View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 01 May 2024, 15:39

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 OBJECT DATABASE - FEDS 
Crewman

horadrim wrote:
While your talking about terraforming could I just ask for a terrafoorm system and then colonize button all in one. its damn irritating having to go back every other turn just to ask it to terafform a planet.

How about creating a colonization control panel that centralizes colonization control and progress info?

22 Jul 2005, 04:45
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Matress_of_evil wrote:
I think we're misunderstanding the misunderstaning here... :oops:

From your last post, I thought you meant if we don't get a concensus, we should just get rid of the Deuterium collectors, leaving only the Turbines as a viable structure...so how exactly would you get your big Deuterium bonuses?

If you went for number 13, at least we'd still have the collectors for Gas Giants, and Turbines for Barren/Desert Planets. :wink:

Right, we did have a misunderstanding :roll:
So, yeah, 13. Thanks for the explaination. :wink:

___
I don't know ike, but sounds like a lot of work for a relatively uninteresting aspect. Make a whole new panel to control terraforming is a bit too much in my oppinion. Well, we'll see what the others think...

In any case, welcome to the forum. Hope you'll like it :wink:

So, regarding horadrim's idea.

horadrim wrote:
While your talking about terraforming could I just ask for a terrafoorm system and then colonize button all in one. its damn irritating having to go back every other turn just to ask it to terafform a planet.

Is it possible to add another button to the Colony ship, like "Prepare and colonise". Terraform all planets (unless interupted by the player) starting with those with the lowest terraforming points and moving up to bigger ones. At any time you can interupt the order and select a specific planet to terraform or simply colonise what has been terraformed up to that point.

22 Jul 2005, 09:03
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Dafedz hinted that such a thing could be in for the Moons, so why not Planets?

It would make life easier, anyway...

We could have 3 buttons. (Of course, it would be five if you were a real control freak, but you get the picture)

Terraform Moons
Terraform Planet
Terraform System

22 Jul 2005, 11:02
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

A terraform system button would certainly be useful - I usually hover in orbit terraforming all planets (unless I need to grab the system fast) so I don't waste resources on unneccesary colony ships later on... But of course when there's lots going on you can easily forget about a system and leave your colony ship there doing nothing! :P

22 Jul 2005, 12:28
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

And it's better for it to do nothing over a terraformed system, rather than a ... How do we call not-terraformed planets anyway? lol, normal, I guess.

In a galaxy with as many systems as BotF2 this system is essential. You should be able to get a nice, non-starving, moderate-industry colony without having to check up on it every 2 or 3 turns.
The main thing there is the micromanagement (thanks for explaining, Matress ;), but the "All Terraform" order is a first step in releaving the player of small, tedious jobs.

22 Jul 2005, 13:01
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Martocticvs wrote:
A terraform system button would certainly be useful - I usually hover in orbit terraforming all planets (unless I need to grab the system fast) so I don't waste resources on unneccesary colony ships later on... But of course when there's lots going on you can easily forget about a system and leave your colony ship there doing nothing! :P

I'd vote for enhanching it to "terraform all and colonize".

22 Jul 2005, 13:58
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Yarg, with the potential to have hundreds, if not thousands(?) of systems, a macromanagement feature is going to be 100% essential! :P

22 Jul 2005, 15:28
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

good seems like everybody is on board with the terafform all and colonize. Ill shove any furtehr micromanagement suggestions on the micromanagement thread.

22 Jul 2005, 16:18

We'll still need a terraform button though - if you got hold of a minor race, how can you terraform and colonise their system if they already live there? 8O :lol:

22 Jul 2005, 22:18
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Matress_of_evil wrote:
We'll still need a terraform button though - if you got hold of a minor race, how can you terraform and colonise their system if they already live there? 8O :lol:

Well there was this one race, that had a nice saying.
"Irrelevant" :twisted:

Well, yes, we need it. There may be some situation where you might want (God knows why) a selective terraforming procedure. And if that happens, you'll curse the game for not having a single terraform button. An extra button can't hurt anyway

22 Jul 2005, 22:48

As i've posted before, they had another saying;

