View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 23:56

Reply to topic  [ 2209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next
 Supremacy Pre-Release Download 
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

Super, koji dio? Meni u signatureu vidiš da sam iz Krapine

03 Jun 2011, 23:09
Profile YIM WWW
Crewman

trenutno sam u Zagrebu na studiju ali inače iz Međimurja

game is great
but I have to mention few things that would make this game a little bit easier to play
when you have lots of ships its rather troublesome to know where each of them is especially when playing on huge galaxy so it would be good to have a mini map on which you could see where each ship is and which type is it , or when in war an option to summon all ships to one location, possibility to put several ships in one group (fleet) so I can move them all with 2 clicks
I have a little problem on my hands, I have constructed 2 many ships so my credits per turn are slightly in minus (130k) :D
and I cant destroy ships or recycle them, well I didn't see maintenance cost on time so I am broke now but no problem there :D
and it would be great to speed up upgrades on planets (farms etc.), with new researches new types are available, and when new race joins federation I have to upgrade type by type, it would be easier to upgrade to current type that research allows, so you don't have to spend resources and time on old technology
I found Cardassians but they didn't expand their empire ... since I am playing on huge galaxy, I dont know how others are doing, but if they haven't expanded their empires 2 I would say its a bug

04 Jun 2011, 18:22
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Thanks for the feedback starkelja.

At this time there is no AI to run the Cardassians or any other race. You would have to play against another human to get the other races working. The other functions you are missing will, for the most part, be see in pending updates to the game.

04 Jun 2011, 19:13
Crewman

Just wanted to post to say I'm glad to see this project still actively moving along. It's been a while since I checked and had feared the worse. I'll be checking out the current version soon!

Edit: Played around with it and... very nice! I didn't expect such a polished-looking game with it being in alpha. I know there's pieces yet to be added, but the flow into playing feels very complete and provides a very nice first impression.

07 Jun 2011, 11:06
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Rikaelus wrote:
Just wanted to post to say I'm glad to see this project still actively moving along. It's been a while since I checked and had feared the worse. I'll be checking out the current version soon!

Edit: Played around with it and... very nice! I didn't expect such a polished-looking game with it being in alpha. I know there's pieces yet to be added, but the flow into playing feels very complete and provides a very nice first impression.

Glad to hear it. If you liked the last public build, you'll like the next one even more :).

07 Jun 2011, 13:53
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hi guys I report again

so I have played this game for few days now and found out that advanced irrigation network and ice breaking stations when built stop population growth

11 Jun 2011, 13:58
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hey starkelja, thanks for reporting for us. This is a known problem though and affects all population growth buildings. Our advice: don't build them!

I've got a thread here with a list of known problems if it helps. Some potential fixes are listed for a few of the issues, too.

12 Jun 2011, 15:53
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just noticed this yesterday but the link in the first post to the manual doesn't work: "The requested topic does not exist.". Should be a quick easy fix, I'm guessing it moved since that post was edited.

13 Jun 2011, 03:17

Thanks for the heads-up, Kaladin, i've fixed the link now. For quickness, the correct link is also here, so check out the manual and let us know what you think. :smile:

13 Jun 2011, 20:05
Profile WWW
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
I saw someone load this on a Driod pad. Didn't know they handled PDF's so well.

13 Jun 2011, 22:09

It works on my HTC Desire as well. :smile:

13 Jun 2011, 22:22
Profile WWW

Mattress, you have style :clap:

13 Jun 2011, 22:35
Composer of the Ear Candy
Composer of the Ear Candy

Location: Canada, thumping on my keyboard or smashing a mouse!
Nice! :winkthumb:

14 Jun 2011, 01:00
Profile WWW
Crewman

mstrobel wrote:
Strobel pities the fool who doesn't leave feedback!
Seriously, I've spent countless hours working on this project, and I really want to know what people think. So if I can put in the hours to write the code, you can put in a minute or two to write some comments :). Ideally, I'd like everyone who downloads the demo to post at least 2 or 3 specific things that they like, and 2 or 3 specific things that they think need improvement. Don't worry, you won't offend me. I'm not going to get demoralized and quit the project just because people offer constructive criticism ;). Believe me, it's better to address these issues now rather than later.

My heart´s bouncing! :) So far what I´ve seen from the game at this stage ... it´s good ... some balancing should be done like the mentionend starbase build-up time or merging single ships to fleets or with the construction ships as well. Disassembling ships for example I missed but the Status-Quo of the game is good. A lot of single races I missed in BotF are provided. Would love to see a beta with working AI and a working battle system for the ships/fleets.

An idea what´s far away from the usual BotF ... ground battles ... maybe this could be an interesting idea but needs ages to be realised with a good concept and good balance ;) anyway this is an opportunity to defend planets even if some1 lost his space defense. ;)

As well: would love to see playing the Borg or Species 8472 :) !!! :p but trading and relation ships ... naaaaah ... one race to rule them all :) if thought about should be a different system/balancing done for them because of the missing trade etc. etc. and the overwhelming power of their fleet ;) The Breen could have also a role as a race for playing or just as a hard race to fought ;) didn´t played until yet the whole alpha ... maybe they are participating :) in this case: nvm!

