View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 05 May 2024, 05:14

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Possible Klingon intro text or battle cries 
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

These are some lyrics from Croatian patriotic songs that could be used as Klingon quotes with some modifications. The meaning might be lost in translation, but I have done my best. I've marked possibilities with red

Who on solid rock writes his history
No one can erase it!

They are wrong who think that way
What is defended with blood is not given away easily!

This could be used like an negative answer to some race's demand for your territory.

eg. The Cardassians have demanded the Qu'vat sector:

Answer: Klingon blood has been shed to build and defend that sector and what is defended with blood is not given away easily!

Next, from the same song:

Though harsh times
And fierce battles

We have defended with honor
Our homeland!

Like some message you get after an invasion or a battle cry.

There are many more examples like this, if you agree with it I can post some more, we have a lot of songs like this one. Let's just say that our history is interesting, very interesting.

02 Feb 2011, 16:33
Profile YIM WWW
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

I assume you've seen the Klingon Propaganda Video? Apparently, the children singing is actually in Croat or a similar language. So using other languages can be a really good source of inspiration.

As you all know, i've tried peppering the Klingon random events texts with actual Klingon words, especially insults and curses (Which are always good in Klingon :lol:), but the word i've used the most throughout the text is yej'an (Researcher/scientist). So I think where we have Klingon text, the text should be sprinkled with Klingon words too to maintain consistency. It makes the game more fun to read as well.

02 Feb 2011, 18:56
Profile WWW

Well, we should add as much Klingon words as possible, I was just saying that if you need some phrases that sound Klingon, I can provide you with some because we use a lot Klingon like phrases in patriotic songs, sport cheers, and even battle cries.

02 Feb 2011, 19:04
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
That looks good. We could use some in the combat clips. Others we can us as part of the race intros Mike has given the green light. I was hopping to animate our ships in blender with the race intro playing. If anyone wants to come up with race intro text similar in tone to the originals please give it a go.
:borg:

02 Feb 2011, 19:31

I'll try it tomorrow.

02 Feb 2011, 21:23
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

By the way the language the kids are sining in for that video is Turkish. The soundtrack for that background was taken from a Turkish children's performance. The explanation is that the ancient ancestors of the the Turks also gave rise to the Mongols. The Mongols were part of the inspiration for the original Klingons. Go figure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD2A7L2h74I

03 Feb 2011, 00:57

Well my people are very well acquainted with the Turks. Croat-Austrian-Hungary alliance were the only thing standing between their empire and western Europe with most important fights being fought on our territory.

Klingon Intro:

The Klingon empire intro

For a Klingon, fight is his life. We live to fight and conquer!
(Klingon fleet around some planet, a bit blurred and semi transparent fire overlayed over it )
Make allies in order to succeed, but make sure they are worthy.
(Animated Klingon diplomacy window, animated in a sense that the ship is moving)
Trough harsh times and fierce battle rise our flag and defend your empire with honor.
And remember what is defended with blood is not given away easily.
(Q'onos and Praxis orbiting + a semi transparent Klingon flag wawing overlayed in one sequence)
Q'apla!

03 Feb 2011, 13:34
Profile YIM WWW
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
The explanation is that the ancient ancestors of the the Turks also gave rise to the Mongols.
It's probably the other way around:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_people#Origins

The Mongols lived in close proximity to various Turkish tribes, so when the former started expanding, they pushed the latter to the west. A few centuries later they reached all the way to Vienna but thankfully they were beaten there by the Croat-Austrian-Hungary alliance vjeko1701 mentioned.

vjeko1701 wrote:
Well my people are very well acquainted with the Turks. Croat-Austrian-Hungary alliance were the only thing standing between their empire and western Europe with most important fights being fought on our territory.
Unfortunately, we (Greeks) are also very well acquainted with the Turks. It was a period of 400-500 years (depending on the place) of "friendship", "cultural exchange" and "economic co-operation" between our two peoples :mad:
Spoiler: show
I hope the irony in my statement above ("friendship", "cultural exchange" and "economic co-operation") is clear.

"Seize the time, Meribor. Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again" -- Picard (The Inner Light)

03 Feb 2011, 14:57

Yeah I know about the Greek-Turkish "acquaintance". For centuries they raided our villages and kidnapped our young population. They were then took to Turkey for reeducation. But the most ironic part is that they were more capable than the Turks and they rised to high places with one Croat even becoming a Suleiman(leader). Unfortunately they knew nothing of their origin so they used Croat blood to kill other Croats.

