View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 20:29

Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 THE MINOR RACE EMBLEMS 
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Category:Species

excelent list of star trek species and detailed info about them.

and by quadrant:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Alpha_a ... nt_species
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Gamma_Quadrant_species
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Delta_Quadrant_species
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Extra-galactic_species
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Spaceborne_species

28 Dec 2009, 11:13
Profile YIM WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Only one thing helps me and that is screen or image of race canon logo.

28 Dec 2009, 14:57
Cadet
Cadet

Zeleni wrote:
100 minors wondering around would make huge mess on galactic map. I don' t think mike will implement something like that, maybe only top minors with highest expansion ratio?? :D

Why not. That would be cool (NOTE: I didn't read the whole thread)

14 Feb 2010, 21:53
Cadet
Cadet

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
I know I will not be able to recall the race for each icon. It will, however, look nicer to see the different icons on the map in place of one maker for all. You could see that the ship over there is a different minor race than the one over here. Also it would just look nice having all that color and variety floating around.

My thought exactly

Malvoisin wrote:

well, no one of course. but you would instantly see if those minor fleets belong to different minors and not the same one. plus one could think of green, yellow and red thin frames around those logos to symbolize friendly, neutral and enemy minor fleets..

Great idea IMO

mstrobel wrote:
You do, of course, run into a problem if you have more than 3 races or so in the same sector, as you start running out of space for icons. If someone can suggest an elegant way of dealing with that and provide a mock-up, I'll consider it.

Lets say that if there are more than 1 minor races in that sector the icon will change to normal Minor race icon (the 1 from BOTF1)

Malvoisin wrote:
well that problem also happens when 3 or more majors are in one sector, so how did botf solved that problem again? Multiple logo display (more than 3 resp. 4) on such small grid scale is tedious to look on IMO. Even if it's done via tooltips or popups (who want those..?).

Well, one should ask oneself what's the purpose of those symbols, well, it's to quickly see any of yours, enemy's or neutral fleets on the map so you can manage them somehow.
Thereby it's not important on first glance how many of yours, enemy's or neutral parties are involved, it's just important for the eye, that it can see, there are some of them in this or that sector.

So the answer is relatively easy then. Stick to those three categories and find an algorithm that works in all constellations and gives you the best-possible overview while not overload galactic map view. Conveniently, 3 is exactly the number in question here, because as mike stated, more than 3 in one sector will be troublesome ;).

so let's get it done won't we ;):
First off, your symbol should always have top priority wherever you have fleets on the map. That means yours is always at the upper left corner of the sector whenever you are in a sector, be it crowded with other fleets or not.
If there are others, then at second below your logo, there'll be next strongest enemy major logo displayed if one is present. Strongest means overall strongest strategically (best military and economic value like in botf, based on your current intel so not to reveal too much information about minors' or majors' strengths). Also if only a minor allied or affiliated to your strongest enemy major is in the sector, it'll be displayed at that spot.
At third spot there will be the strongest neutral major shown. If no major's there, then the strongest neutral minor among the minors present.

In case of you not present in that sector, replace your symbol with the symbol of your strongest major resp. minor ally (same game as above in terms of display sequence). If no ally is in place, then either just scrap the upper left corner completely by making the placeholder transparent and have the other fleets shown as if you'd be there (i.e. in second and third place) or let them move up one step and let the enemy take over your upper left place and the neutral ones the former enemy place (my preferred solution..).

The only thing that is not shown with this algorithm and which I actually would like to see, is any of your allied fleets together with your fleets in one sector. The algorithm would only show your fleet and you'd never notice at first glance that there is an ally too in that sector. An enhancement to my algorithm ;) above would then be to add your strongest ally (if more than one again are in that sector) not below your symbol but next to it on right hand side. It should be feasible to do so since those logos are small enough to not screw the sector up totally on galaxy map.

After you click on such a sector you then see fully which fleets are in there and from whom so the algorithm does its job of making you aware of any ally, enemy or neutral party in all sectors on the map whilst maintaining a clean overall look! (now my paypal account is... :lol:)

Interesting. I think its a great idea

14 Feb 2010, 22:09
Crewman

Hi all, name is Tethys some of you might recognize me from the AFC site (hi Jigalypuff :D)

Anyway, I was looking for some logos for some minor races when I stumbled across this wonderful assortment of logos. I would like permission to use them in a BotF1 mod that I am currently working on called Galaxies Mod.

The idea behind using the logos is to replace the (image below) circled area with the Race-specific Logo

http://i46.tinypic.com/v6j32c.jpg

You have many races I could use, I only ask that you graciously allow me to use these wonderful and spectacular images in my mod. Fulle credit will be given to the author(s) if allowed.

Please, this is the most complete selection of graphics I've seen, and the coolest designs, I would very much appreciate your Logos :)

Sincerely, Tethys

Last edited by Tethys on 17 Jul 2010, 04:30, edited 2 times in total.

06 Jul 2010, 00:11
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Zeleni did those and you are right. They are outstanding. Why not send a private message here to him. (see new messages above) It is likely set to email him so he can read and answer your request. I can not imagine he would say no but asking is the right way to do it.
:borg:

06 Jul 2010, 04:44

I know about you Tethys, but since we lately had a problems with Lazarus, I will send you a PM on armadafleet command just to verify that this is really you. Sorry about the mistrust, but I hope you understand.

