Wormholes, so at least one faster travel method is on the way.

5) Again, the Borg are a random event, so yes, they are non-playable. But i've also put into their scope that they would be expandable based on assimilation, so they technically become an empire from the moment the random event is triggered and they manage to assimilate a system.

The BOTF2 Random Events wrote:
The Borg
They assimilate systems, initially invading with small scout ships and moving up to Spheres, Cubes and Tactical Cubes. The only way to completely destroy them is to wipe out their systems. When the Borg appear, you will gain a new option in Diplomacy to set up an Anti-Borg Alliance with the other powers. The chances of this random event occurring increases the longer a game is played, and the higher your tech level is. The Borg will always attack the strongest players first - including the AI. Once the most powerful Empire is assimilated, the Borg will then move onto the second most powerful Empire, and so on. They will be a much bigger threat than in BOTF
It seems that we have come to a dark time in our great Federation. At 0800 hours this morning, a fleet in sector _____ engaged a species calling itself the Borg. This species is not interested in money, politics, or diplomacy. Their only objective is the assimilation of all life, and the destruction of our culture. They seek both our worlds and our people, and will stop at nothing to obtain them. Diplomacy is impossible; they see it as "irrelevant". The time for peace is over. We must combat this grave threat with everything we have for our very survival. For the first time in its history, our great Federation faces the threat of an enemy that may be unbeatable. If Starfleet fails, there is no hope of survival. It will be the end of peace, the end of the dream that is the Federation.
Like Kahless fought the tyrant Molor, we are now faced with fighting a great evil for our own survival; this time, it is for the survival of our very race. Our Battlecruisers in sector _____ have engaged a powerful new enemy called the Borg. They care not for honour or glory, only for the taking of our bodies and our Empire. Sharpen your Bat'leths, charge the Disruptors. There is battle to be fought. Go in honour, and may you and your house find eternal glory in the great halls of Sto'Vo'Kor!
We have always hid in the shadows, content to plot against our enemies, ready for when they trip, to swoop in and conquer. However, we must now emerge from the shadows to combat a grave new threat. Our Navy in sector _____ has encountered the Borg, a cybernetic species whose only wants are the assimilation of our people and the death of our great Star Empire. We must bind together, and show them the true power of Romulus. Charge the Disruptors, arm the Plasma Torpedoes and disengage the Cloaking devices. Send this enemy back to where it came from!
As people of great knowledge and power, we have much to be desired by other species. When these species plan to disrupt our way of life, we must confront and exterminate them. We have engaged a species known as the Borg in sector _____. They thrive on death and destruction. We must not let them do that to us. We will not let them do that to us. We have always persevered, and so shall we now. We will fight with our last breath to protect Cardassia.
Some have spoken of the great evils that the Founders must fight. Now, we have come to that great battle. We have engaged a species calling itself the Borg in sector _____. This race has only the urge to destroy and conquer, and refer to our Gods as "irrelevant". We must teach these heathens the wrath of our mighty Dominion. With the blessing of the Founders, nothing will stand in our way!

Please note: the anti-Borg alliance was a speculative idea and is almost certainly NOT going to be in the game. I wrote this particular random a few years ago, and it's now in need of updating.

22 Mar 2010, 08:51
Profile WWW
Crewman

:waaah:
I have found a bug in the game. I cannot build with the Federation ship Construction II, I keep getting an error msg. Thought I would let u know. I must be blind b/c I couldn't find the bug report area. I am just tired I guess.

Thx for answering all my questions so far I appreciate it. :clap:

23 Mar 2010, 10:09

What sort of error message are you getting? I *think* we did have a report of some problems with the construction ships a while ago, but I must've forgotten to list it in the known issues thread. :redface:

Off the top of my head, I *think* the Construction ships are incorrectly set to upgrade to either a non-existent ship, or they actually downgrade. The problem can't be fixed at the moment as the editor is not longer supported. Mike is currently building a new editor with more features than the old one.

Anyways, I wouldn't bother building Construction ships at the moment as there is actually a crash bug with the Stations themselves:

Known Issues wrote:
Building stations crashes the game!
There is a newly-introduced bug in the most recent version of the game that causes the game to crash. For the time being, do NOT build stations, or if you do try, save your game before you do!

23 Mar 2010, 20:30
Profile WWW
Crewman

I don't mean to be asking so many questions but I do have another. I know you are tired of hearing from
me. :romulan:
I am not an expert on coding and all that I know a few things but I am no where in your guy's league. I was wondering why can't u create a simple AI for now and add onto it as you go. What I mean is wouldn't it be possible to create an AI with simple diplomacy, empire building directives and a simple combat auto-simulation? Just thought I would ask oh and I love all the minor species in the game, but may I ask why you left out the Garidians?

