View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 May 2024, 01:19

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 RE: 
Crewman

Post RE:
Just downloaded the game with the help of MStrobel. So far so good think its excellent. Just wanted to ask if the turn lag-time? Is it because my computer's bad? :P

23 Oct 2007, 15:33
Profile WWW
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hey Asfolas, welcome to the forums! :)

The lag that you speak of really does depend on the power of your computer - and unfortunately, that lag is gonna increase considerably once my updates have been added to the official release.

The amount of content that we are ading to the game is massive, and all that info needs processing power. More stuff means more power - or more lag. :(

HOWEVER, the game is still far from complete, and has undergone little to no optimisation. That means the game may not be using the power available to it as efficiently as possible, so some - perhaps a lot - may be being wasted. Until this is done though, we honestly won't know how much improvement can be gotten from the game. Optimisation will be one of the last things done to the programming to ensure the entire game is optimised though, not just part of it. This means you'll have to put up with lag for the time being, but i'm sure things will be better in the future. :wink:

Just out of interest, what are your system stats, (CPU, RAM, Graphics, etc) and how long is the turn lag? Info like this can help Mike (The developer) find if there are any incompatibilities etc that may be slowing down the game.

23 Oct 2007, 16:20
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Actually, Matress, I did some checking and the turn actual processing time only takes about 0.5 seconds. I need to figure out what's causing the long delay. It shouldn't take that long to update all the screens. I'll do some profiling this weekend.

Also, it turns out I wasn't purging the data that wasn't being used--so if you only had a dozen minor races in the game, the game state still had info for all the others. The amount of content shouldn't matter much, as the race and tech databases only get downloaded once (at the beginning of the game).

23 Oct 2007, 19:05
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Cool good news,

Do you need the other major races at the moment, considering my comp decided to die at the worst time lol.

Regards Wolfe

23 Oct 2007, 20:42

Lol I wouldn't worry too much about it, Wolfe. We can keep adding content as and when we make it. The game won't be complete for a long while yet anyways.

0.5 seconds eh, Mike? The turns are definitely taking longer than that on my computer - in the 25-30 second range at the mo. I'll send you my completed files once i'm done so you can see if it's my edits that are partially to blame, but turn processing took about 5 seconds - not 0.5 seconds - even before my edits...

24 Oct 2007, 22:26
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

I mean that the actual execution of the turn processing engine (all the game logic) only takes a fraction of a second. The perceived time in the game itself is much longer (several seconds), so I need to figure out where all that extra time is going. Your edits slowed my game down, Matress, and that's how I discovered that I wasn't purging data that's not needed for the game (e.g. of there were only 20 minor races in a small galaxy, the game state would still have info for the other 100 or so races). I think fixing that that brought it down to about where it was before, but I'd still like to speed it up. A lot. :?

24 Oct 2007, 23:05
Profile WWW

22 second turn processing time down to 3 seconds, Mike? Hell yeah the update worked! :mrgreen:

Now about certain other updates...*Matress is gagged by Mike*

:lol:

24 Oct 2007, 23:39
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

lol do tell :)

Managed to fix my comp, after spending 30 pounds on a new powersupply turns out it was my harddrive which was the problem, funny as it was i had unplugged my 2nd DVD which i though was a slave to the HD, after which bios decided to deny all knowledge of existance :), eventually plugin everything back in and having ntfs4dos fix the MBR got it all working for once.

Regards Wolfe

25 Oct 2007, 00:19

In my experience, the Harddrive is the least reliable part of a computer. Over the last 7 years (And two computers) i've gone through 5 hard drives. The first one was only 4Gb and my current one is 250Gb. Actually, now that I think about it, I need to make backups. It's about time for my harddrive to break... 8O :lol:

25 Oct 2007, 22:09
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]