View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 00:57

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Random events. 
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Obviously you may need to make certain changes for your own purposes, MStrobel, but otherwise the ship stats etc. have already been worked out, TheWhiteRaven.

I'm assuming you haven't seen our database coz otherwise you wouldn't have asked that. You can view it Here.

I'm assuming you will need the Random Events soon as well, MStrobel? I'll get busy with them on the weekend when I have some time. :wink:

We're up to 120 random events at the last count, and that's coz Skeeter thought of 6 more whilst we were chatting on MSN a few days ago!

I believe there's something like 6 times the amount of Random Events that BOTF had, now... :oops: 8) :mrgreen:

26 Oct 2006, 23:25
Profile WWW
Klingon Honor Guard
Klingon Honor Guard

You do relise matress that its all well and good having so many randoms but im thinking it will be alot of effort programing in the exact effects of each random event. So perhaps keep doing the randoms for now and later the programers will pick so many of the best ones to use in their games.

---
In general..

As even tho i have confidence in each project i do find myself worrying that theres just too much for one programer to program in a amature production project. I mean the amount of stuff in the ideas thread if that was all to go in the game mike jig and the others will be programing it till there old and grey. lol

26 Oct 2006, 23:53
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

When I eventually get around to doing Random Events, I'd like to have them scripted in either Python or dynamically compiled C#. That way other people with some programming experience can add more later. I don't plan on implementing 120 of them myself ;). More like 12, lol. Or maybe more.

27 Oct 2006, 01:21
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

mstrobel wrote:
When I eventually get around to doing Random Events, I'd like to have them scripted in either Python or dynamically compiled C#. That way other people with some programming experience can add more later. I don't plan on implementing 120 of them myself ;). More like 12, lol. Or maybe more.

I could easily program these random events. Hell, I could even start it now if you need me to. It's a nice minor project, simply in scope, and a bit tedious. It'll be pretty easy for me to do one or two in between work projects. If you can create one to give me a model, I could do the rest until they're all in.

Sincerely,
-Bored programmer

*edit*
Actually, would Random Events be another moddable thing? Thus, wouldn't it be prudent to use XML for this so that users can modify them as they see fit? Or are you referring to programming the different possible effects that random events can trigger and not the events themselves?

27 Oct 2006, 15:19
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

It'd be easier to have scripted/programmed random events rather than try to conceive of every possible trigger. Think about the Borg random event. You'd need code to spawn Borg vessels, AI to control them and move them around to assimilate worlds. Hard to do that in XML. If they're dynamically compiled at runtime, they can still be modified without recompiling the game.

27 Oct 2006, 15:32
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

mstrobel wrote:
It'd be easier to have scripted/programmed random events rather than try to conceive of every possible trigger. Think about the Borg random event. You'd need code to spawn Borg vessels, AI to control them and move them around to assimilate worlds. Hard to do that in XML. If they're dynamically compiled at runtime, they can still be modified without recompiling the game.

Alright. I can do that pretty easily once you're ready for that. If you do one or two as a model, that'd give me something to base the events off of and tell me what programming conventions you want to use, if that's applicable (I'm not entirely sure what the program design is for them atm). And since it's rather minor in the grand scheme of things, I can do that whenever I have some down time at work.

Is this something that would warrant a conversation at a latter time?

27 Oct 2006, 16:00

Quote:
Posted by Skeeter
You do relise matress that its all well and good having so many randoms but im thinking it will be alot of effort programing in the exact effects of each random event. So perhaps keep doing the randoms for now and later the programers will pick so many of the best ones to use in their games.

Yes, i've always kept this in my mind whenever I write the random events - in fact, i've been doing it ever since I started writing them with OmniQ.

Even though he's no longer writing them, i'm still keeping this in mind - I had absolutely no intention of forcing the programmers to use every single random event - i've just sat down and written every single random event that could plausibly happen in Trek.

So that ranges from Borg Invasions, to Species 8472 counter-invasions, to domestic terrorism and technology breakthroughs.

In case anyone was wondering, this is the current Random Event list. They're not in any sort of order other than the order they were written in. :P

Quote:
NB - Events that are marked 1 and 2 - eg. the Borg ones or the Ion Storm ones - mean that these events are intended to be two-part events. If this is not programmable, I will rewrite the event(s) accordingly.