Best regards,
John1337

24 Jun 2011, 07:23
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Welcome to the forums John1337. Thanks for the input. The Borg could be a mod but for now they are more of a random event. Ground combat is something, like the missing 3D combat engine, that we could add in later.
:borg:

24 Jun 2011, 14:18
Crewman

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
Welcome to the forums John1337.

Yeah thx ... forgot to mention ... hey it´s my first post so hello to all :p

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
The Borg could be a mod but for now they are more of a random event.

Quite like in BotF? :)

One thing as well; Maybe for some single races like the Sheliak: They have some systems as their sovereign territory. I guessed in TNG S03Ep02 "The Ensigns of Command" they claimed Tau Cygna V for their sovereign territory. Would be nice to see some races having more than one system like the Sheliak.

25 Jun 2011, 01:12
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

John1337 wrote:
One thing as well; Maybe for some single races like the Sheliak: They have some systems as their sovereign territory. I guessed in TNG S03Ep02 "The Ensigns of Command" they claimed Tau Cygna V for their sovereign territory. Would be nice to see some races having more than one system like the Sheliak.

I think some of the minor races were talked about as being able to expand a bit, or so I recall. Actually I'm curious now on this point what the final call was on that? I don't think there are any that start with more than 1 system currently though, or not that I have seen.

25 Jun 2011, 14:38

I have some bad news on expanding minors, guys; Mike is seriously considering dropping having the idea. This is something that I have strongly advised him against, as it has been one of our key needs/wants/requirements since the idea of a BOTF2 first spawned 12 years ago. But the programming behind it would be extremely complex and time-consuming - he thinks he could finish the rest of the game in the same amount of time that it would take to implement this one feature. So as an alternative, i've suggested having the expanding part as a future mod, but he didn't seem enthusiastic about that idea either.

Still, there is one positive point; Mike has released the source code of the game, so if anyone wants to get stuck in with the programming, they're welcome to have a go. Programming manpower has always been a problem for us, which is why tough decisions like this have to be made.

John, we have no plans at the moment for any sort of involved ground combat, so if you're thinking f something along the lines of ground combat in Star Trek Online, forget it. That said...well...I can't go into too much detail about it at the moment, but system invasions will be much more involved than they were in BOTF. This is actually one of the updates Mike is working on right now - and I have a development build of the game with the new system invasion feature in it. I'm sure you'll like it - I certainly do.

As for fleets, this is another feature Mike is working on right now. Mike has added drag-and-drop functionality to creating fleets, and it's actually a really nice feature.

Species 8472 are currently planned to be a random event like the Borg. They will be randomly trigged only once the Borg have actually appeared, so if the Borg don't show up, neither will 8472. 8472 will specifically go after the Borg, but will destroy everything that gets in their way. Have a look Here for the random event list and race messages. Note the list is unfinished and involves a lot of reading. There is also no guarantee that any of those randoms will make it into the game in their current form; we don't yet know what will be possible to program in the game.

26 Jun 2011, 11:12
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

We willprobably have a scenario editor though, so it might be possible to make scenarios where players start with more than one system. This is just speculation though.

26 Jun 2011, 13:07
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Matress_of_evil wrote:
I have some bad news on expanding minors, guys; Mike is seriously considering dropping having the idea. This is something that I have strongly advised him against, as it has been one of our key needs/wants/requirements since the idea of a BOTF2 first spawned 12 years ago. But the programming behind it would be extremely complex and time-consuming - he thinks he could finish the rest of the game in the same amount of time that it would take to implement this one feature. So as an alternative, i've suggested having the expanding part as a future mod, but he didn't seem enthusiastic about that idea either.

No biggy, doesn't bother me. It is a very minor feature for that much effort and so it sounds like a good feature to drop.

Mind if I ask what makes the feature hard to code, I like to try and figure out the reasons behind decisions. This statement is more me trying to learn and being curious than anything else. I find logic/coding interesting along with this project. By the way this project as it is now is very impressive so anything beyond this point is icing on the cake in my eyes.

26 Jun 2011, 15:57

I have no idea why it's complex, but it's likely to do with the AI coding. I'm just paraphrasing what Mike has said elsewhere. I'm sure he'll op up soon and explain it in his own words. And this isn't definitely, just the way things are going right now. Tons of work is always going on behind the scenes. You guys really have no idea. :razz:

26 Jun 2011, 20:24
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

I'm not considering scrapping expanding minors because it's hard or complex to implement, but because (1) I think the feature will ultimately disrupt gameplay, and (2) the cost:benefit ratio is too high. The time and effort required to implement expanding minors could instead be spent implementing several other features. It's ultimately a question of economics. The same investment could get one big feature of dubious value or several smaller features with a higher combined value. In the interests of getting the game done in the foreseeable future, sacrifices must be made, and this is a feature crying out for sacrifice.

