View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 09 May 2024, 14:40

Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Special buildings for minors 
Supreme Architect
Supreme Architect

It was 149, but two were dropped because they just didn't work. This won't be a final list by the way, just a master compilation of all those definitely in, and their structures.

There are three points to take into account when considering a minor race. I had to adjust the races list to meet these criteria.

1. RESOURCE. Will the Resource for the race's structure actually be in the game?

2. NAME. Does the race have an official canon name?

3. ON SCREEN: Has the race appeared on screen, is there a picture of one?

4. TIME-FRAME. Does the race actually exist in the Trek time frame the game will be covering? (I was going to include the Verathans as a Gamma Quadrant Race, but they became extinct centuries ago).

Two races that I recently dropped failed to meet all 4. Having said that there are 3 races on the list that I want to be in the game, but don't have actual race names, they are:

HUNTERS (The Hunters of Tosk), the NIGHT RACE, and Grathon Tolar's race (from 'In The Pale Moonlight). That race has a provisional structure called the Forgery Commission, and provides 15% Political Sabotage. It may just be a matter of coming up with fictional names for these races, if we can all agree on them. For now I've called Grathon Tolar's race the Moropa. The Moropa have been mentioned but never seen (they're mean to be enemies/relatives of the Bolians. Tolar was blue, so maybe it fits).

The big thing to take into account is resources - some of the races mentioned

05 Jul 2005, 17:31
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

dafd you decided howmany of the minors are expandable yet ? its a lot of effort for you and jig sint it because you have to make ships for them.

05 Jul 2005, 18:40
Supreme Architect
Supreme Architect

By the way there were never 250 races, it was about 120. For now I've removed 17, but I've added enough to make the total to reach 147. Some of the races, although very nicely worked out with descriptions etc, just didn't work, or wouldn't add anything useful for this game.

Unless there are great protests, the dropped races (for now) are:

Algolians (space filler)
Fillandia (virtually nothing known)
Halanans (fails to inspire at all)
Cheronians (possibly, but just a space filler)
Iconnu (virtually nothing known in canon)
Kentare (very little known in canon - space filler)
Valakian (possibly)
Menk (possibly)
Krenim (random event)
Na'Kuhl (29th century race, definitely out)
Species 116 (no race name - could be resolved)
Sphere Builders (Random event)
The Swarm (no race name - could be resolved, but don't know if their swarm ability could be programmed)
Tarkaleans (very little known in canon)
Tandarans (very little known in canon)
Rigelians (primitive, little point, could be food race only)
Voth (way too advanced, wouldn't even touch the game's tech tree, and now a random event anyway)

Expandable races: I've listed 30 expandable races, although what races is subject to change. Wait until the Races List thread opens (tonight sometime) and it can be discussed further.

05 Jul 2005, 18:56
Profile WWW
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

:lol:

Good point, don't know where I got that number from! :lol:

It's a shame to lose this many race races from the list, but for the most part, I agree with the removals.

The races that are being removed to instead allow for random events is something that I for one agree with. Having them in the game as random events (Ie. the Krenim Timeship) would make any random game far more interesting, than if they were in s a simple minor race.

The 'space filler' races are something that I also agree with - there's no point in having races that have no real purpose. I especially agree with the removal of the Cheronians - I never saw any point in them.

However, it is a shame that the Na'Kuhl are not gonna be in. I totally understand the reason for not having them in, but it would be cool idea to have them as part of a 'future mod' for the game. :wink: (Not that i'm suggesting extra work for anyone...not for the moment, anyway :lol:)

I would also have like species 116 o be in the game. I would have called them the Arturis race or something, after the only member of that race we have seen.

I know sacrifices will have to be made, but those are my views, anyway. :wink:

05 Jul 2005, 23:17
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

im a bit dissapointed the sphere builders were remooved, i thaught that would have made a nice random event. But its no biggie.

07 Jul 2005, 20:00

Since they're in as a random event, they are technically still in the game.

They won't be a race you can have as members, but if they appear, they will start to change 'our' space into theirs. Their sectors will become uninhabitable, just like in Enterprise. :wink:

You will have to fight them (If you have the right tech level to do so) or allow them to spread. Simple as that.

That's what the random events hope for, anyway...in practice, we'll just have to wait and see what the God of Programming and all things Electronic says. :wink:

08 Jul 2005, 00:02
Profile WWW
Crewman

Krenim
I personaly would like to have the krenim as a minor expandable race with there strong warships and have only there time ship as a random event.

Voth
I agree with not making them a standard race but instead of making them totaly random cant we just have there city ship start when the map start and have themroam peacefully about. Unless someone ticks them off then prehapes they could then raid a few systems.

