View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 20:53

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Canon Map 
Crewman

I'd agree about the Cardassian/Klingon point. On the Mandell map there's a thin channel of
Federation space that intersects the two empires. On the map I've been doing it's effectively
a gap about ten hexes across, so both empires just should be in striking distance of each
other.

The Betazoid/Vulcan question is answered by the Mandel map as well. The positionings
correspond with the requirements of the episode you mentioned.

07 Mar 2008, 11:44
Crewman

So...

Still on and off working on the 'canon' map. Sorry I haven't stayed in touch more. Really impressed with the stuff Aquila's
been putting out. Nice to see there's someone else obsessing over this stuff. Maybe we could join forces?

Anyway. On my 80x80 map, the Alpha and Beta quadrants are looking pretty respectible. Now that I've sat down and started
to plot the Gamma and Delta quadrants, a couple of things have become really, really apparent.

1. Because a large proportion of the show takes place close to home (good old Sol), there is an abundance of systems that
need to be accomodated in the bottom half of the map. As Aquila mentioned in his map thread, It gets pretty congested around Sol.

2. Consequently, there is a lack of authentic systems to be placed in the Gamma and Delta Quadrants. Taking the Delta Quadrant for
example, we know of for better use of a word, a corridor of sytems leading from the edge of the galaxy to the cusp of the Beta Quadrant.
The Gamma quadrant systems from DS9 are again, quite thin on the ground. Maybe a dozen systems? 20 at most? The rest of the 40x40
grid in each quadrant would be mostly conjectural for the benefit of no players, which brings me onto my next point.

3. Two quarters of the map will be essentially untouched. Even if the Borg were a playable race, thats two major Empires relegated to one
quadrant each. Assuming the Dominion are the only playable race, it'd probably take 100 turns for the Dom player to expand 40 squares
down and start encroaching on the alpha/beta powers, undoing one of the prerequisites of the show, that the Dom can only travel via the
wormhole. I had intended on plotting a box of neutron stars around the likely Dom territory but I had a better idea, which I'll come onto later.
The later tech ships (speed 4) could cross half the 'galaxy' in ten turns. Hardly a 70 year journey. What's the point of the Delta quadrant if
no one uses it?

4. The idea of squeezing the entire galaxy onto an 80x80 grid is a bit of a stretch of the imagination. In actual real world cartography, on an
80x80 map, the entirety of known space around the federation would take up one box to the bottom of the map, one for the Dominion in the
top left corner and maybe 7 or 8 for the borg in the top right.

I had the idea last week playing a new strategy game, but the idea might be a little controversial. Here goes...

I don't know if anyone's played the new Total War game, Empires. Or you may have played Medieval. Well, their approach to making the world
playable is to break it down into 'theatres of conflict'. There's one for North America, one for Europe and one for India. When you get to the
edge of one map there's a highlighted zone you can enter to take you to the other map. It's basically three maps you can travel between.

This is a good new idea because it gets rid of the need to have a big stretch of Atlantic ocean which needs to be big to be realistic, but takes
up valuable map space and still isn't really big enough to be credible. This was one of the complaints made againt Medievel and the developers
took it on board for Empire. The most popular mod for Medieval was one which got rid of the atlantic and mapped a more detailed Europe/Asia Minor
onto the larger, oceanless grid.

What does this have to do with Supremacy. I guess I'm advocating taking the Gamma and Delta Quadrants off of the main map. For me, the appeal
of the game, in its original form and its prospective one is the geopolotics of the Federation and it's surronding powers. The Gamma quadrant's cool
later in the game with the Bajor wormhole and it would be nifty to see if you could successfully get a ship across Borg space following the Caretaker
random event. But at the expense of the main point of the game?

I would advocate a 60x60 map for the Alpha/Beta quadrants, giving them the breathing room they deserve rather than being on top of each other.
And the process of actually exporing the intricacies of local space. The wormhole could take you to a 20x20 grid where the Dominion live, if the code
permits such a drastic change. Hopefully it'd be quite simple. And the Delta quadrant? Don't kill me Voyager fans but, I wouldn't cry a million tears if
the whole map fell by the wayside. The Borg could still turn up as a Random event which starts out top right and stats colonising worlds, just as they
would on their own quadrant.

It'd solve the problem of developing ships for 20 minor races that we never saw on screen that the average gamer will never encounter anyway.
Or if Voyager people want a minigame of say cross the 15x100 map, keep developing the minor races and mod it after or build it into the game as
a seperate campaign.

