View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 22 May 2024, 15:18

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Minor race conquest 
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

Also when the game reaches that stage of development we will probably gain more followers.

19 Aug 2010, 17:12
Profile YIM WWW
Admiral
Admiral

mstrobel wrote:
The difficulty of the game will basically depend on what values are loaded into certain tables. In terms of implementation, supporting multiple difficulty levels would be as simple as loading different sets of values into those tables. In terms of development, testing and balancing those value sets will be very time consuming. The good news is that those efforts can be mostly decoupled from the rest of the game development. People like .Iceman and dafedz could volunteer to spend countless hours of their time tweaking the difficulty levels so that I don't have to ;).

Hehe, count me in.

19 Aug 2010, 17:22
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I personally wouldn't want to see minors conquering the systems of empires, but it would be good if they could put up some kind of a fight, which I'm sure they would.

Using the earlier example of the Tzenkethi, I don't think anyone was concerned they would outright conquer the Federation, just that a war with them would be a logistical nightmare whilst keeping the Romulan and Cardassian borders defended and maintaining patrols near outlying systems.

19 Aug 2010, 19:33
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

SonOfMogh wrote:
I personally wouldn't want to see minors conquering the systems of empires, but it would be good if they could put up some kind of a fight, which I'm sure they would.
Yeah, that's the idea.

19 Aug 2010, 20:08
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

All sounds good. I do agree with your earlier points, the majority of minors are really just an extra perk which is added to your empire and to make the game more interesting.

Just a quick question for Mike or anyone, rather than starting a new thread... are there plans to have larger galaxies than the Huge galaxy in the current release? Cheers in advance.

19 Aug 2010, 20:47

I think that it isn't planned, but it's easily moddable. My personal best is 100x100 map. I tried to mod a bigger map, but failed. Is there a hard coded limitation?

19 Aug 2010, 22:09
Profile YIM WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

vjeko1701 wrote:
I think that it isn't planned, but it's easily moddable. My personal best is 100x100 map. I tried to mod a bigger map, but failed. Is there a hard coded limitation?
There is an intrinsic limit of 256x256 sectors because map coordinates are represented using 8 bits per dimension. Thus, for a given location (x, y), 'x' and 'y' must both be within the range of [0, 255]. If you tried to mod it to less than 256x256 and it failed, you probably just made a subtle mistake when editing the table file (it helps to just open it in MS Excel).

Note that if you go much higher than 80x80 sectors, plotting long courses for your fleets could become very slow. The time it takes to plot an optimal course between two sectors grows exponentially with the distance between those sectors. Short of theoretical quantum computing, there's no way around that issue--it's a mathematical certainty. Pathfinding already gets a little choppy with a huge galaxy, so if you decide to start modding the galaxy sizes, be sure to do test the pathfinding performance.

20 Aug 2010, 00:06
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Zeleni wrote:
Zeleni wrote:Actually there are non divisions regarding minor races. If you think on key, secondary, tertiary... that isn't real division it only gives rough information about minor race special structure bonuses and nothing more...

.Iceman wrote:
And Expanding, Developed, Minor (can't recall the right names). That's another division. And Warlike, Partisan, etc.

Yes and some have small and some have big systems, some have dilithium some not... :lol:

Zeleni wrote:
They are minor race afterall and would be happy with one additional system with max pop 20 and I think Gorn wouldn't be pleased whith such booty. Sense behind this is to annoy human player who is in war with major empire but still has to pay attention to the mosquito on his neck who only takes advantage of situation.

.Iceman wrote:
They would provoke a full out war with an empire, just to take _one_ additonal system?! Are you sure you understand the concept of war? And its repercussions?

It's obvious after your reply that your knowledge about war and history of war is mainly derived from PC games. There is huge amount of serious literature outside of PC games, find something, start learning, inform yourself and then replay. :wink:

Zeleni wrote:
How many minors will be in the game we don't know so we can't debate. Unbalance why? Game will randomize each time position of race on galactic map regardless of their canon destination so if game loads 4 key races each of them will be positioned in different quadrant (Vulcans in Gamma quadrant)

.Iceman wrote:
Hmm?! Minors are locked to quadrants too, just like empires.

I hope this is not final solution, It would be nice to play with UFP and your first neighbor is Dominion.

Zeleni wrote:
I already stated that minors ship database needs changes, it depends how will be solved Ai.

.Iceman wrote:
Changes of the magnitude you are implying?! Also, again, minors will be mosly transparent to the player, so a bigger footprint in the game will accomplish little.

Cutting down number of minors ship classes.

Zeleni wrote:
1. Minor starts game with tech 3 level (like in Botf)

.Iceman wrote:
Why? They're minors.

Minors will have their own tech curve, how it is going to work is up to Mike. In Botf developed race starts game with tech 3 but there is another solution all minors start with tech 0 at beginning of game.

.Zeleni wrote:
What do you mean by special structure is set to native system? How this can be relevant for player? My thinking was that mini-empires already posses structures with great bonuses so they should hard to obtain for human player (membered).

.Iceman wrote:
Minors structures can only be built on _their_ home system. _When_ they join an empire. This is one of the basic concepts of the game regarding minors.