1 The Borg 1
2 The Borg 2
3 Species 8472
4 Sphere Builders
5 Chodak
6 Giant Amoeba
7 Gomtuu
8 Jellyfish from TNG Ep. 1/2
9 Crystalline Entity
10 Doomsday Machine
11 Husnock
12 Calamarain
13 Echo Papa 607
14 Cytoplasmic Being/Void
15 V'Ger
16 Pirates
17 Alien Shipyard
18 Q
19 Caretaker array
20 Subspace Bubble
21 Subspace Anomaly
22 Graviton Ellipse
23 Dark Matter Nebula
24 Ion Storms 1
25 Ion Storms 2
26 Solar Flare
27 Positive Temporal Disturbance
28 Negative Temporal Disturbance
29 Hekaras Corridor Incident
30 Unstable Wormhole
31 Wormhole Discovered
32 Nebula Formation
33 Solar Wind Change
34 Nebula Collapse
35 Nexus
36 Supernova/Blackhole Formation
37 Comet Strike
38 Asteroid Impact
39 Earthquake
40 Supermassive Volcanic Eruption
41 Radioactive Explosion
42 Weather System Breakdown
43 Climate Change
44 Polar Shift
45 Tribbles
46 Neural Parasites
47 Geological Survey
48 Archaeological Dig
49 Advanced Starship Discovered
50 Advanced Starship Captured
51 Defector
52 Alien Fossils
53 Mutation
54 Lab Explosion
55 Subspace Reaction
56 New Subroutines
57 Discovery of Data
58 Engine Malfunction
59 Student Prodigy
60 Geographical Expedition
61 Discovery of the Dyson Sphere
62 Artificial Intelligence
63 Encounter the Cytherians
64 Encounter the Omega Particle
65 Encounter the Think-Tank
66 Covert Scans
67 Test Beds
68 Data Lost
69 Fuel Leak
70 Deuterium Salvage Operation
71 New Mining Methods
72 New Operating Protocols
73 Perfect Growing Conditions
74 Famine
75 Diplomatic Summit
76 Positive Foreign Government Change
77 Negative Foreign Government Change
78 Points Of Opportunity
79 Enemy Spy Defection
80 Compromising Material
81 Enemy Leader Assassinated, Relations Improve
82 Enemy Leader Assassinated, Relations Worsen
83 Popular Advisor Dies
84 Diplomat Rescued
85 Highway Robbery
86 Diplomatic Failure
87 Pro-Empire Speech
88 Anti-Empire Speech
89 Undercover Reporter
90 Commercial Terrorism
91 Domestic Terrorism
92 Propaganda
93 Terrorist Bombing
94 Terrorist Bombing of Ship Production
95 Warp Core Breach
96 Diplomatic Success
97 Enlistments Boost
98 Scientific Breakthrough
99 Influx of scientists
100 Academy Enlistments Record
101 Dishonorable Discharge
102 Academy Disaster
103 Computer Hack
104 Officer Exchange Program
105 Terrorists captured
106 Donation
107 Embezzlement
108 Trade Guild strikes
109 Plague
110 Refugees
111 Splinter Colonies
112 Renegade
113 Defector Captured
114 Conspiracy Uncovered
115 Ext. Affairs Breakthrough
116 External Affairs Crisis
117 First Contact Disaster
118 Severe Setback
119 War Averted
120 Civil War
121 Suliban Infiltration
122 Xindi Superweapon
123 The Tasha Killer
124 Scimitar

OBVIOUSLY NOT ALL OF THESE EVENTS WILL MAKE IT INTO THE GAME! THE INDIVIDUAL PROGRAMMERS WILL PICK AND CHOOSE WHICH EVENTS THEY WANT FOR THEIR RESPECTIVE GAMES.

27 Oct 2006, 18:32
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Matress_of_evil wrote:
OBVIOUSLY NOT ALL OF THESE EVENTS WILL MAKE IT INTO THE GAME! THE INDIVIDUAL PROGRAMMERS WILL PICK AND CHOOSE WHICH EVENTS THEY WANT FOR THEIR RESPECTIVE GAMES.

Eh, we'll see how many make it :p Two-part random events should be just fine. If not, we can always make changes to it. If there's a lot of copy/pasting for the random events due to similiarities, all the events you've come up with could probably make it.