Maybe you guys will go for it. Maybe you'll build an effigy of me and spit on my name in years to come. If you do go for it, I could have a Alpha/Beta
60x60 (or whatever we agree on) finalised map by the summer. If not and we stick to the original plan, I've got half of the 80x80 pretty much ready to go. I'll hand over my 40x80 bottom half over.

half and someone can to the Delt/Gamm. It's mostly conjectural systems anyway

13 Mar 2009, 20:23
Crewman

I agree almost completely Outremer. Its amazing to me that you and I have come to almost the exact same conclusion. Sadly, I presented a similar idea, to the one you suggested, to Mstrobel over the email feature and was politely shut down. Id love to get you and I on the same page in creating a canon map ... and then go on to making an agreement with Mstrobel. I think his major concern was not creating a programming nightmare for the sake of map accuracy. As a map enthusiast with no functional knowledge of code ... well, in short Im bias for the map.

My major concern with the maps I was suggesting was playability ... wow playability isa real word ... anyway, as you say ... tons of stars near sol and sparse stars everywhere else. This will make playing the Federation insanely easy ... my personal opinion is that it should be very VERY difficult to build and maintain what the series defines as Federation space.

I'll have a try atta 60x60 and 80x80 ... then we can compare notes and havea discussion about how it should look. Hopefully we can edit it down to allow for equal player opportunity.

-Aquila

16 Mar 2009, 23:40
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Just because Mike says no to an idea, doesn't mean it won't make it in the gmae eventually. If he's turned down an idea, ask him why. You might be able to modify your proposal and resubmit it to him. Please try to keep in mind he has a million and one other things to add to the game though. He may have turned it down simply because he doesn't think he's got the time to do it. The KISS method is best; Keep It Simple, Stupid! If you come up with an idea, make it as simple as you can, then add padding if the idea needs it or if Mike agrees on the original idea first. Make his life easy, and you're more likely to get an idea in the game. :)

17 Mar 2009, 01:04
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Aquila and Outreamer, you have to do what show creators would do, use your imagination. I know there is no valid data for gamma and delta quad but that makes job even more easier. If i am correct there are 35 minor races placed in each quad, lots of them are expandable so all you have to do do is to come out with bunch of new systems to fill empty star map, expandable races like Kazon, T Rogorans and others will quickly colonize empty star systems (or you can place them at begining like owners of 10 or 12 systems). I wouldn t agree with outreamer that delta quadtrant is empty maybe there isn't placed a major power but there are many powerful minor races with high expansion ratio like Kazon, Hirogen, Voth, Devore... all you have to do is to place more or less same number of star systems in all quads, follow the canon information for delta and gamma where you can if you can't, make thing which is the most suitable for you and our game. 99% of players don't know how canon alpha quad looks like so little cheating in delta and gamma won't hurt.

I am looking forward to see your 80x80 canon map. Both of you deserve praises for hard work so far, keep up the good work guys! 8-)

17 Mar 2009, 10:28
Crewman

Hello all:

First, thanks mstrobel!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I agree entirely that the Delta and Gamma Quadrants are very sparsely populated. I made the same type of map mod for Space Empires IV, and it was a struggle. So, I decided to open the Pandora's Box and added the Star Wars and Babylon 5 Universes to my map in the Delta and Gamma quadrants (with additions in Alpha of the Earth Alliance on 'New Earth' a planet in the Alpha Centauri system). Of course, this is not Canon, but it would provide an interesting challange to the Dominion player in Gamma Quadrant (with say, the Galactic Empire/Rebels). In the Delta quadrant, perhaps the Narn and Centauri contending with the Borg (I think Borg are in Delta). Imagine if Londo sent the Shadow after the Borg....Hmmm. Of course, the Shadow and Vorlon would be non-playable...

Thoughts?

In any event, I would like to lend a hand with the delta/gamma quadrants. I own the ST atlas, so I can use that as a base....

Oh, one question. Are the dimensions 80X80 for a quadrant? Therefore 160X160 for all four quadrants? The bigger the better if possible/reasonable...

GB

21 Mar 2009, 21:04

Hey GeorgiaBoy, welcome to the forums! :)

We're aiming to make the game as canon as possible, so the Empire etc. are a no-no for the official game. However, Mike has created an editor for the game, so it would be very easy for someone to add them in as a mod. If someone were to do so, we would be happy to host the mod for you. Modding was actually one of the main aims of the game, since it is so difficult to mod BOTF. If people can mod the game, they can make the universe into whatever they want it to be, so why restrict players wishes? Modding is therefore an easy process with Supremacy. :)

I can't remember what the dimensions for the map sizes are exactly. The tiny map is about the same size as the large map from BOTF though, so that's definitely an improvement. You should try loading a huge map though - the Galaxy is massive on that setting! :mrgreen:

22 Mar 2009, 02:11
Profile WWW
Crewman

Quote:
"Matress_of_evil"]Hey GeorgiaBoy, welcome to the forums! :)

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Matress_of_evil wrote:
We're aiming to make the game as canon as possible, so the Empire etc. are a no-no for the official game. However, Mike has created an editor for the game, so it would be very easy for someone to add them in as a mod

Quite understandable. I would hate to make a mod now, since an update to the game would overwrite the files that I modded?

