View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 09 May 2024, 07:04

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 THE BOTF2 DATABASE 
Supreme Architect
Supreme Architect

Ok this is it. This is the compiled database of all (or most) of the current working data, lists and descriptions planned for implementation into the framework of Supremacy, and New Beginnings.

On the the left hand side is the navigation panel for browsing the various sections. But it must be understood that various elements are working proposals, and may or may not be amended as time goes by. But much is still regarded as WIP, and hinges on continued development and discussion...

BOTF2 Database

cheers

20 Jun 2006, 15:49
Profile WWW
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

All of the current graphics and UI's are being done by Silvercliff, Gavin. If you need a copy, he'll be the guy to ask.

I've got a load of Planets as .avi files if you need those, too.

21 Jun 2006, 12:28
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Ask Mattress for the link to the galaxy generator test I did. All the star images are included in the resource folder. If you want to play with the generator, be sure to snag the update as well. I think it might be in the Universal Evolution thread in the Staff Room.

21 Jun 2006, 14:11
Profile WWW

It's all sent anyways, Gavin. The resource files are there if you download the program from the links I sent you.

Sorry I couldn't convert the .avi's that I have, but when 10 different programs tell you that they don't recognise the avi type, you know there is something wrong. :lol:

21 Jun 2006, 18:10
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

AVI is a wrapper. You're probably missing a codec.

21 Jun 2006, 18:41
Profile WWW

That's the wierd thing. I can play the avi file in Media Player - so that means I have the codec, right?

Anyways, I downloaded a program called AfreecodecVT. It checks whether you have the right codecs to use a file of your choice. if you don't have the codec, it takes you to the appropriate site to download it. It's pretty good.

It hasn't found any problems with the files or with the codecs.

21 Jun 2006, 20:34
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

You probably have a DirectShow filter that allows you to play the AVIs in Media Player, but not the kind of codec needed by those other programs. I could be wrong, my knowledge in this area is a bit dubious.

21 Jun 2006, 20:40
Profile WWW

I've sent Gavin the resoure files from Supremacy on their own now, so it doesn't matter.

22 Jun 2006, 12:14
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I've been reading through the database for quite some time now and each time I come across something I'd like to ask, see clarified, or added. Due to serious time restrictions I will not do that until two more weeks when my holiday starts. I do have one pressing subject at this point I'd like to see added.

The issue is about the Minor races. More importantly, the minor race structures. I know we've been over this a trillion times, but I feel there is one 'resource' that is underrepresented, or more specific: absent. I've read about the new thought medical structures for each major race, you know: the apothecaries and such. It says that those are only constructable on native systems. This means that you cannot build any on minor races' homeworlds. While I think that is bad as well, I do feel that there should be a race (or perhaps two) whose special structure is a medical facility which produces +20% or +25% pop health. Of course, the race I have in mind for this are the Denobulans. I feel that something of a 'Denobulan Physisian Institute' (spelling...) might be more appropriate than their current special building.

Might be nitpicking, I just feel that pop health is something that should be represented in a minor race structure as it is not at this point.

More things about the database will follow in the comming days. For now I just say good work. There are a lot of new features in there I am very excited about. Keep it up!

25 Jun 2006, 15:09

I've notified Dafedz of your post, Centurion. Good thinking. :wink:

Medical structures are something that we thought of after we assigned the structures to the Minor races. In fact, there's a few other things that may also need to be included in this respect. He'll either post here or i'll let you know what his thoughts are. :wink:

25 Jun 2006, 19:36
Profile WWW
Supreme Architect
Supreme Architect

The point regarding a lack of medical structures for minors didn't pass me by at all, particularly regarding Phlox and the Denobulans, as they'd be an obvious candidate. But I wanted to avoid, if possible, minor race structures that offered only a limited system-only resource, rather than global. Medical structures only come into play and offer their value when countering an invasion or attack, beyond that they're redundant. This is much like Ground combat structures seen in the first game, such as with the Anticans, Selay, Angosians et al, and as such only granted a limited advantage of having them as members in the first place.

The idea behind apothecaries and Medical Centres was to employ an empire-wide health care system relevant to colonial citizens of the empire (Native Members) - and to add an edge to those colonies by having this ability to protect them. Minor races would administer their own medical concerns, each according to their own ideology (certain races would have no interest in you building them on their soil) - and those that you could say do have their own medical facilities just won't feature, or be acknowledged by the AI and its invasion stats etc. And minors have their own separate values and resources to offer which provides the over all balance.

25 Jun 2006, 22:22
Profile WWW

Yeah, that's true Dafedz. And worst comes to the worst, we could just make a generic minor race health building - like the basic shipyard in BOTF.

I found the fact that many of the bonuses were system-based was annoying. I prefer to defend my systems with fleets rather than armies, so there really wasn't much point in those particular minor races, for me.