If you get bored, perhaps prioritizing the random events for inclusion in the game would be pretty neat. There's no rush for it, though, as MStorbel has pointed out, but it'd give whoever is doing the programming an idea of what can be tossed if the need arises.

*EDIT*
Quote:
18 Q

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm curious to see this one. I could easily see some random outcomes here. Perhaps even throw in a Hitchiker's twist to it and have Q turn a starship into a bowl of petunias for 5 turns or so.

Whenever I think of Q, I almost immediately think of the Improbability Drive from Hitchiker's Guide. No clue why, but it makes me laugh :)

In a bit more seriousness though, I could easily see him instantly transporting a starship to a Borg-controlled system on the galaxy map. Among other things, of course.

27 Oct 2006, 19:03
Commander
Commander

Azhdeen;
*EDIT*
Quote:
18 Q

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm curious to see this one. I could easily see some random outcomes here. Perhaps even throw in a Hitchiker's twist to it and have Q turn a starship into a bowl of petunias for 5 turns or so.

Whenever I think of Q, I almost immediately think of the Improbability Drive from Hitchiker's Guide. No clue why, but it makes me laugh :)

In a bit more seriousness though, I could easily see him instantly transporting a starship to a Borg-controlled system on the galaxy map. Among other things, of course.

I can say, I had fun writing up the events for "Q". But I found doing V'Ger was much harder.

29 Oct 2006, 11:24
Profile YIM
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I expect that there will be multiple events tied with Q, not just one?

01 Nov 2006, 16:49
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

God I hope so. Although I question the frequency of Q events.

01 Nov 2006, 17:25

Actually, i've only written the one event for Q. At the last count there were 123 other events, so I think that's enough. And based on what MStrobel has said, he's only gonna have about 12 of those randoms in Supremacy...

Quote:
Q (A ship is thrown to a random sector. The ship will have to attempt to make it back under its' own fuel reserves, so making alliances with the locals will be essential. The chances of contact with the Borg - irrelevant of where in the Galaxy the ship is sent - are greatly increased)

F) Space is full of strange, new, lifeforms. Our vessel in sector _____ has encountered an omnipotent lifeform known simply as "Q". The lifeform used his wonderous powers to instantaneously send our vessel to the other side of the Galaxy, then it simply disappeared. The vessel will get its wish; the crew will surely encounter strange, new, worlds on its journey home...God speed to them, where ever they may be.

K) Contact has been lost with the IKV _____. It was in the middle of a patrol when it simply vanished! Last communications indicated they had made contact with an alien lifeform know only as “Qâ€￾. Records indicate our warriors attacked this lifeform after it insulted the ship commanders family name. Such insolence will not be tolerated! Orders are being sent out to all the Empires fleets, that should this P'tach show itself again that it be destroyed on sight!

R) While undergoing maneouvers along our borders, an Alien Entity was encountered. This entity calling itself “Qâ€￾ dared to challenge the strength of our Empire! Another of our Warships which was cloaked and working in the same sector recorded the moment when the RNS _____ simply disappeared off its scanners in a flash of light. A weak transmission from the vessel indicated that it was being transferred to the other side of the Galaxy. It will take them hundreds of years to return to the safety of our borders. Our Great Tal-Shiar will have a deep interest in interrogating this being should it be captured!

C) The Cardassian Union bows down to no life force! An encounter with a new species calling itself “Qâ€￾ dared to enter our domain and push its agenda on us. An Obsidian Order operative was aboard the Vessel, the CDS _____, when this “Qâ€￾ entered the bridge. The Operative managed to record and send the entire segment on to the Orders Headquarters before the ship disappeared out of our space. The Obsidian Order is currently studying this information. All ships are on notice to capture this “Qâ€￾ should it appear again.

D) An unexpected surprise has fallen upon us. An Alien Life form calling itself “Qâ€￾ invaded one of our ships and the resulting torment caused much upheaval onboard. Our vessel was last seen in sector _____, but has since disappeared. The morale of the people has plummeted, and some are even questioning whether the Founders truly are Gods!