As an aside, what is the highest tech level allowed in the game? 12?

I'd still like to help out on the map on Delta/Gamma quadrants. No planet names, minor races, nothing from other tv series?

Quote:
I can't remember what the dimensions for the map sizes are exactly. The tiny map is about the same size as the large map from BOTF though, so that's definitely an improvement. You should try loading a huge map though - the Galaxy is massive on that setting! :mrgreen:

I believe each quadrant is 40X40. Entire map is 80X80. Is a map 160X160 reasonable? What about "Fluidic Space"?

Thanks for you quick reply Matress.

GB

22 Mar 2009, 05:18

GeorgiaBoy wrote:
Quite understandable. I would hate to make a mod now, since an update to the game would overwrite the files that I modded?
Yes, a game update would overwrite your files, but that's why the updater asks if you want to allow the update first. You can always stop it that way. :wink:

...Of course, that means you would miss out on any game updates, so that's a bit of a problem. The auo-updater isn't very clever either; it works by comparing your game files with those on the update server. If there are ANY differences, it will identify the differences as outdated, rather than modded, files, so will announce that an "update" is available. The only way to prevent this is to stop the update. There is an option to permanently stop it from checking for updates in the options menu though. Deselecting the option re-enables the updater, so you can try that if you wanted to mod the game. :)

GeorgiaBoy wrote:
As an aside, what is the highest tech level allowed in the game? 12?
Actually, the limit is 255. We've just created 12 tech levels, that's all. BOTF had 10 techs, but we wanted the game to stretch back to Enterprise times, so we added the two tech levels. As with almost anything else in the game, you can mod it to have any number of tech levels up to the full 255 levels if you so desired - but it might be a bit difficult to think of enough techs to fill all those positions, let alone think of enough buildings and ships to make all those techs actually useful. :P

GeorgiaBoy wrote:
I'd still like to help out on the map on Delta/Gamma quadrants. No planet names, minor races, nothing from other tv series?
No, nothing that hasn't been on either the big or the little screen - we won't even put in anything that has been in Trek games, books etc, as these aren't technically canon. But since the game is moddable, it doesn't matter. I'm sure people will come up with tons of mods once the game is complete and people get to grips with the editor.

GeorgiaBot wrote:
I believe each quadrant is 40X40. Entire map is 80X80. Is a map 160X160 reasonable?
The current maximum limit is set simply because anything bigger would put a real strain on most computers - if you've tried to play a huge map, then you will have noticed the turn processing times are considerably longer than on a Tiny map. Well the problem is only going to get worse once the game is fully working, because there will be a lot more information that needs to be processed. Obviously the average computer will be more powerful by the time the game is finished (We're probably looking at around 1-5 years for game completion), and Mike will likely come up with a number of game optimisations by then to speed it up, but even so, we will probably only really recommend that players play the Tiny and Small maps. The larger maps will be kept though for players who don't mind turn processing times that last several minutes/hours or who simply have the kind of supercomputer that most of us can only dream of. An increase to 160x160 isn't impossible, but computers would either need to make a huge leap in processing power, or Mike would need to find a way to make the game more efficient first before he would consider adding an even larger map option. (Map sizes are hard-coded in I belive, it's unfortunately one of the unmoddable things at the moment)

We're not planning on implementing Fluidic Space as such. I do plan to implement Species 8472 as a random event though. Whilst the random events are far from complete and will likely undergo a numbe rof changes before implemention, this is what I currently have written for the Species 8472 random event:

Quote:
Species 8472 (They pour out of a fluidic gate and destroy everything within sight - including Planets themselves and any Borg ships. You have to fight Species 8472 to stop the invasion. Species 8472 will only appear once the Borg have invaded, although if/when they appear will otherwise be random)
Whilst experimenting with the energy matrix for a new form of propulsion, a team of scientists opened a Quantum Singularity into another dimension; Fluidic Space. They encountered a species that are known only by the Borg designation of "Species 8472". It seems they were angered by our opening of the conduit, and have begun a mass invasion of the sector. The scientists were killed by the invaders, but not before sending a message that the invaders were moving into other sectors. We must combat this grave threat before it gets out of hand.
Glory is on the horizon! We have fought many battles in this Galaxy, and now we must look further away from the homeworld to find enemies worthy of the Empire. Whilst experimenting with a new method of propulsion, our yej'an opened a Quantum Singularity to another dimension. The yej'an and their new technology were destroyed by an invading species, and now they are attacking everything within range. Charge your Disruptors, load the Torpedo bays. There is glory to be had from these invaders!
Whilst the Empire would be content with simply conquering this Galaxy, we must be prepared to defend it from attack from those in other Galaxies - and beyond. Whilst our researchers were experimenting with a new type of propulsion system, a stable doorway into another dimension formed. Before we had a chance to study the doorway and find a way to seal it, a hostile species found its' way through and destroyed the research facility. We must show these invaders what the Star Empire is made of!
The Union is constantly in search of the materials it needs to defend itself. Whilst our researchers experimented with a new propulsion system to bring us those resources faster, a Quantum Singularity formed in the reaction chamber. Before the researchers could abort their project, a hostile species invaded the facility. Contact has since been lost with several other facilities in the area. The Navy will teach these invaders a lesson they will never forget. Cardassia can and will defend itself.
The Gods protect us from the evil of the Universe. Whilst our researchers experimented with a new propulsion system that will allow us to spread the message of the Founders further than ever before, a Quantum Singularity to another dimension formed. The facility was destroyed by the evil that came through from another dimension. The Gods have told us that we must combat this evil; else we shall fall from their favour. We must not let that happen. We will not let it happen. We shall send the evil back to where it came from and gain eternal glory in the afterlife.