An extra button would keep the control freaks happy as well. :twisted: :wink:

22 Jul 2005, 22:53
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

whey my jammers are in :D

23 Jul 2005, 03:23
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Jarok wrote:
Arctic: Class P? - Pluto, Breen, several moons. Special Structure: Charge Collectors (cold zone)
Here comes Capt. Dork to make a nit-pick! :lol: In one of the later Ds9 episodes (after the Breen joined the Dominion, but before Damar went renegade) Weyoun and Damar are talking about their new allies. Weyoun mentioned the fact that everyone thinks Breen is an arctic planet, when in reality, it is (in his words) quite pleasant. So then why do they were the suits? Well thats just another mystery.

As far as matress' many energy options, 5 is alright, but I have a question. How exactly are we going to have wind turbines in a gas gaint? They have no surface to put them on, are we going to somehow have these turbines floating in the atmosphere? To me, this just doesnt sound right. Being inside the atmosphere of a gas giant is almost like getting too close to a star (in fact, te only real thing that seperates a gas giant from a star is the star has more mass). If a wind turbine was inside the gas giants atmosphere, first it would have to have someway to keep its level, and not be pulled towards the planets core. Next it would have to be able to stand the extreme pressure, heat, and (possibly) corosive elements inside the atmosphere. Lastly, how will the turbines actually work? On earth, for a turbine to work, it need to be attached to the ground, so that when wind pushes against it, the blades move, not the whole turbine. These turbines wont be attached to anything, so, I would think, that all these turbines in the atmosphere would just be blown around, not actually doing anything.

To me, this is how it should work. Wind Turbines on dessert planets. Solar generators on barren planets, and gas giants should only give you dueterium (just like how it was always planned).

As far as the terraforming options go, anything to make the game easier (ie. macromanagement) gets my seal of approvial. :wink: :lol:

23 Jul 2005, 17:39
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I don't really know how true your case is, but I'm just thinking about the game. Would this structure make it easier/more enjoyable... I think it would. As for a common sence explaination, well,... Technobabble? :lol:

Rigel wrote:
As far as the terraforming options go, anything to make the game easier (ie. macromanagement) gets my seal of approvial. :wink: :lol:

TERRAFORMING BUTTONS have been rated
:D Made just for you :lol: What you think?

23 Jul 2005, 18:50
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I love it! I've got my own seal o' approvial now! Is there anyway I can put that pic down if I wanted to, or would I have to make my own?

...either that, or everytime I gave something my seal, CVN would have to come in behind me to add it in. :lol: :wink:

23 Jul 2005, 19:02
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Rigel wrote:
I love it! I've got my own seal o' approvial now! Is there anyway I can put that pic down if I wanted to, or would I have to make my own?

...either that, or everytime I gave something my seal, CVN would have to come in behind me to add it in. :lol: :wink:

:lol: Maybe that's not a bad idea. I'd vouch for the sainity :lol: :wink:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/ ... proved.gif
that's the link :D ,hosted in my photobucket

23 Jul 2005, 19:23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

(Said in the best Mr. Burns voice, while steepeling my fingers together)

Exxcellent. :lol: Image

BTW, whos capt D?

23 Jul 2005, 19:26
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

:lol:

EDIT: Captain Dork :lol: from your previous post

23 Jul 2005, 19:31

Well there is a sciencey way that you could attach the turbines to something solid - the pressure at centre of the Gas gaints may be so great that the Gas at the very centre is actually solid.

No one knows if this is true yet, but it would account for the fact that Jupiter has a magnetic field about 10,000 times stronger than that of the Earth's - there has to be something solid (And probably metal) at it's centre to make such a huge field. :wink:

23 Jul 2005, 22:57
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

From what I remember from college astronomy, gas gaints have a core of hydrogen 'slush' not quite solid, but not quite liquid. And thats only at the core. Theres nothing solid anywhere in the atmosphere of a gas gaint.

23 Jul 2005, 23:03

But that's from what we know today - we're talking about technology from 400 years into the future! (Almost) Anything is possible! :twisted:

23 Jul 2005, 23:10
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Matress_of_evil wrote:
Well there is a sciencey way that you could attach the turbines to something solid - the pressure at centre of the Gas gaints may be so great that the Gas at the very centre is actually solid.