06 Jul 2010, 09:56
Profile YIM WWW
Crewman

No problem, I totally understand. We too at AFC had problems with Lazyass.. ahem... Lazarus... so PM away :)

Ah just checked my PMs over there, saw u PMd, sent one back. You should see that it is me, the real Tethys now, so I hope there is Np now :)

06 Jul 2010, 15:46

Thanks, and I really hope I didn't offend you.

06 Jul 2010, 16:36
Profile YIM WWW
Crewman

Well, you could start your apologies by welcoming me to these forums since 'I' have never been here.. :lol: lol j/k its np really ;)

06 Jul 2010, 17:26
8 of 9, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 001

Don't worry, I'll welcome you here :). Welcome to the forums Tethys. The first thing that told me you weren't a part of Lazarus's lot is your amazing use of sentence structure and grammar. The second thing giving you away is that you asked for permission to use material. Us Borg can sense these things. So, welcome again. :borg:

EDIT: by sentence structure and grammar, I mean Lazarus AND his entire lot has rather bad sentence structure and grammar. Makes me cringe sometimes :P.

May... now with expectedly warm weather!

06 Jul 2010, 17:33

Hehehehehe.

Welcome to the forums Tethys.

About the emblems, I'm sure that Zeleni will allow you to use them if you give him the credit. He is currently finishing collage for this year and probably won't be active until 20th of this month.

EDIT: Captain Andrew posted a few seconds before me.

06 Jul 2010, 17:33
Profile YIM WWW
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hey Tethys, I remember reading some of your posts on AFC. I admit that I rarely go over there now, so welcome to our forums. You're one of us now... :borg:

06 Jul 2010, 17:35
Profile WWW

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that with time Tethys, we will assimilate you into our collective. So prepare to be assimilated. :borg:

May... now with expectedly warm weather!

06 Jul 2010, 17:37
Crewman

Thanks guys.

And yes Andrew I try to be as grammatically correct as possible when asking permissions for other peoples works, I feel that it makes a better impression on them as well as strengthens the chances of me acquiring said material. It also lessens the chances of me looking like a total douchebag... erm I mean a total Lazarus...

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, Im sure Ill pop around here and there looking for some updates, and yes, Zeleni has allowed me to use his Logos which I am very happy about.

In time, I might come to embrace your assimilations.. ;)

Tethys

06 Jul 2010, 18:23

You will join us or die.

:Vader:

I know it's a different universe but I just had to say it.

06 Jul 2010, 19:20
Profile YIM WWW
Crewman

Thanks to Zeleni's wonderful T'Lani logo, here is an ingame screenshot. Nervermind the description just left of it, :lol: - in due time.

http://i27.tinypic.com/ek525j.jpg

I guess now its just the process of changing the *170.tga's for minor race buildings to match ;) Thanks Zeleni :D

08 Jul 2010, 07:22

You can use our descriptions if you want, tethys. :smile:

Quote:
The T'Lani race is highly sophisticated, and although they would have you believe otherwise, they are not quite within technological reach of the major powers. However, they would prove to be useful allies, but they are less than cooperative in the diplomatic arena, preferring to remain isolated. In the past they have engaged in many foolish conflicts, but their capability and technology have not matched their ambition. Although their war with the Kellerun is over, their biogenic research in developing the Harvesters weapon may contribute to Bio-Tech research.

The BOTF2 Minor Races Database

08 Jul 2010, 22:14
Profile WWW
Crewman

I would much like to use those if you are willing to let me. Thanks a bunch. Who do I credit in the mod?

09 Jul 2010, 00:12

I think that Dafedz wrote them.

09 Jul 2010, 06:47
Profile YIM WWW

Yeah, Dafedz wrote them, with beta reading and changes by me. Same goes with most of the database.

Dafedz unfortunately hasn't been on the forums in quite a long while, and hasn't updated the database with my latest comments, typo fixes, etc, but I doubt he'll have a problem with you using it as long as he's credited. The link I gave you above only takes you to the minor races portion of the database; you can find the database in its' entirety Here. You should find it useful. :smile:

09 Jul 2010, 14:42
Profile WWW
Crewman

How is it going over here? Just brushing up about to start working on my mod again ;)

12 Nov 2010, 18:13
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Slow and steady
We hope for a playable pre alpha soon
How is it going for you?

12 Nov 2010, 18:23

Slow and steady wins the race. We might not be rabbiting through the game, but we're definitely tortoise-ing lol.

Dafedz's database has undergone a few changes since you were last on here, Tethys. It's more up-to-date that is was, and we've got some new stuff in there too. There's still a lot work of work to be done on it, but we're getting there.

13 Nov 2010, 13:46
Profile WWW
Crewman

Ive been good thanks. Took a 3 month break from modding and now I think I am ready to get back into it with renewed strength! :P

And yes, been going through the Database and have seen some minors... and haven't seen some... as Ive been looking for minor race special structures, now that we have successfully been able to extend the buildings list by ~60 (i believe it was 66) and this is the maximum. So check out my thread in Info and Planning and tell me what you guys think :D

15 Nov 2010, 19:10
Reply to topic   [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6