...They had to be in though. The more races the better. :mrgreen:

25 Jun 2006, 23:45
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Ok, I see your point. But it just puzzles me if Denobula system has such a low pop. health value. The solution is simple, though. How about giving them a building which produces +10% pop. Health empire wide? They run the Interspecies medical exchange if I recall correctly. Sounds like the perfect name for something like that and quite realistic.

About the medical centres being for your own citizens, I recon that once an empire becomes a member they are in fact considered to be your citizens with all rights and privileges included. I can see you want to exclude subjugated systems from the list, but I do still think member systems should be able to construct the medical centres your empire can build.

26 Jun 2006, 00:04
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Dunno about you guys... but I wouldn't be crazy about a Klingon "medical center" if I were a minor.

Sounds like one-stop shopping for all of your amputation and eye-patch needs.

Anyways... I'm actually ok with the minors taking care of their own medical facilities. Perhaps the empire can have a passive bonus, depending on which empire it is, that increases the minor's medical capacity.

For example, the Federation could increase the medical ability of a minor's medical facitility by 25% while the Klingons increase it only 5%.

This would require the minors to have their own building already with a certain value to it already, which is just fine. The empire they are apart of could just boost it's effectiveness a bit.

The Denobulans, I'd imagine, would provide an empire-wide bonus with their special structure as well.

26 Jun 2006, 13:46
Crewman

Hello, I just want to say tahnks dafedz for this amazing database. I visit the page truly many million times & enjoy the every nut, bolt and screw. Sometimes I wish there is a filter-option in the minor-ship & major-ship list, but I put 'em into a excel-sheet & violà. I hope u never give up & never lose your passion for details. I'm a bit doubtfully about the progress of the supremacy game development, but infront of my inner-eyes, I see the game in your Database! Is it possible that you engraft sth like a 'last/latest-update-date' information?! Peace & sorry for my bad english (I am just a little german fool.)

10 Feb 2009, 17:26
Crewman

I located some little mistakes in your Minor Race Ships list. Don't know if someone take care about...

Tholian Warship 2:
Beam: 4 x 131
Torps: 4 x 75
Power: 1086 (824)

If there are 6 x 131 Beams it would be correct, but I don't know what's right. Another question... Is it allowed to copy the data & play a bit with? I already copy 'em into a excel-sheet & was able to splitt some data's (like Beams / Damg) to check the Power per turn. :-/

17 Feb 2009, 18:51
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Of course you can play with it. In the end improvements to the original list could be the result and that's exactly what we want ;).

17 Feb 2009, 18:54
Profile WWW

Yeah, play around with it as Mal said. If you notice any mistakes, let me or Dafedz know about them via the PM system. Dafedz is working on some database updates at the moment; he's adding in all of Kenenth_of_Borgs new ship images and adding in the new minor race special structures amongst others, so you might want to wait a few days whilst he finishes doing that.

17 Feb 2009, 19:56
Profile WWW
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples

Dafedz, some texts in your folders Intel Reports & Sabotage Reports in your database begin or have this king of expression such: %Empire% Intelligence. Why not replace Intelligence by Intelligence Service (I think it would be more appropriate for espionage)

this could give: %Empire% Intelligence Service

12 Oct 2009, 01:18

This wouldn't work, starfleet, because of the names of the various services involved.

Federation: Starfleet Intelligence
Klingon: Klingon Security
Romulan: Tal'Shiar
Cardassian: Obsidian Order
Dominion: err...Changelings lol

If you took those names and simply added "service" on the end, it just wouldn't sound right:

Federation: Starfleet Intelligence Service
Klingon: Klingon Security Service
Romulan: Tal'Shiar Service
Cardassian: Obsidian Order Service
Dominion: Changeling Service

See what I mean? It's best just left as it is.

12 Oct 2009, 09:54
Profile WWW

I noticed that among the minor structures of race, some of these structures are composed of people such: Ramatian Mediators, Evora Mediators, Cairn Diplomats...etc & i would like to propose some kind of sentences only for those structures in the SABOTAGE REPORTS:

Foreign agents have annihilated a %Structure% in sector %Sector% in %System% system. These persons will have to be quickly replaced (minor races structures in singular such: Excalbian Study Group, Flaxian Assassin Team, Hekaran Warp Study Group, Talosian Investigation Group)

for example this could give:

Foreign agents have annihilated a Talosian Investigation Group in sector b8 in Talos system. These people should be replaced quickly

12 Oct 2009, 10:06

Matress_of_evil wrote:
This wouldn't work, starfleet, because of the names of the various services involved.