24 Mar 2010, 12:31
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

In order to demonstrate the game at the Las Vegas Star Trek Convention efforts are being directed at making the game playable. Diplomacy, espionage and combat without the 3D combat engine are the priority items for now. When these elements are in place the game will function with multiple human players. Then we can run a demonstration of the game being played. Once we have these elements in place it will be possible to code an AI that uses diplomacy, espionage and combat elements that are currently lacking.

24 Mar 2010, 12:57

Look across the forums. You'll see i've been answering questions for six years and i'm still doing it. I guess i'm a glutton for punishment. :lol:

As Kenneth said, the AI isn't being worked on because we have other priorities. Supremacy is being presented at the Trek convention in Vegas in August, and Mike plans to release the next major update there. The AI just isn't part of those plans, because we don't *want* to have a simple AI at such a major event - it could actually subtract from the game if people start playing it against a sub-standard AI. But if we instead make the game much more multi-player-capable, we should have a more rounded game - and that's what we're doing.

The AI is coming, it's just not coming with the next update.

As for the Garidians, we've got a set of rules that we abide by when deciding whether they make it into the game or not. Yes, we've got hundreds of minors, but there are a few that we've actually had to reject:

1) The race must have been explicitly named within an episode or film. Therefore they must be canon. Races that are only identified in books or have not been named explicitly cannot be accepted.

2) At least one individual of the race must have been seen AND there must be an image of that individual available that is of acceptable quality.

3) They must come from a planet or star system that has been explicitly stated in an episode or film. Again, locations that are only identified in books or have not been named explicitly cannot be accepted.

4) The minor race must have a personality trait, technological capability, biological capability, unique trait, philosophy, religion, work ethic, unusual planetary phenomena, etc. etc. that could be used to create a unique special structure for that race.

5) The more information available regarding the minor race, the better.

I have to admit, i've not personally heard of the Garidians, so I did a Google. The only information I could find was on Memory Beta, the non-canon Star Trek wiki. Straight away this makes it unlikely they will make it into the game, since they are non-canon. This is further reinforced by the fact that it's stated that the Garidians are from Star Trek: A Final Unity, which is a PC game. This means the source material itself is non-canon, so we're unlikely to include them.

24 Mar 2010, 18:56
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

On the subject of whether various different ships or races will make it into the game I'd direct anyone to the primary mod site for Bridge Commander- http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/

That game was launched with only about 5 Federation ships. In time members created all the older ships like Mirandas/ Excelsiors etc, then all the other random starfleet and alien ships, after a while they started uploading versions of classes that were already in the original game- just cos their versions looked so much better. Now, you can literally download and use any ship that's ever been so much as hinted at in Trek, as well as several hundred that haven't. There are proabably about 30 standard Galaxy classes of various levels of quality, not to mention Borg modified versions, AGT future versions, USS Venture phasers on nacelles versions etc etc etc etc.

You can literally go in, find a ship you like, download it and play with it. That's exactly how I see this game going in time, after the game is finalised the mods will start to come in, individual ships to use, replacement versions of the original shiplist, Babylon 5 universe, Star Wars universe...... It'll be the same for races I'm sure, and if nobody else creates a download for your race I'm sure someone will talk you through how to do it.

Me, I'll have a vanilla version for multiplayer and my very own version with a ship added here and a building taken out there..... I certainly wouldn't orry about whether you can play with a certain class of ship.

Edit- Someone really needs to get in contact with this Rick Knox guy.... http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/fi ... alaxy;4104

21 Apr 2010, 20:44
Crewman

Matress_of_evil wrote:
The AI is coming, it's just not coming with the next update.

I read from time to time this forum to check how it looks with a playable version from Supermacy (single campaign) and what i readed sounds rly nice and makes me glad to play it when the major updates are updated. I wont ask again "when" this AI will be updated cuz there was allready enough questions about it i think, ori wont punish any1 with that question hehe :).

But maybe u can tell us, when we can count with an AI ( around not exactly in months or weeks maybe ^^).

22 May 2010, 14:32
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

We will have a playable version for multi-players first.
That being the case it would make sense to have
a way for players to link up. Without a lobby one
option would be teamspeak.
If you download and install teamspeak 3 you could
advertise your game here and link to your
password protected channel.

22 May 2010, 15:07
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]