01 Nov 2006, 17:50
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Eh, if I wind up doing random events, I'll attempt to do them all while Mike works on additional parts of the program. I'd really like to see them all. If only 12 are impliemented, all 12 could easily wind up occuring in the same game, perhaps with several duplicates. 123, on the other hand, would definitely add a lot of flavor to the random events and keep them... well... random. Randomly picking a number between 1 and 123 is much more exciting than picking a number between 1 and 12.

I asked this earlier, but is there any way you could give the random events list some sort of priority order? I'm still going to bet that not all 123 events will make it as each event would most likely require custom code. So getting an idea of which ones are the "MUST HAVES" and which ones are not as important/descriptive/exciting/whatever would be nice to have when the events are ready to be done. Thus, more effort can be put in the more important ones and the lesser ones can be scrapped if needed.

As for Q, I wouldn't mind seeing a small table of Q events. If a Q random event is picked, the event itself could randomize between a number of different likely events to determine exactly what Q does. If there were 3-6 different Q-related things, that'd be pretty sweet. I've got a possible idea for another Q event, but I'm not sure how much I like it atm, so I'll think about it more and try to flesh it out a bit.

01 Nov 2006, 21:32
Commander
Commander

So Azh your thinking perhaps another 3 to 6 more "Q" events? Hmm

I currently have about 5 in mind, but with so many not yet finished, I do not want to add more to the list.

As far as an order goes that would depend on what Mstrobel wanted.

I would like to see his choices as well. and why he picked what he did over others. This is not to be critical, but would help me in writing more.

When I started helping Moe with this, I figured it would be easy to do, but when you really try to place your mind to think "like" the Major your writing about, it gets a bit more complex. Although I must say I do enjoy the challenge! Each Major has its own querks and things. Rather fun to really try to think like them in real time.

12 Nov 2006, 14:24
Profile YIM
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I don't see why Q couldn't have a small number of random events that he causes himself. He appeared multiple times in multiple shows and given how much exposure the Feds have had with Q, I'm willing to bet other races have run into Q beings at one time.

Since Q is essentially omnipotent, then he's capable of doing a variety of different things. The whole "flinging a ship a billion light years away" is a pretty easy one, and I'm not entirely sure what else he'd do (perhaps even distract a ship and/or taskforce with one of his "trials" making the taskforce uninteractable for a few turns). I lack the creativeness required for these types of ideas (I'm best at tweaking ideas that already exist) so I digress and leave it up to people more creative than I at these types of things.

As for the prioritizing the random events, I think it's best to leave that in the hands of the people who created them. Mike and/or whoever programs them in always reserves the right to not include an event (or anything really) if it will cause problems. Essentially, I'm curious to see which events you guys are the most excitied about including in the game. Each event will require it's own programming, and some of the events might require some more complicated code (that's not a bad thing by the way). Essentially, I want to know which events you guys think are the absolute best and MUST get into the game. That way, we can see how easy/difficult it will be to include that event, or perhaps even program other aspects of the game that would be capable of interacting/implimenting the event more effeciently.

Thought: is there any way to get some random events that could benefit one side or another in combat? I'm not sure how you'd do it, but luck plays a large part in combat, especially random luck. If a solar flare of a nearby star eats a capital ship, that's a pretty drastic event. Or perhaps a ship gets stuck in a black hole's gavity well due to some fluctuation or something.

13 Nov 2006, 15:31

Quote:
Or perhaps a ship gets stuck in a black hole's gavity well due to some fluctuation or something.

...And it comes out 300 years later to find the Commonwealth has been destroyed and everyone you know an love died a long time ago...

Ooh wait, they've already done that haven't they? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been thinking about the events so deeply and for so long now that I honestly couldn't choose which ones I want. I personally don't think it is a good idea to start discussing which ones *should* be in the game, coz that may restrict MStrobel's decision-making process on which ones to use.

...After the amount of time i've spent doing them, I want them ALL to be considered!

13 Nov 2006, 22:05
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Shrugs. I was just wanted to see if there were some events that HAVE to go in that could be complicated programming-wise. If it's an awesome event (IE: more interesting than a comet smashing into a planet and inducing a climate change), but is complicated to impliment, it would then be worthwhile to invest additional time and effort into programming it because of the event's uberness. Essentially I wanted to know which ones would a) realistically occur, b) have a definite Trek feel to (essentially, would a Star Trek game feel Trek-like without it?), and c) is just in general interesting/amusing/humorous/otherawesomequality.