Do you know the best part. I learned that in Turkish schools they teach that Turks fought with smaller armies and were those who were heroic.

C'mon, are they forgetting our heroes like Nikola Subic Zrinski. He distinguished himself at the siege of Vienna in 1529, and in 1542 saved the imperial army from defeat before Pest by intervening with 400 Croats, for which service he was appointed ban of Croatia.

In 1566, from August 5 to September 7, his small force of 2,300 soldiers heroically defended the little fortress of Szigetvár against the whole Ottoman(Turkey) host - 102,000 soldiers, led by Suleiman the Magnificent in person. The Battle of Szigetvár ended with Zrinski perishing with every member of the garrison in a last desperate charge. Suleiman had died shortly previous.

There are many more in the history of my people.

03 Feb 2011, 15:34
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I like the tone of the text but want to ask Mike if there is going to be an advantage in the Klingons being at war. In the original game the population was ahappy if there was war declared somewhere. We should note that in the intro, if it is true, as they did in the original game.

Given that humanity originated in Africa we are all related to the original breading population if you go back far enough. It is not that the Mongols did not attack the Turks. It is just that they are more closely related than they are to say the Polynesians. They both came from a more primordial tribe in the area of Turkey.

03 Feb 2011, 19:54
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
Given that humanity originated in Africa
C'mon, that's just propaganda. We all know that all humanoid species in the Galaxy were created by the Ancient Humanoids (Preservers?) as revealed in TNG: The Chase :twistedlaugh:

"Seize the time, Meribor. Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again" -- Picard (The Inner Light)

04 Feb 2011, 11:17
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

So anyway here are my ideas for the Klingon intro based off of what we have so far. Please jump in with your own ideas and corrections. (We have a new voice actor so this becomes a more relevant topic.)

The Klingon empire intro

Klingon main theme music plays

Video: Fire and Klingon emblem overlay melds to Klingon fleet moving towards an M class planet, a bit blurred and semi transparent.

Voice actor: The Klingons are a race of warriors. Never forget that.
Video: Cut to Animated Klingon diplomacy window, animated in a sense that the ships are moving and window shows other user actions

Voice Actor: Always be at war somewhere for the moral of your people. Make allies in order to succeed but be sure they are worthy. Klingons fight with honor.

Video: Cut to Q'onos and Praxis orbiting + a semi transparent Klingon flag waving with Klingon overlay in one sequence

Voice Actor: Through harsh times and fierce battle rise our flag. Defend the empire for the honor of your house. What a Klingon defended with blood is not given away easily. Q'apla!

08 Feb 2011, 21:40
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
Nice Kenneth! CB

09 Feb 2011, 01:11
Crewman

Hi all, I want to share my view of the way the klingon intro should sound like.

What you expect to hear from klingon are direct, determined, imperative sentences. Proudness, honor, patriotism -> this must be felt in the statements. Their thirst for blood and the feeling of honor is something that they always emphasise, so the sentences referring to this things must sound poetic, as this is the way they portray their actions.

While you guys do a great job, I have some different views at this:
Quote:
Always be at war somewhere for the moral of your people. Make allies in order to succeed but be sure they are worthy.

This is not the way the klingons would say this. Words „somewhere“ and „succeed“ doesn't feel right, and would be better replaced with „anywhere“ and „to achieve your goal“, but these also don't sound right.
Reasons for going to war and making allies aren't explained in a klingon way, and don't sound to good.
They would say something more like „War is in our blood“, or „War is our way“..
Also the word „people“ sounds like „humans“ a little.
Quote:
Through harsh times and fierce battle rise our flag. Defend the empire for the honor of your house. What a Klingon defended with blood is not given away easily. Q'apla!

„Harsh times“ is not an expression that a Klingon would use.
What Klingon defends is not given away! (The word „easely“ should not exist in this statement.)

This is something that I think would sound more klingon-ish, but needs more work aswell:

The Klingons are a race of warriors. This must never be forgotten!
Always lead your troops to battle, but know the true wisdom of our ways: As cunning beast can be worthy opponent, it can make a strong ally aswell.
The flag of honor rises, as the empires burn. What is defended with blood is not given away.

„Q'apla“ is a great word to finish, but maybe it would be cool if you use some other klingon word that sounds that awesome, just to freshen things up. Or maybe not...

Thats just my view.

