View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 04 May 2024, 00:19

Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Special buildings for minors 
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Well that cuts down on jig's work, I suppose. :wink:

I was thinking that if they are almost an empire, that they should have two buildings to reflect that they aren't just a simple minor race.

It provides an additional reason for getting them to join you as well. (Coz you need one) :lol:

*Edit - I found a really cool pic. I'm not sure how useful it could be, but take a look at this:

What do you guys think? I know it's a bit late, but what about the prison of the mind structure?*

11 May 2005, 10:26
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

First off, the pic is pretty cool, but does anyone already own it (do we need use permission)

I kinda like Jig's prison of the mind, but maybe it could be used for another structure, like a...Halanan Psychoprojection Field. (I know, we aren't on H's yet, but i had alot of free time (5 hours) and made a list of structure ideas for a bunch of the races already (although some of them really suck))

15 May 2005, 19:41

Well the funny thing is, I found that pic whilst I was looking for pics of Utopia Planitia! 8O

The website that i got that pic off is entitled Utopia Planitia, but exactly what it has to do with Mars, I don't know. :roll:

Just take a look at the website, you'll know what i mean:

http://www.manor.org/~jeremy/

15 May 2005, 20:30
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, this topic's been silent for a while, so let's get the ball rolling again.
There are only two Gs and one was decided a while back.
Gorn Barracks
+40% Ground Defense
was the pre-decided one
we still need one for the Grazerites, my only idea was a farm cause they're herbivores, but the Mintakans already have a farm, so farm ain't really spewing creativeness, if you know what I mean.

23 May 2005, 21:28
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Grazerite Bio-institute
Having a natural bond with nature and biological processes, the Grazerite's Bio-institute allows the owner to study this vast nature of their homeworld in more detail.
+50% biotech research

24 May 2005, 12:12

Well that sounds cool enough, Centurion. :D

You've even gone to the trouble of giving it it's own description, so why don't we use it?

24 May 2005, 12:33
Profile WWW
Crewman

Alternatively - you could view their land as a huge nature reserve and count it as an empire-wide morale booster? Due to their affinity with their natural habitat, the Grazerite homeworld is one of the best preserved and unspoiled planets in the quadrant. Citizens flock from afar to admire the natural beauty and rejuvenate their energies.

The Graezerite Preserve or similar. Depends on how many morale boosters vs research enhancers you have, I guess. It sounds a bit hippyish too. :lol:

Was the Gorn one empire wide or just planetary?

24 May 2005, 13:37
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Probably planetarian. For as far as I know there aren't empire-wide groundcombat bonusses. It would be cool, though!

If we need more morale bonusses, we can combine the two idea's in a new building (in that case, scrap the other one I suggested)

Environmental habitats
The Grazerites' homeworld is one of the few planets in the galaxy where flora and fauna is still in its purest and most natural state. The environmental habitats allow the grazerites to maintain that beauty and allow visitors and scientists to research and admire these riches.
+50% biotech research, +1 morale

24 May 2005, 14:06

Ooh, very nice and hippy! Peace man!

Seeing as there are going to be soo many races in the game, with all those bonuses, the bonuses have to be a bit more restricted Centurion.

A bonus of around 30% Bio research would be more appropriate. If they aren't restricted, we'll end up with unbelievably massive bonuses during the game... :( :D (:lol:)

Love your avatar by the way Huntingdon! So which one of the emoticons are you? The assimilator, or the assimilated? :lol:

Welcome to the site, resistance is futile! :lol:

Happy posting! :wink:

24 May 2005, 16:31
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

okay, then. We'll just keep it at these ones:

Gorn Barracks
Rapid expansion is vital to the Gorn Imperium. The Gorn barracks ensures that the imperium and her allies never runs out of fresh recruits for attack and defense duties.
+40% Ground defense

Grazerite Bio-institute
Having a natural bond with nature and biological processes, the Grazerite's Bio-institute allows the owner to study this vast nature of their homeworld in more detail.
+30% biotech research

If everyone agrees, let's move on to the H's.

