View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 04 May 2024, 03:03

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 minor races playable 
Crewman

Hello everyone, I wanted to offer my doubt. From what I read in the final game there will be about 160 minor races, when a player decides to play a game with many breeds, all in the game there will be 160 breeds or a minor part of it.

21 Nov 2010, 22:26
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

I *think* I understand what you're asking, and the answer is no. Even on a huge map with the highest number of minor races available, you will still not see every single minor race. There are two main reasons for this.

First off, even the huge map simply isn't big enough to accommodate 160 minor races within the current set of rules that the game follows when generating a map; there has to be a set amount of space between the races to allow them enough room to live in and grow. But any larger maps would be ridiculous in size and people just don't have computers powerful enough to play any sort of playable game on them.

The second reason is about diversity and playability; the simple fact of the matter is that most people don't want to encounter the same races over and over. Every time you play the game, you want to meet races you haven't met before, or you want them to be in different places, or living under different conditions. Games where everything is always the same will eventually become boring and predictable - people will get bored. So the game instead randomly selects minor races and places them randomly, although it takes their home Quadrant into account. You won't find the Vulcans in the Gamma Quadrant, for instance. We *may* add an option to make the minor race distribution truly random in future though.

There will actually be more than 160 minors in the game too; we're planning on adding a number of minors that were missed during the last update. The increased number of minor races also means it will be even harder for the game to place all those minors on a single map, no matter the size, so games will inevitably even more random.

You can find the full list of minors that will eventually be in the game, as well as their bonuses and so on, Here. The minors are sorted Alphabetically so click the letter links at the top of the page to view them.

21 Nov 2010, 22:54
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hi and sorry if I answer now. I understand that having 160 minor races in the game is problematic, but may fail to randomly generate less important races such as Vulcan, Andorian, Tholians, Breen (I am very attached to the series Deep Space Nine) that those races which appear and often feel trek in the world, or those races are at 100% and others are to be added randomly. From my point of view of a player does not get bored of always finding the same minor races. I wanted to know if any updates are planned under the Christmas period.

08 Dec 2010, 11:04
Admiral
Admiral

All minors are random, no exceptions. I guess you can set them as Empires though, and in that case they will be in the game.

09 Dec 2010, 20:17
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Quote:
I wanted to know if any updates are planned under the Christmas period.
Probably not, unfortunately. I just moved to New York City for a new job, and I will not have my development workstation with me until January when I move into my long-term apartment. I currently only have my MacBook Pro with me, which is not set up with Windows or a development environment, so I cannot work on Supremacy at the moment.

13 Dec 2010, 15:06
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hi, I noticed that when I select a lot of races, from the log I find that the minor races are always 50. I can change this variable? how?

11 Apr 2011, 19:05

This was a little-known bug in the last update; Mike has already identified and fixed the cause, and he actually did it a good long while ago. I don't believe it can be fixed through editing the game files though, it's actually due to a programming bug. So you'll have to wait for fhe next update, whenever that may be, to see more than 50 minors i'm afraid.

11 Apr 2011, 20:44
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]