Like I said, I think just about all of the events can make it in (if Mike lets me program them, I'll make sure they atleast try to get in). But I was curious to see if there were some lines could be drawn. These X number of events MUST get in if at all possible, these Y number of events should make every effort to be implimented if not too difficult, these Z number of events can make it in if they're simple to program. They'd all be considered for inclusion into the game, I just wanted to see which ones would deserve extra effort into implimenting, particularly if they wind up being more difficult to do than others.

I guess it's not really a big issue, and it'll just end up as which events are easier to impliment as to the order they get implimented in, if at all.

13 Nov 2006, 23:23
Ensign
Ensign

It would be nice if some of the random events [negative ones] were somewhat preventable.

For example if you see a comet heading toward a planet perhaps a few starships would be able to divert it. Perhaps a plague could break out but if you got a medical ship to the system quickly enough it wouldn't be too bad.

I suspect that a lot of it depends on who programs the random events but it would certainly be cool if there was something that you could do about certain random events.

20 Nov 2006, 16:28
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

In fact, I desire random events to be interactive and reactionary as opposed to "Hey player, this event just happened, and this is what results from it. Thanks. Hope you can adjust to this new development."

As far as I know, there are several events that are interactive/reactionary. There's a borg invasion random event, a star going supernova (assuming you get some warning, you can evacuate population and technology), and others that I do not remember off-hand.

I definitely want to see more than just "A comet has struck the fourth planet of the Whatever System and it is experience a climate change. I hope you enjoy the change from Terran to Barren!" (Ha, it rhymes!)

Speaking of which... would planetary shields be strong enough to absorb the majority of a comet/astroid strike? Or at the very least still cause destruction (the shields would likely be toast, plus a bunch of other buildings depending on how large the object is), but prevent the climate change? That should be easily programmable.

20 Nov 2006, 16:50
Ensign
Ensign

Azhdeen wrote:
Speaking of which... would planetary shields be strong enough to absorb the majority of a comet/astroid strike? Or at the very least still cause destruction (the shields would likely be toast, plus a bunch of other buildings depending on how large the object is), but prevent the climate change? That should be easily programmable.

I'm not sure of the power of those shields and if you can redirect 100% of shield energy to exactly where you need it. At first glance I'd so there would be no chance but Star Trek level technology seems like magic sometimes so you never know :)

However one or more ships in the system may be able to deflect the comet enough so that it's not a problem. A fleet of ships [with 24th century tech] could probably just obliterate most meteor sized objects without problems.

Heck I'd think that you should at least be given a chance to lessen the impact of earthquakes, super volcanos, etc.

Granted the programmers would have to pull a ton of hours but it would be worth it as long as the game would allow such functionality.

21 Nov 2006, 14:18
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Alamar wrote:
Granted the programmers would have to pull a ton of hours but it would be worth it as long as the game would allow such functionality.
What's with everyone using the plural form of 'programmers'? Do I have some team of assistants that nobody told me about?! ;)

21 Nov 2006, 14:30
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I sense the pain in someone's writing hand (from all the programming alone ;)). Okay what I actually wanted to say was that if you understand German or at least know someone who do you may like to take a look at the BotE-ideas-forum. There are plenty of interesting random event ideas currently discussed, also with user-decisions. Maybe you can use some of them too or even have some creative additions to add to them too.
I think a little co-work cannot harm anyone.

21 Nov 2006, 19:56
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hello, long time observer, first time poster.

I had an idea for other Q based events, as opposed to just the hurling ships randomly into space. How about the Q Barrier blocks a ships path to a certain system or group of systems? Maybe a whole task force or even a fleet gets frozen in position for 5 or 10 turns.

Although it wasn't Qs doing, you could also have him displace a space station or outpost (DS9: Q-Less) or even have him rearrange the planets in a solar system. I'm certain that can be acheived, (being an experienced C++/C# programmer myself, i know how it can be implemented).

I also suggest a "super nova" event for red giant stars, destroy the system they're in like BOTF, but irradiate nearby systems too and dramatically reduce their population. (FYI: Did you know a star supernovas within 10 light years of Earth now, we'd all be dead from the radiation in 10 years?)