Federation: Starfleet Intelligence
Klingon: Klingon Security
Romulan: Tal'Shiar
Cardassian: Obsidian Order
Dominion: err...Changelings lol

If you took those names and simply added "service" on the end, it just wouldn't sound right:

Federation: Starfleet Intelligence Service
Klingon: Klingon Security Service
Romulan: Tal'Shiar Service
Cardassian: Obsidian Order Service
Dominion: Changeling Service

See what I mean? It's best just left as it is.

I agree with that but it's for the following reason in the INTEL REPORTS & SABOTAGE REPORTS Section:

%Empire% Intelligence has deployed %Total% espionage resources against us.
%Empire% Intelligence has an overall strength level of %Total%.
%Empire% Intelligence has deployed %Total% resource units towards External Affairs.
%Empire% Intelligence has deployed %Total% sabotage resources against us.
%Empire% Intelligence has deployed %Total% resource units towards Internal Security.

i have a idea to propose: : remove Intelligence and replace %Empire% by %TheEmpireIntelligence%

%TheEmpireIntelligence%
------------------
The Obsidian Order
Starfleet Intelligence
The Klingon Security
The Tal'Shiar
The Changeling Network

same thing about this kind of sentence:

Sensitive information has been removed by %Empire% Intelligence from one of our upcoming targets. We missed a chance.

this could give:

Sensitive information has been removed by %theEmpireIntelligence% from one of our upcoming targets. We missed a chance.

%theEmpireIntelligence%
-----------------
the Obsidian Order
Starfleet Intelligence
the Klingon Security
the Tal'Shiar
the Changeling Network

Last edited by starfleet.command on 26 Oct 2009, 09:31, edited 2 times in total.

12 Oct 2009, 10:26

--I would like propose an idea about the kind sentences which include the syntax: %ShipType%

One of our %ShipType% (the %ShipName%) has been commandeered by treacherous foreign agents!become
One of our class %ClassName% %ShipType% (the %ShipName%) has been commandeered by treacherous foreign agents!

this give:

One of our class Constitution Cruiser (the USS Enterprise) has been commandeered by treacherous foreign agents!

--Question: I would like to know what the syntax %StructureType% means?
Is it intended only for the empires structures such (for example): Type 1 Automated Farm, Type E Plasma Reactor, Type 3 Matter Furnace

14 Oct 2009, 12:38

This change would be grammatically incorrect, starfleet. Saying that the foreign agents are treacherous is a bit redundant as well so i'd recommend removing that bit to Dafedz.

It would be more correct to say something along the lines of "One of our Constitution class Cruisers, the USS Enterprise, has been commandeered by foreign agents!"

14 Oct 2009, 13:39
Profile WWW

Matress_of_evil wrote:
This change would be grammatically incorrect, starfleet. Saying that the foreign agents are treacherous is a bit redundant as well so i'd recommend removing that bit to Dafedz.

Sorry I did not know, I took a kind of example

Matress_of_evil wrote:
It would be more correct to say something along the lines of "One of our Constitution class Cruisers, the USS Enterprise, has been commandeered by foreign agents!"

Yes of course! You are right!! but one thing remains to be seen, Is that Mike planned to include into the editor, the singular and plural functions for vessels and structures as below?

Attachments:
StructEdit.PNG
StructEdit.PNG [ 35.24 KiB | Viewed 12261 times ]

14 Oct 2009, 13:54

Dafedz, regarding the following sentences:

-The Ambassador of %MinorRace% has filed a complaint concerning a bogus report on planned exploitations on his homeworld. Steps have been taken to reassure the Ambassador and his government. We suspect a foreign agency of fabricating the report.

I shall see well replace it by this:

The %MinorRaceSingular% Ambassador has filed a complaint concerning a bogus report on planned exploitations on his homeworld. Steps have been taken to reassure the Ambassador and his government. We suspect a foreign agency of fabricating the report.

The Acamarian Ambassador has filed a complaint concerning a bogus report on planned exploitations on his homeworld. Steps have been taken to reassure the Ambassador and his government. We suspect a foreign agency of fabricating the report.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
-Several suspicious protests over our long-standing policies have been observed in the %MinorRace% system. We believe this is part of a wider campaign to erode our popular support.

Several suspicious protests over our long-standing policies have been observed in the%MinorRaceSystem% system. We believe this is part of a wider campaign to erode our popular support.

Several suspicious protests over our long-standing policies have been observed in the Antede system. We believe this is part of a wider campaign to erode our popular support.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A disinformation campaign has been discovered in wide distribution among the %MinorRace%. It is feared the damage done will seriously affect our relationship with them.

A disinformation campaign has been discovered in wide distribution among %theMinorRaces%. It is feared the damage done will seriously affect our relationship with them.

A disinformation campaign has been discovered in wide distribution among the Anticans. It is feared the damage done will seriously affect our relationship with them.

%theMinorRaces%
the Antedeans
the Tholians
the Malons
the Vulcans
.....etc.........etc

16 Oct 2009, 13:06
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next