09 Feb 2011, 22:52
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Good points and thanks. The reason for suggesting to the player that the empire stay at war is, as in the original game, an advantage for it is coded into the game.
:klingon:

09 Feb 2011, 23:18
Crewman

Yes i know. I'm not that good in english, so i can't explain what i mean very well.
What I meant was that the explanations "for moral of your people" and "to succeed", although they're correct, sound more human than klingon. :klingon:

09 Feb 2011, 23:36
Cadet
Cadet

Maybe using words like Sto Vo Kor and Grethor you can bring more klingon words into ur intro.

Something like. Through battle we honor our fallen comrades in Sto Vo Kor and make our enemies suffer on their jounrey to Grethor.

10 Feb 2011, 10:38

Slažem se s tim. Ak imaš još koji prijedlog slobodno reci.

I agree with him.

10 Feb 2011, 13:24
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Revisions

Klingon main theme music plays

Video: Fire and Klingon emblem overlay melds to Klingon fleet moving towards an M class planet, a bit blurred and semi transparent.

Voice actor: The Klingons are a race of warriors. Never forget that.
Video: Cut to Animated Klingon diplomacy window, animated in a sense that the ships are moving and window shows other user actions

Voice Actor: Always be at war with someone. It builds the spirit of your people. Make allies if you must but only if they are worthy. Klingons fight with honor.

Video: Cut to Q'onos and Praxis orbiting + a semi transparent Klingon flag is waving with Klingon overlay in one sequence

Voice Actor: Through hard times and fierce battle rise our flag. Defend the empire for the honor of your house. What a Klingon defended with blood is not given away. Q'apla!

11 Feb 2011, 14:29
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I am build up the elements needed to animate the Klingon intro.

Attachments:
Scout.png
Scout.png [ 73.41 KiB | Viewed 18466 times ]
Planet.jpg
Planet.jpg [ 434.89 KiB | Viewed 18466 times ]

12 Feb 2011, 22:26

Can you do the 3D animation parts of Klingon fleet going towards this planet

The diplomacy ones and Q'onos and Praxis. (I can do the textures for these)

I can add fire, the klingon emblem and stuff like that and combine it.

I would just suggest making the atmosphere of the planet smaller (not so spreaded, but the same opacity) and add a bit od inner glow, I can give you one of my terran planets texture is higher quality i it's a bit pixellised now

12 Feb 2011, 23:19
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I hope to pay tribute to the flyby seen in Star Trek The Motion Picture. In this video a small and mixed fleet of Klingon ships will fly in. The camera pan will fallow this until you see the planet in the background. That is your Terran texture. A higher res for this formate would help. Any and all the help you can provide will be welcome.

Here is one version of the flyby with substituted music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX6r9TTOGNg

13 Feb 2011, 01:05

Yeah, I know it's my texture, but it's low res. I'll find and upload higher res.

13 Feb 2011, 11:27
Profile YIM WWW

Ok, this is my favorite terran texture in high res - 2048x1024. I've made almost every texture in high res just for these possible scenarios where we would need them in our game videos, backgrounds, wallpapers...

- this version is not the full resolution - the full resolution you have to get from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?urrzevou522rp7p

Praxis:

You don't even need to do the atmosphere, I can overlay it later.

13 Feb 2011, 12:00
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

That helped a lot.
:borg:

Attachments:
Planet.jpg
Planet.jpg [ 480.3 KiB | Viewed 18445 times ]

13 Feb 2011, 16:38

It looks much better. I would suggest different lighting with less pronounced light spot and more defined light - dark border. Also removing the nebula for now (we will use it in Dominion video (Omarion nebula) and we want to avoid repetition.)

13 Feb 2011, 18:31
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

And this

Attachments:
Destroyer.png
Destroyer.png [ 143.43 KiB | Viewed 18433 times ]

13 Feb 2011, 22:31
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Work in progress:

Attachments:
Work in progress.jpg
Work in progress.jpg [ 513.41 KiB | Viewed 18430 times ]

14 Feb 2011, 04:00

Much better, it's just that the ships are too bright.

14 Feb 2011, 07:39
Profile YIM WWW

Oh yes, much better, but the ships are definitely too bright.

I PM'ed this to Kenneth last night as a possible Dominion intro. What do you guys think?
Quote:
The Galaxy is full of chaos. But the word brings harmony where chaos once ruled supreme. And the word grows, for that word is the will of the Founders, and the mighty Dominion serves that word. Each subject of the Dominion has a role in furthering the word; play that role well and you shall be blessed with gifts beyond your imagination. Fail and you shall know an afterlife of eternal damnation. Harmony shall reign over the Galaxy. So say the Founders - and who are we to question a god? Victory is life.

14 Feb 2011, 11:04
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next