View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 03:31

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 The Ups and Downs of this game 
Cadet
Cadet

Here I will post what I like or Dislike in the Game.

The Good things:
No industry is wasted (you get 2x Automated farm in stead of 1)
Separate build queue for Ships and stations (My systems that build ships are no longer technologically behind in structures)
Much, much, Much, much, Much, much, Much, much, Much, much, Much, much, Larger Map
Quadrants, yea!
Borg with different ships, they suddenly become an empire. :borg:
Species 8472, ftw :cool:
Rouge planets in nebulas, the founders, :waaah:
Much more options in diplomacy, intelligence and more resources (but not 2 much like in BotE)
The Current ship doesn't replace or obsolete the Previous ship (Cruiser 2 doesn't obsolete cruiser 1, nor does cruiser 1 automatically upgrade to cruiser 2) - This makes game more cannon as you can still build galaxy class ships when you already have sovereign :)
Expendable minor races :waaah:
this could go on for ever...

Now the Bad things
You can't build Minor race ships :cry:
Dunno this was probably a test and I think it was mentioned somewhere but federation scout 1 can Cloak
This is harder than I thought (finding the bad sides of the game, lol) :doh:
A long, long, long, long, time this game has taken to get this far. Can we get a Percentage of completed work in this game?

Other than that, Great work so far, looking forward to Next year :)

Last edited by Zweistein000 on 02 May 2010, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

02 May 2010, 13:40
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

I can answer about the Fed scout that can cloak, yes that was just a test to see if the code is working.

02 May 2010, 13:58
Profile YIM WWW
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples

I think the idea of building ships of minor races is a good idea, but only if the same minor race becomes a member of an empire playable. The empire that controls the race minor is able to ask him to build ships to support the fleet of the empire. I taken an example of the DS9 episodes when the Dominion asked to the Breen and the Cardassians to ally with them and put their vessels in the service of the Dominion.
NOTE: Some vessels of the minor races are equipped with different weapons otherwise the phasers and photon torpedoes and they can enhance the firepower of a fleet.

02 May 2010, 17:40
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Weapons aren't a problem. The *current* editor allows you to select whether a weapon is a beam or torpedo. You can also manually type a name for the weapon. Unfortunately the current system has some drawbacks. I've made these drawbacks known to Mike, so with any luck whenever he releases the new editor these problems will be solved:

• Ships can only have two types of weapon. Therefore ships like the Defiant class cannot currently receive their full canon weapons compliment (Phasers, Pulse Phsers, and Quantum Torpedoes in the case of the Defiant)
  • There aren't enough weapon types. Pulse weapons and missiles for instance are not currently available.
  • Weapon colours cannot be selected. Colours will have the greatest effect on the visible variety of weapons in the game.

Obviously this is a low priority at the moment though. These things don't really matter until the combat system is ready, and we don't know when that will be. Maybe people should start nudging Wolfe to try and get him to release something hehe. :mischief:

02 May 2010, 20:16
Profile WWW

Is he still working on it?

02 May 2010, 20:28
Profile YIM WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

As far as I know Mike said that Wolfe is developing stand alone game so mike will be developing 3d engine by himself.

02 May 2010, 20:32
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
Well THAT explains why you don't see him around here much anymore. Has to be time consuming. Bashir

02 May 2010, 20:46

If that's true then it's news to me. Last I heard he was still working on it but was swamped by school or work. :waaah:

02 May 2010, 23:05
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Actually I read it on one forum which where was posted new interview with Mike, that was his answer to question regarding 3d combat engine. :shocked: :shocked:

02 May 2010, 23:31
Admiral
Admiral

Quote:
The Current ship doesn't replace or obsolete the Previous ship (Cruiser 2 doesn't obsolete cruiser 1,

Military ship designs obsolete not the previous version, but the one before that. So Cruiser 3 obsoletes Cruiser 1.

03 May 2010, 16:09
Cadet
Cadet

I know... That Makes the whole game just a bit more Cannon wahoo! :waaah:

03 May 2010, 16:32
Admiral
Admiral

Quote:
Quadrants, yea!

I'd actually include this in the bad things section - at least until Mike includes an option to disable quadrants / fully randomize starting positions. Knowing where every empire starts (and minors, and their relative positions to empires) each and every game kind of reduces replayability value.

Quote:
Rouge planets in nebulas,

The current definitions don't allow this to happen AFAIR. Except for the Dominion's HW of course, which is forced.

04 May 2010, 18:02
Cadet
Cadet

.Iceman wrote:

Quote:
Rouge planets in nebulas,

The current definitions don't allow this to happen AFAIR. Except for the Dominion's HW of course, which is forced.

yes it does. Do you need a screenshot to prove it?

Attachments:
File comment: Haha!
proof.jpg
proof.jpg [ 263.13 KiB | Viewed 12056 times ]

Last edited by Zweistein000 on 04 May 2010, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

04 May 2010, 18:13

.Iceman wrote:
I'd actually include this in the bad things section - at least until Mike includes an option to disable quadrants / fully randomize starting positions. Knowing where every empire starts (and minors, and their relative positions to empires) each and every game kind of reduces replayability value.

I don't agree with that, I wouldn't want to see the Dominion in the Alpha quadrant or the Feds in the Delta quadrant, not to mention minor races like Vulcans appearing in random quadrants. But I do believe that in favor of better gameplay there should be an option to disable quadrants. That way everyone would be happy.