What do you think? :)

GeorgiaBoy wrote:
Thanks for you quick reply Matress.
I'm usually on the forums several times a day. It's rare for me not to reply quickly.

...Addiction is a terrible thing. :lol:

22 Mar 2009, 12:30
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hi MoE,

Quote:
Yes, a game update would overwrite your files, but that's why the updater asks if you want to allow the update first. You can always stop it that way.

...Of course, that means you would miss out on any game updates, so that's a bit of a problem. The auo-updater isn't very clever either; it works by comparing your game files with those on the update server. If there are ANY differences, it will identify the differences as outdated, rather than modded, files, so will announce that an "update" is available. The only way to prevent this is to stop the update. There is an option to permanently stop it from checking for updates in the options menu though. Deselecting the option re-enables the updater, so you can try that if you wanted to mod the game.

Looks like no modding for me for a while.

Quote:
No, nothing that hasn't been on either the big or the little screen - we won't even put in anything that has been in Trek games, books etc, as these aren't technically canon. But since the game is moddable, it doesn't matter. I'm sure people will come up with tons of mods once the game is complete and people get to grips with the editor.

How about the Organians? How are they handled?

Quote:
The larger maps will be kept though for players who don't mind turn processing times that last several minutes/hours or who simply have the kind of supercomputer that most of us can only dream of. An increase to 160x160 isn't impossible, but computers would either need to make a huge leap in processing power, or Mike would need to find a way to make the game more efficient first before he would consider adding an even larger map option. (Map sizes are hard-coded in I belive, it's unfortunately one of the unmoddable things at the moment)

In the classic game ELITE by David Braben (yes, I am showing my age), he used overlay files (.OVL) to simulate an infinate universe with the resources of a Commodore 64. Of course, the AI was about a smart as a pet rock getting run over on a superhighway. With the I7 intel processor, maybe 160X160 could be an option for folks who own a high-end PC?

Quote:
What do you think?
(about the species 8472 random event)

Well done. You should write short stories.

Have a good one!

GB

23 Mar 2009, 00:04

GeorgiaBoy wrote:
Looks like no modding for me for a while.
Modding the game isn't that bad; actually, i've my content updates for the game are technically one big mod, so I know from experience that it's manageable. Just give it a try, please don't just give up based on what i've said.

GeorgiaBoy wrote:
How about the Organians? How are they handled?
Actually, we haven't discussed the Organians yet. In all likelihood, they will either be in as a random event, or will be a minor race. We'll have to see what people want them to be. I personally don't know much about them because I never saw the TOS episode they were from, but I've got Starfleet Command 2 so I at least know that the Organians are idiots with the power of Q. :lol:

GeorgiaBoy wrote:
In the classic game ELITE by David Braben (yes, I am showing my age), he used overlay files (.OVL) to simulate an infinate universe with the resources of a Commodore 64. Of course, the AI was about a smart as a pet rock getting run over on a superhighway. With the I7 intel processor, maybe 160X160 could be an option for folks who own a high-end PC?
That may be so, if even half of the things i've heard of the I7 are true then it's capable of truly phenominal performance. But ultimately it's up to Mike to decide whether he wants to add the capability for it or not - he's definitely not going to if there isn't a lot of support for it.

GeorgiaBoy wrote:
Well done. You should write short stories.
Err...i've never thought about writing stories. The text is the empire-specific random event message that you will *hopefully* see whenever a random event occurs. I've been writing those randoms for well over two years now, although admittedly there's still tons or work to be done on them and i've barely worked on them in the last six months or so. The Species 8472 event was just an extract from that list. You can read the full list and event messages Here.

23 Mar 2009, 01:24
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hi MoE,

Up very late I see...

Quote:
Modding the game isn't that bad; actually, i've my content updates for the game are technically one big mod, so I know from experience that it's manageable. Just give it a try, please don't just give up based on what i've said.