No one knows if this is true yet, but it would account for the fact that Jupiter has a magnetic field about 10,000 times stronger than that of the Earth's - there has to be something solid (And probably metal) at it's centre to make such a huge field. :wink:

From my point of view, jupiter has a huge magnetic field, that's correct. But as far as my wisdom of physics is concerned (I'm going to study physics at university soon!), such a field could - under some circumstances - be build up by special matter effects *without* being in a solid form. (For instance we know hydrogen is a so-called "di-pole". This means the electric charge is not evenly distributed and thus magnetic fields can be inducted. Given a real existing movement of such hydrogen in the inner spheres of jupiter, this is one explanation to discuss.)

Shortly, what I want to say: "We just don't know" is the best explanation today's scientist have, so we can leave it at that. :roll:

23 Jul 2005, 23:22
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Matress_of_evil wrote:
But that's from what we know today - we're talking about technology from 400 years into the future! (Almost) Anything is possible! :twisted:
Almost anything is possible. but that still doesnt mean theres anything solid in a gasgaint. :wink: We may not know alot of things today, but we do know enough.

24 Jul 2005, 07:14
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Matress_of_evil wrote:

This must have been the main "Carriers and fighters" argument :lol:

Well, gas giant physics aren't exactly my area of expertiece, so I can't comment on realisam.

Well, anyway, there's always option 11 (or was it 13), just drop the turbine thing, collector only

24 Jul 2005, 10:52
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Rigel wrote:
We may not know alot of things today, but we do know enough.

Mankind never knows enough... :roll:

24 Jul 2005, 14:11
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

ftranschel wrote:
Rigel wrote:
We may not know alot of things today, but we do know enough.

Mankind never knows enough... :roll:

Enough... is never enough (ROA#97)

Since we're all throwing catch-phrases around...

The thing is the catch-phrases don't really matter. You can belive science, you can belive science doesn't know enough, you can belive in Santa or you don't have to. Jupiter's core might be solid, might be liquid, might be PlayDoh. If Jupiter is one way some other gas giant might not be.
And after all this the only question that really matters is wether you can belive the idea that ONE DAY, in 300 years, humans will be able to harvest energy from a gas giant?

It doesn't have to be ultra-real just has to be plausable in 300 years :wink:

24 Jul 2005, 14:28
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

CVN-65 wrote:
And after all this the only question that really matters is wether you can belive the idea that ONE DAY, in 300 years, humans will be able to harvest energy from a gas giant?
Sure, I can see it, just not from wind power. In order to have a turbine somehow suspended in a stationary place (because if its not stationary, wind power wont work) in the atmosphere of a gas giant, not being crushed from the intense pressure, or drawn into the planets core from the planets gravity would take a large ammount of energy simply to keep this energy collecting structure functioning in place.

Trust me on this one, I'm Capt. Dork, remember CVN? :wink: :lol: :lol:

Either way, we've already got more energy strutures than the first game had. Will we really need one more?

24 Jul 2005, 20:22
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Rigel wrote:
Either way, we've already got more energy strutures than the first game had. Will we really need one more?

Well, that might be in question, now; right?

so, in any case.

A) sc**w physics, keep the turbine
B) sc**w the turbine, just get energy
C) sc**w energy, all I need from a gas giant is deuterium for my Prometheus :twisted:

Everybody, PICK YOU DOOR! :D

EDIT: :lol: Aye-aye!

24 Jul 2005, 20:41
Supreme Architect
Supreme Architect

C).

Forget gas giants for energy altogether.

Advanced Turbines on barren or desert planets is enough.

25 Jul 2005, 11:49
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

A). 'Cause there are two different aspects. One is game, and the other one is physics. As long as this is Star Trek, it doesn't matter for me from a technical point of view today, since it makes those gas giants somewhat valueable, which is really necesarry, if we would like to not piss of any player, if he scans a system and sees there are *again* only gas giants 8)

25 Jul 2005, 13:39
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next