I do have a compromise in mind, however.

28 Jun 2011, 03:22
Profile WWW
Crewman

If there won't be any expanding minors, i have a suggestion!
What i have in mind is to give certain minor races (like the Breen for example) two or three star systems from start. I think that would be cool, if it's not hard to make.

28 Jun 2011, 14:37
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

amon ome wrote:
If there won't be any expanding minors, i have a suggestion!
What i have in mind is to give certain minor races (like the Breen for example) two or three star systems from start. I think that would be cool, if it's not hard to make.

That would allow you to find some minors with, besides more systems, more ships, population and all the other thingies that give the game more variety. I could see the majors more aggressively fighting over the bigger minor races as members in their empire.

Thingies: from the Latin meaning stuff and more stuff

28 Jun 2011, 18:09
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

There are some logistical issues that would need to be addressed regarding minors with more than one system, most of them having to do with membership and subjugation. If expanding minors are dropped, then much of the code would end up being written with the assumption that a minor race can only inhabit one system. That would rule out the possibility of minors starting out with multiple systems.

The compromise I have in mind involves shipping an "Extended BotF2" mod with the game. Among other things, the mod could change several minor races to non-playable empires with limited tech trees (so as to curb their growth relative to the 'major' empires). The key difference would be that those minors could not join another empire, as they themselves would be empires.

29 Jun 2011, 00:52
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

mstrobel wrote:
I'm not considering scrapping expanding minors because it's hard or complex to implement, but because (1) I think the feature will ultimately disrupt gameplay, and (2) the cost:benefit ratio is too high.
<<Snip edit for space>>
I do have a compromise in mind, however.

Yeah, I was thinking something along the lines of it might actually be annoying to have minors expand anyways. It partially takes away from the battle between the empires and potentially causes the galaxy to be eaten up faster depending on the number and types of minors generated in the map.

Your minors as semi-empires might be a great idea for a mod, sounds good to me, but above all I’m glad to know you are focused on project completion and making the tough choices that enable a fun yet realistically timed project. Keep up the good work.

29 Jun 2011, 12:32
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Kaladin wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking something along the lines of it might actually be annoying to have minors expand anyways. It partially takes away from the battle between the empires and potentially causes the galaxy to be eaten up faster depending on the number and types of minors generated in the map.
It's actually worse than that. Expanding minors would erode the value of minor races by making it (much) more difficult to get minors to join your empire. If an expanding minor doesn't get absorbed into an empire early in the game, it will become nigh impossible for that minor to join an empire later. Once a minor race expands to a few systems, it becomes a major power in its own right, and has less incentive to give up its autonomy. Minor races are inclined to join powerful empires--a minor wouldn't join an empire unless the empire is considerably larger and more powerful. Given that there would be fewer unclaimed systems up for grabs, it becomes harder for the empires to become powerful enough to woo member races. Moreover, there would be increased border tension between expanding minors and the empires, causing diplomatic fallout. Crossing their territory to actually engage the other empires could often lead to war. In many cases, an empire's only option will be to conquer minor races, which is problematic because (a) it detracts from the goal of the game, which is to defeat the other empires; and (b) empires like the Federation would be put at a severe disadvantage, as they would suffer a greater morale backlash from attacking minors.

It's just a bad feature. It hurts gameplay in more ways than it helps.

29 Jun 2011, 18:55
Profile WWW

Wow, can't argue with that. In reality it would take a major problem like the Borg for the intermediate-sized minors to join a major empire, otherwise you would be exploring the galaxy trying to find anyone who would want to join you.

29 Jun 2011, 20:55
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Captain Bashir wrote:
Wow, can't argue with that. In reality it would take a major problem like the Borg for the intermediate-sized minors to join a major empire, otherwise you would be exploring the galaxy trying to find anyone who would want to join you.
Right, the AI's decisions will be guided by motivations. Motivations like fear of attack would make the AI more receptive to alliances (or, in the case of a minor race, empire membership). If strong enough, fear-based motivations could certainly lead a minor race to accept a membership treaty that it would reject under other circumstances.

29 Jun 2011, 23:18
Profile WWW
Crewman

I thought that those minors that would expand, would do that in a very slow paste, so when you have 10 systems, they have one. By the time you have 20, they have 2. That means that they're still a lot smaller than big empires, and that second system wouldn't distrupt the gameplay, especially since not all minors would expand. Even if some would expand that big that it would become too hard to have them sign a membership, I think that would also be cool, because it would be something different than in botf and more "realistic", and it would just be something more to gameplay itself. Also if they would become too big, some other empire would start a war with them which could benefit you if you're in a war with that other empire.
I just wanted to share my thoughts, although the feature is gone.

30 Jun 2011, 00:34
Reply to topic   [ 2209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next