It is quite easy to mod compared to say, Diablo II...I have tried it. However, I do not want my work overwritten by an update.

Quote:
Actually, we haven't discussed the Organians yet. In all likelihood, they will either be in as a random event, or will be a minor race. We'll have to see what people want them to be. I personally don't know much about them because I never saw the TOS episode they were from, but I've got Starfleet Command 2 so I at least know that the Organians are idiots with the power of Q.

The Organians may be naive...probably best as a random event. A poll perhaps?

Quote:
The Species 8472 event was just an extract from that list.

You wrote that list, though...very creative.

Have a good morning,

GB

23 Mar 2009, 03:12

Half past midnight isn't that late... :?

You could always make backups of your modded files before you allow updates to occur;

• If you make any building, ship, race, star system, or tech changes, then back up your Supremacy/Resources/Data folder.
  • If you make any changes to the Tech descriptions, back up your Supremacy/Resources/Strings folder.
  • If you make any changes to the map data, such as planet sizes or Nebula names, back up your Supremacy/Resources/Tables folder.
  • If you make any changes to the images, back up your Supremacy/Resources/Images folder (Or just the specific image folder(s) inside that folder where you made the changes)

Once the update is complete, just delete the folders from Supremacy then replace them with the folders that you backed up. Deleteing the folders first ensure there aren't any file conflicts. Mike rarely makes changes to these folders to my knowledge, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

If people want the Organians to be a random event, we will need to think of *what* effect that random event will actually have. If you check my list, you'll see that i've already got a huge amount of different effects from different randoms. They could perhaps force an immediate ceasefire in a war that you're waging, for instance...

Oh, and thanks for the compliment. :)

23 Mar 2009, 11:22
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The problem with a strictly-canon map is that you would have to build the map from the perspective of the Federation since every single moment of each TV series and movie was also from the perspective of the Federation. Naturally, since the Delta and Gamma quadrants are so far away, the Federation would have had more difficulty going to all of the systems out there. Naturally, this would mean that the most known star systems would be nearest to Sol.

Your best bet is to map every single known system you can. Afterwards, you would need to analyze the system density around Sol, and then fill up the empty space around the other four empires so that they have equivelant densities. I realize that the minor races in the game are only those that are known to be in Star Trek lore. But again, this is only from the perspective of the Federation. There are four full TV serieses that dealt with things going on in the Alpha and Beta quadrants, plus tens of movies. There was only one entire TV series (Voy) and half of another (DS9) that dealt with anything even outside of those first two quadrants with any regularity (and even then, Voyager cheated a whole lot to get home, skipping past potentially hundreds of minor races while DS9 always used the warm hole).

So, of course the Federation would have a massive advantage in a "strictly canon" map. Every ounce of Star Trek is about the Federation, what more could you expect? If you want to make a playable canon map, you'll have to compromise some where by either making some things up in terms of systems and minor races near the other major empires, or simply rescale all of the known star systems in the universe so that they are distributed evenly across the map and not just clustered around Sol.

24 Mar 2009, 13:19
Crewman

I agree in a way ... but think it should be approached from the opposite direction. Once you determine what the empire with the lowest density of stars is, other empires should be made comparable to ensure decent game play.

I really cant get on board with the idea of randomly populating data on the canon map ... it seems like defeating the whole purpose.

Also, is it possible that everyone can agree the canon map should basically be a "zoom in" for our spiral galaxy? It really is impossible to represent our entire galaxy in an 80 by 80 map.

25 Mar 2009, 01:04

Whilst i'm not 100% sre about this, I believe Mike has plans to add a map-editing/creation capability to the editor, which will also include the ability to turn off the Quadrant lines on the map - so you could create a canon Alpha Quadrant only map. That would make your lives easier. :P

I don't know if he plans to include a way for you to set which lines are visible though, other than turning them all on or all off. The benefit of selecting whether you can see them would be that you could create a map with both the Alpha and Beta Quadrants but not the Gamma or Delta Quadrants if you could select just a vertical line, for instance.

25 Mar 2009, 01:09
Profile WWW
Crewman

The editor certainly sounds cool, I was under the impression that a canon map was something that was being considered for the general release of the game. I know thats all up still up in the air. It sounds like there will be a war of map options once the game reaches the right level of completion, perhaps rightly so. My concern would then be the mod feature. I don't know jack about writing code ... but I love maps. So Im hoping there will be a functional intuitive means of placing systems on the map in the editor, any idea how that will look? Can it be a feature right in the game?

25 Mar 2009, 04:54
Crewman

+1 but only if the editor is of no/little additional effort from mstrobel and distinguished company

GB

30 Mar 2009, 20:32
Crewman

Per Outremer84's suggestion, I threw together a map using Excel and the Star Trek Star Charts manual. I have spaced the empires out a bit to allow for each empire to have an equal chance.

