View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 03 May 2024, 22:50

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Minor race selection 
Crewman

Greetings. I first came into contact wit the Supremacy project 2 years ago. It is thrilling to see the amount of work that has been done so far.
Some threads mention the ability to have playable minor races. But none specify how that could be done except modding (an area of expertise that I severely lack! lol)

I was wondering if it could be possible to have a means of selection similar to that on Europa Universalis 2. The game selected the main powers in play, but it was possible for the player to select a different option by changing one major power for a minor one.

Anyway, my two cents.

Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see the end result!

Sylvain, Montréal :-)

21 May 2011, 22:06
Admiral
Admiral

One of the problems of minor races is their limited number of ship types - 4 or 5 tops IIRC. Their special structures are also very few and less interesting. Playing a minor wouldn't be much fun.

21 May 2011, 22:14
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

And to add the lack of custom interface, fewer agents, poorer techtree.... But It would be fun in big multiplayer games with 6-10 players (more would be too much)

To explain, any race could become playable by changing one value in the XML files. You can then play with them SP or MP games. Every playable race developed by us will have detailed techtree with special structures buildable only by that race, dozens of ship classes spanning all Star Trek eras, special agents/heroes..., special intro made for them, custom UI in their style, custom music composed for them... Simply changing the mentioned value will not give the selected minor those gameplay advantages. They will have only few special structures, all other will be basic default ones, their fleet will have to be built by max 7 different ship classes (the Vulcans are the minor race that has the most ship types - 7, some have only 1, some 2,3,4..) UI will be default (probably Federation) music aswell.

Now all that minuses could easily be negated by modding, building UI for them, making more models, composing music... You can expect that also from us, the team as I am certain we will not simply fall apart after the 1.0 release. I for one am planning a mirror universe expansion.

I hope this will help you clarify some things.

And i almost forgot, welcome to posting, since welcoming you to the forum is 2 years late.

21 May 2011, 22:27
Profile YIM WWW
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Sorry about my slow reply, but if it helps, i've actually posted a how-to guide on modding the game so you can play as a minor race. You can find the guide Here.

...But the problems that Iceman and Vjeko mention above still apply. The minor races have few buildings and ships, so they're not as exciting to play as the "real" empires. That can also be fixed through modding, but that will require a lot more time and effort.

Welcome to the forums from me too. :smile:

05 Jun 2011, 22:07
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]