View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 04 May 2024, 02:26

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 My thoughts on Supremacy 
Crewman

hey there, been a fan for a while but never actually got around to writing this thing, so here goes,

love the game loved the original, and still play it, i like the ships designs and the way the game plays, very similar to the original,

i was hoping that for the combat section it could be like the game 'Sword Of The Stars'. The engine in that game for that battles was real time and worked well even with large fleets, Only being allowed a certain number of command points aswell means you have to choose what ships to take in first, when a ship gets blown up then the command points are available again.

I do however think that the ships stats are a little OTT. So many hundreds or even thousand shield points and hull, too many.

I like all of the new special building for the races, and all of the new minor races in the game.

I cant see how i manage to get more officers tho, you should be able to build starfleet acadamy or equivelant from the start and upgrade to get more officers, as that would be where they are trained.

I look forward to reading any comments on my idea's, only wish i had the knowledge to help build the game, but i will keep testing and report back.

Richard, Birmingham, UK

23 May 2011, 16:03
Admiral
Admiral

richard1701e wrote:
i was hoping that for the combat section it could be like the game 'Sword Of The Stars'. The engine in that game for that battles was real time and worked well even with large fleets,

:mrgreen: We were just discussing the RT vs TB aspect of battles the other day. Even though I'm not a fan of RT, I do favor RT _battles_.

Quote:
I do however think that the ships stats are a little OTT. So many hundreds or even thousand shield points and hull, too many.

You mean in Sup or in SotS?

Quote:
I cant see how i manage to get more officers tho, you should be able to build starfleet acadamy or equivelant from the start and upgrade to get more officers, as that would be where they are trained.

Officers are going to be replaced in the next release, so don't worry too much about that. Replaced by something better, obviously :wink:
In the version you have, officers are generated each turn depending on your pop and your empire. The more pop you have, the more officers are generated each turn. Some empires generate more officers than others - I think the manual mentions this.

23 May 2011, 16:40
Crewman

good to hear on the battles front, it would be good to have something like Armada based or along those lines

i did mean supremacy, but i will leave that in capable hands and see how it all works when you have a functional battle tester

i can sort of understand that, same with the population support in original BOTF, so many ships were supported before it was taken from your credits, but i do still like the idea of Starfleet Acadamy being the source of officers

Richard, Birmingham, UK

23 May 2011, 17:12
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Armada is a nice example we should consider, thanks Richard.

23 May 2011, 23:40
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

i don't agree, Armada had a poor engine in which all ships moved completely the same (Definat and Galaxy for example), the battles were unrealistic because the ships that were firing were just standing there, no maneuvers, no nothing.

The game was fun, but the battles could have been done better.

24 May 2011, 07:07
Profile YIM WWW
Crewman

i agree with that, but the real time aspect of that game was what i meant, or as i said in my first post, Sword of the Stars, you could actually control what the ships did, to a cirtain degree, otherwise they would do there own thing, but still move pretty fluid

Richard, Birmingham, UK

24 May 2011, 07:28
Cadet
Cadet

Personally, I liked the BotF sytle of "pause, set your orders, RT enactment of those orders" as it allowed more strategy, or it would have if the combat moves could be properly deciphered or documented.

Sword of the Stars was "fun" but the maps were too big and the ships too slow. It KILLED me when the enemy ships would warp in on the opposite side of hte planet and I would have to wait minutes for the ships to crawl towards each other. They had the time compression but I woulnd't use it after I missed that the enemy had a seperate fleet and missed 1/2 a battle because I was looking the wrong way at x4 speed.

I would have much prefered the ships to start out much much closer, maybe just outside of firing range so you get straight to the action.

13 Oct 2011, 14:39
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]