24 May 2005, 17:52
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Grazerite bonus sounds good, good idea.

Here's some H and I ideas (there's only one I, they have a non-canon name, but for some reason are still in) Some of these kinda suck and probably need replacing (Hupyrian, Hekaran, Iconnu, Hazari, for example)

Haakonian Metreon Lab
+25% Offense Tech, +5% Energy Tech
Halanan Psychoprojection Field
+15% Defense Tech
Halkan Monument of Peace
+1 morale Empire-Wide
Hazari Mercenary Camp
+10% Ground Offense Empire-Wide, +20% Ground Defense Hazari Only
Hekaran Warp Theory Institute
+20% Energy Tech
Hirogen Subspace Relay Network
+1 Scanner Range Empire-Wide
Horta Mines
+ 25% Raw Materials
Hupyrian Deuterium Refinery
+15% Deuterium

Iconnu Soldier Camp
+10% Officers

25 May 2005, 00:25
Crewman

Where are the Iconnu from?

The Hirogen one is very good, but the Hupyrian ones seem a bit off.

Weren't the Hupyrians into selling bettle snuff and making good servants? - Perhaps they should give us a bonus to trade routes?

Hupyrian commodities market:
Trade routes are 10% more profitable?

Possible alternative to the Horta one would be a bonus to terraforming - Horta gological survey: Terraforming times cut by 10%

The Hekaran one might be more relevant to Propulsion technology if that's still in?

Thanks for the welcome, matress. Naturally, I'm the assimilator. ;)

25 May 2005, 11:31
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Your Halkan building looks a lot like the Mizarian Monument of Surrender. Besides, you can't give an empire-wide morale bonus because of their peacefull nature. The Klingons, for instance, wouldn't be that happy with it. How about making a more unique bonus this time:

Halkan Diplomacy Ministery
In 1000 year of peacefull relations, the Halkans have developped supreme diplomatic skills. The Diplomatic Ministery coordinates transmissions throughout your empire, preventing many misunderstandings between empire members and outside factions.
+ x% bribe resistance among all member races.

I do not know in much detail how bribing of other people's minors is going to take place in BotF2. But I propose it to work someway as the Communication Grid from BotF, but then for all empires. A workable and realistic number can only be decided on by the real programmers.

25 May 2005, 11:46
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

If I read the description correctly, the Horta are sillicon-based (thus made of rock and minerals). It would be illogical for them to give a mining bonus since that would mean mining their own species to a level.

From what I read of it, perhaps it would be better off as a random event like the combat drone was in BotF. A random event that makes it impossible to mine on their world once you colonised it.
A true minor race would be a bit odd as I don't even know if they are sentient. I figure they aren't.

25 May 2005, 12:13
Crewman

Much of Devil in the Dark was devoted to discovering that they actually ARE sentient. ;)

They've featured as characters in quite a few of the books - most prominently Naraht - and I think we saw one in the animated series?

They'd definitely count as a minor race proper. I could see the Cardassians or Klingons not bothering to discover their sentients though.

Mining wouldn't be too odd, because although they're mineral based - they wouldn't be mining themselves. It'd be no more destructive than humans farming livestock.

25 May 2005, 12:24
Profile WWW

A planet is rather a huge hunk of rock as well. They evolved there millions of years ago, and yet there is still enough to keep them alive.

I think that would be enough rock for the purposes of a game. :wink:

25 May 2005, 12:31
Profile WWW
Crewman

Point of interest - The Filandia are listed in the Race thread, but without a description. Are they still in, or being left out?

We haven't assigned them a building.

I can't actually find any info on them either. Anyone know anything?

25 May 2005, 15:21
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had the Horta as mining because a mining building was discussed for them awhile back (they can cut through the rock, also, they decided at the end of the episode they were in to help the miners make mining tunnels).

I was writing the descriptions but decided to not write one for the Fillandia because of the complete lack of info. That being said a race with no possibility of description probably won't be in, by my guess.