Your reply is without sense. I said that mini-empires should be harder membered cause they have structures with great bonuses. :rolleyes:

20 Aug 2010, 13:35

Zeleni wrote:
Zeleni wrote:
I hope this is not final solution, It would be nice to play with UFP and your first neighbor is Dominion.

I hope that it is. I think that quadrants are one of the biggest improvements to the game. But since so many of you want a game without quadrants, how about this?

Spoiler: show
Attachment:
quadrants.png
quadrants.png [ 663.79 KiB | Viewed 6148 times ]

20 Aug 2010, 14:53
Profile YIM WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Did I implement that already or is that a Photoshop? :)

I'm pretty sure I implemented quadrants as being optional in the actual galaxy generator but I don't recall if I ever incorporated that into the UI.

20 Aug 2010, 14:55
Profile WWW

It's Photoshop, actually It took me a few minutes to find the right font, Calibri and LCARS if anyone is wondering.

20 Aug 2010, 14:57
Profile YIM WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

vjeko1701 wrote:
It's Photoshop, actually It took me a few minutes to find the right font, Calibri and LCARS if anyone is wondering.

Actually, it's Square 721 Condensed for the label and Helvetica Ultra Compressed for the drop-down. ;)

Calibri is the font used for the labels on the star map. It's a standard font in Windows Vista/7, unlike the other two.

20 Aug 2010, 15:56
Profile WWW

But it's almost the same. I had to modify it a little in the font menu, but still...

PS: So the quadrants will have an off switch? I hope that that will finally make everyone happy.

20 Aug 2010, 16:00
Profile YIM WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Yes, the quadrants will have an 'off' switch. Technically you'll still see the axis lines in the galaxy map with quadrants switched off, but races' home quadrants will no longer be factor in determining their homeworld locations.

20 Aug 2010, 16:36
Profile WWW

Great.

20 Aug 2010, 16:37
Profile YIM WWW
Admiral
Admiral

Zeleni wrote:
Yes and some have small and some have big systems, some have dilithium some not... :lol:

You see? When you put your mind to it, you can find a lot. Would have saved you from proposing yet another one. :wink:

Quote:
It's obvious after your reply that your knowledge about war and history of war is mainly derived from PC games. There is huge amount of serious literature outside of PC games, find something, start learning, inform yourself and then replay. :wink:

Oh, I read a lot. And yes, history. I guess you can't tell from my replys, eh? I can't tell the same from yours either, so I guess it's not really a valid argument, eh? :wink: I'd say comic books though.
Anyways, back to replaying PC games. History based ones. Or maybe I should go find an history book where a small nation on earth took a backyard from a major power and then sat on their conquest. That would be fun. Lots of entertainment time.

Quote:
Minors will have their own tech curve, how it is going to work is up to Mike. In Botf developed race starts game with tech 3 but there is another solution all minors start with tech 0 at beginning of game.

Ping-pong? They would start at 3, now at zero? Could you make up your mind please? :wink:

Quote:
Your reply is without sense. I said that mini-empires should be harder membered cause they have structures with great bonuses. :rolleyes:

Which is pretty much what everyone is expecting to happen? :rolleyes: Talk about sense.
Uh, not the "mini-empires", the more powerful minors of course.

20 Aug 2010, 17:27
Admiral
Admiral

mstrobel wrote:
Note that if you go much higher than 80x80 sectors, plotting long courses for your fleets could become very slow. The time it takes to plot an optimal course between two sectors grows exponentially with the distance between those sectors.

Any chance you could provide the possibility for players to choose movement to systems only?

20 Aug 2010, 17:30

Well, about the wars, our history is filled with conflicts that aren't familiar to a wider audience. Balcanic wars, Islamic-Israel wars...... All for relatively small pieces of land that "major" world nations thought were unimportant. But to those minor nations they can mean everything.

Minor races could fight over smaller star systems. Would they attack a major race to get a small system, probably not, but still, "anomalies" could happen. Not every minor race is very intelligent. Some more warlike races like the Chalnoth, the Nausicaans, the Tzenkethi, the Gorn...... could attack a stronger opponent for a small system.

We also must consider other variables. What if the system is of a great strategic importance? Or has Dilithium, or a wormhole. Population is not the only measure of a star system.

20 Aug 2010, 17:48
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
I guess it is the game value vs coding computing time thing.
:borg:

20 Aug 2010, 19:31
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

.Iceman wrote:
Any chance you could provide the possibility for players to choose movement to systems only?
It would only make a difference if we ditched the grid-based map and went with starlanes like MoO. That would mean the player couldn't build starbases outside of star systems, take advantage of nebulas to hide fleets, etc. It would also render the waypoint system more or less useless. Besides, 80x80 sectors is friggin' huge. The people who want more than that are the kind of people who probably won't be satisfied with this game no matter what decisions we make because the kind of depth they want just isn't physically possible on today's computers (and is way more than the typical player wants anyway). I started this project because I wanted to build a Trek strategy game that can appeal to 90% of players; I'm not really interested in catering to the ones looking for an entire Star Trek universe simulated on their PC.

As for the debate on wars and minor race conquest, the decision is made, and I'm locking this thread.

20 Aug 2010, 21:54
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2