Swarm
Think they should be added if possible but only as a very large collection of strong ships spanning a few sectors maybe?

I agree I dont see why we should add some of the other races without names or with little or no information on them. Especialy species 116 as we have no name and theres only 1 of them left!!!

08 Jul 2005, 15:57
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It's okeey by me Davedz.. :wink:

Q: The trial never ended. We never reached a verdict. But now we have. You're guilty. Picard: Guilty of what? Q:Of being inferior.

08 Jul 2005, 17:00

I don't really see how we could have the races as both random events and in as minor races, micj.

Imagine you had the Krenim as members - then imagine that their Timeship appeared! I don't think that would work or seem realistic somehow... :lol:

It would be nice to have it both ways, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice realism for it...

08 Jul 2005, 18:29
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

Matress_of_evil wrote:
Since they're in as a random event, they are technically still in the game.

They won't be a race you can have as members, but if they appear, they will start to change 'our' space into theirs. Their sectors will become uninhabitable, just like in Enterprise. :wink:

You will have to fight them (If you have the right tech level to do so) or allow them to spread. Simple as that.

That's what the random events hope for, anyway...in practice, we'll just have to wait and see what the God of Programming and all things Electronic says. :wink:

ahh i see i misread the earlier post. this is good then i favour this.

09 Jul 2005, 11:42

It'll be the same with the Borg (And possibly Species 8472)

They randomly appear anywhere in the Galaxy, and start to fight with the closest races. If the Borg/8472 win, they take over the system, and it becomes Borg/8472 space.

They then start building ships and expand as if they were an Empire in the game.

You will not be able to commence Diplomacy with them, and your only hope is to fight.

With the Borg though, if you beat their first ship (A Sphere) the Borg will then send a Cube, then a Tactical Cube, and so on. The threat will steadily increase. You can either let them take over space (And be constantly under threat of a Sphere attempting to assimilate your colonies) or fight them and risk loosing your fleets, or winning and then having to endure the wait whilst the Borg send a more powerful ship to a random sector of space, and going through it all over again! 8O

I hope all that makes sense... :oops:

Anyway, that's the plan. Like I said in my last post though, it isn't definitely gonna be like this. We just have to wait and see what gavin can program. :wink:

09 Jul 2005, 12:09
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

I love how the Borg/8472 will be used in the game. A few thoughts, though.

With the progression of Borg ships, will you see the ships enter your space and make a trek towards a star system? Or will they just appear at a system? Will there be a length of time between the Borg ships coming?

Will they wipe out the population on a planet or will they convert the entire population with borg implants? When you defeat the Borg will you have to wipe out the entire population and re-colonize or will you be able to "un-borg" the population? Could the Borg appear anywhere on the map so that if they happened to appear in an isolated part of the galaxy you could happen upon the Borg already with a small empire?

What I think would be cool is ... The first Borg ship appears at a smaller system (just as the Borg first attacked the Federation at outlying systems in TNG). Later Borg ships will appear at larger systems. The Borg does not wipe out the population but slowly converts the entire population (Borging) (this will be like terriforming a planet -- bigger the population, the longer it takes).

Once you defeat the Borg ship you have to destroy the part of the population which was converted. If it would be too difficult to program destroying part of a population then you could do a "de-borging" (which would act like "borging" or terriforming -- the more people who have been borged the longer it would take to convert them back.)

Time: the Borg don't initially until a good time into the game. If you defeat the initial Borg ship the second doesn't appear until a certain amoung of time has passed. Once the borg appear no more borg ships will magically appear until the borg are off the map.

What this means is if you destroy the initial borg ship more will come but you will have some time to rebuild. Once a borg ship comes you won't be flooded by cubes appear everywhere. Instead, the borg will have to capture systems and create their own reinforcements. If the other races can wipe the borg off the map then another borg ship can appear and start the process over.

I'm not sure how that last part will work out. I just know that in BOTF I hate when one borg cube appears early in the game and by the time you move your fleet and are just about to attack, another borg cube appears on the other side of your empire.

09 Jul 2005, 16:55
Profile WWW

No specifics have been decided on yet; like I said, that is what is planned for the Borg.

From what I know though, it is unlikely that the Borg will assimilate in the way you say - they'll just capture the system, and after a little while, iut will start to churn out Borg ships.

'Unborging' would be almost definitely impossible. Either you bombard the system to kingdom come, or you capture the system, and assume that all the Borg are killed, leaving those who hadn't yet been assimilated, or that all the Borg are 'deborged'.

I think this post would make the creators' of the Oxford English dictionary cringe..:lol:

09 Jul 2005, 17:06
Profile WWW
Crewman

Matress_of_evil wrote:
I don't really see how we could have the races as both random events and in as minor races, micj.