Attachments:
File comment: Nicely spaced out empires. Using the Star Trek Star Charts Charts and some spacing intended to equal out the the empires.
Playable 20x20 with colors.xls [17 KiB]
Downloaded 277 times
File comment: Nicely spaced out empires. Using the Star Trek Star Charts Charts and some spacing intended to equal out the the empires with old BotF border rules
Playable 20x20.xls [16.5 KiB]
Downloaded 247 times
31 Mar 2009, 03:35
Crewman

Matress_of_evil wrote:
Half past midnight isn't that late... :?

You could always make backups of your modded files before you allow updates to occur;

• If you make any building, ship, race, star system, or tech changes, then back up your Supremacy/Resources/Data folder.
  • If you make any changes to the Tech descriptions, back up your Supremacy/Resources/Strings folder.
  • If you make any changes to the map data, such as planet sizes or Nebula names, back up your Supremacy/Resources/Tables folder.
  • If you make any changes to the images, back up your Supremacy/Resources/Images folder (Or just the specific image folder(s) inside that folder where you made the changes)

Once the update is complete, just delete the folders from Supremacy then replace them with the folders that you backed up. Deleteing the folders first ensure there aren't any file conflicts. Mike rarely makes changes to these folders to my knowledge, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

If people want the Organians to be a random event, we will need to think of *what* effect that random event will actually have. If you check my list, you'll see that i've already got a huge amount of different effects from different randoms. They could perhaps force an immediate ceasefire in a war that you're waging, for instance...

Oh, and thanks for the compliment. :)

The problem is that the modded part would not have any updated info. As an estimate, how much of the content is finished? I really do like the editor--it is quite simple to use (although I have yet to be able to add a ship image--placed a 270X225 vorlondreadnaught.png in the images folder--does not show up in editor).

Thanks again,

GB

02 Apr 2009, 21:20

Mike is currently working on Editor version 3 at the moment, so expect changes and improvements in the future. I've already sent Mike a list of bug fixes andadditions that I would like include, but if you can think of any improvements you would like to see, feel free to let Mike know about them.

Not having the updated info is something that i've had to live with ever since I started doing the content updates - there's been a few times where i've had to update my game and intentionally lost a chunk of content updates just to ensure my updates will work with the game. Fortunately, Mike warns me whenever updates may potentially cause me problems, so that hasn't happened for a while now. The lack of updates since christmas has also meant I can get stuck in with the shiplist updates, although I send Mike a fully copy of the updates every few weeks or so to ensure he has relatively up to date files. Since my update usually includes new images that Kenneth_of_Borg, Valcoren, SJ2290, or Zeleni have made, I have to send him a copy of my entire resources folder, which currently stands at 124mb. (Approx 109mb zipped)

If you're adding images to the game, you have to do one of two things to ensure it will show up:

1) Name the object EXACTLY the same as the image. The image will show up automatically then. So, for instance, since your image is called vorlondreadnaught, the object must be named VORLONDREADNAUGHT in the editor. (The editor forces the capitalisation of the name). The image will NOT display if it is called VORLON DREADNAUGHT, VORLON DREADNOUGHT, VORLON BATTLECRUISER, or anything else.
OR
2) Name the object anything you want, but then click on the blue "Select Image" link to the left of the Image Missing box on the object's information screen. You will then be able to manually choose an image to force the editor - and therefore the game - to display that image for the object.

Images can be used for an unlimited number of game objects, so don't think that each object must have a different image. If however you want to ensure an image is always the same as the image for another object (For instance, you want to make sure the Type 2 Automated Farm always has the same image as the Type 1 Automated Farm) then instead of clicking the Select Image link, click the "Link Image" link. You will then be presented with a lsit of all the structures that already have an associated image. Simply select which building you want the object to share an image with, and the game will always show the same image for both of the structures - even if you later change the image for the other structure, the editor and game will remember to display the new image for BOTH of the structures. It's a handy system. :)

02 Apr 2009, 22:46
Profile WWW
Crewman

Try this ... an 80x40 rough draft, there are several things I still want to change. I'm looking for feedback before I really get not picky with Memory Alpha.

Fed in Blue
Kling in Red
Rom in Green
Card in Yellow
Neutral Zones in Grey
Nebulas in Brown

I think this is pretty Go'ram good map ... Id love to havea game on it. Let me know what you think of the system distribution and concentration. It more or less matches the Star Trek Star Charts maps. I'll edit some systems off of it to maximize game play.

I'll also have commentors supporting Babylon 5 or other scifi references on a canon star trek map meet the back of muh hand ... and anyone who says the Star Charts Book isn't cannon will meet the back of muh other hand.