25 May 2005, 23:37
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

This was the last post on the previous page, so I guess people will overlook it otherwise. ;)

Centurion_VarDin wrote:
Your Halkan building looks a lot like the Mizarian Monument of Surrender. Besides, you can't give an empire-wide morale bonus because of their peacefull nature. The Klingons, for instance, wouldn't be that happy with it. How about making a more unique bonus this time:

Halkan Diplomacy Ministery
In 1000 year of peacefull relations, the Halkans have developped supreme diplomatic skills. The Diplomatic Ministery coordinates transmissions throughout your empire, preventing many misunderstandings between empire members and outside factions.

I do not know in much detail how bribing of other people's minors is going to take place in BotF2. But I propose it to work someway as the Communication Grid from BotF, but then for all empires. A workable and realistic number can only be decided on by the real programmers.

26 May 2005, 23:12

To tell you the truth, I think that either bribery is going to be removed, or it is going to be severely limited in BOTF2.

We had a discussion on it a while ago, and people were (As far as I remember) unanimous in saying it annoyed the hell out of them when a minor was bribed away from their empire.

Because of this, one of the choices I mentioned above was made, but I can't remember which one it was. :(

Anyway, it may be that such a structure would be rendered obsolete by that decision. If it isn't though, that would be a great bonus! :D

27 May 2005, 09:34
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Hmmz, that'd be too bad. I disagree, actualy. It has to be possible to break relations with 2 factions. That has to include a membership treaty between 2 races. How often did it occur in BotF? Realy?

Besides, I just loved destroying relations between an empire and a minor with my spies and then moving the diplomats in to reap the benefits :D

27 May 2005, 11:11
Crewman

I quite enjoyed it too, and it'd likely be a big factor in Romulan diplomacy.

However - perhaps the intelligence section could take over - you bribe various officials to improve your relationship, or assasinate them etc...

27 May 2005, 12:47
Profile WWW

Relations can still change between races - members can still break away, as can your own colonised systems.

This was a discussion from a long time ago. Things have changed since then, and perhaps you will still be able to bribe minors.

I think if this happens, you will have to get the minor race to REALLY trust you - remember that the game will learn how you play. Every time you break an alliance, it will affect how EVERY race that knows knows of you thinks of you. Those races that are peaceful will think very poorly of you for your actions, whilst waring races may thank you for going to their aid, or will think you are dishonourable.

The game will be far more 'intelligent' than BOTF was, and these matters have been stated by Gavin himself. Remember that if you fancy a go at swearing in Klingon, the alien race may very well respond! (This doesn't necessarily mean the game will understand what you said though) :wink:

Of course, it won't be able to respond to every word in every language and dictionary under the stars, but it will recognise key words, (At least in english when first released) giving the impression that it does.

Just remember the pic that Gavin showed us in the screenies thread:

There you go then, now you can carry on dreaming of BOTF2... :D :wink:

27 May 2005, 16:12
Profile WWW
Crewman

Any more comments on the ones suggested here?

There are two suggestions for the Halkans, Horta and Huyperians - do people have a preference, or shall we move on with the remaining structures and consolidate later?

Haakonian Metreon Lab
+25% Offense Tech, +5% Energy Tech

Halanan Psychoprojection Field
+15% Defense Tech

1.Halkan Monument of Peace
+1 morale Empire-Wide

2.Halkan Diplomacy Ministery

Hazari Mercenary Camp
+10% Ground Offense Empire-Wide, +20% Ground Defense Hazari Only

Hekaran Warp Theory Institute
+20% Energy Tech

Hirogen Subspace Relay Network
+1 Scanner Range Empire-Wide

1.Horta Mines
+ 25% Raw Materials

2.Horta gological survey:
Terraforming times cut by 10%

1.Hupyrian Deuterium Refinery
+15% Deuterium

2.Hupyrian commodities market:
Trade routes are 10% more profitable

Iconnu Soldier Camp
+10% Officers

I think the 1st Horta one, and the second hupran ones sound good. If bribing isn't a huge factor then the second Halkan one might not be such an advantage - although it might guarantee that a minor race couldn't now be bribed away from you. Would that be a bonus worth having?