Last edited by count23 on 20 Dec 2006, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.

20 Dec 2006, 08:50
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

count23 wrote:
Hello, long time observer, first time poster.

I had an idea for other Q based events, as opposed to just the hurling ships randomly into space. How about the Q Barrier blocks a ships path to a certain system or group of systems? Maybe a whole task force or even a fleet gets frozen in position for 5 or 10 turns.

Although it wasn't Qs doing, you could also have him displace a space station or outpost (DS9: Q-Less) or even have him rearrange the planets in a solar system. I'm certain that can be acheived, (being an experienced C++/C# programmer myself, i know how it can be implemented).
lol, I like the idea of Q rearranging the planets in a solar system. You're right, both of these could be implemented rather easily. If you're experienced in C# and have a decent amount of spare time, maybe you'd be interested in contributing to the game?

20 Dec 2006, 08:58
Profile WWW
Crewman

to tell you the truth, i thought about it before when the BOTF II was back in it's, well BOTF II stages before supremacy came on the scene. I've found whenever i start a project, it ends up taking a back seat to the next interesting thing that happens my way, i cant really stay focused on anything long enough to be of use. But feel free to ask me for help coding (don't know much about the Graphics API you're using, but i'm resonably good at OOP and the biggest 'Trek know-it-all this side of the Delta Quadrant)

20 Dec 2006, 09:05
Crewman

I'd also like to suggest that the Kaelon system, (Home of the race of that name) has a random event where it destroys itself and takes out the population. The TNG episode involving them was in a desperate attempt to stop their sun from destroying their world when it reached the end of it's life cycle, Kaelon in the game should probably face a similar and uncertain demise.

Any a race specific random event, it would probably lead to an encounter, but you should have an event where the Nyrians hijack a ship that gets too close to their world, like in the Voyager episode. The minor race ends up with an empire's ship, but it results in an encounter with the Nyrians. The random event doesnt really have to be often or even repeated after the first time, but it's a nice little stab at continuity and trek-realisim :)

20 Dec 2006, 10:48
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I think the minor race-specific events might be getting a bit too detailed (the one you specified, not the contept). While it would definitely add a mission-like quality from canon Trek, we're not really attempting to recreate the Star Trek story into this game. Afterall, the goal is to take over the entire universe. That's not normally at the top of the Federation's "to do" list.

The fact that the system is 100% gaurenteed to be destroyed would simply ensure that players, once they find out about it, will devote 0 resources to that system since it will be toast. There's no gameplay benefit to it thus, no real reason to do anything with it past the first time you experience it. Besides, do you really think any of the other 4 races in the game, canon-wise, would care?

However, some random events based off of minor races in the game would be pretty neat. But I think they'd have to be more general like the other random events. They'd be unique, though, that they could only occur when a certain minor race is present in the universe. So if the random race generator skips the race or they get wiped out, the event would be deactivated (infact, perhaps this later could be a "solution" of sorts to the random event once it's activated).

20 Dec 2006, 14:35
Crewman

ahhh, but it's like the Borg, doesn't mean it'll always happen, just means there's a chance. All you really need to do is ensure that Kaelon always has the same type of star as the supernova capable ones, and there is always the possiblity that you'll lose it, but not a guarenteed loss.

20 Dec 2006, 16:13
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

count23 wrote:
ahhh, but it's like the Borg, doesn't mean it'll always happen, just means there's a chance. All you really need to do is ensure that Kaelon always has the same type of star as the supernova capable ones, and there is always the possiblity that you'll lose it, but not a guarenteed loss.

Then there needs to be a really really really really really really really really good reason to invest into the system. As far as I can tell, I think systems that are known to have a certain type of star will have them; which is just like Sol's sun being yellow, etc.

So, if the Kaelon's sun is a giant, I would imagine it would always be giant in the game if their system is even generated to begin with. That way, if they are in the game, there's always a chance the system can go nova - as long as it is a chance of course.

With that said, what's the benefit of investing into a system that does have a chance of being utterly destroyed with no recourse?

20 Dec 2006, 16:33
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

are stars going nova not a random event already being thought of? I am almost sure it is in the random events list from MoE. So if it is there, it could also apply to Kaelon. But than again, it could apply to all other minors as well..

21 Dec 2006, 00:00
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next