So say we all ... SO SAY WE ALL

Attachments:
File comment: Read and Comment Please
Canon 40x80.xls [30.5 KiB]
Downloaded 246 times
03 Apr 2009, 05:23
Crewman

Aquila wrote:
Try this ... an 80x40 rough draft, there are several things I still want to change. I'm looking for feedback before I really get not picky with Memory Alpha.

Fed in Blue
Kling in Red
Rom in Green
Card in Yellow
Neutral Zones in Grey
Nebulas in Brown

I think this is pretty Go'ram good map ... Id love to havea game on it. Let me know what you think of the system distribution and concentration. It more or less matches the Star Trek Star Charts maps. I'll edit some systems off of it to maximize game play.

I'll also have commentors supporting Babylon 5 or other scifi references on a canon star trek map meet the back of muh hand ... and anyone who says the Star Charts Book isn't cannon will meet the back of muh other hand.

So say we all ... SO SAY WE ALL

Just trying to fill out the unknown systems in Delta/Gamma Quads...

Excellent job on the map. Since the map needs to be 80X40, I was wondering if maybe more than one system can be in a square (sector) is possible and would help...

GB

06 Apr 2009, 02:50

You could do that easily enough in Excel GeorgiaBoy, but you can't do that in the game; it's one of the few things that can't be modded, and Mike never intends to change that because it's a core mechanic of the game. It would require major programming changes, changes to the way the maps are generated, changes to the way the map is displayed...it just wouldn't be worth it. If would also likely make the map much more confusing for players, not to mention the fact that the AI might get confused as well.

06 Apr 2009, 11:23
Profile WWW
Crewman

That map does assume that the Delta and Gamma Quad can be added. Which assumes its possible to create an impassible line on the 80x80 grid. Is it really that hard? I have very limited understanding of programming ... but it cant be that tough. Is there something I can do to help that process? Id love to see it come to realization. It would be very cool to see the wormhole between Bajor and Idran.

Just to further drive home the aw hell no answer to my impassible line gripe. Provided the idea of an the impassible line between the alpha and gamma quads came to fruition, I would then go on to argue for 10 (4X10) allies (10 impassable lines) to represent the Delta Quad. That way the players can simulate the path of voyager or simply conolize a system in the delta quad.

Also, should the answer be ah yell no ... my response would be.

Damn you sir, you will try.

-Aquila

07 Apr 2009, 01:38

I have no idea whether you can program an unpassable line. The closest alternative I can think of is to have a solid line of black holes, but ships still might manage to squeeze past and it wouldn't be very realistic. You would also have to force the creation of a Wormhole that bypasses the line of you would end up with the Dominion never meeting another empire and essentially have two games playing on the same map.

07 Apr 2009, 10:17
Profile WWW
Crewman

The original BotF had wormholes ... so I assumed it asa given

07 Apr 2009, 21:33
Crewman

An update ...

There are 4 tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet. The Gamma Quad has been populated in a 40x40 map. For amuzement an 80x80 map (Galaxy Tab)has been added to show the Alpha, Beta and Gamma Quads. There is a black border added to suggest and impassible line. Please let me know if you see any issues.

Attachments:
Canon 40x80.xls [62 KiB]
Downloaded 240 times
08 Apr 2009, 01:28
Crewman

Summary:
The attached document is a suggested map for Star Trek Supremacy. All depicted data comes from Memory Alpha and/or Star Trek Star Charts (with one exception in the Delta Quadrant, noted later under Delta Quadrant).
The attached 80 by 80 grid depicts several aspects of all Star Trek Series and Films. The lower 40 by 80 portion of the grid represents the Alpha and Beta Quadrant. The top left 40 by 40 shows the Gamma Quadrant and the top right 40 by 40 is the Delta Quadrant.

Legend:
Alpha and Beta Quadrants:
Playable Races:
Blue – United Federation of Planets
Red – Klingon Empire
Green – Romulan Star Empire
Yellow – Cardassian Union
Lighter shades denote territory

Non-Playable Races:
Black – Minor Races … Note: Color has been added to some non playable minor races for the sake understanding the map
Orange – Ferengi
Aqua Blue: – Tholians
Purple – Breen

Phenomenon:
Grey – Passageways covering great distances
Brown- Nebula

Gamma Quadrant:
Playable Race:
Purple – The Dominion
Lighter shades denote territory

Non-Playable Races and Features
Black – Minor Races

Phenomenon:
Grey – Passageways covering great distances
Brown - Nebula

Delta Quadrant:
Playable Races:
None

Non-Playable Races:
Black - Minor Races … Note: Color has been added to some non playable minor races for the sake understanding the map
Orange: Kazon
Dark Green: Vidiian
Bright Pink: The Swarm
Purple (Right): Nekrit Expanse
Bright Green: Borg (Includes Borg Structures)
Aqua Blue: Krenim
Olive Green: B’Omar
Purple (Left): Hirogen
Burgundy: Devore Imperium
Pink: The Hierarchy
Light Orange: Turei
Red: Fen Domar (Alternate Future Option, Includes Fen Domar Structures)

Alpha and Beta Quadrants:
Each major empire has been represented with defining color (See Legend for details)
According to Star Trek Star Charts, each square represents 20 light years. (Ship speed can be computed and altered between quadrants).