31 May 2005, 21:05
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree, we should probably get going and consolidate at a later time.
J,K,L
So some ideas:(Keeping in mind we need buildings for the J'naii, Kaelon, Kantare, Karemman, Kazon, Kellerun, Krenim, Kreetassan, Ktarian, and Lurian (Ktarian already have BOTF1 building))
(If you need to read a description for the Kantare or Kaelon, they are on p.18 or so of the race pictures for the game thread, they were never added into the front page)

Kaelon Fusion Reactors
+10% Energy Tech, +25% Industry
Kantare Holographic Festival
+15% Social Tech, +1 morale
Karemman Planetary Bazaar
+20% Trade Credits, +1 Trade Route to Karemma
Kellerun Harvester Hanger
+25% Offense Tech
Krenim Temporal Engagement Facility
+20% Sabotague
Ktarian Game Studio
+10% Sabotague

These are my only semi-good ideas, my ones for the rest of them really sucked.

31 May 2005, 22:19
Crewman

I'd say all of those are good.

The J'naii have me stumped - the only thing I can see them benefitting is Government Tech somehow (I'm not entirely clear what government tech is?). They seem to have quite a good education system, albeit represseive, so perhpas something building on that? Or:

J'naii corrective therapy centre:
+1 morale, 25% Industry

Kazon Battlegrounds:
The Kazon must prove themselves from an early age in combat arenas. These give the Kazon considerable experience in hand to hand and planetary combat.
+50% Ground defence. + 30 Ship experience

Can't help with Kreetassan

Lurians:
The Lurians are a slow peaceful people who are nonetheless extremely reliable. Consequently many producers are content to entrust their goods to the Lurians for safe delivery: +1 trade route

31 May 2005, 22:40
Profile WWW

I agree with all those said so far, except for the bonus for the Hekaran Warp Theory Institute - shouldn't that be +20% Propulsion tech?

For the Horta, all we can use (To keep it canon) is the mines. Increasing the terraforming ability just doesn't see like a good bonus for that race.

Also, the J'naii sound like their structure should be like the Cardassian re-education center, so their structure sounds perfect.

Government tech...i'm not really sure about that, but I think it affects your diplomatic ability. The better your tech, the easier it is for you to repair damaged treaties, or the easier it is to make new ones.

I'm not sure, but I think that's what it means.

02 Jun 2005, 13:13
Profile WWW
Crewman

^I suppose that makes sense for government tech. A bit odd though... I suppose the social tech is stuff like increasing production and morale?

The Hekarans would be more logical with propulsion tech - but according to the list at the start, that isn't an option in the new version. Energy tech is the closest you can get.

I agree about the Horta.

That means we just need something for the Kreetassans. Any thoughts? I didn't see their episode.

02 Jun 2005, 16:09
Profile WWW
Crewman

If memory serves, the Kreetassans were obsessed with ritual and formality. We could therefore take their buildings in one of a few different directions:

1. We equate their cultural formality with the Tamarians' very formal language system, and just give raw research points to be distributed however the player chooses. This could be called the Kreetassan Ritual Heritage Center, or something along those lines.

2. We look at things a little differently and say that their penchant for ritual would make them more apt to give a government/social research bonus, and we call it the Kreetassan Social Hierarchy.

3. We look at these rituals as something that holds their society together, and serves as a comfort for them: thus, we have a system morale bonus, called the Shrine of Kreetassan Virtue.

I figure that at least one of these should work. What do you all think?

02 Jun 2005, 22:08
Crewman

^They all sound good, but I'd probably opt for the second one, because I don't think there's a building that contributes to govt tech yet, while the other bonuses are already covered. Like the name for it too.

02 Jun 2005, 23:08
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next