04 May 2010, 18:17
Profile YIM WWW
Cadet
Cadet

vjeko1701 wrote:
.Iceman wrote:

I don't agree with that, I wouldn't want to see the Dominion in the Alpha quadrant or the Feds in the Delta quadrant, not to mention minor races like Vulcans appearing in random quadrants. But I do believe that in favor of better gameplay there should be an option to disable quadrants. That way everyone would be happy.

Actually when turning the quadrants off. There won't be any quadrants (like in Botf1)

04 May 2010, 18:20

I discussed this with Mike last year or the year before. I'm not sure if he's remembered it or not though. There are a number of other galaxy generation settings ideas that I discussed with him that may need resurrecting as well. I'll nudge him when he gets back from China.

04 May 2010, 21:24
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

I agree with Zweistein the game should be each time randomized, with option of "canon start".

04 May 2010, 21:59

"Canon start" was one of the options I was alluding to. In fact, Zulnak even went to the trouble of making a map in Excel so we can create a pre-designed map for players to try. It's included with his combat calculator.

04 May 2010, 23:10
Profile WWW

Yeah, I remember that. Now that would be an awesome option. Then maybe three options, first: Full canon generator, second: Races in canon quadrants, third: without quadrants, completely random.

05 May 2010, 14:23
Profile YIM WWW

Good idea says The Bashir

05 May 2010, 14:28
Cadet
Cadet

vjeko1701 wrote:
Yeah, I remember that. Now that would be an awesome option. Then maybe three options, first: Full canon generator, second: Races in canon quadrants, third: without quadrants, completely random.

Not to insult you, but I think I read somewhere that this was decided looooooong ago :lol:

anyway, when can was expect the next update. Waiting till august will just be too much, why not release small updates till you achieve what you set out to do till August, then in august create a big download and post it on a forums for those that haven't been updating since the last big update. Please :mischief:

05 May 2010, 16:16

Zweistein000 wrote:
vjeko1701 wrote:

Not to insult you, but I think I read somewhere that this was decided looooooong ago :lol:

Well I don't remember Mike ever giving it a green light, so until he does we can't think of it a being accepted.
One of the first posts I ever wrote was about this and someone, I don't remember who sent me a PM about it, and that was all, I'm not sure if Mike even remembers it.

05 May 2010, 16:21
Profile YIM WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Zweistein000 wrote:
anyway, when can was expect the next update. Waiting till august will just be too much, why not release small updates till you achieve what you set out to do till August, then in august create a big download and post it on a forums for those that haven't been updating since the last big update. Please

I'm not a fan of small updates cause i have constantly to check and re-check what is and it's not in the game. I can tell about 2d art that we are planning to update when all work is finished. 2d art will be finished in period beetween 5 to 10 months.

05 May 2010, 22:47
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Hmmmmm,

I don't quite remember saying I was developing a stand alone game lol, I know I added a GUI and interface to it and gave it a name, but that was just for the star trek games website and essentially make it easier to try it out.

About progress, well that's harder to pin down, busy doesn't quite cut it when describing my current workload, the majority of my free time is spent towards trying to code a framework needed for my PhD, which considering the size and complexity it could turn out to be is frightening to say the least from someone with no formal education in programming.

With regards to the engine, the main problem lied with the fact that it first started off as me trying to help out in some way, learn some programming and then see how it goes, a kind of seat of your pants kind of thing :).

Now during the time of its creation, i had more free time, and generally just kept up with adding as much as possible, trying to make it as functional as it could be, considering the learning curve it presented.

However over time it became apparent that earlier flaws would kill this original approach. This being two things, one the reliance on Irrlicht, which at the time was great for me because the game engine community was large and helpful and i could code up something relatively quickly, the second problem was i started programming in C# with this project and it shows :).

So in the first instance of using Irrlicht it became obvious that it would not be added to Supremacy, it wasn't compatible in terms of a host of things, such as networking, windows Vista and its lack of support for the .NET version. In the second instance, the coding, well, in this case MStrobel was definitely not going to see it added lol and i wouldn't blame him, I think we have both had a good laugh at it at times, and was another reason to push it onto XNA, to essentially start from scratch, however with the knowledge learned from the first one and more time spent planning it.

Hopefully i can find some time for it, nevertheless this current framework should hopefully improve my coding or god help me.

Sorry to disappoint anyone,

Kind Regards Wolfe

08 May 2010, 19:50
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Thanks for all you have done. We are all unpaid volunteer workers here. If you have some contacts with people that do this kind of coding you might let them know of our needs. Good luck with the PhD.
:borg:

08 May 2010, 21:35

Yeah, good luck.
:thumbsup:

08 May 2010, 21:57
Profile YIM WWW

We are all rootin' you on in all you do. Bashir

08 May 2010, 22:57

I was under the impression you were developing a stand-alone game mate, in fact i'm sure I remember reading a post by you about this. I guess we were all under the spell of a a giant alien pitcher plant or something. (Hehe quote reference people? :mischief:)

Good luck with the PHd, and remember we've still got Strings' combat system if you need inspiration. That was coded in XNA. :wink:

10 May 2010, 21:18
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

maybe it was lazarus trying to look cool? :P

10 May 2010, 23:08
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]