Gamma Quadrant:
Each major empire has been represented with defining color (See Legend for details). According to Star Trek Star Charts, each square represents 1000 light years.
Note …Game programmers might want to consider decreasing ship speed by an appropriate ratio.

Delta Quadrant:
Voyager’s long straight path through the Delta Quadrant has been illustrated in five consecutive segments. Each of these five segments has an impassible border (between segments and other quadrants), shown by a bold line. The only means of proceeding between columns (closer to the alpha and beta quadrant) is to move downward within the column. Each column has paired sections on the top and bottom of the column to its immediate left. For example, the bottom of the first column shows “The Swarm”, as does the top of the next column to the left. This is intended to give the user a sense of order and flow through the columns. When stacked side by side, these five segments can be shown in the 40 by 40 grid in the top right portion of the map. Using this method the user can simulate the path of voyager, make different choices than canon suggests (like befriending the Kazon) and/or colonize the Delta Quadrant. At the bottom of the forth column (numbered from right to left), the Borg Transwarp Hub and Nebula are depicted. The current suggested map allows the user to choose to try to enter the Borg Transwarp Hub or to proceed past it into the fifth column. The fifth column shows the alternate future Janeway described in the Voyager Series Finale. The fifth column has no reference to canon, besides the Borg Transwarp Hub, Nebula and the Fen Domar. Methodology of populating the last column is described in the disclaimer. Each major empire has been represented with defining color (See Legend for details). According to Star Trek Star Charts, each square represents 20 light years.

Assumptions:
1. No map can be perfectly canonical. This suggested arrangement attempts to come as close to canon as possible. There are many discrepancies and breaches of physics in Star Trek. The current suggested map attempts to take canon, physics and fun factor into account.

2. Wormholes can be created/ coded to match Birth of the Federation capability. The attached grid assumes a wormhole exists between Bajor and Idran and a passageway from the Badlands to the Caretaker Array. (Does not have to apply to a separate non-canonical map feature for the game)

3. Impassible borders can be created/ coded to separate the quadrants and sections of Voyager’s path. The impassible borders will the importance of the Bajoran wormhole and promote the use of all passages listed in Assumption -. These borders are shown as bold lines. (Does not have to apply to a separate non-canonical map feature for the game)

4. Nebulas can span multiple sectors (Does not have to apply to a separate non-canonical map feature for the game)

5. Some Minor Races have the ability to expand by colonization (and possibly subjugation?)

Disclaimer:
The fifth column has no reference to canon, besides the Borg Transwarp Hub, Nebula and the Fen Domar. All other data was fabricated specifically as filler. Each planet name was made by taking the name or nicknames of friends of mine and moving syllables or letters around.

Suggested means of criticism:
Any and all criticisms are welcome … again note that I’m aware the attached isn’t canon. I’m looking primarily for playability comments.
Do you, the potential user, think something can be added to make the map more fun to play or more accurate.
Known issues and inaccuracies with the Star Trek Star Charts book are documented well on Memory Alpha and elsewhere. I will take these issues into account as best I can.
I am a known horrific speller; spelling corrections are appreciated … but please include comments focusing on playability.

Note to Game Designers.
I can’t thank Mstrobel et al. enough for taking on this project. I’ve been waiting for the sequel for a good long while. Many of the suggestions above represent “impassible lines” for the programmers. This suggestion is a step in the continuing effort to find the merging point between “fun factor” and “realistic goals for the programmers

This concludes our proposal, thank you for your attention.
-Aquila

Attachments:
Canon 80x80.xls [100 KiB]
Downloaded 267 times
07 May 2009, 23:38
Cadet
Cadet

First I like what you did so far I hope you make it a cannon as possible. It would be cool to have a cannonmap to play BUT i thing some other stuff should be added like periods :idea:

1. Early (ENT)
2. Develpoed (TOS)
3. Sohisticated (TMP-the missed periot between TOS and TNG)
4. Advancet (TNG)
5. Supreme (post TNG - time of battle with Shinzon)

and i think that territories that each empire has should be ajusted accordingly
EXAMPLE for federation:
1. Feds only have Sol and contact has only been made with Vulcans
2. Feds have a small empire with a small fleet and so on

until you came to the size of empire in post TNG era-

I also found some maps that may help you with your map

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/Star_trek_map2.jpg
http://www.sttff.net/images/AST030.jpg

22 Aug 2009, 09:21
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next