Imagine you had the Krenim as members - then imagine that their Timeship appeared! I don't think that would work or seem realistic somehow... :lol:

It would be nice to have it both ways, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice realism for it...

Yes but when i expand into the delta quadrent I was looking forward to comeing up against the kremin imperium (think that it).

And I really dont see what odd with comeng up against the timeship with the kremin as members. I mean it could of been built in another timeline were the krenim are indepentant, and beacuse of them screwing with the timeline the kremin are members of another empire or weaker (remember how the kremin kept changing in year of hell? one minute there a beaten weak race the next there a large formidible empire?)

If its possible maybe we could expand on the role of the timeship
mabye if the timeship apears random things could happen to kremin worlds? IE there ships change from weak to powerfull or the other way around (completly randomly) or a chance that if there a member of another race they could sudenly become independant or extra krenim world could apear. Maybe have the timeship attack and oblitarate any nearby colonies to krenium space?

TBH though if it a choose between the krenim as a radom event or minor race I would ratrher do away with thetimeship and have them as a very powerfull minor race.

14 Jul 2005, 13:21

Some of your ideas on the krenim are actually already in. (At least they are in the random events, but they have not been finalised yet)

We are hoping though that if the Timeship appears in a system, a Planet will randomly become another type. (Ie. Terran to Jungle, Oceanic, whatever) This would be the effect of the timeship, like you said.

Your reasons for having them in as a random event and an actual races sorta work, but...I just don't know about it. I would still be happier having them only as a minor race or as a random event. Not both.

Ultimately it is Gavin and/or Dafedz choice though, so we'll just have to wait and see. :wink:

15 Jul 2005, 12:14
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

dafedz wrote:
Rigelians (primitive, little point, could be food race only)
I dont claim to know much about them (and no, its not where my name comes from), but they are shown in a season 4 ENT episode (an episode during the series with the Romulan holo-cloak marauder). The scene is in the begining of the episode, and its of Enterprise (actually the holo-cloak ship) firing and destroying a Rigelian ship. They cant be that primitive if they have warp capable ships, can they?

20 Jul 2005, 01:07
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are three kinds of Rigelians, all from the Rigel system-one a vulcanoid race from ENT and DS9, one a reptilian race descended from a aber-toothed turtle-type creature from TMP, and one a primitive race called the Keylar from TOS. The first one made the ships.

20 Jul 2005, 01:18
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Are they all from the same planet in the system?

Well now that we know that, lets put them back in! One question, is there actually a pic of the vulcanoid ones, I only remember them from ENT (where they didnt show what they looked like), not DS9.

20 Jul 2005, 01:30
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

From ENT "Demons" and "Terra Prime"
The Vulcanoid Rigelian species.
Possible buildings: :arrow: Rigelian Gene Therapy, Rigelian Gene Institute ect.
:arrow: Rigelian Trade Commission (cannon)

They use scout-ships Image

Bascialy huge turtles. Lay eggs, one gender, Federation members.
Possible bonus: :?

not viable for a race since they are at a mediaeval stage of development

Last edited by CVN-65 on 21 Jul 2005, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

21 Jul 2005, 13:47
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Intresting race... Back to the Borg for just a moment... 7 of 9 was "deborged"... Why couldn't this capability become available at a certain tech level? Then even if it were members of a major race were borged, they could become members and would gain an extra tech structure reflecting their former borg hive status that would allow ships to be repaired more quickly.

21 Jul 2005, 18:35
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

FoxURA wrote:
Intresting race... Back to the Borg for just a moment... 7 of 9 was "deborged"... Why couldn't this capability become available at a certain tech level? Then even if it were members of a major race were borged, they could become members and would gain an extra tech structure reflecting their former borg hive status that would allow ships to be repaired more quickly.

You mean you put a decent fleet to an assimilated system and then invade it if you have say tech 10 and you can gain this system *plus* a special structure?

21 Jul 2005, 18:41
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Cadet
Cadet

For 1, maybe - but for millions??

21 Jul 2005, 18:42
Profile WWW

If you've watched 7's 'life' on Voyager, you'll notice that it wasn't exactly plain sailing...

And that was just one person! Just like Martocticvs said -

Quote:
For 1, maybe - but for millions??

It just doesn't seem right to me. It also takes away some of the 'fear factor' of the Borg then. :(

Nice BIIIG pics, CVN. :wink: :lol:

21 Jul 2005, 18:55
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I serve 'em how I find them on the netImage
Happy? :wink:

21 Jul 2005, 19:14

No! Matress not happy!

Picture ugly! :lol:

21 Jul 2005, 22:29
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

CVN confused...

CVN just looking for things to make him go! :|

22 Jul 2005, 08:51
Reply to topic   [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5